• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

Yoboman

Nothing is stopping anyone else from doing the same.
The reason nobody else is doing it is because it's monopolistic and the only way MS is achieving it is because of the money they earned in other markets. This is not even MS earning the right to secure acquisitions because of their own revenues in gaming

That is one of the many reasons why the deal is being scrutinised.

Yes, what I said it's exactly what Bungie and SIE said: Bungie is now a 100% owned SIE subsidiary that will report to Jim Ryan.

They will have creative freedom, as their PS Studio development teams also have, but unlike them Bungie will keep publishing multiplatform using the Bungie publishing label, not under the PS Studios publishing label, even if SIE owns both publishers.

It's basically the same MS did with Bethesda: Bethesda continued publishing their post acquisition games as Bethesda, as it's the case of Deathloop on PS. Not as Microsoft Game Studios.

Sony said multiple times they don't plan to release new games on PS+PC. They even shown graphs showing that they will increase their number of new PS only games released per year and that the amount of old games ported to PC per year will continue being smaller than the amount of new games released for PS only.

So the amount of PS only games will increase over time, not decrease.
Well They also said they believed in generation. This is bullshit.

GHG

I have a question. What is even being negotiated here between Sony and Microsoft? Is Microsoft trying to get out of the marketing deal and making "concessions" as to CoD being on PS going forward? Wonder what the crux of the issue is here.

Currently the CMA are the issue.

Everything you've seen in the last week has been about this.

Instead of Phil doing it directly in private with them, he decided to go public to try and apply pressure via the media and the gaming community as a whole (if you want to see this in action look no further than some of the replies to the tweets above, it's chaos). Understandably Jim hasn't taken kindly to it.

Last edited:
”permanently”
”game series”

What game serie can you say this about regarding Microsoft?

Do we know that The Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout IPs will permanently vanish from Playstation?

Nope.

All we know is that individual already announced games in certain game series will skip certain platforms. Which at this point is… uhm… what exactly?

We do know that Final Fantasy has been skipping MS and Nintendo platforms for awhile now though. Is it permanent? No idea.
And we know that Street Fighter 5 skipped everything except PS and PC. Permanently? No idea.
Insomniac was just starting to warm up as a multiplat dev and doing VR and new IPs when Sony bought them, they haven’t released a single game outside of Playstation since then. But is this permanent? 🤷‍♂️
He’s said Elder Scrolls is exclusive. Hellblade is exclusive.

Street Fighter 6 is on Xbox.
Other final fantasy games are on Xbox.

Sony did not permanently take those IP away from gamers.

Microsoft will be doing that, and have done.

If people cheer that on, well, you aren’t a gamer for all gamers. Even if you defend it, it’s fanboyism.

Do I agree with Sony’s methods? No. But they are far less damaging to gaming than Microsoft’s publisher buyouts. And let us Remember - Microsoft do and have done what Sony are currently doing.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The reason nobody else is doing it is because it's monopolistic
The Princess Bride Reaction GIF

Microsoft owning Call of Duty is not a monopoly.

If Microsoft bought Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fortnite (AHAHAHAHAHAH), Apex Legends, Medal of Honor, etc...THAT would be a monopoly.

If this deal goes through all gamers will be heading into a new golden age of gaming.

MS at their peak vs. Scared Sony. The best possible world for gamers. The opposite of arrogant.

Call of Duty will remain multiplat like Minecraft, like MS has publicly said a dozen times. All this means is they renegotiate in 3 years like literally every other third party deal.
This guy gets it.

Well if he wasn't he'd just accept whatever Phil is offering right now.

Not surprised people can't read the room, especially when people are talking as if it's a done deal.

Let me put it this way, if it were a done deal and there was nothing to worry about Phil doesn't circumvent the usual process and make the detailed statements he did to the press last week. There simply wouldn't have been a need.
The perception of goodwill is everything in today's world, especially when dealing with megacorps like Microsoft. Also, what process was Phil circumventing exactly? He reached out to a rival to assure them that they would have a grace period wherein they'd still have access to an asset and he made the statement through social media channels. Unless you haven't been awake for the past 15 years, this is how almost every company releases information nowadays.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I have a question. What is even being negotiated here between Sony and Microsoft? Is Microsoft trying to get out of the marketing deal and making "concessions" as to CoD being on PS going forward? Wonder what the crux of the issue is here.

