• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is retiring March 2024

Fake

So your hope for the future is less money, smaller dev teams (cutbacks due to less COD/Fifa and more Japanese devs) and potential bankruptcy cause MS is gonna buy up the industry? cool.

Why in hell should I care about Sony earning money?

Sony is earning a loads of money RIGHT NOW, but for what?

Making sequels? Making remakes? Making remaster? Yeah, remake of TLOUS, remake of HZD... good waste I must say.

I care about pro consumers move, new ideias, new IPs.

Fuck the money Sony get. You guys act like the money Sony get will go to your bank account or something.

In the end of day, money means nothing if you don't put investiment. PS4 era will be unbeatable in the IPs departament.

And don't worry about Sony dude, they will not bankrupt lmao. PS3 fiasco was their great potential to bankrupt, but here we are.

Thats why I hope the new ceo go to new IPs route instead of whining about losing CoD rights. There is more in the world of gaming than only CoD.

Last edited:

ulantan

Sony is earning a loads of money, but for what?

Making sequels? Making remakes? Making remaster? Yeah, remake of TLOUS, remake of HZD... good waste I must say.

Fuck the money Sony get. You guys act like the money Sony get will go to your bank account or something.

In the end of day, money means nothing if you don't put investiment. PS4 era will be unbeatable in the IPs departament.

And don't worry about Sony dude, will not bankrupt lmao. PS3 fiasco was their great potential to bankrupt, but here we are.
The question is why would they want to make less money? What's the incentive to do all that when thier strategy is successful.

tmlDan

And don't worry about Sony dude, will not bankrupt lmao. PS3 fiasco was their great potential to bankrupt, but here we are.
your strategy would lead to that, money matters because a healthy strategy allows us to get larger studios, more games, more diversity.

You can be ignorant to that fact but the PS3 era was not long ago and yes, Sony was VERY CLOSE to being bankrupt and going out of business. It can happen again, they're not MS big.

There's a pretty big chance they actually did. All I've been hearing is "Jim Ryan's leading PlayStation's best performance ever"...

If it were really him, why the sudden retirement, in the middle of the console generation? Really makes you wonder.

Personally I don't think Jim Ryan has been a complete bust, but there are quite a few things about Sony's current strategy (mainly regarding the PC ports, slow pace in M&A of notable 3P gaming devs/pubs/content, decrease in effective messaging with enthusiasts, sudden price hikes, the heavy GaaS focus etc.) that he has to answer for and I guess this is the answer.

I think all the time & resources spent trying to voice against the ABK deal only for it to ultimately be fruitless, is the damning one. I'd really love to hear more about what pushed Shawn Layden out, even more given this news.
"Sudden retirement"? He's leaving in 6 months. That's half a year. He didn't just abandon his position. If he had been fired like Shawn Layden, it would be immediate and he wouldn't even write anything. He would just be gone, lmao. He even wrote a heartfelt message to the community something his predecessor never did. He didn't tweet anything, no nothing. Just silence.

Y'all want to find some huge conspiracy for no reason ffs. He was a part of the PS brand since literally the beginning. He was there building SCE Europe. He was the man responsible for deals like the UEFA deal that still exists. The ABK deal has nothing to do with Jim being good or bad at his job. Sony simply wouldn't be able to compete and they know this since day one. This would never be on Jim.

edit: also...if you think the CEO is the only one responsible for decisions like GaaS titles, etc...you're in for a rude awakening. That won't be changing any time soon.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

They won’t put an outsider in charge of PlayStation. And he would be really bad news for PlayStation fans.
Nah, I was joking mate. He'll be looking forward to his golden parachute I'm sure!

I think you're likely close to the mark with the departure. I think he's 54? So maybe just shy of 55 retirement. But I wouldn't be surprised of other personal reasons too.

envyzeal

NGQUeXr.jpg

Can you imagine having a Gamer Girl™️ as CEO? I'm pretty sure Gamers™️ would love it

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Exactly.

I've love to hear where that 33% PS sub plan price increase is going aside from their corproate coffers which the PS division already makes about $2B profit per year since 2016 or 2017. During one of the covid years I think it hit $3B.

So all in all the past 7 years the division has banked probably around $10B+ profits already.

And their latest announcements are Helldivers 2 at $40 and PS sub plan increase.

Thirty7ven

Banned
"Fire Phil Spencer."

Everyone always knew a lot of you guys didnt expect a replacement to actually be better. Not even trying to argue. Anytime a new CEO comes in what you said is the most likely outcome.

What does this have to do with Phil Spencer?

That guy oversaw the decline of Xbox in One and Series. He’s lucky he works for MS, all he knows is to spend money his division doesn’t generate, on the back of of overseeing the worst first party in Xbox history. Again, lucky he could buy Bethesda, could you imagine what would happen if they hadn’t bought Bethesda and could say Starfield is a first party game? The brand would be dead in the water.

I say what I say because Sony is a Japanese company and the shareholders have been begging for a more ambitious mobile initiative.

Maybe they put somebody in charge with the finger on the pulse. But you should look to my words, as a self admitted PlayStation fan, as somebody who expects a lot from the company. Unlike other style of fans who dick ride failure after failure.

Yoda

Would love to know the backstory. Normally the retirement isn't announced half a year in advance even if it's happening behind the scenes.

Lokaum D+

Ryan began working for Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE) in 1994, the year before the first PlayStation console launched. In his first year at the job, Ryan helped establish Sony's presence in Europe by finding offices and hiring staff.

You can google this stuff.

I'd say even at the beginning he had a large part to play in that
u guys are saying that Playstation is market leader in Europe cause of him and only him, i did say that he started at '94 on SIEE or u didnt read that part ? what i m saying is that PS brand being a giant on Europe is not only to his credits like u guys are implying, before he got acting as president of SIE, PS was already a behemoth on Europe, but u guys are free to believe whatever u want.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

And don't worry about Sony dude, they will not bankrupt lmao. PS3 fiasco was their great potential to bankrupt, but here we are.

Thats why I hope the new ceo go to new IPs route instead of whining about losing CoD rights. There is more in the world of gaming than only CoD.

Guys we can shut the internet down now.

Sanepar

Personally didn't like the way PS was trending under him, I think this is a good thing for PS
I would say yes but they don't know where they are going. He made all c levels to leave. Now they have no one for the job and will need to bring someone from the market. The first months with cfo with no clue about games strategy. It looks like a recipe for a disaster.

tmlDan

u guys are saying that Playstation is market leader in Europe cause of him and only him, i did say that he started at '94 on SIEE or u didnt read that part ? what i m saying is that PS brand being a giant on Europe is not only his credits like u guys are implying, but u guys a free to believe whatever u want.
Of course it's never one person but you're just doing your best to make him look bad because you want to be right. It's okay to admit you're wrong. He staffed and founded the PS offices in Europe, you're saying he had no impact?

What does this have to do with Phil Spencer?

That guy oversaw the decline of Xbox in One and Series. He’s lucky he works for MS, all he knows is to spend money his division doesn’t generate, on the back of of overseeing the worst first party in Xbox history. Again, lucky he could buy Bethesda, could you imagine what would happen if they hadn’t bought Bethesda and could say Starfield is a first party game? The brand would be dead in the water.

I say what I say because Sony is a Japanese company and the shareholders have been begging for a more ambitious mobile initiative.

Maybe they put somebody in charge with the finger on the pulse. But you should look to my words, as a self admitted PlayStation fan, as somebody who expects a lot from the company. Unlike other style of fans who dick ride failure after failure.
Sales are not my main concern. They're close to my last concern. The point is clear that when you're actually being honest you expect a typical MBA business type thats generally clueless to step in. I agree with you that this is always a huge possibility for both Sony and MS since gaming is only a portion of their company. Phil is not that and everyone has always known it. The guy's not flawless but pretending like his replacement will easily exceed him has always been a really obvious lie.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The PC community thanks you for your contribution Jim
And looking back at what you've done for PS5....
ace-ventura-mad-slamming-door-7i5yk82xxjopdfwu.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sales are not my main concern. They're close to my last concern. The point is clear that when you're actually being honest you expect a typical MBA business type thats generally clueless to step in. I agree with you that this is always a huge possibility for both Sony and MS since gaming is only a portion of their company. Phil is not that and everyone has always known it. The guy's not flawless but pretending like his replacement will easily exceed him has always been a really obvious lie.
So true.

Sales and profits are a big bullet point for Sony fans because the division has done great since 2016 or 2017 when console gamers really transitioned to buying MTX and digital games where every storefront owner gets 30% cuts from every game, hat, and loot crate download. Their profits zoomed up the charts when digital downloading took off around that time.

When Sony was losing tons of money during the PS3 era (both company and division), no PS3 fan would bring up the division is losing money.

Last edited:
These guys can usually read the writing on the wall. If it was all just smooth sailing and fat checks coming up there’s no way you step down.

Be interesting to see how the new boss changes things. People always want to make their mark when they come in.

