• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 share in France vs Xbox reaches 93% vs 7%

What are we talking about here? Just over a million consoles total between them BOTH is maybe 1% of the gaming market, probably less. 1 million consoles is 2% of playstations market share. This is such a nothing story. Xbox outsold Playstation 4:1 in my household, make a thread on that cause my numbers are just as relevant. I don't like either console this gen, but come on, quit acting like these numbers mean anything. Nobody cares about France.
lmao. PS5 has sold over 1M in Spain alone...which is a smaller market than France.

If you have nothing to add to this topic why even write this pressed comment?

Honest question for me is why? Why are the numbers so lopsided? Technically speaking the series x is a great piece of kit.

In some of the marquee games the Xbox has a slight advantage in image quality and frames.

COD and hogwarts are two of the biggest games which have sharper graphics and more stAble frame rates according to some reviews. They have the superior gamepass platform. Why is this thing tanking compared to ps5?

I have all consoles so I’m not a fanboy console warring, I’m just genuinely questions why it’s turning out this way?

Exclusives for sure make a difference but I can’t see a 90-10 split for that alone??

Maybe time for a 399 series x sale??

Probably because Microsoft failed to destroy the PS5 when it came to specs. Which means the differences are not large enough that most would care about them.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Well, well, well, let's see what our friends, the Xbox pundits, have to say in their respective podcasts.

On the Defining Duke Cog and Matty pretty much shrugged it off, repeated the message that Xbox console sales don’t matter that much while contradicting themselves by hyping the moment COD is bundled with Xbox and Gamepass as the turning point.

Xbox pundits at large continue to be broken records that are constantly spreading false positivity and rarely if ever have anything too critical about Xbox management or whatever.

“The Dukes” for example have no problem telling us they are worried about PlayStation’s future, but Xbox? Everything is always fine. Well… Redfall was a bit too much but that was it.

Last edited:
Europe is the other half of the western market roughly. So saying who cares about France, UK Spain Germany miss the point that when you add them all up it's roughly on par with the US.

I mean we could say who cares about such and such state in the US, who cares about Colorado, Florida, add them up it's a huge market like Europe. People still have a blind spot comparing the US which pretty much a continent divided into states and pointing and laughing at Sweden with 10 million people

MS had their foot in the door in Europe with the 360 but then backed away.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Honest question for me is why? Why are the numbers so lopsided? Technically speaking the series x is a great piece of kit.

In some of the marquee games the Xbox has a slight advantage in image quality and frames.

COD and hogwarts are two of the biggest games which have sharper graphics and more stAble frame rates according to some reviews. They have the superior gamepass platform. Why is this thing tanking compared to ps5?

I have all consoles so I’m not a fanboy console warring, I’m just genuinely questions why it’s turning out this way?

Exclusives for sure make a difference but I can’t see a 90-10 split for that alone??

You can find Series X for less than 400e already, that does not help.

Many reasons can explain this collapse here.

Brand visibility

- On every stores where you can buy games, there are HUGE Playstation and Switch spaces, the Xbox ones are very tiny and just have a few games available. I know we are in the digital era, but still, that gives mainstream customers the impression that Xbox has nothing to offer.

- Digital marketing is weaker than AA publishers. I am exposed to every ads from small publishers to the big ones, flooded by Nintendo and PS marketing, I almost never see anything Xbox related.

Games:

Yes. To get traction you need huge and beloved IPs, especially at a time where sequels are so proeminent. Where are MS ips? They fucked up the biggest one with Halo and what should have been their star product became a meme before it even launched. The other ones are either dead, dormant or no one cares here as they are too US-friendly (Gears of War is (was) cool, but it also embodies every cliché we French have for Americans)
And also we do love japanese games here and after many years of japanese games not releasing on Xbox, people just made a logical conclusion (the remaster of Batten Kaitos on switch was the top selling game here in its week of release. Imagine the big names..)

Microsoft:

Xbox is a Microsoft product, and I can't say they have a great image here. Maybe Im exxagerating this point, but Ive been working in tech for 10 years and this really feels like it.

Console name:

Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S: we stopped that debate long ago but what a terrible naming. I have seen stores where they add à sticker on Series games boxe to say "onky works on Series X". Yes it was in the country side where no one gives a shit, but that says a LOT about the sheer stupidity of this naming decision.

I think these are the main ones. But most important is brand visibilty and recognition, I even had a colleague once telling me "I didnt know xbox was still a thing"

Not like french opinions matter anyway
7th biggest gaming market in the world, close to the size of German and UK market.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
hmmmmmm
ina-itw-a1ea8.jpg
Included with Eau de Gamepass
Pink Perfume GIF by Babby Bertie

Last edited:

Shane89

Whatever plan Phil had did not work. I wonder what's Microsoft's / Xbox's management thinking right now and what plans they will implement next.
The plan was buying all possible studios/publisher. And guess what? They failed

What are we talking about here? Just over a million consoles total between them BOTH is maybe 1% of the gaming market, probably less. 1 million consoles is 2% of playstations market share. This is such a nothing story. Xbox outsold Playstation 4:1 in my household, make a thread on that cause my numbers are just as relevant. I don't like either console this gen, but come on, quit acting like these numbers mean anything. Nobody cares about France.

That's the attitude that got Microsoft in this mess.

The problem is that all the numbers we have in Europe show that the Xbox is cratering and in its largest markets they are down MOM or YOY while it's nearest competitor are consistently posting double or triple digit growth on already strong numbers.

