• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Special Senate election in Alabama a 6pt race between Roy Moore and Doug Jones

https://ddhq.io/2017/09/29/alabama-senate-special-election-poll/

Immediately after the runoff Tuesday, we commissioned Opinion Savvy to conduct a poll of the upcoming special U.S. Senate general election in Alabama. Opinion Savvy contacted 590 voters through landline and mobile devices on September 27th and 28th.

The horserace

Republican Roy Moore: 50.2%

Democrat Doug Jones: 44.5%

Moore boasts a huge lead among evangelical voters, 67.8% to 28%, while Jones boasts an even larger lead among non-evangelicals, 69.7% to 26.7%. Among African-American voters, Moore peels off 24.8% to Jones’ 70.9%, while among white voters, Jones has a surprising 36.1% to Moore’s 58.5%.

Presidential Job Approval

Strongly/somewhat approve: 54.6%

Strongly/somewhat disapprove: 42.9%

Is it really this close?

Always the question to ask when a poll is released, and one we asked ourselves as soon as we received the results. While the state of Alabama has not elected a Democratic U.S. Senator since Richard Shelby (who converted to a Republican after the 1994 midterm), Roy Moore has a general election record we can look at, his narrow win in 2012 to become Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court:

MOORE_12_Gen-280x300.png

Moore underperformed Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney by eighteen points, losing Madison and Mobile counties and winning on the strengths of Republican rural pockets. It is entirely possible that he has a closer contest than anticipated this year as well: it’s a special election, it’s in December, and Democrats have overperformed in every Congressional special election this year.

But, it is Alabama, and Moore has a dedicated base of evangelical voters that carried him through two rounds of primaries and won’t abandon him over the next eleven weeks. The President has reiterated he will campaign for Moore if needed (while campaigning for his rival, incumbent Senator Luther Strange), and he remains a popular figure in the state.

There's no way Jones has a shot, hopefully the DNC doesn't waste money on this race.

We have a moral obligation to stop Moore. He's not Karen Handel. He's actually evil. Jones needs to make this like the 2015 Louisiana Governor's race.

Worth throwing a few thousand $ here.

lolno

Let's not even pretend this will even remotely be a pick up for the Democrats. The AL is like one of the reddest states in the US.

HylianTom

Banned
Even if Dems lose this race
(narrator: "They will")
, I'd love to see Democrats handcuff Roy Moore to every Republican seeking office next year.

Republicans have mastered the art of finding exploitable statements made by oddball, waaaaay left-field Democrats and using them to smear other Democrats running for office; I'd love to see Democrats return the favor sometime.

of course the R will probably win but we've already got posts in here missing the point that most are watching at how close it will be. a close race would be a great sign for democrats

Sephzilla

it's kind of nuts that it's even this close considering it's Alabama. But i have a hard time believing there's a chance of a blue win

Ignore the race please DNC and all other groups, and let Jones die a peaceful death.

And don't forget this famous movie line, "Forget about it Jake...It's Alabama."

of course the R will probably win but we've already got posts in here missing the point that most are watching at how close it will be. a close race would be a great sign for democrats

Yeah, I highly doubt Jones can win but it'll be interesting to see how fed up Alabama voters are of Trump's inability to accomplish his goals and stay off twitter. From what I've seen (although I haven't checked in a while), republican support for Trump is slowly sliding away.

Ogodei

There’s no way Jones has a shot, hopefully the DNC doesn’t waste money on this race.

It's DSCC, first of all (this is important because then people blame Tom Perez for all sorts of stuff that's way outside his wheelhouse)

Second, in those margins he probably does have a shot, but only if DSCC just donates him money while staying out of the race. Nationalizing it will lose the race, let it be a debate among Alabamans about the merits of sending State Embarrassment Roy Moore to be one of their voices in the Senate.

This is probably not winnable but making this race as high profile as possible, and making every other Republican on record supporting this lunatic, will be worth it next year elsewhere.

mnannola

Only way a Dem wins is if Roy has some monster, monster skeletons in his closet that come out. Even then I'm not even sure if it matters anymore.

Only way a Dem wins is if Roy has some monster, monster skeletons in his closet that come out. Even then I'm not even sure if it matters anymore.
He would have to say is hates white people, loves BLM, eat a live baby on national television and then set a bible wrapped in an American flag on fire and put out the fire with his piss.

Even then Jones will probably still lose because he has a D after his name.

I don't like getting my hopes up about this or anything, but the negativity in here makes me sad. Doug Jones is a great person and would be a positive step in the right direction for this state. Roy Moore has the Evangelical vote locked down but that's it.

Jones would likely be railroaded eventually and wrongfully sent to prison like Don Siegelman though so maybe he shouldn't win

(For context, we elected a Democrat as governor not too long ago, it's not an entirely crazy notion, especially with Roy Moore's volatility)

New York Times has a disturbing article on how Bannon/Mercer and co want more such "anti-establishment " candidates.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/us/politics/steve-bannon-robert-rebekah-mercer-alliance.html

WASHINGTON — Stephen K. Bannon and two of his longtime benefactors are putting together a political coalition designed to ensure that the victory of a Republican insurgent in the Alabama Senate primary this week was just the beginning of the surprises that await the party establishment.

Mr. Bannon brings to the effort the political and promotional skills he showed as President Trump’s chief strategist and advocate for populist stances on issues like immigration and trade. His benefactors, the billionaire hedge fund investor Robert Mercer and his daughter Rebekah Mercer, bring wealth and their own proven anti-establishment streak.

The obstacles Mr. Bannon and the Mercers face are formidable: the well-funded resistance of mainstream Republicans; a shortage of viable anti-establishment candidates like Roy Moore, the victor in Tuesday’s Alabama Republican Senate primary; an absence of political infrastructure for supporting them; and their own reputations for not always following through on big political plans.

But the Bannon-Mercer alliance is likely to be a potent factor in widening the divisions laid bare by the Alabama race and the intraparty battles that have crippled the Republican agenda in Congress. It could put Mr. Bannon and the Mercers on a collision course with not just the Republican establishment but with other donor-driven political organizations, including the one built by the billionaire brothers Charles G. and David H. Koch — and potentially with Mr. Trump.

lolno

Let's not even pretend this will even remotely be a pick up for the Democrats. The AL is like one of the reddest states in the US.

Its not really about this race. If Jones is polling this closely in Alabama that is good news for Dems in 2018.

I would like to see more data, though.

antipode

I donated $50 to Jones on Wednesday.

Even if Roy Moore wasn't completely insane - Doug Jones seems like a great candidate.

He put KKK members in jail, for a 20-year-old Birmingham church bombing case that was unsuccessfully prosecuted the first time. Like an Upside-Down Jeff Sessions.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
New York Times has a disturbing article on how Bannon/Mercer and co want more such "anti-establishment " candidates.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/us/politics/steve-bannon-robert-rebekah-mercer-alliance.html

I'm still not sure how the GOP plans to handle this situation. Obviously they're far larger, richer and more entrenched but Bannon can play the fools of this country like a fiddle. I guess its one of those things where the fact they're fighting each other is better than focusing on fighting the rest of us.

I donated $50 to Jones on Wednesday.

Even if Roy Moore wasn't completely insane - Doug Jones seems like a great candidate.

He put KKK members in jail, for a 20-year-old Birmingham church bombing case that was unsuccessfully prosecuted the first time. Like an Upside-Down Jeff Sessions.

As stupid as it sounds (at least to me), you could probably use his history of jailing KKK members in ads and somehow tie that to white peoples' obsession with being "not racist". Like, "How can I be racist if I voted for the guy who locked up KKK members?" Play up that angle and you might be able to guilt some folks into voting for Jones over Moore. I feel like that's our best shot in Alabama, anyway.

Brakke

Banned
We have a moral obligation to stop Moore. He's not Karen Handel. He's actually evil. Jones needs to make this like the 2015 Louisiana Governor's race.

Worth throwing a few thousand $ here.

Yeah if Dems can’t be bothered to oppose an outright villain, then why would I even give them dollars.

Top Bottom