• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2’s Sleek Redesign Is The Logical Progression For The 2026 PS6 Gaming Console

sainraja

PLAYSTATION 2’S SLEEK REDESIGN IS THE LOGICAL PROGRESSION FOR THE 2026 PS6 GAMING CONSOLE

Rtf5gcE.jpg

From the article:
Take the PlayStation 2 Slimline and give it those subtle modifications – the perfect recipe for the upcoming Sony gaming console speculated for the 2026 release, don’t you think?

Right when Sony launched the PlayStation gaming console back in 1994, gaming was set to get a turbo boost into the new era. Ever since all gamers have been bestowed with the evolving graphics and gripping gameplay of winning PlayStation titles like Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider Tekken and Gran Turismo. In the battle that’s been going out between Microsoft and Sony, the PlayStation has evolved to be the more popular of the two. That said, out of all the PlayStation gaming consoles released so far, the PlayStation 2 Slimline still impresses with its sleek form factor, and a design akin to gamers liking.

Article:

Looks pretty neat and there are more pictures in the article.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
DVD players (Sony's included) became thin like that, so was the natural progression and shit

sainraja

Yeah, I could have re-formatted the title but it was pretty much a copy/paste of the article's title. :D
If a mod wants to, then they can update it to sentence case, just copy paste this as the title: Playstation 2’s Sleek Redesign Is The Logical Progression For The 2026 Ps6 Gaming Console

Last edited:

sainraja

That wouldn't be able to avoid ignition with PS5 let alone PS6 specs insides
Yeah, I don't think it's realistic. I came across the article and thought if the PS2 slim was actually like that how cool would it have been. The Slim PS2 was cool, don't get me wrong — I traded my fat PS2 towards it but still.

Last edited:
Somebody likes that Jet Engine start up sound from PS4s, and wants it amplified by 10.

I love how the PS5 looks. It’s clean, but anything but safe design. All my iPhones have become boring. All my electronics are boring.

It does need to be thinner, the disc one specifically. Symmetry is a MUST.

reezoo

I think Sony alternates between rounded vs straight design
PS1 - has rounded / curved design
PS2 - straight lines
PS3 - has rounded / curved
PS4 - straight lines
PS5 - rounded / curved
PS6 - we can guess it will be mostly straight lines, close to PS2/PS4

OZ9000

Banned
PLAYSTATION 2’S SLEEK REDESIGN IS THE LOGICAL PROGRESSION FOR THE 2026 PS6 GAMING CONSOLE

Rtf5gcE.jpg

From the article:

Article:

That looks like the best looking console ever.

The Xbox Series S looks really nice as well.

Sadly the PS5 looks like dogshit. I will refuse to purchase one until they make the design more conservative as above.

Atrus

Gold Member
I doubt a PS6 will be available by 2026 when barely a quarter of PS5 demand has been met.

We’ll maybe get a PS5 Pro in a couple years but the chip shortage will lengthen the lifespan.

Fahdis

Wow that thing is as beautiful as the original slim maybe even better. If PS6 looks like that, I'm still not buying it though. My days for consoles are over the moment they started selling Resolution Upgrade and 60 fps for $10 more.

T8SC

Firstly - 2026 PS6?

images

Secondly - The PS2 (Fat or slim) were the ugliest Playstation designs. They were two different sized boxes glued on to each other. Even the finger print magnet that was the PS3 fat was a nicer looking machine.

Given how power hungry upcoming graphics hardware is expected to be, PS6 is more likely to ship in a server cabinet than a case that small.

Roxkis_ii

PS2 Slim is the best looking console on both size and design, ever.
Excuse me, the PSone would like to have a word with you.

CTBGMp5.jpg

Look at those sexy curves, at those big, satisfying buttons, begging lustfully for a gamers touch. How could anyone deny perfection!?

If I ever got rich enough, I would commission a ridiculously sized oil painting to hang in my bed room. It would greet me with the morning sun each morning and remind me that there is true beauty in this world.

clintar

CTBGMp5.jpg

Look at those sexy curves, at those big, satisfying buttons, begging lustfully for a gamers touch. How could anyone deny perfection!?

