• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Says Publishers Don't Like Xbox Game Pass

DaGwaphics

But here's the thing, even if Xbox can make gamepass work for it's first party releases, it going to be sacrificing big third parties games to do it. It doesn't seem worth it to me, especially concidered their track record for original 1st part releases.

People will still be able to buy big third party games just the same way they always could. I don't see how it is possible for MS to "sacrifice" third party games.

kevm3

Companies would much rather get their huge cut of $70 a game versus what meager sliver microsoft is going to give them putting their games on a $16 subscription service that includes a bunch of other games.

Call of Duty, GTA, Final Fantasy, etc will almost always sell millions. Why settle for splitting a tiny portion of a $16 pie that is split amongst tons of other developers when you can get $70 and pay Sony or Microsoft their licensing/storefront cut and keep the rest?

The only ones who really value from Game Pass is Microsoft and maybe developers who would otherwise have their games overshadowed, but people are trying their game out now because it's being featured as a 'new release on gamepass' and people are now playing it since it comes 'free' with gamepass.

kevm3

People will still be able to buy big third party games just the same way they always could. I don't see how it is possible for MS to "sacrifice" third party games.

Why would they buy the game if they could just play it on gamepass? This is especially true for single player experiences. If FF16 was day one on gamepass, I could easily just play it on there, beat it, and have saved myself $50 dollars in the process. If this was going to come to game pass months down the line, there are tons of people who would just wait for it to drop on game pass before playing it. Gamepass discourages a lot of gamers from paying full price for games, which is why the new gamepass releases have been looking quite meager lately.

DaGwaphics

Why would they buy the game if they could just play it on gamepass? This is especially true for single player experiences. If FF16 was day one on gamepass, I could easily just play it on there, beat it, and have saved myself $50 dollars in the process. If this was going to come to game pass months down the line, there are tons of people who would just wait for it to drop on game pass before playing it. Gamepass discourages a lot of gamers from paying full price for games, which is why the new gamepass releases have been looking quite meager lately.

The post I was quoting was discussing MS sacrificing third party games NOT on the service by putting their own games on GP day one.

I agree with you as far as I'm not a game collector so if it is on GP I'm probably not buying it unless it is something I'm going to come back to for hours and hours. But, it still remains irrelevant for games NOT included in the service, I don't see how MS can sacrifice those with GP. It's a numbers game, if MS was willing to throw 4 or $500m out on the regular for day one AAA games they would have takers. But if that became the market, Sony would have to follow suit and then you have bidding wars for content (Netflix/Hulu/Disney+) and the prices would just get more and more insane. For AAA it just makes more sense for the big games to be built in-house, same with the TV streaming services.

Last edited:
giphy.webp

if that was the case he should be mentioning his own service to because it comes across wrong when your just criticising the opposition on something like this. calling out gamepass specifically comes across bitter were if he said publishers don't like subscription services it comes across better

how exactly is gamepass impact more pronounced then PS+ exactly?

This case is not about PS+ or Sony. It's about MS. So no... he's being asked to comment about MS.

You really think he should be expected to cry, "Sony Too" everytime he makes a comment? Jim Ryan is the president and CEO of Playstation. Not some Xbox fanboy on NeoGaf.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This case is not about PS+ or Sony. It's about MS. So no... he's being asked to comment about MS.

You really think he should be expected to cry, "Sony Too" everytime he makes a comment? Jim Ryan is the president and CEO of Playstation. Not some Xbox fanboy on NeoGaf.

Who’s the Xbox fanboy?

John Wick

Day and date. The only day and date people should be concerned about is MICROSOFT FIRST PARTY. WTF!? So it's being suggested that because publisher's don't often do day and date on Gamepass somehow this lends credence to what Jim Ryan is saying?

Go tickle yourself.
So what's people's concern about MS first party day and date got to do with publishers not liking gamepass?
Publishers are concerned about putting their big games on gamepass day and date for when they are released. They would prefer to sell you a game rather than put it on someone else's sub service.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So what's people's concern about MS first party day and date got to do with publishers not liking gamepass?
Publishers are concerned about putting their big games on gamepass day and date for when they are released. They would prefer to sell you a game rather than put it on someone else's sub service.
DO people really expect all publisher's to want to do day and date? That really only works for indie games. Games that don't have any mindshare, where gamepass puts them in the spotlight.

I think my issue is first of all, the title of this thread, which is misleading and Jim Ryan's quote, equally misleading.

