• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon examines the really limited roles Moms are afforded in most games

Apathy

Macha from chrono cross was a mom you could have in your party. I think she doesn't fit into the stereotypes for moms in games

I recently played Citizens of Earth which is an Earthboundish game where you play as the recently-elected vice president of Earth, and you pick up like 40 party members throughout the game.

Your first two party members are your mom and little brother, who works for UPS. They're both pretty critical for the early game and even further on, mom is an awesome healer. She can heal the whole party with hugs!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The issue of parents being evil, absent, dead or doomed honestly seems to apply to both genders. I mean, the article mentions a whole bunch of Bioware mothers, but the fathers almost without exception fit into those categories. Like, you're definitely more likely to have some evil near-deity father plotting your destruction than to have some guy who actually stuck around to raise you and isn't about to die.

The difference, and it certainly is a big difference, is that we sometimes, particularly recently, get to play a largely positive father figure, whereas female protagonists, particularly older ones, are rare.

Presicely. We're seeing the dadification of games, but not its counterpart

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Thanks to Nirolak for changing the title as it seems that's what most people reacted to initially.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This reminds me of someone asking Togashi about Gon's lack of parents in Hunter x Hunter and I believe he gave the reasoning for the lack of parents or parental influence as this,"Parents get in the way of sending a young kid out int the dangerous world to have crazy adventures they might die from". I think parents are often absent because they get in the way of just sending your protagonist off to do as they please.

majik13

That's not how spoilertags work. You should mark that it is a UC4 Spoiler before someone decides to click it or not.

Uncharted
wouldnt putting 'UC4' in there kinda heavily imply who the spoiler tag person is? There is only 1 or so positive/alive female characters in the game. Doing it anyways.
Might as well do it in the quote as well.

Crossing Eden

Isnt this more of a symptom of there not being many female protagonists in the first place?
Unfortunately yes.

This reminds me of someone asking Togashi about Gon's lack of parents in Hunter x Hunter and I believe he gave the reasoning for the lack of parents or parental influence as this,"Parents get in the way of sending a young kid out int the dangerous world to have crazy adventures they might die from". I think parents are often absent because they get in the way of just sending your protagonist off to do as they please.
I never relate to this logic as my mother was always super open about letting me and my friends explore even late at night.

HStallion

I never relate to this logic as my mother was always super open about letting me and my friends explore even late at night.

I think it was more about kids/teenagers going on missions and adventures where the world or something huge is at stake and they could very well die a horrible death and not so much your parents letting you out to go hang out with friends around the neighborhood. No parent worth their salt that isn't insane is going to go let their kid go fighting, stealing, escaping and so on with grown adults while they are nearly killed. Its basically the premise of the Goonies.

Nice article, thanks for sharing OP.

I remember this cancelled game called The Lost about a mother searching for her dead child in Hell. I was really looking forward to it and was sad when it was finally cancelled.

Crossing Eden

I think it was more about kids/teenagers going on missions and adventures where the world or something huge is at stake and they could very well die a horrible death and not so much your parents letting you out to go hang out with friends around the neighborhood. No parent worth their salt that isn't insane is going to go let their kid go fighting, stealing, escaping and so on with grown adults while they are nearly killed. Its basically the premise of the Goonies.
We'll here's the metaphor of a "party" being your group of friends. In most anime and RPGs everyone is usually incredible casual about the whole joining up to fight evil thing.

fernoca

Yep.
Is probably why in games they usually rely on the absent or death parents, or the single/sad stay at home mother that has a disease, etc. Portraying "normal parents", even a single hardworking parent would bring the problem of said parents even letting their children walk to their possible demise just because.

In the Mortal Kombat X example I mentioned that kinda got in the way and some pointed that back then, recving critiscm for that.

In the story, you had Sindel's love towards Kitana as the reason in the original timeline the invasion was stopped. In the new timeline, Kitana tries to work around that to bring Sindel to her senses, but didn't worked.

Then in X, Sonya despite been authoritary didn't liked sending Cassie into dangerous missions, while Johnny was a bit more open to that; while Jax stopped talking to Johnny and Sonya for what he assumed as them convincing his daughter to join the special forces.

