• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 game reveals can't come soon enough! What are your expectations?

Our first look at new games for a new generation of platforms are among some of the most exciting times for gamers. It's the breath of fresh air that livens up message boards, where the graphics on display are scrutinized but also admired in some capacity for being new. Even little comments about the sound design add to how cool the presentation might be. At least this is how it was when Sony revealed Killzone: Shadow Fall and that it only used half of the available memory of the then-new PlayStation 4 PlayStation 4 nearly seven years ago.

A common post I remember reading back then when the PlayStation 4 games were revealed was how they finally looked good enough to enjoy alongside new PC games and this makes sense when you consider the jump to x86-64 architecture. But there were also concerns about developers tapping into the full power of the PS4 relatively quicker than the PS3.

Now I don't claim to know everything about hardware specs - I try my best to follow along and generally understand every other word - but as I understand it everyone wants a strong CPU in the PS5 and Xbox Two. A strong GPU doesn't mean much if the CPU is comparatively weak like the Jaguar. And honestly if that translates to an extra hundred dollars on the retail price at launch, for what is a long-term investment to gamers anyway (six plus years of next-gen gaming) then so be it. Also, the games will look even better!

But yeah, for the most part I'm just really excited to see those PlayStation 5 game reveals. Back then we saw new rendering technology in a couple tech demos showcasing hardware tessellation. Nowadays it looks like real-time raytracing is what is getting most people excited. And I think that's cool because hopefully it will replace cube map reflections which have always looked weird to me.

Last edited:

Ellery

I think that it will take some time until we see true next gen games and trailers with early PS5 multiplat and crossgen titles won't look better than FF7 Remake, The Last of Us 2, Ghosts of Tsushima etc.
We will probably see some AAA exclusive bangers in late 2021 or 2022 that will make our jaws drop.

Of course Sony will try to present the PS5 in the best possible light and we get 1 or 2 games that look pretty good in 2020 to "showcase" the PS5, but it won't be like Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4 levels of improvements.

My hopes are that games look prettier when you look closely and less "flat". RayTracing can be nice and I am already playing Metro and Control with RTX and it is something that can help a lot and you most miss it after you played RTX games and look at non-RTX games and those games seem a bit "wrong".

One thing I have to add is that games looked fantastic this generation and while there is a lot of room for improvement I think the jumps will be smaller even though they will require 6x the performance, but that performance jump won't result in 6x better graphics.

Fake

Horizon Zero Dawn 2, GT offline, The Order II, a racing game like Forza Horizon, maybe Killzone as well.

As much I expecting real next gen games, gonna replay all my catalogue on PS5.

Ar¢tos

That it has Netflix from day one and plays ps4 games, so I can have only 1 console on my table. (I'm easy to please)

brap

Banned
The same exact games we've been playing since the PS3 era but looking slightly prettier. Oh and a bunch of worthless remasters.

Fbh

The first game they showed during the Ps4 reveal was Knack.
So for the Ps5 it has to be Knack 3!!!!!

E0Kqvw9.gif

And I know I'll be disappointed but I'm still hoping they announce a type of backwards compatibility that makes "remasters" irrelevant.... make it like PC where I don't have to rebuy a game to get the benefits of a new graphics card.

Bryank75

Banned
A Ratchet & Clank sequel to the reboot that ups the arsenal and doubles down on the most fun parts... like that traversal using jetpacks. Maybe more collectibles and some Mario Galaxy inspirations....

Gran Turismo 7 with proper campaign and a touring mode, where you can drive cars along some of the most picturesque roads in the world, updated with one every few months (because they would be so big).

Horizon 2 (as mentioned above - with incredible graphics) improved side quests and more traversal options that feel really great. Improved human combat and more robots.

A new exclusive Hideo Kojima horror game.

Demons Souls remake and a new From exclusive. (Bloodborne 2)

A new Socom multiplayer game with innovative tactical elements, deployment methods. accurate bullet penetration of cover. Use of helicopter approaches and sub-aqua infiltration to target. Wall and door breaching options to access target.

Street Fighter V updated with better graphics, performance and quality of life stuff. Instant loading!

Spider-man 2 with some multiverse elements, crossover hero parts. Faster top speed swinging. More combat options, suits and building interiors. More interesting side-missions. Re-playable bossbattles and mix and match double bosses.

vkbest

The first game they showed during the Ps4 reveal was Knack.
So for the Ps5 it has to be Knack 3!!!!!

