• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

johnsmith

remember me
Ok, I need some help. My 5 year old finally convinced us to let him buy a the Pikachu Libre trainer kit even though he can't read yet. He is totally obsessed now and doing way better at learning the cards and playing then I would have imagined.

I want to get a better playmat that won't rip since the one in the set is paper and looks like it will tear in another few uses. I see some $25+ mats that don't have the rules/markings on them for the game, but I was really hoping for something like the play zone one in the trainer kit. Does anything like that exists?

I also want to get him some kind of storage case since this is going to balloon up really fast. Are card books the best bet? Maybe deck boxes? As long as it is pokemon themed and not super expensive I am open to ideas.

And finally, what packs/decks should he be looking at next? He doesn't really understand the more complex moves or trainer cards yet so I was hoping there were certain sets that are more basic like the trainer kit is.

Edit: Oh I saw those Sun & Moon decks at my Walmart this morning... I didn't know they weren't supposed to be out yet.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Most playmats don't have the play zones laid out unless you get a custom one made, but you could get something like this. $20 isn't bad, and it's 2 players.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-TCG...137975?hash=item33c57567f7:g:NFEAAOSwJ7RYUJiJ

For storage, the cheapest option is a cardboard box from any gamestore for a couple of bucks, and a cheap .99 cent binder and some card holder sheets from a game stop or walmart for his rare and favorite cards. If you can find them you can also get a mini binder that comes with a pack for $5 like this http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/236736.

As for what to buy next, well I assume you're just going to be playing at home, so honestly just buy whatever makes him happy. Theme decks will ensure you know what you're getting and are all pretty simple to play. Boosters are more fun to open though. The Keldeo vs Rayquaza battle arena decks are also really good, but might be a little complex for him. They're a step up from theme decks, but not as complex as actual competitive decks. But they come with 2 decks that are pretty balanced against each other, with way better cards than the theme decks.

If he was older and you guys were looking to get into competitive play I would say to stick to singles only, as you'll never get the cards necessary to build any decent deck just relying on booster packs, but even with older kids they just love opening boosters too much. For the same $4 you can get a booster and get garbage, or buy a top tier card like Yveltal EX, and kids will prefer the booster every time.

Hey. Just got back from a Pokemon Sun/Moon event. Got a promo box and lots of packs. Due to crap draws I did lose 2 matches but was great overall. Got roughly 100 Sun/Moon cards in total and had some good pulls!
wddApYs.jpg

If you wanna know about any of the new cards I mean guy have, I can post pics and stuff.

I also went to a pre-release event today. It's the first time I've ever played the game in real-life. It was a lot of fun, and I got some good cards.

Lks0DoQ.jpg

I played 4 games, and won 3 of them, so I was quite pleased.

tempted to buy a couple of fire starter decks to make a passimian deck. Looks like it could actually be really good.

I like Passimian but it has problems. It only does 10 damage and then 30 more for each Passimian on your bench. So if you've prize 1 or 2(even 3) of them, this can limit your deck pretty badly. However, I think with Skyfield and Regirock EX, you can do some really good extra damage.

Here's the event of the promo box and cards I got (shaky cam warning)

johnsmith

remember me
Got back from a prerelease. Yeah that sucked. Don't see myself ever going to another one.

Some lucky guy got 2 Decidueye GX, I got all junk.

Hello thread!

I've hopped in here hoping to find someone to trade some promos with.

I have a full set of 8 generations Pikachu Stamp Reverse Holo cards, and was hoping someone in the US is after these, and would do a straight swap for the same cards, but with the Toys R Us stamp?

RoadDogg

So my son has survived week 2 of pokemon tcg fever. We now own a pikachu and mewtwo deck to give him some variety. The trainer cards are too complacted outside of draw more cards and heal. Weaknesses are proving difficult for him to account for too. Double type energy decks are frustrating him the most at the moment. He hates having only grass energy in his hand but wanted to play his pikachu.