Then you go to the actual game and they murder and rip each other to pieces. :p

So sometimes the "solution" is to basically kill the parents or remove them from the story, since in reality most parents wouldn't allow their kids to go to grand adventures. Or if they did, they would tag along...and sacrifice themselves to avoid seeing the children killed (which will result in tropes and clichés too).

It would be great seeing more of both mother and fathers. But the "dadification" we're seeing now is the result of years of male centric roles.

Sadly we're in 2016, and prominent female roles are still rare. Which by default results in a lack of "momification" or any mothers on most games.

Seems to me that with less female main characters in general there's automatically less moms in important roles. One is slowly improving I think, I hope the other follows.

HStallion

Wanted to mention the lack of mom's in gaming is probably related to the issues of sex and representation in the industry but I know a lot of designers and story tellers often don't have parents as a way to let their young protagonist go out into a dangerous and intimidating world without anyone making a stink about it. It just lets them off the hook for throwing a kid into mortal danger as there is no one to look out for them or tell them otherwise. That or the parents die fairly early on thus leaving them free of control or maybe that death in of itself sent the kid out into the wide world itself. Full Metal Alchemist kind of does this.

jadjei

Obligatory

5684bf6e04aea.jpg

LOL, I didn't know that was a thing.

Without Chi Chi Gohan would be as stupid as his father.

Agree that Gohan would be more stupid without Chi Chi however, I think he would have been stronger because Goku would have pushed Gohan into being a martial artist rather than a scholar.

GeekyDad

Oh video games...what happened to you? Remember when you just needed to shoot shit. Now you have to worry about fitting every demographic into a narrative.

The innocence is gone...time to grow up, video games. Time to grow up...

HStallion

Oh video games...what happened to you? Remember when you just needed to shoot shit. Now you have to worry about fitting every demographic into a narrative.

You make it sound like a bad things that video games have to mature...

Eusis

Games about shooting were boring anyway.
I liked stabbing and slicing way more.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
z5Zi7BV.jpg

Seth Balmore from Lost Odyssey.

Yes, as well as Sarah from the same game (well, she's more of a
grandmother
). Interesting in how it showed what happens when a character does not age but their children do. Polygon article missed a lot of more niche Japanese RPGs which have moms in prominent non-cliche story roles (Grandia III, FF6's Terra, your wife in DQ5, Labyrinthia from Wild Arms XF who is motherly in personality even if she has no kids of her own, the Mother series, Toriel in the heavily-Mother-influenced Undertale) isn't too surprising for that outlet.

GeekyDad
(Today, 01:07 PM)

Crossing Eden

So yea why're you implying that being inclusive and maturing is a bad thing for an artistic medium? Being more inclusive and mature=innocence disappearing? What?

Was this article inspired by an Overwatch leak?
This came before the overwatch leak.

Cuburt

At the very least, it's an interesting observation I haven't really though of.

The Last of Us could have been even more powerful as a story of a mother instead of a father.

JackelZXA

But...Moms are tough!

At the very least, it's an interesting observation I haven't really though of.

The Last of Us could have been even more powerful as a story of a mother instead of a father.

It would have been an entirely different story. Elly is slow to trust Joel, where that relationship would have taken a different path if you were playing as a woman (Elly would have likely warmed up to you faster and looked at you more as a mentor than someone she doesn't want to deal with. She's closer to the women in her life at the start of the game.) And the way the story turns out for Joel has a very masculine tone to it. I feel like the lie he tells Elly at the end wouldn't have worked for the same reasons with a Maternal role. Part of the core of the story is that Joel and Elly are as different and unrelatable to eachother as you can get.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have liked having a story about a woman (Because I absolutely WOULD have liked that) but a direct comparison of "it woulda been more powerful" doesn't really work because the narrative direction would have been a different arc. (You can take it to similar places, but the initial point of contact and the character path would likely have changed because of who Elly is as a person.)

Neoxon

I love me some C. Viper. CIA agent by night, parent by day. She checks in on her child (and eventually goes back to her once SF4 is over), and still has enough personality to be more than "just a mom" (in so far that it's not just a notch on her personality belt, if that makes sense).
When I saw this thread linked in the Ana thread, I was hoping that Crimson Viper would be brought up. I was not disappointed.

Top Bottom