• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 game reveals can't come soon enough! What are your expectations?

Our first look at new games for a new generation of platforms are among some of the most exciting times for gamers. It's the breath of fresh air that livens up message boards, where the graphics on display are scrutinized but also admired in some capacity for being new. Even little comments about the sound design add to how cool the presentation might be. At least this is how it was when Sony revealed Killzone: Shadow Fall and that it only used half of the available memory of the then-new @PlayStation 4 nearly seven years ago.

A common post I remember reading back then when the PlayStation 4 games were revealed was how they finally looked good enough to enjoy alongside new PC games and this makes sense when you consider the jump to x86-64 architecture. But there were also concerns about developers tapping into the full power of the PS4 relatively quicker than the PS3.

Now I don't claim to know everything about hardware specs - I try my best to follow along and generally understand every other word - but as I understand it everyone wants a strong CPU in the PS5 and Xbox Two. A strong GPU doesn't mean much if the CPU is comparatively weak like the Jaguar. And honestly if that translates to an extra hundred dollars on the retail price at launch, for what is a long-term investment to gamers anyway (six plus years of next-gen gaming) then so be it. Also, the games will look even better!

But yeah, for the most part I'm just really excited to see those PlayStation 5 game reveals. Back then we saw new rendering technology in a couple tech demos showcasing hardware tessellation. Nowadays it looks like real-time raytracing is what is getting most people excited. And I think that's cool because hopefully it will replace cube map reflections which have always looked weird to me.

Killzone Shadow fall looked better than any pc game at the time and even today playstation exclusives look better than raytraced pc games, and also not only killzone used half the ram available every PS4 game used half the ram! It's only 5.5 GB available for games! Anyway.

G
I want God of War 2, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, Spider-Man 2, Bloodborne 2, Demon's Souls Remake, Demon's Souls 2, new Ratchet and Clank, new IPs.

I don't really want any more Uncharted. I think it is time to move on, as good as they were.
You mean god of war 5!

We're not prepared for what's to come. Sony first party devs are not coding for a 4TF machine. PS5 games will stand-out just like they did this gen.

Maxpayne 4, splinter cell, ninja garden 3, mercernaries, bad company 3, true crime, get away, new jet Lee rise to honour, god of war 5, fight night, lastly a new rally game to show of graphics effects like simulating mud voleteic dust like motorstorm cgi trailers.

Rayderism

I gonna have to admit, what my expectations are, and what I want, are two very different things. And I know those two aspects will very rarely intersect. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt I am.

sendit

I want to know why Sony are so quiet and why Microsoft are so vocal.

What are Sony keeping under wraps?

Agreed. Something tells me these two articles detailing key specs for the PS5 are fake:

Humans are visual learners. Sony take a note from Microsofts playbook:

"It's going to usher in resolutions and frame rates that we have never seen before" -MS engineer :messenger_tears_of_joy:
"Frame rate at up to 120 FPS" -MS engineer :messenger_tears_of_joy:
"next gen raytracing" -MS engineer :messenger_tears_of_joy:
"it is real time because it is hardware accelerated for the first time ever" -MS engineer :messenger_tears_of_joy:
"the combination of the SSD and the solid state drive" -MS engineer :messenger_astonished:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I just hope that they don't rush their best brands for launch.

Give devs their time.

Last edited:
Agreed. Something tells me these two articles detailing key specs for the PS5 are fake:

Humans are visual learners. Sony take a note from Microsofts playbook:

"It's going to usher in resolutions and frame rates that we have never seen before" -MS engineer :messenger_tears_of_joy:
"Frame rate at up to 120 FPS" -MS engineer :messenger_tears_of_joy:
"next gen raytracing" -MS engineer :messenger_tears_of_joy:
"it is real time because it is hardware accelerated for the first time ever" -MS engineer :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I think every discussion Sony has had about the specs of the PS5 have been fake. I'm convinced that Cerny leaked the Xbox specs and while i don't think the two consoles will be far a part powerwise, I don't believe Sony are willing to say anything until Microsoft commits 100% to their strategy

H4ze

I know I know... but I would kill for a Demon Souls remake :S

Also a new KZ, I liked Shadow Fall as a launche titel, got me excited for the new generation.

Kagero

I think remasters as PS5 exclusives makes a lot of sense. Less financial commitment because of the small install base. Make a Warhawk/ Resistence1/ Killzone2 with beefed up graphics to showcase what next gen could look like. If they do this, And I’m in 100%

God Enel

I think remasters as PS5 exclusives makes a lot of sense. Less financial commitment because of the small install base. Make a Warhawk/ Resistence1/ Killzone2 with beefed up graphics to showcase what next gen could look like. If they do this, And I’m in 100%

The multiplayer modes for those games have been so good. Loved all of them and put quite a few hours in!

TimFL

I think every discussion Sony has had about the specs of the PS5 have been fake. I'm convinced that Cerny leaked the Xbox specs and while i don't think the two consoles will be far a part powerwise, I don't believe Sony are willing to say anything until Microsoft commits 100% to their strategy
That's not how it works though. Developers need dev builds to get games ready for launch, the dev builds are already out there.

I'm expecting some lackluster next gen games.
I want to know why Sony are so quiet and why Microsoft are so vocal.

What are Sony keeping under wraps?
Probably because this gen is already over for Microsoft and it ended a long time ago, so this is a fresh start for them to move on from the Xbox One controversies. They have changed their strategy and they want everyone to know. Sony on the other hand has a successful machine that is still selling very well and still has plenty of games coming out for it that they don't want to draw attention from. I really don't think there is much more to it. Microsoft is eager to move on, Sony wants to keep selling PS4s.

Last edited:
I expect a From exclusive and HZD2.

probably a host of AAA “ultra-remasters” of different sorts.

Oh and

Knack 3

🤷‍♂️

I’d be down for The Order 2 if it was expanded locations and grander scale. im not saying go full open world or anything, stick with the game’s style and strengths, just go “bigger” with them

thelastword

Banned
I think Sony first party will shine even more next gen than this one...…...These guys gave us DC, HZD, GTS, GOW, ORDER 1886, UC4/LL, TLG, SOTC remake on jaguar cores and 1.84TF...….These guys will do incredible things on RDNA 2 and Zen 4000.....They will make your eyes bleed from what you will see on screen...….Mark my words, when first party games start showing around June next year, people will say, GTFO, this is only possible on a 4080Ti.....

Top Bottom