• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Video Pass is real

Would you like this service?

• Total voters
It supposedly will be included with ps plus. No extra charges.

These movies and shows won't cost Sony to put on PS+. They already ran their course in theaters. So long as the movie or tv show does not have exclusivity deal with other streaming apps, Sony can put as much movies and tv shows as their Sony Pictures produce.

A service with these combination of movies, tv shows, anime, and games should be Sony's strategy for the casuals. No need for playstation. Watch anywhere, play anywhere.

A more refined and bigger PS+ should be Sony's more gamer-focused service building on top of the 45 million subscribers it already has.

1. Subscription service for the casuals.
  • Streaming. Hardware-agnostic.
  • Few exclusive shows
  • Movies, tv shows, anime - THE FOCUS
  • Video games - ADDED VALUE
2. Subscription service for the gamers.
  • Build it on top of PS+ (45M subs)
  • Merging PSNow and PS+ Collection could be a good start.
  • Video games - THE FOCUS
  • Movies, tv shows, anime - ADDED VALUE
Rationale: Gamers don't care about streaming. Casuals don't care about hardware.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
If there’s stuff to watch and it’s not just Spiderman then yeah. Not going to say not to free. Well, not free but part of my subs.

SpokkX

Wtf is this?

i have never, ever, watched a movie on a playstation console

not about to start now - oh and i ALREADY have several movie streaming apps that work on every device i own

this is sony 2006 level bad

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If it's included in Plus, I may dabble (and only if they create a TV app and I don't have to use a console.) Other than that, not interested.

Bartski

Gold Member
yeah it's an app you instal via PS+, lands in your "Media" tab next to Netflix, Twitch and Youtube.

Nothing really interesting on the list I haven't seen before, but as a "free" addition to PS+ I don't see why not.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Sort of like their first party game lineup.
ahh kinda. I prefer PS1 and especially PS2 era Sony because I feel there was much more variety and risk-taking.
It is not like their games are bad. There is a clear direction where they a going, and from a business point of view this definitely makes sense, but I just would like to see more games like Gravity Rush, Tearaway, etc., and sequels to Ape Escape, Wipeout, Twisted Metal, etc.
I miss the balance. Their games are well made though and they do sell, so from that standpoint, they aren't anything wrong.

Great Hair

Banned
16F6Dus.png

ahh kinda. I prefer PS1 and especially PS2 era Sony because I feel there was much more variety and risk-taking.
It is not like their games are bad. There is a clear direction where they a going, and from a business point of view this definitely makes sense, but I just would like to see more games like Gravity Rush, Tearaway, etc., and sequels to Ape Escape, Wipeout, Twisted Metal, etc.
I miss the balance. Their games are well made though and they do sell, so from that standpoint, they aren't anything wrong.
I liked the variety too but its become cost prohibitive. This game looks pretty by the numbers with no real innovation gameplay wise. Will wait for the bargain bin.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Good stuff if its free on PS+ just for added value.

Yup, it only makes PS+ a more appealing subscription. I'm for one won't bother subbing for more than Netflix, so I'm missing some of the movies offered there. But getting Sony X90J with a bigger offering from Bravia Core at top quality IMAX for free for 1 year anyway when I buy that TV with same offering and more.

Bravia Core has more or the same?
BC has quite a bit more. I’m not sure if some are missing. I don’t remember seeing Arrival, but I could be wrong. There is a decent selection of 4K IMAX on BC. Most of the movies are HD only, and many can’t be streamed, they must be redeemed. There are no TV shows on it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
BC has quite a bit more. I’m not sure if some are missing. I don’t remember seeing Arrival, but I could be wrong. There is a decent selection of 4K IMAX on BC. Most of the movies are HD only, and many can’t be streamed, they must be redeemed. There are no TV shows on it.

Seems like they're yet to get their shit together, but the potential is there. They can just avoid high risks and stick to small install base but profitable through TV sales + future fees. I would redeem/buy a new movie, I like that option.

ZehDon

... this isn't Sony's "counter punch" to Gamepass, I hope?

Microsoft: Here's so many games in a month you can't play them all! New games, indie games, backwards compatible games! Oh, and all of our brand new games? Boom - day one!
Sony: Here's Zombieland: Double Tap and Charlie's Angels! Ghostbusters 2016, Equalizer 2, Inferno! Oh, and all of our new games? Boom - USD$70.00!

Pallas

I wonder if they will do what HBO Max is doing and stream movies made by Sony on the date that they are released in theaters?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I wonder if they will do what HBO Max is doing and stream movies made by Sony on the date that they are released in theaters?

It depends on the contracts they made with Netflix and Disney, I think this will only be a complementary service.

Pallas

It depends on the contracts they made with Netflix and Disney, I think this will only be a complementary service.
True but I can see this growing if Sony is serious. It’ll be a big boon also if they couple it with Funimation and maybe Crunchyroll if they ever get out of antitrust hell.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
True but I can see this growing if Sony is serious. It’ll be a big boon also if they couple it with Funimation and maybe Crunchyroll if they ever get out of antitrust hell.

Funimation isn't available in my country, so a VPN needed. Would be good to have it in the mix indeed. I think Crunchyroll is available though, so they wanna merge both with this acquisition.

Fox Mulder

I already pay for PS+ and PSNow, I don’t care about another video subscription. I see no benefit even if it was a free add on. This likely won’t get original content like Amazon, Netflix, or Disney+. Sony just signed a big deal with Netflix for their content anyways.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is dumb as shit. I pay for PS+ to get games and gaming-related benefits, not TV/movies. I already have better services for that.

If this is their response to Game Pass... lol.

Keihart

I was interested until i watched the pics, that looks like crackled ...like a super budget netflix. Make Weeb Pass Ultimate at least, that would be worth it.

WHERE IS THE ANIME JIM!? WHERE IS IT!?

Show Me The Money GIF

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I was interested until i watched the pics, that looks like crackled ...like a super budget netflix. Make Weeb Pass Ultimate at least, that would be worth it.

It's experimental now. Personally, I think anime would actually be much more successful than regular movies/series, although I'm not an anime fan (nor a hater).

LOLCats

Banned
fucking derp guys. this is next level stupid shit. only worse than quibi, maybe just a step above dc online.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
If they just included Funimation and Crunchyroll whenever that comes through....would be great value.

But I can see they want to offer extra value to psplus, free films and tv are always good and keeps people inside the sony family.

Gamerguy84

Last edited:
It's an added benefit with no extra cost attached to your PS+ Subscription. They said it's a separate app for PS4/PS5 with content rotating being added every 3 months. They're using Poland as a test pool to see if it's viable to send out to everybody else.
Here's the IGN article with the list

Movies:
  • Bloodshot
  • Jumanji: The Next Level
  • Zombieland 2: Double Tap
  • Charlie's Angels (2019)
  • Venom (2018)
  • The Equalizer 2
  • Baby Driver
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Underworld: Blood Wars
  • Arrival
  • Sausage Party
  • Inferno (2016)
  • American Hustle
  • This is the End
  • Bad Boys (1995)
TV Shows:
  • Future Man (seasons 1-3)
  • SuperMansion (seasons 1-3)
  • Community (seasons 1-6)
  • Deadly Class (seasons 1)
  • SWAT (seasons 1-2)
  • Lost Girl (seasons 1-5)
Whoa, free add-on with PS+?

Not bad if it is true that this isnt a seperate service altogether with different price tag.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem perhaps you should add the above information to the OP?

Seems like quite the vital information to add on from the start.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Whoa, free add-on with PS+?

Not bad if it is true that this isnt a seperate service altogether with different price tag.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem perhaps you should add the above information to the OP?

Seems like quite the vital information to add on from the start.

Added a note at the top of the OP. Starting the thread it wasn't clear which probably made many come to have some kinda "beef" against the service, which is complementary to what you already get with PS Plus. Added stuff isn't bad with no extra charge.:messenger_ok:

Top Bottom