Ok, but that's not what I said.
Nothing really. Its two companies just fighting for there best interests.

If Ms wasn't a distant 3rd or 4thor whatever they are in gaming and they were trying to buy Acti-Blizz and EA. Then a case could be made for monopoly laws.
But thats just not the case.
This deal could mean playstation might be less successful, which is why they are fighting it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
yeah, im enjoying it. This is like all the drama surrounding Dont Worry Darling. I wouldve never seen that movie but after seeing Harry Styles spit on Chris Pine and hearing he was banging Olivia Wilde in the trailer while they shot the movie without her has me intrigued.
Hahaha, brilliant.

Fredrik

They just want the deal to close and they’re not sure this will happen if they say that you need a PC or Xbox to play Call of Duty, Diablo, Overwatch etc going forward. So they’re sneaky and hoping that’ll make it easier.

Tbh the new info makes the deal and price make more sense now. 3 years is nothing. I should buy stocks.

Leyasu

Banned
The CMA aren't idiots and they deal with different segments of the industry and look at all timeframes, short, mid and long term. The CMA aren't looking at who sold the most consoles but at predicting whether it's a company trying to drive a competitor out of a market, often by not making money in the short term to then make it once they dominate the market. The CMAs current concern is sub and cloud gaming. The deal will likely go through but this stupid "but we're third place look at our console sales" that Phil and his band of merry men only now seem to acknowledge once they have regulators breathing down their neck is nonsense when for years they have been saying Sony is not even one of their competitors and that console sales are not the driving force of their business.
We’ll yeah as the CMA are looking at subs and cloud, then Amazon and Google both have a large cloud infrastructure and a sub service. If they are good or not (their gaming service) is another matter.

But in the cloud arena they are huge competitors.

We only know what they said in the Brazilian filings and perhaps they talked about their console sales because the Brazilian regulators didn’t scrutinise their cloud and sub service.

It's someone in the industry high up is calling out the lie dispensers lies.

I wouldn't care if Phil spoke straight from the start. But it's nothing but lies, fake platiudes and word twisting.

And the pathetic good guy gamer shit really doesn't fly.

The reason nobody else is doing it is because it's monopolistic and the only way MS is achieving it is because of the money they earned in other markets. This is not even MS earning the right to secure acquisitions because of their own revenues in gaming

That is one of the many reasons why the deal is being scrutinised.
There is no law that dictates how a company should allocate its retained earnings among its different divisions. If you are blaming Microsoft for being too successful as a whole, the time for that reality check was back in the 90s when Microsoft and Bill Gates were being grilled by the US Govt for anti-competitive practices.

Menzies

Banned
I assume Jimbo won't mind sharing the consent decree papers that they signed to keep putting Destiny on Xbox until the end of time?

The way I understand it, there's always a fixed term mentioned and not a 'forever' commitment. 6 years post acquisition ain't bad. Surely. CoD will lose popularity over 6 years.

GHG

The perception of goodwill is everything in today's world, especially when dealing with megacorps like Microsoft. Also, what process was Phil circumventing exactly? He reached out to a rival to assure them that they would have a grace period wherein they'd still have access to an asset and he made the statement through social media channels. Unless you haven't been awake for the past 15 years, this is how almost every company releases information nowadays.

He's responding to the CMA's concerns publicly and directly implicating Sony as being a barrier to the deal (when it actually stands to reason that they potentially won't be the only ones discussing this with the CMA and all other regulators in the background).

The correct way to go about it is to respond directly to them, in private and if you do need to say something publicly you keep it vague in addition to not individually calling anybody else out.

MScarpa

I love this shit so much!! This is awesome, I hope they both keep shit talking to each other. Better hope Satya doesn't give Phil another blank check though. They got that " fuck you" money.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Of course in a perfect world that would be ideal. The problem is their multiplat strategy will eventually have an impact on the quality and originality of their games.
Maybe

Maybe they will get better with a 2 year cycle instead of yearly.