So my thought at the moment is to buy bulk energy cards and some bulk pokemon. He doesnt really care of they are useful or rare yet, just that they are pokemon and english. I saw a site called pokeorder that has some bulk packs but I wasnt sure if anyone knew of better sources? Shipping seems to be nearly 20% of the cost of what I was going to buy so I was hoping to find something better. The options on Amazon seem to be full of duplicates and bootlegs.

fenners

So my thought at the moment is to buy bulk energy cards and some bulk pokemon. He doesnt really care of they are useful or rare yet, just that they are pokemon and english. I saw a site called pokeorder that has some bulk packs but I wasnt sure if anyone knew of better sources? Shipping seems to be nearly 20% of the cost of what I was going to buy so I was hoping to find something better. The options on Amazon seem to be full of duplicates and bootlegs.

CoolStuffInc are utterly reputable, been in business a long time and do 'health packs'. I've ordered a ton of boardgames through them over the years. No clue if the prices are good though but you'll get genuine cards.

johnsmith

remember me
So my son has survived week 2 of pokemon tcg fever. We now own a pikachu and mewtwo deck to give him some variety. The trainer cards are too complacted outside of draw more cards and heal. Weaknesses are proving difficult for him to account for too. Double type energy decks are frustrating him the most at the moment. He hates having only grass energy in his hand but wanted to play his pikachu.

Search for local card shops and call and ask them if they sell pokemon singles. Some card shops will have big boxes of common cards that you can search through and buy for pretty cheap.

RoadDogg

Thanks for the replys. I found a possible store near my office but no idea if they are open during the week since they dont have a website to check hours on. I will try and stop by next week and see.

Hopefully they have some ok priced stuff to get him started. If I cam get him energy and a bunch of pokemon he can just get packs afterwards and always be able to make a deck for any pokemon he decides he likes that day.

Coolstuff seems like a good option too but free shipping starts at $100 and I am only going to spend $50ish

fenners

Coolstuff seems like a good option too but free shipping starts at $100 and I am only going to spend $50ish

Did you price out shipping with an order? It's usually reasonable for small box orders, like $5.99 or so. If there's somewhere local, that's always good too ;)

We've actually got a "pokemaniacs" store in our mall.

Finally completed all of XY Evolutions Standard set! The Holo Reverse set is almost done.

Just as a heads up, the Sun and Moon packs come out in 4 days!

teeny

Finally completed all of XY Evolutions Standard set! The Holo Reverse set is almost done.

Just as a heads up, the Sun and Moon packs come out in 4 days!

Does that include full arts? Impressive!

I'll hopefully manage to pick up the last few I need, but I'm not going to worry about the full arts or reverse holos, to preserve my sanity. Looking forward to Sun & Moon.

Does that include full arts? Impressive!

I'll hopefully manage to pick up the last few I need, but I'm not going to worry about the full arts or reverse holos, to preserve my sanity. Looking forward to Sun & Moon.

Yep. I ended up buying the last two I needed which were Charizard EX and that bloody damn Nidoking. But I am still up for trades for holo reverse cards.

Just as a heads up:
Ancient Origins is now out of print. So if you want some of those cards like Hoopa EX, you'll have to start collecting those packs.

teeny

Yep. I ended up buying the last two I needed which were Charizard EX and that bloody damn Nidoking. But I am still up for trades for holo reverse cards.

Just as a heads up:
Ancient Origins is now out of print. So if you want some of those cards like Hoopa EX, you'll have to start collecting those packs.

Its weird how some of the more normal cards are so elusive. I don't think I ever would have gotten Hitmonchan from a booster.

I'll let you know if I get any more reverse holos, but I've scaled back a bit on Evolutions in preparation for Sun & Moon :p

teeny

So my local WHSmith put their Sun & Moon boosters out early, picked up 5 packs. Didn't get any amazing pulls, unfortunately, but the art work is really good on the cards. The reverse holos are amazing, too, I really like the pattern.

Something I've noticed, the normal holo rares don't appear to be very shiny and don't really have a pattern in the illustration background either. It's like a very faint sheen - I think I prefer the Evolutions holos to be honest. I also don't like the fact the expansion icon and card number have shifted to the left.

