• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Candidates invoke Trump's name, God in Alabama Senate race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Seated beneath the Ten Commandments plaque that first made him a conservative icon in the culture wars, U.S. Senate candidate and former Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore invokes President Donald Trump's campaign slogan — but with his own twist.

"I support President Trump's agenda of making America great again. But I submit to you that we can only make America great again if we make America good," Moore said in his downtown Montgomery office a day after announcing his bid for the Senate seat previously held by U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Moore's campaign theme puts a values-driven spin on the president's populist slogan, "Make America Great Again," and Moore's campaign announcement spelled out what he believes isn't good: divorce, abortion and same-sex marriage.

Former Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange currently holds the Senate seat. He was appointed by then-Gov. Robert Bentley, who resigned this month amid fallout from an alleged affair with a top staffer. Bentley had planned for a 2018 Senate election — which would have allowed his pick to hold the seat longer. But the state's new governor, Kay Ivey, moved it up to this year, setting off what's expected to be a four-month demolition derby among Republican contenders ahead of the Aug. 15 primary.

Strange is running to retain the seat. Trump's Alabama campaign chairman, Ed Henry -- a Republican legislator who helped topple Bentley by starting an impeachment push -- is running too. Randy Brinson, a Montgomery gastroenterologist who chairs the Christian Coalition of Alabama, will be another contender for evangelical votes. The field is expected to grow even larger before qualifying ends in May. Republican state Senate leader Del Marsh is among those considering a bid.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/candidates-invoke-trumps-god-alabama-senate-race-47114278

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Bentley should be in jail. Strange right behind him. Misdemeanor and a free senate seat for the guy investigating him. Tammany Hall levels of naked graft.

Do regular Alabamans think this is all ok?

Bentley should be in jail. Strange right behind him. Misdemeanor and a free senate seat for the guy investigating him. Tammany Hall levels of naked graft.

"This is all part of God's plan for the republican party" - Probably what someone from alabama would say

"This is all part of God's plan for the republican party" - Probably what someone from alabama would say

It's consistently funny that God seemingly never works through Democrats or Independents but only cheating, racist, sexist, and bigoted Republicans who always seem to reveal that they're adulterers, pedophiles, criminals, or easily bought.

RPGCrazied

If we can't take back at least the house in 2018 then the world is truly lost. The backlash should be swift after Trump won.

TI82

Banned
Only declared Democrat is a weed activist who lost a senate race against Richard Shelby last year. The last Democrat to hold this seat was more conservative than many of today's Republicans.

What exactly can Democrats do in a race like this, besides hoping for a once-in-a-lifetime progressive demagogue like Edwin Edwards?

Start at small levels and show them that hey, liberal policies actually help the people rather than hurting them like conservative policies. A lot of people in the south don't actually realize the harm their politicians do for them.

jtar86

lol what do you think
Actually a lot of us are sick of it. The problem is we aren't going to out number baby boomers for a long time.So we have to deal with these ignorant assholes getting reelected year after year after continuing to show us they aren't capable of doing anything other than having affairs or giving their friends and family better jobs or positions in government.

Actually a lot of us are sick of it. The problem is we aren't going to out number baby boomers for a long time.So we have to deal with these ignorant assholes getting reelected year after year after continuing to show us they aren't capable of doing anything other than having affairs or giving their friends and family better jobs or positions in government.
Even when the boomers kick the bucket, the kids they raised will step in to run the show. Yay.

Xe4

Banned
Start at small levels and show them that hey, liberal policies actually help the people rather than hurting them like conservative policies. A lot of people in the south don't actually realize the harm their politicians do for them.

Republicans won the south because of racism. I'm not sure how much showing that liberal policies will help them will do. Always worth a try though, I suppose.

TI82

Banned
Republicans won the south because of racism. I'm not sure how much showing that liberal policies will help them will do. Always worth a try though, I suppose.

Well that's how you defeat racism is by starting small, showing them that diversity is actually a good thing and that black guy isn't actually out to hurt you. That's going to be a longer battle than making the south blue again though.

lol what do you think

Fuck off, I don't think it's okay at all.

Then again, being liberal and atheist, I guess I'm not a "normal" Alabamian.

Thank you.

Fuck off, I don't think it's okay at all.

Then again, being liberal and atheist, I guess I'm not a "normal" Alabamian.

You must live in one of the college towns or cities then.

Rural Alabama is bad. Whenever I go back home, I never fail to see a couple confederate flags flying on some trucks.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I actually think a lot of people don't like Bentley after what he did, and don't like Strange because of this situation.

I hope Strange actually wins the Republican nomination, because he might lose to Crumpton (who is a rightish Dem, but better than the alternatives). If Moore wins the nomination he will probably win the election.

Rural Alabama is bad. Whenever I go back home, I never fail to see a couple confederate flags flying on some trucks.

Well, to be fair I did live in Tuscaloosa for 3 years, which is where my eyes opened. But before and after I've been stuck in a rural-ish area and its awful.

If I can get into UAB I might just move to Birmingham rather than commute, but the rent prices there compared to here x.x

Tripon

I actually think a lot of people don't like Bentley after what he did, and don't like Strange because of this situation.

I hope Strange actually wins the Republican nomination, because he might lose to Crumpton (who is a rightish Dem, but better than the alternatives). If Moore wins the nomination he will probably win the election.

Whomever wins the Republican primary will win the general election. This is still Alabama.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Whomever wins the Republican primary will win the general election. This is still Alabama.

A lot of people are really unhappy with Strange. I think he would win, but Crumpton would have a chance against him. Against basically anyone else it wouldn't be close.

Xe4

Banned
Well that's how you defeat racism is by starting small, showing them that diversity is actually a good thing and that black guy isn't actually out to hurt you. That's going to be a longer battle than making the south blue again though.

Well sure, but racism is deeply ingrained. It's going to take a lot more than that, as well as action from the federal government to try to increase diversity. The south has by far the highest black population in this country, but it's heavily segregated. If people had more minorities as their friends, classmates, and neighbors, it would go a long way into destroying stereotypes.

Of course, nothing is easy.

Well, to be fair I did live in Tuscaloosa for 3 years, which is where my eyes opened. But before and after I've been stuck in a rural-ish area and its awful.

If I can get into UAB I might just move to Birmingham rather than commute, but the rent prices there compared to here x.x

Yea, I was in Lowndes county for some time before we moved to Montgomery and I hated everything about the rural areas.

Birmingham has gotten to big city rent prices. Montgomery is getting towards that level as well.

KingK

I did not know the crazy 10 commandments judge was running for the Senate. Fuck

Lol, I live in Indiana, 20 minutes south of Michigan, and there are confederate flags on trucks, houses, keychains, fucking everywhere. Like, we're not even close to the south so these people aren't even really trying to hide that they're racist shits.

Sulik2

I think Alabamans are cops and doctors and nerds and losers and hippies and masseuses and democrats and republicans and so on. But surely rational republicans can't find this open fuckery acceptable.

I'm pretty certain the last year has demonstrated these don't exist.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I did not know the crazy 10 commandments judge was running for the Senate. Fuck

He will probably win, honestly. He has a huge following for obvious reasons and there are enough dumb people in this state to win him the election. A combination of ultra-religious loons and "vote R no matter what" Republicans that may not care for him.

Best case is Strange wins the nomination and the religious crazies stay home in their disappointment, and some R leaning folks shift to D because they refuse to support Strange due to the situation with Bentley, and Crumpton (or another Dem, but he will probably be the guy) squeaks out a narrow win. That's still really unlikely though. Less likely than the Dem winning Kansas.

Hey Roy Moore

Shutyoass228rn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom