• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

Punished Miku

Gold Member
jimbo putting his dick on the table

Mad Men Copywriting GIF
I don't see it. He's basically just confirmed everything Phil already said. Only difference is he's bitching and calling it "inadequate." That's literally all that's happened. MS isn't lying to anyone in the middle of a large acquisition reviewed by governments around the world. People here just can't read.

If Phil Spencer is willing to lie about this, I wonder if he’s willing to lie about the long-term plan for Gamepass subscription costs.
Everyone understands that GamePass will not remain $15/month forever. All Microsoft has to do is prove that any price increase is justified by the amount of games/content that is offered. I think buying Activision is a big step in that.

anthony2690

Banned
Xbox had "high quality" final fantasy games for 14 years, then Sony paid to make FF7 Remake exclusive to playstation.

Xbox also had Spiderman games for 16 years till again Sony paid to keep them only on their platform.

Xbox also had high quality street fighter titles for 12 years and again you paid to keep it from Xbox.

I could probably go on and on, but it just comes across as a bit silly.

It kinda goes both ways Mr Ryan, you're happy to take from others, but cry when it happens to you.

I don't think COD is all that important or as big as it use to be either, as destiny 2, apex legends, R6 Siege all have more players than any mainline cod game currently.

& I think Sony could make their own title to rival it.

Because cutting off their largest consumer base dramatically limits the budget for the next franchise installment. It's such a simple calculus I can't believe you even asked that question.
They'll be owned by Microsoft money ain't gonna be an issue. Also Microsoft will just let them do what they've been doing just like Bethesda. It will also attract PS over to Xbox or PC COD is bigger than the platforms its on.

Jigga117

Shots fired

lilreese.gif
I’m sorry 🤣 but how is this some shots fired on a contradicting stance. I mean are we really acting like the same tactics by Sony wasn’t done with third party companies to lock games and delay DLC From other platforms but MS is buying the company and he is whining about why won’t you keep your games on our console? I mean can we go ahead and get an official release of God of War on the Series S/X?

geary

what Jim is big mad over is "Last week, Xbox revealed that it had "provided a signed agreement to Sony to guarantee Call of Duty on PlayStation, with feature and content parity, for at least several more years" beyond Sony's existing contract with Activision. Xbox said this offer "goes well beyond typical gaming industry agreements."
Several = more than two but not many. That's the definition, and 3 more years additional years after current contract is in that definition.

vj27

Banned
What is Jim giving Phil in exchange for keeping COD on their competing system for three extra years beyond the prior agreement? What has Jim given in return for keeping Minecraft on the platform? What has Jim given back for Phil honoring the exclusivity agreements in place with studios they acquired? Corporations break contracts all the time but Phil has fulfilled every one and intends to not just fulfill this current contract but allow Jim to continue having COD for three years beyond that.

Seems like charity from Microsoft and Jimbo seems to think he's entitled to it.
Oh my god this is spitting facts. Literally the first thing that came to mind. Like damn does Jimbo just want Xbox to produce all their games while PlayStation goes around money hatting games to stay off Xbox/gamepass, while MS has to leave all of their most popular IP’s on Sony’s console??? An we can’t even get fucking final fantasy… but deathloop an cod an etc contracts have to be beyond honored… bruh

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I’m sorry 🤣 but how is this some shots fired on a contradicting stance. I mean are we really acting like the same tactics by Sony wasn’t done with third party companies to lock games and delay DLC From other platforms but MS is buying the company and he is whining about why won’t you keep your games on our console? I mean can we go ahead and get an official release of God of War on the Series S/X?
I dont understand how people cant differentiate between buying a whole ass publisher and buying a few timed. third party exclusives.

Darsxx82

What is Jim giving Phil in exchange for keeping COD on their competing system for three extra years beyond the prior agreement? What has Jim given in return for keeping Minecraft on the platform? What has Jim given back for Phil honoring the exclusivity agreements in place with studios they acquired? Corporations break contracts all the time but Phil has fulfilled every one and intends to not just fulfill this current contract but allow Jim to continue having COD for three years beyond that.

Seems like charity from Microsoft and Jimbo seems to think he's entitled to it.
Exactly

Jim is complaining when Phil does more for Playstation users than he would, AND DOES, for Xbox users whom he, using its dominant position in the console market, hasn't stopped pestering for 8 years with AAA Third franchises already well established on XBOX as well as COD on PS.

What's more, it's funny to see that he complains about the possibility that COD on Xbox becomes better than on PlayStation when that's what he has done these 8 years paying for extras, DLCs and even more optimized versions on PS consoles than on XBOX.

It's called hypocrisy and arrogance.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I never understood the opposing arguments. If I buy a home that had tenants living in it, I am entitled to evict them or keep them, but that is my choice. Why should Microsoft be forced to continue give concessions to Sony after purchasing Activision?
Well it depends where you own the home. Some jurisdictions give rights to the renter allowing them to remain in the property and even dictate what you can charge them in rent.

Spyxos

Gold Member
This is exactly why anti-competition laws are in place. With this information coming to light, the U.K. are increasingly unlikely to approve the deal.
I don't understand anything about acquisitions. Does it really look so bad? What happens if Uk is against it? Is Xbox brand then banned in Uk only?

jorgejjvr

Once again, Phil Spencer caught speaking out both sides of his mouth. His rhetoric sounds very consumer friendly, but he says different things behind closed doors.
Microsoft are taking games away from gamers. To date. Sony have not done that. Those who cheer on the big Microsoft acquisitions are blind fanboys who don’t really care about gaming as a whole.
If Sony start doing that shit too, they’ll get the same crap from me as wellZ
Lol Sony is the main platform that takes away games from gamers

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Doesn't matter.
Sony threw a punch and MS replied with a spinning pile driver.
Yep. I couldnt believe Jimbo was going out there snatching up timed exclusives thinking he could outbit a $3 TRILLION company with his mere $100 billion parent company.

Jimbo went out and got Deathloop, and Phil was like Bitch, I just bought the airline.

Shouldve spent that timed exclusive money on giving internal studios more men so they could release games faster.

NickFire

I dont understand how people cant differentiate between buying a whole ass publisher and buying a few timed. third party exclusives.
Reasonable people understand the differences just fine. People who feel things moving when MS buys a publisher cannot though.

Fredrik

Microsoft are taking games away from gamers. To date. Sony have not done that.
They’re both doing it. And Sony has bought several multiplat studios which has only released games on Playstation afterwards and they pay for exclusivity all the time and even have multi-year deals without any solid info when or if they’ll end, they’re literally the industry experts at this, Jim even managed to take away MS 1st party studio games lol

Top Bottom