• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing MGS2 for the first time...

silenttwn

There's no reason for all the hate MGS2 gets. I like it as much as the first game. I even like the story. Yeah, you heard me right. I used to hate it because it's cheesy and sloppy as hell. But that's because I had in my mind the idea that MGS1 had some great story that lacked these flaws. But it doesn't. Because I had played the first MGS way back in high school, when I had no clue how to judge story pacing and content, I had some glorified version of Metal Gear Solid stuck in my head, but then I replayed it. That said, MGS1 is no better than MGS2. People might like MGS1 better because of the love story... which is actually way better than 2's (Meryl was a great character). But everything else is just as good in the sequel. Sure, you don't get to play as Snake. But all the game's greatest moments have Snake present and he's usually in the spotlight. And I like Raiden. I just fucking hate Rose. A lot. Seriously.

But in the end, MGS3 is infinitely cooler than both games.

sammy

gblues,

I'd have to agree with you ... Raiden is no more silly than Mr. Rollerblading Fatt-Boss Character...
The whole MGS series screams Saturday-Morning cartoon - I think that's why I liked it so much.... But the drama never gripped me enough to care if I was Raiden or Snake at all.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gblues said:
I'm nearly at the end. I saved at the Solidus boss fight--there was literally 30 minutes of cutscenes between that and the next previous save point (The RAY fight).

Holy shit, the Metal Gear RAY model is weak as hell. I thought in the Tanker chapter they were saying it could withstand HEAT rounds, yet 4 well-timed stinger missiles kills it? The missiles don't home worth shit (at least REX's missiles would hit you if you weren't running full tilt the entire time). The laser is easy as hell to avoid.

Even with 3 attacking at the same time, it was a cakewalk. If the game hadn't forced me to stop, I coulda taken on all 25 RAYs.

I see what the rest of you guys were saying about the plot... but I'm still enjoying it. I wonder if they made Rose into a spy because they just couldn't get a convincing VA performance out of her and so explained it away that she was faking it the entire time. :)

Having Campbell go grazy-go-nuts inside Arsenal Gear was interesting. Especially when he started reading scripts from MGS/VR Missions/Metal Gear 1 (complete with video from the original game).

Something that's odd is that Raiden reveals that he never went through VR and actually had hands-on experience from his childhood, yet after that Ocelot still refers to Raiden's VR training. So did he have VR training or not?

Nathan

To all the idiots posting spoilers, a hearty "Fuck You."

:p

gblues

Banned
silenttwn said:
There's no reason for all the hate MGS2 gets. I like it as much as the first game. I even like the story. Yeah, you heard me right. I used to hate it because it's cheesy and sloppy as hell. But that's because I had in my mind the idea that MGS1 had some great story that lacked these flaws. But it doesn't. Because I had played the first MGS way back in high school, when I had no clue how to judge story pacing and content, I had some glorified version of Metal Gear Solid stuck in my head, but then I replayed it. That said, MGS1 is no better than MGS2. People might like MGS1 better because of the love story... which is actually way better than 2's (Meryl was a great character). But everything else is just as good in the sequel. Sure, you don't get to play as Snake. But all the game's greatest moments have Snake present and he's usually in the spotlight. And I like Raiden. I just fucking hate Rose. A lot. Seriously.

But in the end, MGS3 is infinitely cooler than both games.

I just finished the game, and I have to agree about Rose. After the way she treats you after you find out the truth about her, I'd expect Raiden to blow her away when she shows up at the Federal Building.

Nathan

TheDiave

Banned
gblues said:
The only explanation that makes sense is that the haters are just bitter that you don't play as Solid Snake for most of the game.
There you have it. That's why I'll probably never finish the game. Raiden is a bitch.

b_dawk

Koshiba said:
Rose was like the annoying girlfriend from hell. It's like.. Dude, I'm in the middle of a mission, stop calling me and asking me annoying questions! She really got on my nerves. I feel sorry for guys that really have girlfriends like that..

I really, really have to agree. I hated Rose and her annoying need to talk non-stop about her relationship with Blondie. "Do you know what day it is?" I mean come on, he's on a fucking solo mission to like, save the world, does he give a shit if it's your fucking anniversary or whatever?

Other than that though, I loved the game. Especially the first part. I like that I can reply the part with Snake in just a few hours, that was a whole game in itself, IMO.

Gamedude

About those Rose parts, I agee she was annoying.. though, you have to know most of the conversations with her are being held AFTER you save.. so you don't have to go through that bullshit that much. (it's not like she called you that frequently due the mission)

Top Bottom