Brand.
Xbox is a terrible name, so 2000-ish. XBAKS, IKsboKs… ugh. Series X|S, One X, One S, whatever… Just terrible naming. The color green, nah, the entire corporate identity is something i will never like.
At some point you just have to accept it's not working anymore, not to an extend they wish. Wonder what will happen when the sales are still very poor after the holidays.

Edit: basically what PanzerCute said.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

That's the attitude that got Microsoft in this mess.

The problem is that all the numbers we have in Europe show that the Xbox is cratering and in its largest markets they are down MOM or YOY while it's nearest competitor are consistently posting double or triple digit growth on already strong numbers.
He'll buy 2 more Xboxes so the ratio is 6:1 in his home and that will fully compensate the difference from the European tiny countries!

Thirty7ven

Banned

Bernoulli

M2 slut
93% vs 7%?

At what point is it even worth selling these things?

Most of Europe's sales are in December for Christmas...it's not even black friday.
How is it going to end next the year? 96/4?

Sony's strategy is great though. They want the most number of people with a PS5 until their studios start pumping out games by 2025. By then they will have a userbase of around 70/80M. Until then new users will have a huge catalog to play, plus the ones coming out in 2024 (Death Stranding 2, FFVII Rebirth, Silent Hill 2, Helldiver 2, TLOU2 Remastered, etc). Meanwhile Xbox is getting more and more irrelevant for 3rd party studios...
It is black friday since last week

SkylineRKR

Its a wash in all of mainland Europe. And it always was, but the difference now is bigger while I would say the Series was a better offering than the X1 and also released on time. So this is rather weird and GP certainly doesn't help at all.

Woopah

Playstation has much stronger history and brand and marketing, plus enticing games.

Last year PS5 outsold Xbox Series in France because its the main platform for the two biggest games of the year (FIFA and COD) and there were 3 PS exclusives in the top 20.

Switch is far more competitive and outsold PS5 in France last year as its the main platform for Minecraft and there were 9 Switch exclusives in the top 20 (and thats without Nintendo sharing digital).

Basically Xbox needs enough unique selling points to overcome 30 years of established PlayStation strength.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I know that. I meant that usually more consoles are sold in Europe in December and not November.
It depends, they have the PS5 at 429 disc so many are buying the gifts now
What is shocking is no one is touching the XSX, there is a bundle with Diablo 4 and free MW3 at 450 euro but only 7 consoles and none of them moved in 5 days

Thirty7ven

Banned

It’s like you’re choosing to downplay the size of the adult elephant in the room to tell us how what we should really be looking at is how the things nobody notices is what actually crashing the fung shui.

Go_Ly_Dow

You'd have to think in these European countries and in Asia where PS has gobbled up around 90% of the market share or more that Xbox is operating at a loss for those specific countries to even have a presence. In terms of marketing, distribution, service support etc...

Last edited:
So we know Spain is a wash.
France is a wash.
Japan is a wash.

We also know that the gap in sales is growing rapidly in the US and the UK.

Any other reports?

I didn't expect things to get like this. I expected a comfortable PS5 'win' everywhere but this feels like a bloodbath.
There are literally 0 reasons to own an Xbox over a ps5 or switch, so it’s easy to see why Xbox is going the way of being pretty bad in sales compared to the competition in Europe to being completely obsolete.

There are literally 0 reasons to own an Xbox over a ps5 or switch, so it’s easy to see why Xbox is going the way of being pretty bad in sales compared to the competition in Europe to being completely obsolete.

I understand all those reasons. I just didn't see it getting this bad.

I thought Sony's 25m target was a moonshot but it's not looking that way now.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
France has roughly the same population of TX + CA or roughly 20% of the US. If console sales are really that low then why? Is it cultural or do most of them game on PCs and/or phones?

I have a nice PC, I would never really consider an Xbox except maybe to have a Gamepass rig for the kids instead of maintaining a second PC. They probably should include Gamepass numbers in these things. If that is MS's priority, why would they care if you access it via PC or Xbox? Other than the fact that they don't have to sell you loss leading HW if you play on PC, but get 0% chance of licensing revenue for bought games.

Ar¢tos

I'm not sure Xbox's sent (or is it "loaned"? ) to grifters count as sales.
They probably are even counting used consoles resales as a new sale and every Minecraft/Activision game on Playstation as a sale on the numbers given to shareholders.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

Bojji

It's better to have a little slice out of a big pie than a big slice out of a little pie. North America is where their bread is buttered. Tiny markets are not important unless you are fanning the flames of the console war.
You ask how does it grow? Well you tell me. If Xbox somehow sold another 700,000 units in France to make it 1:1 did that really change ANYTHING? Are they suddenly clawing back and changing minds? This is NOTHING. Xbox selling 1 million units in France wouldn't change a god damned thing.
Yes, Xbox is fucked. France doesn't change that.

Those "tiny markets" combine to a massive market, one of the most important ones. You have America, Asia and Europe.

In Asia Xbox is non existent, in Europe it's almost non existent and in America it's in the third place...

People say that sales of Series in EU collapsed yet I had no problem selling my Series X.
I am not surprised. XSS + PC Gamepass strategy are the main reasons of Xbox failure on the console space. It's like they are begging people to buy PCs instead of their consoles.

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
At what point does MS walk away from console. Sure this is one market, but they're not achieving their desired results in the other markets either.
Gamepass is definitely a good proposition and I think at this point they need to focus on that.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
He'll buy 2 more Xboxes so the ratio is 6:1 in his home and that will fully compensate the difference from the European tiny countries!

Maybe he should call them Freedom Boxes to drive the point home.

Top Bottom