Fake

The question is why would they want to make less money? What's the incentive to do all that when thier strategy is successful.

All those questions have an answer as soon as the company decide their goals.

If all they want is money, yeah they should be threat by Microsoft x Activison and your question became more valid.

your strategy would lead to that, money matters because a healthy strategy allows us to get larger studios, more games, more diversity.

You can be ignorant to that fact but the PS3 era was not long ago and yes, Sony was VERY CLOSE to being bankrupt and going out of business. It can happen again, they're not MS big.

You mean 'their strategy'. Money matters to them, not for me.

I care about games. Care about be able to use Sony products in all my Sony devices. You guys need to stop acting like corporative.

Sony will do fine without Jim. In fact, believe or not, before Jim Ryan the Playstation brand was doing fine as well, more than fine in fact. Remember PS4? So, was before Jim and was a sucess.

Last edited:

ulantan

All those questions have an answer as soon as the company decide their goals.

If all they want is money, yeah they should be threat by Microsoft x Activison and your question became more valid.

You mean 'their strategy'. Money matters to them, not for me.

I care about games. Care about be able to use Sony products in all my Sony devices. You guys need to stop acting like corporative.

Sony will do fine without Jim. In fact, believe or not, before Jim Ryan the Playstation brand was doing fine as well, more than fine in fact. Remember PS4? So, was before Jim and was a sucess.
We are still in the ps4 decision era though most of Jim's decisions won't even start kicking in until 2024-2025 everything that's released was greenlit under shawn layden. We don't really know what the Jim era even really looks like yet.

Zok310

Banned
Probably.

It will also take many years for PlayStation to move past the Jim Ryan era.
Jim’s era ends with PS5 era ends.

Whoever takes his place immediately begin planning the PS6 with Cerny and planning the transition to PS6, and that will be that replacement era.
Doubt we ever see a multiple era president at sie again.

Mr.Phoenix

I would say yes but they don't know where they are going. He made all c levels to leave. Now they have no one for the job and will need to bring someone from the market. The first months with cfo with no clue about games strategy. It looks like a recipe for a disaster.
lol...

Even the guy who currently holds one of the positions he previously held can take up the mantle.

Your post reads like some sort of conspiracy theory.

I Master l

Banned
The decision to buy Bungie is the only good decision he made. Service games if successful would be a better source of income than all first-party games but their problem is that succeeding in them is very difficult. Out of 1000 service game only 1 succeeds. Currently there are 8 or 9 service games developed by Sony and it appears that Bungie's assessment that all of these games would not succeed was the reason for his resignation

Pelta88

All that slander on Jim's name despite the fact that he ran laps around his competition? Like people would prefer him to diminish the brand, deliver no games as long as he keep you upto date with endless, contradictory, and nonsensical PR smoke.

I hope his successor follows the same script. Speak less and deliver great ip and hardware. AKA Mark Cerny.

Last edited:
WONDERED WHY I JUST HAD A WET DREAM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, IT'S BECAUSE JIMMY BOY IS ON HIS WAY OUTTTTTT 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳
No way that's not a coincidence. Please do inform us every morning starting from today if you had a wet dream. That means good gaming news is bound to happen that same day.

Last edited:
Announcing right before the deal closes? Interesting timing.
Jimmy Boi decided to give up and go hit the nursing home. Funny thing, I kept making jokes about him being in a nursing home in that Naughty Dog thread I made. Guess I ended up manifesting it lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The decision to buy Bungie is the only good decision he made. Service games if successful would be a better source of income than all first-party games but their problem is that succeeding in them is very difficult. Out of 1000 service game only 1 succeeds. Currently there are 8 or 9 service games developed by Sony and it appears that Bungie's assessment that all of these games would not succeed was the reason for his resignation
For the GAAS, IMO a big company like Sony should only focus on big projects. Doesn't matter if it's SP or MP or a GAAS game with 10 years of service. Go big.

Small scale or indie games are great for people who like quirky budget games, but those wont move the needle for a company like Sony. Leave that to the indie devs with low overhead.

Other kinds of companies are different. Nestle might have 1000 different products. Some are blockbuster brands, some small, but there's enough people and manufacturing capacity to churn out tons of big and small brands with 30 items in each, which some variations sell big and some small. A company like Nestle has almost 300,000 employees. They can handle anything big and small and not blink.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
No way that's not a coincidence. Please do inform us every morning starting from today if you had a wet dream. That means good gaming news is bound to happen that same day.
I'll tell you what, from here on out, I'll keep tabs and keep you informed, who needs insiders when you just got my erm, methods....

Top Bottom