If I ever got rich enough, I would commission a ridiculously sized oil painting to hang in my bed room. It would greet me with the morning sun each morning and remind me that there is true beauty in this world.
And put strategically placed buttons behind it that run to your ps5 power and eject buttons?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

CTBGMp5.jpg

2nd place.

SScorpio

Firstly - 2026 PS6?
PSX - JP - 12/03/1994
PS2 - JP - 03/04/2000 - 5 years, 3 months
PS3 - JP - 11/11/2006 - 6 years, 8 months
PS4 - NA - 11/15/2013 - 7 years
PS5 - NA/JP - 11/12/2020 - 7 years

NES - 1983
SNES - 1990 - 7 years
N64 - 1996 - 6 years
GC - 2001 - 5 years
Wii - 2006 - 5 years
Wii U - 2012 - 6 years
Switch - 2017 - 5 years

So, 2026 isn't an outlandish estimate. It will depend on if there are mid-gen consoles like the Pro and X this time around. Though I doubt we'll see a surge in the movement to 8K like we did with the move from 1080p to 4K in the PS4 and Xbox One lives. We'll also have to see the advancements on the PC side, 2012-2018 was mostly flat with Intel doing boring 15% gen over gen improvements. AMD was treading water trying to stay alive, the 2017 Ryzen let them compete in the budget space, but the 2019 Zen 2 that are in the PS5 and XSX are where they started being serious competition for the crown.

In the GPU space, AMD is being competitive in the high-end market again, and Intel is entering the ring. We'll see how quickly things progress. In the late 90s to early 00s of the PC gaming space, there were periods where a CPU couldn't run games that less than two years after the CPU was released. I don't think we'll see increases that large, but it will be much faster than the previous gen.

T8SC

PSX - JP - 12/03/1994
PS2 - JP - 03/04/2000 - 5 years, 3 months
PS3 - JP - 11/11/2006 - 6 years, 8 months
PS4 - NA - 11/15/2013 - 7 years
PS5 - NA/JP - 11/12/2020 - 7 years

NES - 1983
SNES - 1990 - 7 years
N64 - 1996 - 6 years
GC - 2001 - 5 years
Wii - 2006 - 5 years
Wii U - 2012 - 6 years
Switch - 2017 - 5 years

So, 2026 isn't an outlandish estimate. It will depend on if there are mid-gen consoles like the Pro and X this time around. Though I doubt we'll see a surge in the movement to 8K like we did with the move from 1080p to 4K in the PS4 and Xbox One lives. We'll also have to see the advancements on the PC side, 2012-2018 was mostly flat with Intel doing boring 15% gen over gen improvements. AMD was treading water trying to stay alive, the 2017 Ryzen let them compete in the budget space, but the 2019 Zen 2 that are in the PS5 and XSX are where they started being serious competition for the crown.

In the GPU space, AMD is being competitive in the high-end market again, and Intel is entering the ring. We'll see how quickly things progress. In the late 90s to early 00s of the PC gaming space, there were periods where a CPU couldn't run games that less than two years after the CPU was released. I don't think we'll see increases that large, but it will be much faster than the previous gen.

Given that each generation is getting longer, and the supply problems being experienced over the past year or so, I think 2027-2028 is likely to be more accurate.

I don't trust Sony's console hardware designers with something that slim. Microsoft, maybe. The One X was the most well built console I've ever owned, and the X and S have followed. The PS5 is a monster, and the PS4 before it constantly screamed in pain every time I attempted to play a game.

squarealex

CTBGMp5.jpg

So creamy

Banjo64

cumsessed
Also apart from the ridiculous notion that you could fit a 20tf console in that form factor - 2026? Really? Try 2029.

Spaceman292

Banned

Rtf5gcE.jpg

From the article:

Article:

Wow it's a black plastic box that doesn't exist. This was a great thread.

DragonNCM

Rtf5gcE.jpg

From the article:

Article:

Damn good design but I don't think new tech will fit in it. Maybe if we have luck PS5 will get redisgh similar to this.

Top Bottom