E0Kqvw9.gif

And I know I'll be disappointed but I'm still hoping they announce a type of backwards compatibility that makes "remasters" irrelevant.... make it like PC where I don't have to rebuy a game to get the benefits of a new graphics card.
Buy a PC, if rumors are true, you will have all games on PC without console limitations

magnumpy

I look forward to the limitation of ps4 era games being lifted. even if you have an uber powerful PC these games where all developed knowing that they would ultimately have to run on ps4/xbox1 and that influenced what they would ultimately become :(

Fbh

Buy a PC, if rumors are true, you will have all games on PC without console limitations

What rumors? I seriously doubt Sony will be bringing their heavy hitters to PC (other than maybe streaming)
If they do it'd be awesome though

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
More adventure titles.

I would enjoy some new Ape Escape game with open arms. And theres hope for Bloodborne 2 too.

Mista

Banned
I just need a God of War sequel and a release date for Ghost of Tsushima

Whatever they release later won’t be as exciting as the two I mentioned

I just need a God of War sequel and a release date for Ghost of Tsushima

Whatever they release later won’t be as exciting as the two I mentioned
I really think Ghost of Tsushima is going to be something special. Like how The Last of Us was the swan song of the PS3, this will be the case for Sucker Punch's new IP on the PS4.

sMTw7f3.gif

It would be really cool if God of War 2 was their PS5 game reveal alongside the new console. It would also make sense considering Kratos is the most recognizable PlayStation character. Who better to get people hyped for the next generation?

A new Socom multiplayer game with innovative tactical elements, deployment methods. accurate bullet penetration of cover. Use of helicopter approaches and sub-aqua infiltration to target. Wall and door breaching options to access target.
I definitely think enough time has passed to where they can reboot SOCOM and have it play like the original PS2 games. My only question is which studio within SIE could be tasked with developing it since Zipper was shuttered?

Mista

Banned
I really think Ghost of Tsushima is going to be something special. Like how The Last of Us was the swan song of the PS3, this will be the case for Sucker Punch's new IP on the PS4.

sMTw7f3.gif

It would be really cool if God of War 2 was their PS5 game reveal alongside the new console. It would also make sense considering Kratos is the most recognizable PlayStation character. Who better to get people hyped for the next generation?
I’ll keep what I think of TLoU to myself. As for Ghost, I’m having high hopes with this one. The whole setting, gameplay and all that sucked me in. Hopefully the controls doesn’t ruin all that

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I expect to see nothing but current gen ports and maybe 1-2 "true" PS5 games.

I expect Sony will mostly show off how fast Spider-Man loads, or how smooth Jedi Last Order, The Last of Us 2, or Final Fantasy VII Remake run on next-gen hardware. And probably Knack 3 or a new Infamous game that showcases the hardware.

I’ll keep what I think of TLoU to myself. As for Ghost, I’m having high hopes with this one. The whole setting, gameplay and all that sucked me in. Hopefully the controls doesn’t ruin all that
Oh yeah, I just mean to say it will be received positively. Funny thing about The Last of Us is that my first time playing it I didn't get very far into it before dropping it to play something else - only when I picked it up again was when I appreciated it more. Mostly I just thought the university looked really good and if it were up to me the entire game would have revolved around it.

Ghost of Tsushima will likely be good from the very beginning though no doubt about that.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Oh yeah, I just mean to say it will be received positively. Funny thing about The Last of Us is that my first time playing it I didn't get very far into it before dropping it to play something else - only when I picked it up again was when I appreciated it more. Mostly I just thought the university looked really good and if it were up to me the entire game would have revolved around it.

Ghost of Tsushima will likely be good from the very beginning though no doubt about that.
Honestly for me I finished it in like two sittings. I also agree with the university part! GoT’s theme is enough for me man. You don’t know how much this setting just gets me every damn time

Not expecting a mad story but a decent one maybe. Characters so far looks interesting

Vawn

Banned
I want God of War 2, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, Spider-Man 2, Bloodborne 2, Demon's Souls Remake, Demon's Souls 2, new Ratchet and Clank, new IPs.

I don't really want any more Uncharted. I think it is time to move on, as good as they were.

I expect to see nothing but current gen ports and maybe 1-2 "true" PS5 games.

I expect Sony will mostly show off how fast Spider-Man loads, or how smooth Jedi Last Order, The Last of Us 2, or Final Fantasy VII Remake run on next-gen hardware. And probably Knack 3 or a new Infamous game that showcases the hardware.
I think Sucker Punch would be busy with Ghost of Tsushima right now but I'm really hoping there are B teams within the SIE development studios, not just Naughty Dog, that have been working on other unannounced games.

Top Bottom