• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has committed to lowering its carbon footprint with PS5.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The PS5 will have substantially lower power consumption when a game is suspended than the PS4 does.

Over on PlayStation Blog, SIE president and CEO Jim Ryan has stated his intentions to partner with the other leaders in the gaming industry to lower their emissions as part of the UN Climate Summit. Sony will be part of the new Playing for the Planet alliance, and this will mean reducing emissions for the next PlayStation.

As Ryan states, Sony has made “substantial commitments and efforts” with the PS4 to reduce emissions, but they will push things further with the next system, allowing users to suspend gameplay in their games and leave them running in the background at a much lower energy cost than was possible with the PS4. “If just one million users enable this feature, it would save equivalent to the average electricity use of 1,000 US homes,” the post reads.

Ryan also says that they will make sure to better inform users of “energy efficient console set-up and use,” and that they are looking into PS VR applications that could ultimately help to better educate people.

Shagger

Banned
Not a bad thing, but it hardly seems to be THE answer to climate change. How much power does, for example, the PS4 Pro draw? Like 170-180 Watts max? That is is nothing. The TV you plug it into won't use much less than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Bootyful

Banned
AR8262s.gif

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

FranXico

The point is that this isn't going to that effective when it comes to reducing climate change and Sony knows that. This is about publicity as much as anything else, making this kind of a false gesture.
Of course it's insincere. All companies do this kind of gestures for publicity. But the end result is that it helps more than doing nothing about it.

emmerrei

The most stupid thing in the PS4 is the fact that the in-built ARM processor can't manage the download of contents while the main cpu is off. It would have made sense, having the console downloading with the lower power cpu with no fan active. They should look at that, not at this useless thing, also because every electronic device in my home are turned off from the power outlet directly.

Shagger

Banned
Just take this with a grain of salt, that's all I'm saying. If the PS5 is a powerful as they say, then expect it to use significantly more power than a PS4 even with these efforts. It's a game console, that makes it an abatrery luxury in life, not a necessity, so it is simply not a green item and it will never be.

bigol

Hilarious... PS5 already being marketed to the woke generation.

What is "woke" about trying to help the Earth? I know many of you don't care because by the time climate change will have its fully effects we will all be dead, but it's definitely a good move to help the future of the planet.

If they were actually serious, they'd stop making consoles and start planting trees.

This whole thing is a scam. It's basically like indulgences the Church used to sell. Buy our product and you'll save Mother Earth!

Actually i would suggest going back to Middle Ages. /s

Seriously, what are these arguments? Of course we can't stop progress, but we can have much more eco sustainable solutions, while still progressing with technology.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
To put things into perspective and via Google Translate (official data from Sony):

f5b89cf0b5.png

Last edited:

Shagger

Banned
What is "woke" about trying to help the Earth? I know many of you don't care because by the time climate change will have its fully effects we will all be dead, but it's definitely a good move to help the future of the planet.

Some people just can't handle anything even remotely left wing in their precious world of video games without it being "woke". Fans of "The Quartering" are a prime example of this.

Actually i would suggest going back to Middle Ages. /s

Seriously, what are these arguments? Of course we can't stop progress, but we can have much more eco sustainable solutions, while still progressing with technology.

Nothing wrong with going more eco-friendly... It's just that game consoles in of themselves are a waste of energy/money and are not necessary. Makes me think.. who are they marketing this too? If people really cared about the environment then why buy this over-packaged useless device to begin with? Know what I mean?

Well it's a good thing for everyone really. Electricity bills etc will be reduced.

Absolutely. 100%

engstra

I mean it's good that they're cutting down the energy usage of the consoles. At the end of the day though it's better to just turn the console off and not leave it in suspended mode

Psykodad

Banned
Nothing wrong with going more eco-friendly... It's just that game consoles in of themselves are a waste of energy/money and are not necessary. Makes me think.. who are they marketing this too? If people really cared about the environment then why buy this over-packaged useless device to begin with? Know what I mean?
And now PS5 will waste less money/energy than it would've otherwise.

What's even remotely negative about that? Same goes for MS and Nintendo if they make the same statements.

Sixkiller

Neo Member
Some people just can't handle anything even remotely left wing in their precious world of video games without it being "woke". Fans of "The Quartering" are a prime example of this.

Imagine being so ridiculously wedded to the right of the spectrum that a small move towards making a product more efficient and thereby possibly helping the welbeing of the planet is considered 'woke' and 'left wing'. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Baart

Banned
We gave this user the opportunity to clarify their comments. Quoting data supports facts, and should not be used as a justification for comments driven by prejudices.
Well it's a good thing for everyone really. Electricity bills etc will be reduced.

This is true, however while you are busy buying gaming consoles trying to save on electricity bills, your friends Mo and Achmed will keep on plowing in the front hole.

Fertilized eggs negate well meant 'every little bit helps' proposals.

Last edited:

Naibel

If the PS5 happens to be as quiet and well built as the Xbox One X, with even less power consumption, that's gonna be a huge plus in their favor. A kinda decent price to boot (one can dream...) and it could be my first day-one purchase in ages.

It's clearly a PR gesture to communicate about it, as there's a lot more ways to make the console more eco-friendly, but I certainly won't complain.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

trikster40

I wouldn’t even classify environmentalism as left wing. It affects everyone no matter what political side you’re on. I think they said if 1 million people use it, that’s like saving the electricity from 1,000 homes? That’s not woke or left wing, that just makes sense. It’s a click of a button and doesn’t affect anyone other than saving electricity. I’m surprised it’s not auto on by default.

As if they genuine care about the environment. No corporation cares. The entire environmental movement has been co-opted by corporations, and it's a business like everything else. If there's a reduction in this, there's going to be a increase in that. Profit is the bottom line. Don't be fooled by this attempt to "save face".

Miles708

As if they genuine care about the environment. No corporation cares. The entire environmental movement has been co-opted by corporations, and it's a business like everything else. If there's a reduction in this, there's going to be a increase in that. Profit is the bottom line. Don't be fooled by this attempt to "save face".

I agree, it's purely a business decision.
But that's the point, no? If Sony feels their perceived users can respond positively to these changes, they will change their strategy accordingly. It's a positive to talk to have, I think.

As usual, everyone votes with their wallets. Now, will I skip PS5 if it consumes too much electricity? Honesly, no.
But it's a point in its favour. Purchase decisions are usually made when enough "points" are met, especially on costly electronics.

LordOfChaos

A big feature of the PS5 is the rather fast (PCI-E 4) SSD, so my guess is instead of leaving the game in RAM as the PS4 does, this can dump it to disk and effectively hibernate like a PC, and the resume would just be seconds more than just turning on with it in RAM already with how fast it’s going to be. My guess anyways.

Top Bottom