I'm in a bit of a bind about how to organise my cards as well. I have a full set of "normal" Evolutions cards which I keep in a binder in set order. I'll likely do the same for Sun & Moon. Weird cards (EX, GX, BREAK, Promos, Full Arts) go at the back. However, I have a bunch of random Steam Siege and earlier cards I will never get round to completing and I don't want gaps in the pages - and I don't want to have to shift them every time I get a new card.

How do collectors usually display their stuff? I'm thinking of keeping all of the weird cards at the back but reorder everything else by Energy Type and then by Pokedex Number. Items, Supporters, Stadiums and Energy can go alphabetical in another binder so I can easily find what I am looking for. Useful duplicates can go in one of those long cardboard boxes separated in the same way by tabbed cards.

My OCDish nature baulks at the idea of displaying things out of order, but it might have to be the way forward. Ultimately, it would be cool to have different coloured binders for the different energy types and have a whole shelf of the things.

MacAttack

My local Walmart put out the Sun & Moon stuff a day early. Out of 9 packs opened, we only scored one hyper rare* and no other rares:

The energy card in every pack is nice. One pack had 3 energy; one strong + two DCE (one holo).

*edit: bought 5 more packs today and pulled another hyper-rare (see picture above)

*edit 2: picked up the a 3 pack blister for the kids and they pulled a Espeon Hyper-rare. Thats 3 hyper-rare in 18 packs.

I supply teach kids and couldn't believe pokemon cards were still a thing. One kid even bought a damn binder but his collection was pathetic.

Another kid at recess was showing off Yugioh cards.

I feel like bringing Ancient Mew or my Nidoqueen to impress them. I used to have a Machamp but I traded it :( Apparently it was very valuable.

N.Domixis

Banned
ANy trust worty amazon sellers of booster boxes? Don't want to but repackaged booster boxes. Also Toys R US will be having a promo.

iVyWJR57U9HpUZ4f8ybqGXL8E68dbjliVLGk8dh1CRHZLLt3VI_U5boYmCsiqLxUI4z8Lun9R7_6hVUma9cwzNVb4aetapgn7tg5ZuLsQLIkRKebrH-ePnagXkF0Vw53fUBNz-K7Vl4go7qC6Io8EdY=s0-d-e1-ft

johnsmith

remember me
Looking at these pulls for sun moon people are posting I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret buying 2 booster boxes. Really need to stop doing this.

teeny

Waterstones had them out! 4 more boosters and no decent pulls. Ugh, how disappointing!

That's it for me until pay day, then I might pick up a booster box, who knows.

I came across a Night March deck in PTCGO last night and... well, I was unprepared. Managed to stall the opponent slightly by using Karen, but not for long.

JoeM86

Went to a special media event that TPCi held for the Sun & Moon set on Wednesday.

Everyone there pulled GXs except me. Including the theme deck ones, I now have 4 Primarina cards...

I'm sad.

Am I the only one that thinks the regular GXs look better than the full arts and rainbow rares.

Na I can see that. They're more dynamic

teeny

Ugh, feels bad when your PTCGO pulls are way better than your IRL ones.

Shush, I know you're not meant to open boosters on PTCGO :p

RoadDogg

Well the local store by my office was a bust. They had a small box of loose cards for $0.10 to $1.00 but no bulk common things. It is more or less just a hole in the wapl where people go to play I guess. I found a larger comic book store 30 min away we will try to hit up some weekend. Local craigslist is a ghost town too. I never would have guessed it was this hard to get used pokemon cards considering how many years it has beem out for.

Edit: I was able to get a playmat laminated for a couple bucks though. So that was nice at least.

N.Domixis

Banned
Here is what I got after buying the 3 pack combo promo and a couple single packs. Seems holos are more comon this time. Wish it was like this for the x and y evolutions set. Fucking ridiculous they were rarer than the ultra rares for me.

Also the toys r us promo. Muhahah These are mine won't be trading or selling.