John Wick

These anti-GP beliefs are so commonly held that most of the major publishers have had multiple games on the service.

Yeah, that checks out. :messenger_beaming:
Plenty of publishers had games on Sony's monthly PS Plus service and then on Xbox live gold as well. I don't think publishers will be upset about older games being on the service.
It's clear this is probably more about publishers not liking GP like services for their AAA new releases etc.

yurinka

Sony’s sub has been out a year versus Xbox’s 5, yet they’ve already got up to 50% of the number of subs with significantly less investment. Microsoft’s GamePass growth is mostly on PC. Sony have made large strides into PC over the last couple of years so I imagine that’ll be a growth area.
PlayStation Plus was released in 2010, PS Now was released in 2014.

The result of having merged both is aprox. twice the userbase that GP has and having highly increased their own revenue (plus distance in revenue form GP).

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If I had 5 years added to my life every time a narrative got wrecked and a new spin was hastily constructed, I'd be immortal
I was not expecting the FTC case to be the spicy one.

I went from barely interested n the actual cases to now checking the threads and listening in here n there.

Its been an amazing thing to watch unfold.

PlayStation Plus was released in 2010, PS Now was released in 2014.

The result of having merged both is aprox. twice the userbase that GP has and having highly increased their own revenue (plus distance in revenue form GP).
PlayStation Plus essential isn’t equivalent to GamePass. PlayStation Plus extra and premium are.

RyanEvans21

EA has literally their entire EA Play library on game pass. Ubisoft has it's games on GamePass.

Kojima Productions has DEath Stranding on Gamepass

Paradox Interactive

Warner Bros.

Bandai Namco

Crystal Dynamics via Disney I suppose

Koei Tecmo

Devolver Digital

Sega

Riot Games

THQ Nordic

2k Games

Square Enix

Focus Entertainment

IO Interactive

Arc System Works

Capcom

I mean I purposely stayed away from mentioning publishers that were indie and those that are now owned by Xbox Studios, because of the point that was made. Also who gives a shit if there's indie games. Some of my favorite games are Indie developed.

Bottom Line. Jim lying through his crooked yellow ass teeth.

EA Play & Ubisoft+ are different subscription though (Included, if you subscribe to Xbox Ultimate).

Which one of them release their game day 1 on Game Pass?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
EA Play & Ubisoft+ are different subscription though (Included, if you subscribe to Xbox Ultimate).

Which one of them release their game day 1 on Game Pass?
I mean the games are still there. There was a conscious decision for those publishers to allow this to happen. I mean what are we saying here? Just because they don't allow it day one means they don't like gamepass? It serves it's purpose in specific situations. I don't understand why not doing day and date means somehow gamepass is bad for these publishers overall.

Last edited:
I likes Gamepass but its a dumbs idea Ryan is right my friends
People need to be categoric about it.

All the drama around GP is usually in the context of Day One AAA games....that is indeed dumb.

but as a service to discover games or give a chance to unfamiliar genres its value is amazing.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Like anything the market will decide. Its obviously good for customers, publishers currently prefere the 70 dollar unit sales up front.

No one forces anyone to buy a game, and no one forces any one to sub to game pass. As more data is generated and profit and loss calculated I am sure we will reach a happy medium.

You want to buy your game, buy your game...Happy to have a sub service, go for it. I like playstation plus a lot, and I like game pass. I'd happily wait for games to launch on the services but it's microsofts business plan to put their games day one on the service, that's their decision and one I'm not complaining about.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Jim implying that Microsoft are literally blackmailing publishers?

Also, why would ubisoft and EA have streaming services and also playstation plus exist if publishers hated them?

It's like he panicked and just said...Well guess what...publishers don't even like game pass....trust me, they told me.

Which publishers Mr Ryan?

Err ...umm...you know...all of em!
Ubisoft and EA do not have their day one streaming services on consoles. Only on PC. They clearly considered it and chose not to put them on consoles.

If the publishers didn’t hate gamepass then at least one of the big AAA games of this year would’ve shown up on gamepass. Hogwarts, re4, dead space, Star Wars, street fighter, Diablo. Ms couldn’t get any of these publishers to embrace gamepass on day one just like last year when elden ring, far cry 6, gotham knights, callisto and saints row didn’t go on gamepass day one.

All they have managed to get are small b games like wu long, atomic heart and their own exclusives from the zenimax acquisition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom