• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Technical Issues

schaft0620

Round-up of some of the Pokémon Scarlet and Violet criticism:​

Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet were released this week and the final product is inconsistent with games published by The Pokémon Company and Nintendo. It is for sure, the worst-looking game published by both on the Switch.

Impotaku

To be fair the mainline pokemon games have always been janky shit right from the very first one on gameboy, i kept up till the DS era then dropped them all as by then i was tired of the series the only ones that have managed to win me back are some of the spinoffs like the most recent snap but for mainline no thanks. The amount of glitch memes that have spawned from the most recent shitfest have been amusing though.

But why would they even make an effort at gamefreak when the fans blindly buy each release regardless of quality they have already been sent the message that no matter how shit the state they relase in they will be rewarded regardless. The switch is way more capable than this.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Don't worry, their fans will glady accept the excrement they release. And it will sell alot, so they hardly have any incentive to improve things up. This should come with a clown certificate.

Now I'm gonna wait for the "day one patch" or "Switch can't handle" spam of excuses.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
To be fair the mainline pokemon games have always been janky shit right from the very first one on gameboy, i kept up till the DS era then dropped them all as by then i was tired of the series the only ones that have managed to win me back are some of the spinoffs like the most recent snap but for mainline no thanks. The amount of glitch memes that have spawned from the most recent shitfest have been amusing though.

But why would they even make an effort at gamefreak when the fans blindly buy each release regardless of quality they have already been sent the message that no matter how shit the state they relase in they will be rewarded regardless. The switch is way more capable than this.

Gold and Silver were some of the best looking GB games. Fuck you talking about.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Gold and Silver were some of the best looking GB games. Fuck you talking about.
Movement per tile without diagonals felt pretty janky and archaic compared to the usual smooth, precise platform games and ARPGs on the platform tbh.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Pokémon was full of bugs since day one, still they stopped caring about the game tech and just wanted to put out "more of the same". We need a better evolution of the franchise

Don't worry, their fans will glady accept the excrement they release. And it will sell alot, so they hardly have any incentive to improve things up. This should come with a clown certificate.

Now I'm gonna wait for the "day one patch" or "Switch can't handle" spam of excuses.
Good I hope they never stop buying them. That way the games will never improve and will always have bare minimum effort put into them, which means I get free entertainment for years to come.

I'm glad I stopped at Ruby while I did. These devs are out of touch.
as far as mainlines go yeah. i played Sapphire and it wasn't bad but that's where i fell off.

Heart Gold/Soul Silver were brilliant when it comes to remakes. Actually, I didn't quite mind the Pokemon Yellow remake which is of course Pokemon Let's Go! I had the Pikachu version.

Saber

Gold Member
Nope

Nintendo can't get rid of them because Pokemon is owned by 3 companies: Gamefreak, Nintendo and Creatures Inc

Yup. Gamefreak owns 1/3 of Pokemon, so there isn't much for them to do.
Funny thing is that since they own the IP, I think they can make the schedule and even delay the game if needed. I even believe Nintendo would support that.

But no no no...easy work for easy money. Xmas its on the way.

Last edited:

Paasei

They don’t have to try anyway. That franchise is still so massive that people will get it regardless of issues. This can be said about so many games, meaning it’s even easier for Pokémon.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: RNG
I'm glad I stopped at Ruby while I did. These devs are out of touch.
No need to try to look cool by being an early quitter.

The devs are out of touch now for sure, but they have actually made fantastic games up to the DS era at least. Starting with the 3DS we start seeing some divisive things, and then the Switch games laid bare the non-viability of the "new game every 3 years" model.

A new Pokémon needs at least 4 years and a lot more staff working on it to be on par with technically good games on the Switch.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
i1x4mDh.png

Jinzo Prime

I watched a speedrunner's stream yesterday. The move "Dig" is glitched were the camera cuts back to a previous location for a single frame everytime you use the move.

If you look at the ground, then pan the camera toward the horizon, the mountains will flicker and flash into existence.

Loading into and out of some of the minigames can take upward of 22 seconds, no loading icon, just a black screen.

The framerate in the open area seems to hover around the low 20's, reminding me of Ocarina of Time, which ran at 20 FPS.

They already figured out how to BLJ (backward long jump) in order to get up hills you're not supposed to early game.

This was all within 30 minutes of watching the stream. Game was released in a beta state at best. I've seen playable alpha's more stable.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

The main problem here is the reviews. Gamespot gave this game an 8/10... let that sink in...

IGN to their credit seem to be waiting to give their final verdict which I suspect may be a 5 or 6

This is a 4/10 game at the best for any other franchise in any other era of gaming..

It looks and performs dreadfully and it full of bugs.

These glitches are absolutely unacceptable. Nintendo should not allow GameFreak to release a mainstream Pokemon game this much unpolished. Millions of unsuspecting gamers and parents will still buy this latest Pokemon duos, but I bet they will be more cautious in the future after seeing how poor these two games perform on the Switch. GameFreak is either so out of touch with their Pokemon fans, or they just don't care what the gamers think of their products anymore.

Nydius

The discourse on this topic is awful on social media. Pokemon fans blaming Nintendo and everyone else blaming GameFreak.

There's plenty of blame to go around and both are equally culpable. GameFreak is notoriously awful at polishing and optimizing Pokemon games, as we've seen time and again since the Switch launched. But there is equal merit to the hardware complaints because the Switch is positively ancient tech that has struggled with nearly every release this last year. Even the recent "miracle" ports like Nier and No Man's Sky had to strip out so much visually that they practically look (and run) like late PS3/X360 games.

The bulk of the blame does fall on GameFreak here and no, I don't think they'd do much better with more powerful hardware.
But this situation highlights, once again, that the Switch is 6 year old tablet tech that was already outdated when it launched.

hussar16

The main problem here is the reviews. Gamespot gave this game an 8/10... let that sink in...

IGN to their credit seem to be waiting to give their final verdict which I suspect may be a 5 or 6

This is a 4/10 game at the best for any other franchise in any other era of gaming..

It looks and performs dreadfully and it full of bugs.
After playing the game it's not an open world game at all. There is so many mountains dozen of closed off roads you can not get into blocked by mountains etc. Its basicly a 3ds game with a camera. I get it it's for kids but don't tout open world then make the game as linear as the other ones

The discourse on this topic is awful on social media. Pokemon fans blaming Nintendo and everyone else blaming GameFreak.

There's plenty of blame to go around and both are equally culpable. GameFreak is notoriously awful at polishing and optimizing Pokemon games, as we've seen time and again since the Switch launched. But there is equal merit to the hardware complaints because the Switch is positively ancient tech that has struggled with nearly every release this last year. Even the recent "miracle" ports like Nier and No Man's Sky had to strip out so much visually that they practically look (and run) like late PS3/X360 games.

The bulk of the blame does fall on GameFreak here and no, I don't think they'd do much better with more powerful hardware.
But this situation highlights, once again, that the Switch is 6 year old tablet tech that was already outdated when it launched.
The Switch was absolutely NOT “outdated when it launched”. It may have been outdated by console standards but it was a handheld limited by the components available at the time and the power budget necessary fir it to have a reasonable battery life. Mario and Zelda running well in 2017 was impressive then.

Its only recently that its really started to struggle (last two years) with what gamers sort of expect for performance.

K' Dash

My last Pokémon game was X, before that it was Red.

I think I’ll give it a few more years for them to get their shit together.

Last edited:

The switch can run 8th gen games(yes, with the 30fps handicap and a little visual downgrade but still). This game looks like it can run on the Wii...

Last edited:

peronmls

No need to try to look cool by being an early quitter.

The devs are out of touch now for sure, but they have actually made fantastic games up to the DS era at least. Starting with the 3DS we start seeing some divisive things, and then the Switch games laid bare the non-viability of the "new game every 3 years" model.

A new Pokémon needs at least 4 years and a lot more staff working on it to be on par with technically good games on the Switch.
I’m not cool but you are a gaslighter. Just think ahead. Too many Pokémon. Not a lot of inspiration. Pain in the ass to collect and trade all Pokémon. Can’t “catch ‘em all anymore. More evolutions… That’s my reason for not playing anymore. I don’t hate Pokémon. I dislike all it is now.

Saiyan-Rox

Game freak have been out of touch for years now they have a free pass to do whatever they want cause it makes money.

But I don't think they've messed up this badly before?

I'd also love to know why giving us the option of a hard mode is too much for them to do also.

FStubbs

The game is a technical mess but fun so far. Though I feel like it could've run properly even on a Vita if optimized properly.

It’s immensely enjoyable but it runs like shit, but I don’t think a Pokémon game hasn’t run like shit since the 90’s. Still, I’ll take the janky, sparse open world with barely discernible Pokémon over the boring corridor, no exploration formula of the last few generations.

Last edited:

Killer8

Gamefreak need to fire their technical team and start over on a modern engine. Embarassing stuff for a multi-billion dollar company.

Top Bottom