Well the local store by my office was a bust. They had a small box of loose cards for $0.10 to $1.00 but no bulk common things. It is more or less just a hole in the wapl where people go to play I guess. I found a larger comic book store 30 min away we will try to hit up some weekend. Local craigslist is a ghost town too. I never would have guessed it was this hard to get used pokemon cards considering how many years it has beem out for.

Edit: I was able to get a playmat laminated for a couple bucks though. So that was nice at least.

Hi I sent you a PM regarding some bulk energy/common/uncommon cards if you're interested.

For others looking for trades to complete sets, is there a specific place where you're posting haves/wants. My daughter and I have tons of Evolutions but also have Ancient Origins and onward.

Also have tons of unused online codes for trade/sell as well if anyone is interested in those.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Had a family mini emergency and couldn't go to the TRU thing with my son. Glad I didn't tell him about it ahead of time :/

Anybody have any extras?

N.Domixis

Banned
They usually have extras afterwards. I usually walk in later to see if they do.

Or sometimes they have extras an are given away at the next promo. Happened to me with the charmander promos. Also what do I do with old codes? I have around 200 unused codes.

teeny

Oh man I finally get new packs.

I get 2 more Gumshoos GX.

C'moooooon! :mad:

Hahaha, it's always the way. Though I would have been happy just to get a GX at all.

Hi I sent you a PM regarding some bulk energy/common/uncommon cards if you're interested.

For others looking for trades to complete sets, is there a specific place where you're posting haves/wants. My daughter and I have tons of Evolutions but also have Ancient Origins and onward.

Also have tons of unused online codes for trade/sell as well if anyone is interested in those.

I've scouted around online. There is a PTCG trade subreddit which is mostly full of NA requests. I did sign up to a card trading site but had no success there. I have traded with BumblebeeCody on here a couple of times - might be worth writing up a Google Docs spreadsheet or something and posting a link to it. There might also be some local Facebook groups (though my own has been really limited).

It's kind of weird, I expected there to be quite a big online trading presence through a popular site or something. Though a lot of people are buying booster boxes and trading IRL I guess.

johnsmith

remember me
Decided to go for a Lurantis GX deck but I can't decide what to pair it with. I've seen Vileplume and Garbordor lists online. And not sure about other attackers. The previously overlooked Trevenant EX might be a good option.

And oh hey, I decide to test it out online and everybody is playing volcanion or glaceon ex. Fun.

Busaiku

So I pulled a Full Art Ultra Ball.
My best pull ever, it is incredible.

I'm going for a complete set, so I'm not selling it, but it is so tempting.

I got 3 boxes in total so far, and it seems like 6/7 Ultra/Secret/Rainbow (total) is the norm, 6 being super unlucky.
1 Full Art Trainer a box, Rainbow not guaranteed.
Surprisingly only got 1 duplicate among the Ultra/Secret/Rainbow. Everyone else got more duplicates, sometimes even in the same box.

I bought 12 packs a couple of days ago, but the best thing I pulled was a Gumshoos GX.

Got a booster box turning up in the next couple of days or so though. I can't wait.

So I pulled a Full Art Ultra Ball.
My best pull ever, it is incredible.

I'm going for a complete set, so I'm not selling it, but it is so tempting.

I got 3 boxes in total so far, and it seems like 6/7 Ultra/Secret/Rainbow (total) is the norm, 6 being super unlucky.
1 Full Art Trainer a box, Rainbow not guaranteed.
Surprisingly only got 1 duplicate among the Ultra/Secret/Rainbow. Everyone else got more duplicates, sometimes even in the same box.

I knew the Ultra Ball was super rare but I didn't know they want $130 for it. That's insane!

I bought 4 packs 2 days ago and got a Secret Rare Metal Energy. That is going for $35 right now. Looks like this is going to be the set for rich Pokemon collectors.

Edit: Pulled the prices from CoolStuffInc so you can get it a little cheaper from ebay but still very expensive

Busaiku

A lot of prices are still high cause it's still relatively new, but stuff like Ultra Ball, the Energy, and Switch will probably stay pretty consistent.

Top Bottom