Maybe give Halo to one of these teams

Who knows whats going to happen with these games as especially with COD their quality and originality has been on the decline last few years anyhow

The thing is Phil has said all along he intends to keep in multiplat and gave Jimmie the chance for a 3 year guarantee after current contract expires

Pretty generous imo

Yoboman

If Microsoft bought Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fortnite (AHAHAHAHAHAH), Apex Legends, Medal of Honor, etc...THAT would be a monopoly.
MS have full control over the growing cloud gaming market and can use the acquisition of major publishers to further entrench that, which is what the regulators are looking at.

He's responding to the CMA's concerns publicly and directly implicating Sony as being a barrier to the deal (when it actually stands to reason that they potentially won't be the only ones discussing this with the CMA and all other regulators in the background).

The correct way to go about it is to respond directly to them, in private and if you do need to say something publicly you keep it vague in addition to not individually calling anybody else out.
Microsoft has made acquisitions of this nature dozens of times with success over the past 4 decades. Most of them just as heavily scrutinized if not more so. I don't think they need any advice from Neogaf members over how to "correctly" go about the process.

Mr Moose

Some people are talking about EA being next for MS (in this thread). That would get all but one of those.

Fredrik

He’s said Elder Scrolls is exclusive. Hellblade is exclusive.

Street Fighter 6 is on Xbox.
Other final fantasy games are on Xbox.

Sony did not permanently take those IP away from gamers.

Microsoft will be doing that, and have done.

If people cheer that on, well, you aren’t a gamer for all gamers. Even if you defend it, it’s fanboyism.

Do I agree with Sony’s methods? No. But they are far less damaging to gaming than Microsoft’s publisher buyouts. And let us Remember - Microsoft do and have done what Sony are currently doing.
They’ve been vague as hell on The Elder Scrolls. We certainly don’t know if it’s permanent.
We don’t know if Hellblade 2 is permanent.

Final Fantasy is essentially gone from Xbox. Remake, Rebirth, assumingly part 3, 16 aren’t coming to Xbox going by what we know right low. But again we don’t know if it’s permanent.

Remove ”permanently” and ”game series” from your previous post and it’s easier to have a meaningful conversation.

Last edited:

GHG

Microsoft has made acquisitions of this nature dozens of times with success over the past 4 decades. Most of them just as heavily scrutinized if not more so. I don't think they need any advice from Neogaf members over how to "correctly" go about the process.

As a business they have made huge deals before but this is the largest one for Xbox, and the first one that has come under this level of scrutiny.

At this stage, first and foremost it's a legal process, but they clearly cant help themselves. So what will be will be.

They’ve been vague as hell on The Elder Scrolls. We certainly don’t know if it’s permanent.

Final Fantasy is essentially gone from Xbox. Remake, Rebirth, assumingly part 3, 16 aren’t coming to Xbox going by what we know right low. But again we don’t know if it’s permanent.

Remove ”permanently” and ”game series” from your previous post and it’s easier to have a meaningful conversation.
There is no hope for you. ‘Essentially’ is mental gymnastics for you to justify what Microsoft is doing.

Nothing I said is wrong.

The fact that you are trying to justify what Microsoft is doing says a lot. You aren’t putting a position forward for all gamers, you are defending a position that will exclude groups of gamers permanently.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Mainline Final Fantasy is not on Xbox, the remake and its sequel are not on Xbox.

Spider Man is not on Xbox anymore. Wolverine won't be on Xbox. Both those IP's have had previous games on Xbox.

I saw this on a German discussion with translate

He's literally trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Inadequate? That’s 3 years more than I thought they’d get. My bet was zero more years.

I’m not sure why Sony feel they are entitled to CoD for some reason. They come of as extremely dependent on this one franchise to survive to me. It’s really strange to see.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
As far as we know Nintendo didn’t give fuck either, but now you will downplay Nintendo.
is CoD published on Nintendo platforms? You know, the game Sony is having a fit over because it generates them hundreds of millions of dollars in revenues annually?

It’s really no different than your ”permanently” lol
If you don’t know the difference then this conversation is pointless. Permanently is based on facts. Essentially is you doing some mental gymnastics.

Sony HAVE NOT taken away a series from Xbox forever.

Xbox will be doing that.

That is factual and unarguable.

Top Bottom