• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has committed to lowering its carbon footprint with PS5.

lock2k

Banned
Good. I'll build a really power hungry PC in response because with many PS5 sold, I will have a lot of room to fuck around. lol

Jigsaah

Gold Member
When you are an angry white guy who hates everything, just label it "woke" and then commence to bitch.
It's insane...people don't even know what the fuck "Woke" means. I explained it in another thread and I don't feel it's crucial to repeat it here for the sake of this thread's conversation.

Regardless, you nailed it on the head. It's absolutely ridiculous, it's like some people just oppose things just to oppose them, without a semblance of independent thought in their mind.

Geki-D

Banned
Our friends of the less civilized / desert persuasion keep adding up more human waste, while the average console game collector is looking away and celebrating a 20 WATT difference.

I'm advocating for perspective.
And? What does that have to do with carbon footprint? China & the US put out the most CO2 and I'm pretty sure neither of them are Muslim countries...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Our friends of the less civilized / desert persuasion keep adding up more human waste, while the average console game collector is looking away and celebrating a 20 WATT difference.

I'm advocating for perspective.
Desert persuasion...are you referring to...India? Africa? Also...human waste as in...feces? This comment is incorrect on so many levels.

First of all, America is no slouch when it comes to waste. Want stats? I'll grab em for ya, but a simple Google search will prove that we are amongst the greatest offenders. As far as the 20 watt difference. Multiply that by a potential 90+ million PS5's. It adds up.

Last edited:
What is "woke" about trying to help the Earth? I know many of you don't care because by the time climate change will have its fully effects we will all be dead, but it's definitely a good move to help the future of the planet.

Actually i would suggest going back to Middle Ages. /s

Seriously, what are these arguments? Of course we can't stop progress, but we can have much more eco sustainable solutions, while still progressing with technology.

coincidentally, earths temperatures were WARMER in the middle ages.

Baart

Banned
And? What does that have to do with carbon footprint? China & the US put out the most CO2 and I'm pretty sure neither of them are Muslim countries...

I'm looking at this map for the human breeding grounds. I combine that with the trend of immigration as a driving force for population growth in civilized countries.

It makes me put the the console electricity bill thing in a different perspective.

Geki-D

Banned
It makes me put the the console electricity bill thing in a different perspective.
Okay? What, is this like a "why waste your time playing games when there are children dying of cancer" argument? How is any of this relevant to anything going on in this thread? Were you just gagging to get out your anti Muslim, anti immigration hot takes and misguidedly vomited them in this thread? The US & China have pretty low population growth but have the highest CO2 emissions. So again, your point is utterly irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Gexxy1

As long as the move doesn't make the console more expensive, then fine. I'd wager it does, however.

Last edited:

kingwingin

How my Power company should be after I boot up my scarlett for the first time.

Edit: there is a gif in my post, not sure what happened. Must be those energy efficient neogaf servers

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear that they are doing this--every bit helps. That being said, I hope that they are as serious as a heart attack about this, because everyone needs to be if we're going to prevent irreversible climate change damage within the next 11 years.

HarryKS

I'm looking at this map for the human breeding grounds. I combine that with the trend of immigration as a driving force for population growth in civilized countries.

You went full on 4Chan here man. Quite silly.

Tiamat2san

Good I guess.
Let’s see if Microsoft will do it too.

i play on a 65‘’ Oled with an atmos audio receiver, so it won’t change a lot on my electricity bill.

makaveli60

I think the negative views originate from that mainstream media pushes this thing and every sane person who haven't been brainwashed by them should be skeptical about everything they push. Yes, preserving our planet is objectively a good thing, but it's hard not to see that something is behind the rainbows.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I'm glad to hear that they are doing this--every bit helps. That being said, I hope that they are as serious as a heart attack about this, because everyone needs to be if we're going to prevent irreversible climate change damage within the next 11 years.

My guess 140-200w of serious. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This will not have any noticeable impact on anything, even if you did believe the silly carbontard nonsense. And on top of that, I'm going to take the over that the PS5 consumes more energy than the original PS4 at launch when playing games.

Last edited:
Anyone who isn't retarded knows that how much power it consumes while it's on is much more important. Which certainly will be a lot if it wants to be as powerful as gamers will expect it to be. But sure, save the planet blah blah.

JordanN

Banned
If Sony cares about the environment, maybe they shouldn't have mass produced this waste of plastic?

7taTG8R.jpg

Last edited:

Sakura

How are people finding ways to get mad about this lol.
People are just calling out marketing bullshit, nobody is mad. If they said, hey our wizards over at Sony HQ managed to make the PS5 consume way less power during suspend mode than the PS4, everybody would be like, "oh, cool".
Instead though, they are trying to pretend like they really care about the environment and their carbon footprint, to pander to a certain segment of people. If they really cared, there is way way more they could do than reduce the power consumption of rest mode by a watt or two. And if you as a gamer cared, you would play a Switch instead (or nothing at all).

Of course it's insincere. All companies do this kind of gestures for publicity. But the end result is that it helps more than doing nothing about it.
Yes we are all going to die, the sky is falling. I can't believe you all fall for this crap. I've been hearing doomsday crap since the 80s. Every prediction has been wrong. It's a means for authoritarians to tax and control. A world government instead of national sovereignty. People have gone insane., willing to give up your freedoms.

I really miss the days of Jack Tretton and mic dropping, back then Sony was amazing. I admit I used to be a big fan boy, the woke shit and virtual signalling is turning me off big time.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
PS5 is already the greatest console of all time.
But they still aren’t carbon neutral yet, so they have a ways to go.

I wouldn’t even classify environmentalism as left wing. It affects everyone no matter what political side you’re on. I think they said if 1 million people use it, that’s like saving the electricity from 1,000 homes? That’s not woke or left wing, that just makes sense. It’s a click of a button and doesn’t affect anyone other than saving electricity. I’m surprised it’s not auto on by default.
Saving electricity, and power for your budget is something I can get behind. Sucking at the tit of authoritarian progressivism and virtue signaling the woke blue check elite west coast/woke Twitter mob is something to scorn.

Sony should of just said they made ps5 have better power options to save you money. That message doesn't have some bullshit cult propaganda involved.

Geki-D

Banned
It blows my mind that there are so many outright climate change deniers on here. The literal science denialism in this thread rivals any flat Earth forum.

But they still aren’t carbon neutral yet, so they have a ways to go.
The console war's Rambo strikes again.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Or simply buy a NIntendo console.
They are power efficient even when gaming.
Nintendo is historically well known for having an utterly shit regard for the environment...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
wait, you're telling me that with them using newer technology...it'll consume less power?

well i'll be damned. bullshit PR nonsense.

Desert persuasion...are you referring to...India? Africa? Also...human waste as in...feces? This comment is incorrect on so many levels.

First of all, America is no slouch when it comes to waste. Want stats? I'll grab em for ya, but a simple Google search will prove that we are amongst the greatest offenders. As far as the 20 watt difference. Multiply that by a potential 90+ million PS5's. It adds up.

Think they meant Muslims, which could be from both of those regions and many others. Still tho.....ooooof

It blows my mind that there are so many outright climate change deniers on here. The literal science denialism in this thread rivals any flat Earth forum.

The console war's Rambo strikes again.

Like I said earlier it's not about denying climate change is real. It's about denying the impact we as human beings have had on those changes over the past few decades. I.e we as a species are being blamed more than a little too much for it. At least some of what's happening is just natural for the planet's historical climate process; we could all stand still for a decade and you would still see an uptick in global warming.

Also if you haven't noticed some companies have been pushing for green alternative energy in the places that can least afford them, now why would they be doing that? If you think they're doing all this solely for the benefit of the average person you're wrong; it's ultimately about consolidation of resources and power..

engstra

Like I said earlier it's not about denying climate change is real. It's about denying the impact we as human beings have had on those changes over the past few decades. I.e we as a species are being blamed more than a little too much for it. At least some of what's happening is just natural for the planet's historical climate process; we could all stand still for a decade and you would still see an uptick in global warming.

Some of the previous posts have at least been somewhat sarcastic in their climate breakdown denial. Your statement is just false and outright irresponsible in spreading disinformation and making light of an issue that's about as serious as it can get.

Is this an actual thing or is it just pure marketing?

History-640x336.png

source: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...power-consumption-inefficiencies-still-abound

I mean, the big spike came with PS3, then PS4 reduced it again, though still far above PS2 levels (except during standby). Generally it seems like most of the newer iterations as well reduce the power draw. It's not like it's because of some concerted effort to lower carbon footprint, I imagine it's more to do with better temperature management, to make sure it's less prone to errors and things like that. Is there anything specific to it other than a low-effort marketing ploy? I mean, didn't Xbox One do better than them according to this? I don't really buy companies and their supposed benevolence.

Top Bottom