• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal has sold out two days after launch | Listings with inflated prices have started to appear online

midnightAI

its in stock everywhere in europe..nobody wants to buy this
UK not part of Europe any more? Sold out everywhere here unless you want to pay scalpers

(You may also have trouble in Italy and Germany)

And what do you mean nobody wants to buy this? I have one, many others on here have one, it's sold out in a few countries, so saying nobody wants it is just a flat out lie

Last edited:

Three

I mean your guess is so far out of the realm of reality it puts your "weight" into question.

Demand being above supply really tells us nothing.
It tells us it's performing above what they expected at launch, whether its 100k or 10M. It also doesn't matter as long as the numbers are making sense for them to keep making it because this isn't a platform that requires its own games.

Three

Kinect sold like gang busters when it released.

You’re always going to have the early adopters.
Kinect was pretty successful during the Wii fad but this isn't some motion controls so not really the same thing. The audience is the same person that plays regular console games. No doubt sales will slow as people who want it buy it but I'm not sure I see the Kinect connection here unless you think handhelds are going to decline in popularity. I personally didn't see the point of the Portal but I'm warming up to it.

Killjoy-NL

No, this is just a nice(r) way to play remote. Each sold system is a happy player using a feature that is around for a while now on the most comfortable way. It really does not matter really if the system sells 1 or 10 million.
I think bolded is the part some pessimists don't understand:

Playstation Portal isn't a system.
It's a portable screen/controller.

That's why it sounds so dumb when people claim it'll fail.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Kinect was pretty successful during the Wii fad but this isn't some motion controls so not really the same thing. The audience is the same person that plays regular console games. No doubt sales will slow as people who want it buy it but I'm not sure I see the Kinect connection here unless you think handhelds are going to decline in popularity. I personally didn't see the point of the Portal but I'm warming up to it.
Pretty much what you said, but I don't think Kinect even should be compared to Portal.

Kinect needed games designed specifically for Kinect-features. So it failed because it lacked support.
Same as motion-controls for Wii (and Playstation Move).
These were fads and needed dedicated support.

Portal is completely different to them, or typical handelds, because it doesn't require any kind of support other than Remote Play, which is just streaming video-output to a portable device.

Exactly. While it's a very positive start it's all about legs.

It doesn't really matter as it isn't a platform in and of itself. It doesn't have unique software or a unique way to buy games.

It's about expanding the PS5 beyond being displayed on a screen and when game streaming via server is added it'll continue to be about that.

I do wonder what Sony's internal projections are as they had strong enough data to design and build it.

Imtjnotu

How does a "niche crap I don't want this, don't see the point, worthless, what the hell was sony thinking, they only produced 5 per country " device sell out everywhere

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Copium levels off the scale for the people wanting this device to fail.

Cry Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins

It doesn't really matter as it isn't a platform in and of itself. It doesn't have unique software or a unique way to buy games.

It's about expanding the PS5 beyond being displayed on a screen and when game streaming via server is added it'll continue to be about that.

I do wonder what Sony's internal projections are as they had strong enough data to design and build it.

They don't read Neogaf for sure. I read here that this competes with Steam Deck OLED.... :D

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
But, but, no one asked for this 🥴
How does a "niche crap I don't want this, don't see the point, worthless, what the hell was sony thinking, they only produced 5 per country " device sell out everywhere
It really broke some people's souls that this thing is sold out and actually fun to use just even by comments in this thread alone, heck this page alone

midnightAI

Kinect sold like gang busters when it released.

You’re always going to have the early adopters.
If they sell Kinect numbers (35 million in total) then they'll be very happy.

But once again, Kinect relies on support, this doesn't, this will likely even work on PS6 when that's finally released

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I wasn’t comparing them in terms of capabilities, but rather a new gizmo on the market will likely sell out to early adopters.

Ansphn

Loving mine. I always used remote play but this took it to another level. I have played more games through the Portal than through monitors/TV since i got it. Cleared out Firewatch recently. Perfect trophy hunting device while in bed.

Last edited:

DrFigs

It's a pretty smart way to get people to use remote play. It seems a lot of people don't even know you can already use remote play with a phone/ipad and dualsense controller. or maybe that it's more convenient to have a single unified device for it.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's a pretty smart way to get people to use remote play. It seems a lot of people don't even know you can already use remote play with a phone/ipad and dualsense controller. or maybe that it's more convenient to have a single unified device for it.
I have done remote play often on my Ipad with a dualsense and it does work nicely but I mainly bought this thing for convenience as its not always comfortable for me placing the ipad while I sit outside and get some game time in

Ogbert

I like mine. The main selling point is the dual sense integration. It’s enjoyable to play on a handheld with that sense of immersion.

Just keep your expectations in check. It’s still a streaming device so, despite all improvements, has that slight floatiness to gameplay.

And forget competitive multiplayer on it.

Killjoy-NL

I like mine. The main selling point is the dual sense integration. It’s enjoyable to play on a handheld with that sense of immersion.

Just keep your expectations in check. It’s still a streaming device so, despite all improvements, has that slight floatiness to gameplay.

And forget competitive multiplayer on it.
You can play MW3 with almost no problems, just like Overwatch ranked

Last edited:

Skifi28

I think bolded is the part some pessimists don't understand:

Playstation Portal isn't a system.
It's a portable screen/controller.

That's why it sounds so dumb when people claim it'll fail.
Exactly, it's an accessory like a pair of official headphones. As long as they make a profit per unit it doesn't have to sell millions.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Whats most funny about all this. A certain group told us that we need to stfu because streaming is the future, and play the games on our phone via xcloud or whatever. This same group of people are now completely hating on this, spreading misinformation that you can’t use it outside your own network. Well remote plays isn’t new to PS owners so people don’t know shit. PS was always open to use anywhere with remote play.

Let’s face it. There is no Xbox logo on this device, thats why.

Last edited:

ViolentP

The product does exactly what I wanted it to when I initially purchased it. It’s how transactions should work.

The opinion that it selling is bad is more useless than the product they are upset about.

Kerotan

That's true aswell. It's basically an accessory like a pro controller.

Top Bottom