• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Pro to Be Powered by Custom Eight Core Zen 2 CPU, 60 CUs RDNA 3 Hybrid at 2500-2800Mhz – Rumor

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
PS5-UpdateHD-scaled.jpg

The yet-to-be-announced PlayStation 5 Pro is said to bring accelerated ray tracing and other performance improvements, but it seems like the CPU that will power the new system won't be based on newer AMD architectures, according to rumors circulating online.

A few days back, RedGamingTech reported to have heard some new information regarding the console's specifications, saying that it will be powered by an eight-core Zen 2 CPU running in the low 4 GHz range, 60 compute units RDNA 3 custom GPU running at 2500-2800 MHz, 16 GB GDDR6 memory at 18000MT/s, possibly double Tempest Engine performance and two shader engines. Clock speeds are still not locked in, however, and won't be so until the system is ready for launch, as Sony is apparently testing multiple variants of the console.

While obviously unconfirmed, there seems to be little doubt as to the fact that the PlayStation 5 Pro CPU will be based on the Zen 2 architecture, the same as the base model, as well-known leaker Kepler recently seemed to suggest the same. Nevertheless, we have to take everything that was revealed a few days ago with a huge grain of salt until Sony officially announced the console.

While the PS5 Pro has yet to be officially announced, Sony did make a hardware announcement this month, revealing the long-rumored new slimmer PlayStation 5 hardware revision, which will come with a smaller size, increased storage, and compatibility with a detachable disc drive. The new hardware revision will start rolling out this November worldwide.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They are believable specs, this is built with the same idea PS4 Pro was.
Minimal effort to get 100% BC with base PS5 titles, a little bit more RAM freed to devs by adding a separate/increasing the size of an OS specific RAM pool, a modest clockspeed bump to the same CPU cores (helps with the BC point above), moderate bandwidth adjustment of the main GDDR6 memory pool not to completely starve the GPU, and a GPU that has a mix of the next generation and the next-next generation cores with something custom by Sony peppered in. I would hope for a small NPU / AI cores though for devs to start playing with things. Not sure who has been screaming for 2x Tempest Engine performance…

This might be why these specs are true or false… because they look exactly how a PS4 Pro designer would design PS5 Pro (same architecture team yes, but having not changed their mind on any single detail).

This is not a console design where devs would get massive boosts just by brute forcing their way through which IMHO will lead to few devs really taking advantage of what it has to offer (aside from a few of them, likely first party, depending on how much of a preview of possible PS6 features PS5 Pro could be maybe). So, dynamic 4K at 30 FPS becoming 4K@60 FPS… doubtful 🤨… we shall see.
These are the kind of specs I expected, if true, and reasons why I would have preferred Sony not to waste their time designing and selling it and launching a better PS6 a year or so earlier at least…

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
With the Pro, I’m hoping for fewer concessions with PSVR2. Many more native 120hz negating need for reprojection and for 2D screens, much better implementation of RT features. I’d be happy with this.

Is there any chance of RT overdrive with this? Or is that a pipe dream?

Last edited:

vivftp

There's a giant-ass thread on the PS5 Pro on the front page and this is already being discussed. Not really the sort of thing that warranted its own separate thread.

Mowcno

So faster than a 7800xt? Seems doubtful
The 5700XT was a $400 card launching around a year before the PS5, the PS5 beat it at $500. The 7800XT is a $500 card launching around a year before the PS5 Pro, at $599-$699 the PS5 Pro can beat it. They are still using an old CPU to save money and they don't have to make a profit on hardware like GPU manufacturers. The 7800XT isn't a very expensive card, it can be matched in a premium console this time next year.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Won't even come close to the 7800 XT. At best I'd say the 7700 XT.
What makes you say that? Assuming this leak is true:

PS5: 60 CU's at ~2650mhz
7800XT : 60 CU's at 2430mhz
7700XT: 54 CU's at 2544mhz

On paper PS5 wins, it depends what the "hybrid RDNA 3" means and if it is detrimental to performance. "Won't even come close" is pretty strange to say also when the 7700XT compared to the 7800XT is a very minor leap lol.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

On paper PS5 wins, it depends what the "hybrid RDNA 3" means and if it is detrimental to performance. "Won't even come close" is pretty strange to say also when the 7700XT compared to the 7800XT is a very minor leap lol.
7700 XT to 7800 XT is like 20% and I originally said 6800 non XT before the edit. And I think the power draw gonna be so low that it only looks good on the paper which is why I really said this. If it is 7800 XT levels of performance, sign me up. I actually might buy a PS5 then.

Xyphie

Pretty underwhelming specs if true. Granted this comes from the same guy that said PS5 would have secret sauce RDNA3 features so take it with a grain of salt.

A 8-core Zen4c would be ideal for a refreshed console, you'd get ~40% higher perf at similar clocks and it's probably smaller in size than node-shrunk Zen2 would be. GPU is also probably worse than the Navi 32 copypaste job one would expect because of the wonky shader configuration and limited VRAM bandwidth

PS4 Pro was pretty underwhelming as a Pro console and this would be a smaller jump than that.

FireFly

I think it will be close but you have to remember that the 7800 XT has 263W TDP and the Pro will probably have around 200W shared between the GPU and CPU.

Mowcno

I think it will be close but you have to remember that the 7800 XT has 263W TDP and the Pro will probably have around 200W shared between the GPU and CPU.
Right, but the negative performance from lower power limits comes from lower clocks because they don't have enough power to run higher clocks, right? This leak explicitly states what the gpu is clocked at. I mean this rumour may be BS but if we are assuming it is correct for the sake of discussion then it seems that this is not a problem.

