• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

Card Boy

Banned
I'm think of getting him a theme to get stared. Is one as good as another or would is be better for a begginer or just better overall? He's 8, If that helps.

I would honestly get this

iYPZHQM.jpg

• Includes two 30-card decks, each with a specially selected foil card
  • Comes with two guided game booklets to teach you how to play-card by card, step by step!
  • You will also get a 2-player playmat with great game tips and rules on the reverse side
  • Also comes with damage counters, Special Condition markers, and a game coin with a cool Pokemon design
  • You will also find an illustrated deck box to keep your new cards in and a code card for the Pokemon TCG Online
It can be used as a single theme deck for for two half decks of 30 cards for 2 players.

N.Domixis

Banned
I got the 20th anniversary box at Target yesterday for 30 bucks. They were all in the wrong spot. But I'm afraid to open it because I feel like it will be worth alot in a couple years.

Early prints of Evolutions card were found at a "French flea market or something".
Cq36HtEWcAAMsQ-.jpg
So I was right, they're going to look more like the Gym Heroes design than Base Set. It's fine really, Base Set's design wasted a lot of space at the bottom.
Apparently there's video of them coming soon too. I guess even the TCG has leaks now.

Are these the cards that were like the originals reprinted?
I guess they are saw a video. All these current EX, megas, full art, sideways art, cgi OG starters, full hollows, gold bordered shit look awful. I wish we had the original art for the three OG starters.

Pachimari

Bought the Yveltal theme pack, and is quickly saving up for the Sylveon theme pack. When are these theme packs rotating from the store?

Also, I noticed I have 390 different cards and I didn't spend a penny.

Are these the cards that were like the originals reprinted?
I guess they are saw a video. All these current EX, megas, full art, sideways art, cgi OG starters, full hollows, gold bordered shit look awful. I wish we had the original art for the three OG starters.
There's an incomplete list going around right now based on that video, but it's incredibly likely that at least the Squirtle and Charmander lines are getting a reprint.
?s are ones I added, non-?s are from the leak. Didn't bother with trainers and energies.
1/108 VenusaurEX
2/108 MegaVenusaurEX
3/108 Caterpie?
4/108 Metapod?
5/108 Weedle
6/108 Kakuna
7/108 Beedrill
8/108 Tangela
9/108 Charmander?
10/108 Charmeleon?
11/108 Charizard?
12/108 CharizardEX
13/108 MegaCharizardEX (Unknown which one)
14/108 Vulpix?
15/108 Ninetales?
16/108 NinetalesBREAK
17/108 Magmar?
18/108 Squirtle?
19/108 Wartortle?
20/108 Blastoise?
21/108 BlastoiseEX
22/108 MegaBlastoiseEX
23/108 Poliwag
24/108 Poliwhirl?
25/108 Poliwrarth?
26/108 SlowbroEX
27/108 MegaSlowbroEX
28/108 Seel?
29/108 Dewgong?
30/108 Staryu
31/108 Starmie
32/108 StarmieBREAK
33/108 Magikarp
34/108 Gyarados
35/108 Pikachu?
36/108 Raichu?
37/108 Magnemite?
38/108 Magneton?
39/108 Voltorb
40/108 Electrode
41/108 Electabuzz
42/108 Zapdos?
43/108 NidoranM?
44/108 Nidorino?
45/108 Nidoking?
46/108 NidokingBREAK
47/108 Gastly
48/108 Haunter
49/108 Drowzee
50/108 Koffing?
51/108 Jynx?
52/108 MewtwoEX
53/108 Mewtwo?
54/108 Mew? (based on the "lilypad" Mew, seen in Japanese)
55/108 Diglett?
56/108 Dugtrio
57/108 Machop
58/108 Machoke
59/108 Machamp
60/108 MachampBREAK
61/108 Onix
62/108 Pidgey?
63/108 Pidgeotto?
64/108 PidgeotEX
65/108 MegaPidgeotEX
66/108 Rattata
67/108 Raticate?
68/108 Farfetch’d?
69/108 Doduo
70/108 Chansey?
71/108 Porygon
72/108 DragoniteEX
109/108 Charizard?
110/108 Pikachu?
111/108 Surfing Pikachu
The psychics were hard to place because of Mewtwo EX's position. Could easily see Koffing not being there and there being two Mew cards but we do know there isn't a M Mewtwo EX in this set apparently. It seems like, except for Mew and the new EX/Breaks, this set is entirely based on Base Set. Kind of a shame Scyther or Gengar aren't coming back but I guess they wanted to keep it the first set for the anniversary. Bulbasaur line not being there is weird but to be fair, the only thing that line had going for it was Energy Trans. If this didn't release so close to Sun/Moon I could see the Bulbasaur line as blister promos or something.

Anony

trying to complete this deck
i can't believe how well putting up trades is, i have a 100% success rate right now
so far, i've pretty much traded 1:1 same rarity and/or less rarity card with some sort of ability and was able to trade it

so people that say hoarding tradable packs, there's value in opening it

problem now is trying to get the alakazam ex and mega

Pachimari

I actually haven't tried trading yet. I hundreds of cars. Also add me as a friend.

Is it best to have two types of Pokemon in a deck? I can imagine having multiple types will dry out the amount of energy for each.

Also what section is that, where you can see which cards you don't have yet?

Anony

i got a furious fist booster for completing daily login
i got reverse holo electivire and full arts heracross ex

the luck... but it's being rotated out
WHY

In the online game, what is the difference between Standard, Expanded, and Legacy?

Also, other people seem to be asking, but I'm curious too; how do you know which decks/booster packs/etc will be rotated out, and when? I've decided I want to get into the Online TCG, as it's far cheaper than collecting cards in real life (plus I can actually play against other people online).

Pachimari

Some legit questions above that I would like answered. :)

I just bought the Sylveon pack, and it seems pretty great of what I can quickly see. I will have enough time to save up for one more pack before the rotation but I don't know which one I'll go for yet. It'll either be the Xerneas one or something else.

I'm also really liking the Pangoro deck, although the Zygarde is still my favorite.

Pachimari

I only need to win 5 more Versus matches, and then I'll have enough coins to buy the Xerneas deck. And I will have gotten all of the packs that was worth it before the rotation. I assume we can expect a lot of new decks to arrive in two days when they rotate.

I'm just a few games shy of being able to buy three decks. Any suggestions?

The only decks I have are the ones the game gives you, plus Ring of Lightning.

Pachimari

I'm just a few games shy of being able to buy three decks. Any suggestions?

The only decks I have are the ones the game gives you, plus Ring of Lightning.
You need to buy these:

1st: Dark Hammer (Pangoro)
2nd: Enchanted Echo (Sylveon)
3rd: Destruction Rush (Yveltal) or Resilient Life (Xerneas)

Those are being rotated out tomorrow, so you should get them fast.

My favorite deck is actually the Zygarde deck, it is very powerful with two Zygarde that can cause a lot of damage in a rather quick time. Also comes with Lucario and the Snivy line which only needs 1 energy card all the way to the 2nd stage evolution. But this deck won't rotate out, so it can wait.

fenners

You need to buy these:

My favorite deck is actually the Zygarde deck, it is very powerful with two Zygarde that can cause a lot of damage in a rather quick time. Also comes with Lucario and the Snivy line which only needs 1 energy card all the way to the 2nd stage evolution. But this deck won't rotate out, so it can wait.

Dark Hammer/Pangoro was the first physical deck my daughter spent her own money on, and it's been a lot of fun to play against in the physical game, and with in the digital.

Pachimari

Won the last few matches I needed to and bought the Xerneas pack. Now here's to waiting for the rotation tomorrow. Will the new added decks be older decks rotated in, or brand new decks?

You need to buy these:

Many thanks. How do you know which ones are being rotated out, and when?

Pachimari

everything's rotated now
So they removed some decks from the store and didn't add new ones? It makes sense that it works that way really. I don't know why I were expecting some new cards or old ones added (even though those are in the Expanded format).

Been creeping around in the shadows making trades in preparation for this rotation before the value of certain cards skyrocket. Managed to get a second Shaymin EX and a Gold VS Seeker for my old FA N that I never cared about and just had sitting there. Those were the last two things I needed to complete the standard Gardevoir deck:
##Pokémon - 13

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 3 Gardevoir-EX GEN 130
* 2 M Gardevoir-EX GEN 131
* 4 Xerneas STS 81
* 1 M Gardevoir-EX STS 79
* 1 Hoopa-EX AOR 36

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 3 Gardevoir Spirit Link STS 101
* 4 Fairy Garden FAC 100
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Super Rod NVI 95
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 N NVI 92
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 4 Ultra Ball FAC 113

##Energy - 14

* 12 Fairy Energy Energy 9
* 2 Wonder Energy PRC 144

Total Cards - 60
So far I have 9 wins, 3 losses with it. First was a skilled player with a Vaporeon EX deck and I had a terrible hand to start with (Xerneas x2, no Ultra Ball, N resulted in all of my Megas and a Sycamore with two energies), then it was just a generic bad hand and only Shaymin to start with, then it was a Steelix EX deck. If you get the chance to run this be careful of that deck, it's really good. It's not an unwinnable scenario but it's quite difficult.

So they removed some decks from the store and didn't add new ones? It makes sense that it works that way really. I don't know why I were expecting some new cards or old ones added (even though those are in the Expanded format).
It's pretty lame. It honestly makes me want to play less because there are less options for packs I can buy. It's not even a rotation for booster packs. It's a subtraction. They didn't add anything.

So my drunk ass is walking through midtown nyc to grand central from a bar, and I realize I'm walking past the game store I buy my packs from. check when they close, they close at 10:00. check what time it is, it's 9:57. I hustle my butt on over there, buy a couple packs of ancient origins, throw em in my backpack, and fall asleep on the train.

just got home and pulled a full art Kyurem EX. SO excited. my first real full art pull. I don't really count the radiant collection cards. what a gorgeous piece, man. right into a sleeve and into the binder.

So, I said I'd share some pics of my collection if I could, and here they are. We're doing a bit of house clearing, so I was able to get these out of storage temporarily. Excuse the poor quality due to dim lightning at the time I took these.

My complete sets are stored within 3 binders. I collected 1st edition base through Neo Genesis. Here they are in chronological order. Aside from 1st base, I only posted the first page of each set to cut down on the number of pics.

UBck2yH.jpg

Starting off with the granddaddy 1st edition base set. I actually started collecting during the unlimited shadowless release, and as such this is the only set that I didn't pull completely fresh from booster packs.

UYuBlvL.jpg

6nsZjkX.jpg

Unlimited Base (shadowless)

3RGIHwg.jpg

1st edition Jungle

JwvfPRw.jpg

e0oGajk.jpg

1st edition Fossil. I don't know why I didn't save 3 more booster sleeves to complete the cover page. *shrugs*

DXa8Hfg.jpg

oXe5hd9.jpg

1st edition Team Rocket

MC6uofv.jpg

ovsZ5hN.jpg

1st edition Gym Heroes. I included the last page of TR, because I thought it was cool the holo Raichu was the last card, numbered 83/82. I thought I had a rare mistake when I pulled it, but that's just how the set was created.

TUIRnzB.jpg

7DMytbS.jpg

1st edition Gym Challenge. I don't know why I eschewed the cover page altogether. But this was the start of a new binder, so maybe it slipped my mind. I didn't do a cover page for Neo Genesis either.

DV3Qlcs.jpg

1st edition Neo Genesis

EgQMgey.jpg

Sealed booster boxes and early theme decks. I thought I had boxes of the last 3 sets also, but I remembered I gave them away as gifts when my young cousins, nieces, and nephews started getting into the Pokemon TCG.

JeEUcbl.jpg

Numbered promo cards. Sorry you can't see the cards that are sealed. I stopped at promo #23. Only missed #19 which was from Nintendo Power.

k2megYT.jpg

vVjoOPM.jpg

Ignore the 2 Pikachus. They're on the page in back of this one.

ctMbX8p.jpg

My Pikachu collection. These are all the Pikachus I collected at the time. It looks like there are duplicates, but each one is unique. The rarest ones are probably the sealed red-cheeked E3 Pikachu and the 1st edition promo #1 of which a small number of them accidentally got printed along with 1st edition Jungle cards, hence they mistakenly got "1st edition" printed on them before it was corrected. I remember pulling it from my third Jungle pack. Super lucky!

g2GHYHX.jpg

LWvxAdl.jpg

VCMVlmN.jpg

Various promos. The gold-stamped W's were from magazines like The Duelist and Top Deck. Gold-bordered Meowth was from Fruit Roll-ups. The prerelease-stamped cards were ... prerelease promos. Ancient Mew is the coolest Pokemon card ever. Sorry it's sealed.

Pkq3l74.jpg

Jumbo cards

jOaXP5E.jpg

A couple of trainer badges I earned from the local Pokemon league.

c1Wzlok.jpg

Some collector cards I think I got from Burger King. Says they're 23K gold plated.

Xwgf1T0.jpg

Found these Japanese Southern Island sets at Japan Town in San Francisco. Got one of each one they had. Didn't know there were 2 other sets to complete the collection. Supposedly very rare as a sealed set. I just got them because they were Pokemon cards!

JsEv9mA.jpg

The 2 Japanese cards below I got from a trade at the local shop. Didn't know what they were but they looked cool. The card on the right is supposedly super rare and was never released in English. It's called Imakuni's Doduo. Imakuni is supposedly some guy who sings songs for the anime.

But the real treasure is the demo pack up top. I don't even remember where I got it from, but it was one of the earliest items I got when I started collecting. Preferring to keep things sealed when I can (aside from boosters when making sets), I resisted the urge to ever open it. But I was so curious what cards were inside and there was no info to be found online, and no one I knew in person ever heard of it or seen it. Well I guess more of them started surfacing after all these years, because just checking eBay after rediscovering it in my storage, there are several listings. And people are paying upwards of $300 for it! Glad I didn't open it, because it's just some basic cards inside that aren't worth much on their own. But I guess it's rare to find these sealed since understandably most of them have probably been opened, being a demo pack and all.

m93IunQ.jpg

I also have binders and cardboard crates of a bunch of dupes and constructed decks. And other promo cards and collectibles in another misplaced box somewhere. I didn't just collect, but played casually and in tournaments all the time. I eventually transitioned back into Magic the Gathering, my first TCG love long before Pokemon. Fortunately, there were also MtG players transitioning to Pokemon, so we made a bunch of mutually beneficial trades to help each other with the transition.

It's neat seeing my young nieces and nephews getting into the TCG now. I don't buy any for myself anymore, but I'll buy elite trainer boxes and such for their birthdays and get excited vicariously through them as they open them up. =D

Dex Protection finally put their four pocket portfolios up on their website, actually kinda excited to get one and move my cards into it. What do you guys keep your cards in?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Replaying the Gameboy game: When did they add the "first turn can not attack" clause in?

finowns

So, I said I'd share some pics of my collection if I could, and here they are. We're doing a bit of house clearing, so I was able to get these out of storage temporarily. Excuse the poor quality due to dim lightning at the time I took these.

Dang, I was going to come in here and brag about my first edition holographic Charizard.

Replaying the Gameboy game: When did they add the "first turn can not attack" clause in?

Think it was sometime during XY, I don't remember it being there during BW either. I like it though, it definitely adds more strategy with decks that need to use a non-damaging attack on your first turn to set up for the second.

So, how easy is this for a beginner to get into? I've been into Pokemon since the original games, but never really TCG. Is it fun, and would it make a good game to play with my girlfriend whose only exposure to the series is Pokemon Go?

Forkball

Awesome collection George Claw. The only thing I have you beat on is the Japanese Neo Genesis Premium File. Not my pictures but it is this thing:

I remember my grandma invited me over because a home shopping network was having a Pokemon special and she said I could buy something. When this thing popped up, I immediately made my decision. It was about $20 and worth every penny to me since this was before Gold and Silver was even out in the US. I cannot overestimate how shiny this thing is.

Fireblend

Banned
So my gf has been into playing the online card game for a while and I used to play this when I was in school (like the videogame's gen 2 years), so I suggested buying a couple of theme decks and playing with those. Where should I look for them, and are there any tips I can follow to make sure the ones I buy are relatively balanced and fun to play?

Pachimari

So, how easy is this for a beginner to get into? I've been into Pokemon since the original games, but never really TCG. Is it fun, and would it make a good game to play with my girlfriend whose only exposure to the series is Pokemon Go?

It's very easy to get into, and still very basic even after you have learned how to play it. Both you and your girlfriend will be able to play against each other in a very short time. Just follow the tutorial in the Online digital game, and you'll be set for both that, and the physical version.

Anybody playing the online game? I just started and saved up enough coins to buy a deck. Any tips on which I should pick? Or should I use the coins to buy boosters? Seems like a deck is the better deal.

Well, I just discovered that a couple of the cards I've had since I was in middle school (Suiciune gold star, Mudkip gold star) might be worth anywhere from 50-100 dollars depending on their condition.

Well I'll be. I started a new binder with my "new" collection, I ordered a DEX Protect four pocket portfolio that's absolutely GORGEOUS, but I think those two have earned a spot amongst the newer cards. Might also throw my shadowless pidgeotto in there.

George Claw, that's a beautiful collection. Hard to see the exact quality of the cards, but man, I would be so tempted to get them all PSA graded. I hope you have those insured or at least stored securely. It'd be a tragedy to lose them.

So the Japanese equivalent of Evolutions is out and wow I was wrong up there. Never thought they'd skip the Blastoise line like that.

Anyways, as a joke and because steamrolling everyone with a Gardevoir deck isn't that fun for more than a few days, I'm going to run Haymaker when the set comes out.
Pokémon - 12
* 4 Farfetch'd EVO 68
* 4 Hitmonchan EVO 62
* 4 Electabuzz EVO 41

Trainer Cards - 26

* 2 Eco Arm AOR 71
* 3 Lysandre AOR 78
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 Team Flare Grunt GEN 73
* 4 Crushing Hammer GEN 60
* 4 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 4 Tierno PHF 107
* 2 Ultra Ball FAC 113

Energy - 22
* 4 Double Colorless Energy EVO 100
* 8 Lightning Energy EVO 94
* 10 Fighting Energy EVO 96

Total Cards - 60
Can't exactly get it right 100% but close enough. Lack of Computer Search, Item Finder, Gust of Wind, (Super) Energy Removal, and Bill really hurt it, but Fighting Fury Belt is so much better than PlusPower and might actually let it stand a chance. This thing is not going to be able to compete against EXes but it should be funny.

I'm really into pretty much all the full arts in Evolutions, so I'm considering buying a box, but man it's hard to justify that.

I've definitely spent well over 100 bucks on pokemon cards, but doing it all at the same time feels weird.

Card Boy

Banned
I found a Steam Siege Elite Trainers and Mythical Pokemon Collection Arceus box for really cheap here locally. I have to wait till next week to pick it up as i cheaped out on postage.

Top Bottom