• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

ManaByte

Gold Member
FFXI launched in 2002. It was on PS/PC for years before it came out on Xbox.

It came out on the 360 due to the HDD and because the PS2 Slim couldn't use the PS2 HDD.

FF7 and 9 didn't come to Xbox until 2019
Those were the remasters everyone got them.

Doesn't change the fact that using Jim's own logic; Final Fantasy has been on the Xbox since 2006 (the same year Call of Duty arrived on the PS3, Big Red One was on the PS2 the year earlier), but people seem to think it's perfectly fine for him to block Final Fantasy games from Xbox.

cormack12

Gold Member
If this looks set to drag on, what's the chances MS just sunset call of duty. Then create a new title and just advertise as 'from the studio that brought you call of duty comes TITLE'.

It would reset all the shit numbering in cod as well lol

"philnocchio" is a great name

he must be fuming right now...............

xbox-phil-spencer.gif
Just curious why people think Phil is the one fuming here when he holds all the cards, or soon will IF the deal goes through

Beggars cant be choosers. This dude better be glad he is getting anything. The nerve of him. I know MS needs the acquisitions to go through, but if you aint putting God of War on Xbox shut up. I love games flowing to every console. I'd be fine with a console that plays everything, but this dude has some nerve.

Three

If this looks set to drag on, what's the chances MS just sunset call of duty. Then create a new title and just advertise as 'from the studio that brought you call of duty comes TITLE'.

It would reset all the shit numbering in cod as well lol
They will have Titanfall 3?

Stuart360

They should just stop releasing it on PS after the marketing deal ends because of this comment, how inadequate is it now?
I'm actually surprised it seems like the plan is to eventually take away COF from Playstation. I mean just having COD on Gamepass will be a huge insentive to buy an Xbox from the casual masses. And the hardcore Sony fanboys that would never buy an Xbox, well MS get $70 from them for the sales of the game.

sainraja

Jim should be grateful they get 3 additional years with COD beyond the agreed upon terms that have been signed. I doubt Sony would have offered the same grace period had they been the ones to own the IP.
Well, there is Bungie that proves that wrong. There is no grace period with current, future Bungie games. You might argue that it's because of Bungie but Sony agreed to those terms.

I'm actually surprised it seems like the plan is to eventually take away COF from Playstation. I mean just having COD on Gamepass will be a huge insentive to buy an Xbox from the casual masses. And the hardcore Sony fanboys that would never buy an Xbox, well MS get $70 from them for the sales of the game.
I think they just want the option of doing that, which is understandable. They didn't spend 70B for nothing. With the 3 year promise, they can argue the point of trying to be 'reasonable' with their competitors, that they already tried doing.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Just curious why people think Phil is the one fuming here when he holds all the cards, or soon will IF the deal goes through
because phil is the good guy , always with a smile on his face.
which makes me think , what makes him tick? , I WANT TO SEE THIS GUY GET ANGRY , LOSE HIS COOL

Sony has blocked numerous titles off of the Xbox console. Even games MS owns like Ghostwire Toyko and Deathloop aren't on Xbox currently. Games that have been on Xbox previously like Final Fantasy and Street Fighter were also denied. As mentioned earlier MS continued making Minecraft games on other platforms even after that acquisition.

MS is doing what they need to so support their customers. Sony has proven that they are clearly not too worried about Xbox gamers being denied games but MS at least was nice enough to make assurances on content they intend to purchase will be available on PlayStation for a time.

If Jim Ryan is not happy about the terms Phil Spencer offered he is free to put in a higher bid for Activision. He can then guarantee those titles will be on PlayStation forever and can even block them from ever hitting an Xbox again. It's business and he is free to compete. For now he should be grateful since he is hardly in a position to make demands.