FireFly

Right, but the negative performance from lower power limits comes from lower clocks because they don't have enough power to run higher clocks, right? This leak explicitly states what the gpu is clocked at. I mean this rumour may be BS but if we are assuming it is correct for the sake of discussion then it seems that this is not a problem.
True but if these are boost speeds they may not be met on a sustained basis, due to the PS5 boosting based on the available power.

Raonak

Banned
Sounds about right.

Very similar to the approach with the PS4 pro.

Same CPU as the base, just upclocked.
GPU and RAM gets big upgrade.

Will probably skip this upgrade this time as PS5 performance is fine.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I still don't see what the point is. The PS4Pro had 4k as the application. This half-assed update just says, "Your Base PS4 Sucks and all the 4k 60 RT shit we promised you was bullshit, but trust us now and again in a few years when we launch PS6."
The rumours that this can do 8K, I’m still doubting it’ll be native but getting close and upscaling the rest of the way would still make this look next-next gen.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Ive started reading this, but then ive noticed this comes from RedGamingTech who have been making the most far fetched and eventually false hardware leaks along with MLID for the last 5 years.
Why are we giving these clowns attention?
Useless Old Timey Baseball GIF by Team Coco

Despite that it sounds close to a possible reality when it comes to performance.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Posting my obligatory doubt, for reasons some have already adressed in here.

Will buy one day 1 though.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Such a dumb console. Who gives a shit about a pro version when there's a single digit next gen games on the current machine?
Baldur's Gate 3, Ratchet Rift Apart, Demon Souls, Returnal, Deathloop, Final Fantasy XVI, Ghost Wire Tokyo, Dead Space, Payday 3, A Plague Tale: Requiem. I did it, I'm out of single figures!

Imagine still going with this rhetoric when we are 3 days out from Spider-Man 2, and have Alan Wake 2, Avatar, FF VII Rebirth, Helldivers 2 and lots of other titles that are skipping last-gen coming very soon.

Sure the vast majority of games are still playable on PS4/XBO so if you're ok with 720p30fps and are the type of person that would still have a GTX 670 in your gaming PC, than yeah the PS5/XSX are both really really dumb.

OuterLimits

Will those prices not be lower 12 months from now?
In this current economic climate? Might be difficult. Plus inflation has been coming in hotter than expectations the last couple months.

This is the first generation ever where the base consoles actually saw a price increase not a decline a couple years after launch in most markets.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

In this current economic climate? Might be difficult. Plus inflation has been coming in hotter than expectations the last couple months.

This is the first generation ever where the base consoles actually saw a price increase not a decline a couple years after launch in most markets.
This is part of the reason I doubt a Pro will release.

Apart from a small benefit in performance, it will likely be quite expensive.
PS4 didn't see a pricedrop when PS4 Pro released and I don't see PS5 getting one either. Difference being that the current economic climate is drastically different and it's likely going to get worse.

I seriously doubt it's worth a Pro release.

Edit:

Correction

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I see we are still falling for this. The absolute first thing to do is know how we arrived at that 60CU. Do we have 60CU active which means the full-chip actually has anywhere between 64CU (2x SEs) to 66CU (3xSEs) or are we looking at 56CU or 54CU respectively? Cause, either way, CUs will be disabled for yield.

There is a `way` we can end up with the full non-disabled CUs chip in a PS5pro, but its kinda a stretch and not something I am hearing anyone mention...

The GPU clock seems plausible, 2500 - 2650mhz seems like a reasonable bet.
Yeah. This specs sounds like 599$ for Digital Edition and 699$ for Disc Edition.
More like $549-$599 for the PS5pro, and you spend an additional $80 if you want an ODD attachment. I believe the soon-to-be-released ODD would work with the PS5pro, in the same way, a dualsense controller works with it.

And btw, isn't this all old news?

Kerotan

Does it looks like to you that prices of consoles are going down?
Because last time I checked, prices of consoles had gone up. And even new revision that is cheaper for Sony to produce did not go down in price.
They're going up because demand allows it. I'm taking could Sony potentially sell for profit at less. Obviously if they feel people will pay 600 in high enough numbers they will charge that no matter how much cheaper it is to make.

Mr.Phoenix

Very disappointing on the cpu side if true.

That was my initial thought, but I wonder if this is for BC sake. Last gen's pro models kept the same CPU as well.
Nothing wrong with that CPU, it's fully what I expected it to be anyway. I can't help but feel that people want a better CPU simply because its well.. better, but not really thinking about what they're supposed to do with it.

First off, all the current Zen 2 CPU needs, is an upclock, and more cache. Thats it. It's like we are forgetting that all the PS5pro has to do, is run gams at a max of 120fps. MAX. And probably only needs to reliably achieve that at 1080p-1440p at best. When doing native 2160p or even FSR`ed 1440p up rezzed to 2160p, the target would be 60fps. You do not need a much better CPU to do that.

It's not like the PS5 Pro is going for 240hz or something.

And remember, the base is the PS5, so whatever the Pro is, it's running PS5 code first and foremost.

And then there is the RT, if the PS5pro is doing with RT what I hope Sony and AMD are finally going to do, the PS5pro would have ~4x the RT performance compared to the PS5 OG.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people are so bummed that it will likely just be a boosted Zen 2 core. It makes sense for BC purposes. Also, Zen 2 at 4Ghz in a PS5 Pro in 2024 is still vastly better than the Jaguar core was in 2016 for the PS4 Pro.

Most of the FPS dips have been GPU bound on PS5, not CPU.

PS5 Pro is going to give us a nice improvement for games with unlocked modes. Games that hover between 40 - 50fps should hit 60fps no problem.

Spider Man 2's unlocked 40fps mode gonna be sick on PS5 Pro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom