• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Players don't need to play Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen for the sequl, director confirms

Draugoth

Gold Member
dragons-dogma-2-b-1440x810.jpg

In an interview with GamesRadar, Hideaki Itsuno pointed out that while the sequel borrows elements from its predecessor, including the plot and the Pawns who follow the player, no prior knowledge of the series will be necessary before playing.

According to Itsuno, the protagonist will start the game with amnesia, meaning they have no idea what happened during the events of the first game. As such, the player will learn the backstory of the first Dragon’s Dogma as the hero does.

The game starts off with a main character who has lost their memory,” Itsuno explained, adding that the game will have characters around you [explaining] things to get you up to speed.
So even if this is your first time playing Dragon’s Dogma, you can safely dive in

Source

This is not Nier, it is Dragon's Dogma, the story can probably be summarised in a 5 minute YT video. I do not mean that as a bad thing either.

Last edited:

SCB3

Thats good as I did try and play it the other week and it wasn't gripping me after a few hours, it does feel very much a 2012 game in the worst ways

ssringo

That's cool and all but other than the stuff at the very beginning and end it wasn't that important and can be summed up in a tweet or two. The beginning stuff was fairly common knowledge (in the game world) and wasn't that deep. The endgame stuff would only be known by, if I remember correctly, your pawn and Selene. Don't really get why amnesia is a needed plot point unless they're rectonning the first game though it's certainly possible that it's not actually necessary and they're just saying so to alleviate any worries players might have about not playing the first game.

It would be quite cool to play as your pawn from the first game though. I can import her!

I think I’ve tried to play the first one like half a dozen times, and despite really trying to get into it about a month ago, I just ended up shelving it again.

I think I just lose interest because despite having a bunch of cool special moves and abilities it doesn’t seem like the game’s combat encounters are anything other than DPS races. It’s either you’re high enough level/gear to deal with what you’re fighting, or you’re not.

It’s not challenging Like Souls games, Character Action games, or even Monster Hunter. In those games having a bunch of different types of attacks and experimenting with them is necessary to succeed. DD is just pick your flavor of DPS. And it also doesn’t have much of a story or interesting characters so I just don’t see what so special about it.

DD2 will have to change something to make me want to get it.

Top Bottom