Well, there is Bungie that proves that wrong. There is no grace period with current, future Bungie games. You might argue that it's because of Bungie but Sony agreed to those terms.
Sony agreed to those terms because there would have no deal without that stipulation. Bungie made sure to never again lose control of their IP and their publishing power after leaving Microsoft.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Poor Jim.....Poor, Poor Jimbo!

Phil ya lying git......This gonna get ugly. We need something exciting, coz the gaming is not giving us what we want lol

A whole lot of Microsoft fanboyism going on in this thread. This industry is being ruined by consolidation. It's sad really. And instead of seeing the bigger picture, all the kids are like "LOL Chad Phil, buy something else to screw with Jim and Sony lolololol"

People act like it doesn't affect Nintendo.

All Microsoft are doing is trying to buy love by buying the market. It's really simple. It's going to impact a lot of people. But the truth is Sony could buy a few publishers but it's not going to make games any more fun.

Let's get Sony to buy Capcom and Square, then Microsoft can buy SEGA and Sony will buy Namco and Konami, so Microsoft will buy Take 2 and Ubisoft etc. Where's the fun in that?

Barakov

Things are getting spicy. Fair play to Jimbo for calling out Spencer on this. Then again he's guilty of doing it himself with smaller games, compared to COD anyway. It happened with the Bethesda stuff now there's a chance for it to happen with COD in the next 3-4 years. Now is the time for Sony to make some moves that will help when/if COD is just on Xbox/PC. Maybe Bungie can help them with that?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Poor Jim.....Poor, Poor Jimbo!

Phil ya lying git......This gonna get ugly. We need something exciting, coz the gaming is not giving us what we want lol
yeah, im enjoying it. This is like all the drama surrounding Dont Worry Darling. I wouldve never seen that movie but after seeing Harry Styles spit on Chris Pine and hearing he was banging Olivia Wilde in the trailer while they shot the movie without her has me intrigued.

sainraja

Sony agreed to those terms because there would have no deal without that stipulation. Bungie made sure to never again lose control of their IP and their publishing power after leaving Microsoft.
Ok?

You were still wrong in the point that you were trying to make.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Things are getting spicy. Fair play to Jimbo for calling out Spencer on this. Then again he's guilty of doing it himself with smaller games, compared to COD anyway. It happened with the Bethesda stuff now there's a chance for it to happen with COD in the next 3-4 years. Now is the time for Sony to make some moves that will help when/if COD is just on Xbox/PC. Maybe Bungie can help them with that?

Sony could buy EA and make Battlefield and Medal of Honor PS exclusive.

Elios83

Do y’all realize Microsoft does not own Activision yet and Jim is doing what is required to secure a good deal for his platform? If Microsoft is required to make such concessions in order for the deal to go through. This is one of the largest acquisitions in history and requires close scrutiny.

Indeed this is the only goal here.
Exposing how the idea of COD being the new Minecraft is just a lie that Phil is trying to sell to regulators and hope they can put enough pressure that they're forced to make bigger concessions rather than risking the deal to be blocked.
If will be interesting to see the position of other European regulators, usually it's totally in line with UK on this stuff.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Lol that doesn’t mean shit, Sony’s letting them self-publish like Microsoft is with Bethesda. That’s the whole point of acquiring 100% of a company’s shares, you fully own them now. If Jimbo tells them tomorrow that from now on PlayStation Studios will publish Bungie’s games wherever they want, Bungie can’t do anything. They’re a fully owned subsidiary of SIE now.

Last edited:
The CMA aren't idiots and they deal with different segments of the industry and look at all timeframes, short, mid and long term. The CMA aren't looking at who sold the most consoles but at predicting whether it's a company trying to drive a competitor out of a market, often by not making money in the short term to then make it once they dominate the market. The CMAs current concern is sub and cloud gaming. The deal will likely go through but this stupid "but we're third place look at our console sales" that Phil and his band of merry men only now seem to acknowledge once they have regulators breathing down their neck is nonsense when for years they have been saying Sony is not even one of their competitors and that console sales are not the driving force of their business.

aliens-bill-paxton.gif

PuffyCan

It makes sense to continue releasing it on PS this generation and make it exclusive next-gen. That way you don't lose players mid-gen who might find something else on PS since they already are in this ecosystem and don't want to buy another system because of COD.

