• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Celcius

°Temp. member
Wow 2 years goes by fast. I’m not sure I own a single ps5 exclusive game that isn’t on ps4 as well. This gen has felt more like a “ps4 pro pro” in many ways. Next year should hopefully see less cross gen games.

BouncyFrag

712ed4.jpg

BouncyFrag

Is the PS5 directors cut upgrade to Ghost of Tushima worth it? I loved it on PS4 and enjoy replaying big games.

Edit: I forgot to type the game name. 🤦

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is the PS5 directors cut upgrade to Ghost of Tushima worth it? I loved it on PS4 and enjoy replaying big games.

Edit: I forgot to type the game name. 🤦
Yes, and the DLC is awesome! Plus I like the way they utilize the dualsense controller as well. Then you get the upgrade to native 4K instead of the checkerboard 1800p.

Durask

Looks like PS5 is easier to get now, hopefully Sony finally got its act together.
Went to a tracker website on a whim, told me Walmart had them in stock, managed to order one with ETA before Nov 30.
Then a day later got invitation from Amazon, so cancelled the Walmart one since it was not going to ship until end of the month and got the one from Amazon.

BouncyFrag

Looks like PS5 is easier to get now, hopefully Sony finally got its act together.
Went to a tracker website on a whim, told me Walmart had them in stock, managed to order one with ETA before Nov 30.
Then a day later got invitation from Amazon, so cancelled the Walmart one since it was not going to ship until end of the month and got the one from Amazon.
I just got mine via Amazon invite. I couldn’t believe how easy it was.

splattered

Alrighty so wife came home with the disc Ragnarok ps5 console bundle. Gonna pick up a few games and an extra controller soon... Wondering what I should do about a bigger SSD hard drive though. Are there any current good deals on large internal SSD drives? Do I need to replace the drive first before using the ps5 or could I move things around with an external etc?

splattered

Also, can we play ps4 games off an external drive? I can Google all that but don't remember, seems like we couldn't for a while? Most of my ps4 library is physical.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Also, can we play ps4 games off an external drive? I can Google all that but don't remember, seems like we couldn't for a while? Most of my ps4 library is physical.
Yes. I use a 1TB Samsung T5 to play all my PS4 games off of and cold storage some PS5 games I am putting on ice for a while. I went with the T5 over the T7 since the T7 tends to run too hot (some say it's just an overlocked T5 with DRAM cache removed) and the T5 runs nice and cool. PS4 games load much faster to boot. Much, much faster, actually.

Last edited:

splattered

Yes. I use a 1TB Samsung T5 to play all my PS4 games off of and cold storage some PS5 games I am putting on ice for a while. I went with the T5 over the T7 since the T7 tends to run too hot (some say it's just an overlocked T5 with DRAM cache removed) and the T5 runs nice and cool. PS4 games load much faster to boot. Much, much faster, actually.

Thank you! i don't know what half that means haha but i did search and find that everyone states you can unplug the external on your PS4 and use it on the PS5. Sweet.

How many PS5 games can generally be stored on the stock internal? I'm not going to go crazy buying PS5 games as Xbox is still my primary system, but wondering if purchasing a pricey replacement internal SSD is worth it or not - at least initially?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thank you! i don't know what half that means haha but i did search and find that everyone states you can unplug the external on your PS4 and use it on the PS5. Sweet.

How many PS5 games can generally be stored on the stock internal? I'm not going to go crazy buying PS5 games as Xbox is still my primary system, but wondering if purchasing a pricey replacement internal SSD is worth it or not - at least initially?
Depends on the size of the game. On average, the games are 20-30% smaller than they are on the PS4/XSX due to the Kraken compression the PS5 uses. I still have yet to fully use it up, since I no longer packrat game installs. Here are my current installs on both drives. What is nice too, is that PS4 games can be set (it's on by default when one is plugged in) to install on the external.

fGXK0kC.jpg

vQQ9Uqd.jpg

wwBzz9o.jpg

MbkVvpE.jpg

1LUGchE.jpg

1iQNqkD.jpg

Last edited:

splattered

Alright maybe i'll stick with the stock internal for now... i dont' play to install tons on it anyway. Is there a way to transfer games on the internal to a new internal or does that just take shuffling internal games to external and then into the new internal once installed? There is only one internal bay right? Don't remember.

splattered

Planning on using this basically as a Sony exclusives machine. So far the physical games i've picked up for it are Ragnarok with the system, Demon's Souls, Nioh Collection, Spiderman Ultimate, Sackboy LBP, Ghost of Tsushima. I plan to pick up Ratchet & Clank, Returnal, Stray. We have Horizon 1 & 2 and Days Gone and Gow1 on PS4. I might eventually pick up Sifu TLoU 1&2 when they are cheaper. Are there any other major 1st party titles i'm missing that i need to buy? Prob going to skip GT7.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Maybe a stupid question but that 3D (?) Audio everyone raves about right. Is my guess correct you don't need that Official Sony one to get that or.... ????