Darsxx82

So it only matters if they are AAA franchises? Yeah, no, not at all, it's either bad for both or it is bad for neither. Timed exclusives are timed exclusives. Someone could look forward to AA game easily as much as a AAA game.
Both companies do it.
Didn't MS have the Fifa Legends shite until a few years back?

are you serious? Do you really put AAA Big frachises games up to 3 years purchased using their dominant position in the same place as with indi or AA games of 3 months? really?? If so then I understand that you are surprised that XBOX users have reason to complain.... LOL

In short, there is nothing but hypocrisy in Jim Ryan's reaction. He asks for PS users what he denies to Xbox users... And clearly the timing of these words has to do with the idea of complicating the approval of the purchase of ACT-Blz.

Last edited:
Take Two with R*'s output is really the only thing that could rival the impact of Activision's stable of IP.
If Take-Two was willing to sell itself or their assets, there is no chance in hell Sony would be able to outbid Microsoft.

Last edited:
because phil is the good guy , always with a smile on his face.
which makes me think , what makes him tick? , I WANT TO SEE THIS GUY GET ANGRY , LOSE HIS COOL
I personally don't think this will make Phil lose his cool in all honesty

If anything Phils next response when the deal goes through is to shrug his shoulders and when people cry about not having COD the next 3 years tells Jimmie..

angry monday night raw GIF by WWE

JackMcGunns

is it ?
so why are we having this conversation then lol

man i hope this deal dont go through just to see some of you losing their minds

Why are we having this conversation? maybe because Phil said that Sony can have it for 3 more years and Ryan got his panties in a bunch.

Man I hope this deal goes through just to watch YOU lose your mind lol.

sainraja

I made a point, and you brought up the Bungie deal as if that disproves it. The Activision and Bungie deals are fundamentally different.
Nah, you said if it were Sony things would be different, that we wouldn't even see 3 years. I showed that Sony is willing to do more than that and cited Bungie as an example. Sure, Activision is a bigger purchase and I doubt Sony could buy them but Sony would have agreed to do similar things to acquire Activision if that is what it took.

MS just can't seem to keep their messaging straight at all, lol. They will say all sorts of contradictory things where you just can't take anything they say seriously.

Last edited:
I personally don't think this will make Phil lose his cool in all honesty

If anything Phils next response when the deal goes through is to shrug his shoulders and when people cry about not having COD the next 3 years tells Jimmie..

angry monday night raw GIF by WWE

Phil wasn't telling Jim they were going to treat COD like Minecraft. He's been caught with his pants down here

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm sure the people upset about COD being Xbox exclusive will be just as upset about GTA being PS exclusive.

If you want to approach it from a mutually assured destruction standpoint, that would be the play. We'll keep our acquisitions IP multi-platform if you do the same. Making these massive IPs exclusive seems like a weird play as they are bolstered by MTX.

KingT731

It came out on the 360 due to the HDD and because the PS2 Slim couldn't use the PS2 HDD.

Those were the remasters everyone got them.

Doesn't change the fact that using Jim's own logic; Final Fantasy has been on the Xbox since 2006 (the same year Call of Duty arrived on the PS3, Big Red One was on the PS2 the year earlier), but people seem to think it's perfectly fine for him to block Final Fantasy games from Xbox.
Everyone did not get the remasters at the same time. 9 for example was on PS4 for 2 years before it was on the Switch/Xbox. That's what I'm talking about...the same deal with 7 (PS1 Classic) and the KH Colllections on PS3 as well as FF12 Zodiac Age, Final Fantasy X/X-2 Collection that didn't go to Switch/Xbox until 2019.

Top Bottom