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Maybe a stupid question but that 3D (?) Audio everyone raves about right. Is my guess correct you don't need that Official Sony one to get that or.... ????

I think the best headset to experience the feature itself is indeed the 3D Pulse, however you have other headsets that are capable of using the feature.

Bare in mind that the game also needs to support 3D audio, otherwise your better of having the feature off.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Looks good in black.

Build quality consensus is good and all?

As someone who thought of buying them a couple of months back, I ended up going another way.

They are a good enough headset for the PS5, but that's it. If you're looking for a more versatile headset within the same budget, that also works as a solid PC headset, there are better options.

Plus, from what I've read the 3D Pulse's ear cushions are not very comfortable if you plan to use the headset for relatively long periods.

With that in mind, I ended up getting a SteelSeries Arctis 7P+, which works great on PC, has comfortable ear cushions and also supports the tempest engine from Sony.

Last edited:

splattered

Man this was a good time to jump back into the playstation ecosystem... most of their really good games are on sale for $20-30 right now. For some reason i usually opt for physical games on PS but digital on XB. Too bad TLoU, Horizon, GoW aren't really on sale right now. I have those digitally/ps4 versions i'd like to upgrade physical ps5 discs but not gonna pay $50-70 for games i've already played.

Man this was a good time to jump back into the playstation ecosystem... most of their really good games are on sale for $20-30 right now. For some reason i usually opt for physical games on PS but digital on XB. Too bad TLoU, Horizon, GoW aren't really on sale right now. I have those digitally/ps4 versions i'd like to upgrade physical ps5 discs but not gonna pay $50-70 for games i've already played.
PS Plus has almost all of Sony's catalog from the previous gen. PS Plus Extra would give you almost everything tbh. Horizon, God of War are there. TLOU Remake is on sale as we speak. TLOU2 for PS4 is also discounted (this one isn't on PS Plus yet).

DonJorginho

Banned
Finally you can watch all your hentai blurays!!

😏😏😏😏😏😏😏

Happy for you DonJorginho DonJorginho
So much Hentai! 😉

Nice. You want to go physical?
I'm a massive advocate for digital media but I started collected physical media this year (PS3, Wii, Gamecube, Xbox, 360, XB1 and Blu-ray movies) and it's completely changed my view on the matter.

Yes there are many positives about digital but god damn you can't beat having your collection on show with some nice shelving units in your room!

Most of the big releases for 2023 I've already pre-ordered digitally but all the ones in-between I'll be surely getting physically now to aid the collection.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
QTYf0Yo.jpg

Due to do my little brother for Christmas!

I have PS+Premium so transferring my library etc should be no hassle I reckon?
Yep, easy peasy lemon squeezy. Just log in and make the PS5 primary, and your library will be right there.

And I did not realize you were playing GT7 on the PS4, you will be in for a treat on the PS5.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
wow crazy gift !!!!

He got lucky with the PS internal invite so yeah. I thought bought it for himself and then he was like hey man I got it for you! So yeah happy times. It's been what. 2 years?

I did get some money from my mom and with some of myself I got these

gJXuFYb.jpg

Omggggggg nex gen bb

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yep, easy peasy lemon squeezy. Just log in and make the PS5 primary, and your library will be right there.

And I did not realize you were playing GT7 on the PS4, you will be in for a treat on the PS5.

Ok sounds easy enough!

And yes on ps4. 😏

4k Haptics... 😻

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
And I can try Cyberpunk in 60fps.

Initially wanted a digital version but fuck it. Second hand games and blurays.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

PlayStation had a fantastic mix of critical success, big sellers, and indie darlings to celebrate in 2022, thanks to the releases of God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, and Stray. That pattern is set to continue over the next 12 months as Sony looks to add to its growing library of great games. With many to get excited about on the horizon, as well as an imminent next step into virtual reality, PlayStation looks set for a busy 2023.

Last edited:
Top Bottom