• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon threatens to bomb the review of Earthworm Jim due to creators ‘sin’

Is it just me, or did things actually get waaaay more out of hand in the last few months with stuff like this? Like, actively trying to torpedo games for not adhering to some arbitrary gold standard of morality.
It's a political shift, normality is starting to take hold again and these people are getting more violent in their behavior because they're losing grasp of their delusions.

People are beginning to wake up and walk away from the leftist psychosis, and those that remain are lashing out with their last gasps for air as they die.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I honestly worry what the world will be like 20-30 years from now, if something isnt done about the SJW cancer thats infecting the world. It seems to be getting noticably worse every month.
I keep having visions of that Cristan Bale futuristic movie where there is no emotion, everyone is walking around like a zombie clone of each other, and art, books, entertainments etc is burnt.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
All major gaming journalist sites are trash. They are full of people who don’t actually care about video games, and have an open disdain for people who do. Between their moral grandstanding and fake news, they have no integrity to speak of.

This is a lesson we should all know by now. It is all so tiring.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
I honestly worry what the world will be like 20-30 years from now, if something isnt done about the SJW cancer thats infecting the world. It seems to be getting noticably worse every month.
I keep having visions of that Cristan Bale futuristic movie where there is no emotion, everyone is walking around like a zombie clone of each other, and art, books, entertainments etc is burnt.

They will either destroy civilization or they will be destroyed. The two can't co-exist.

Now contrast that with this article from the sadly short lived Gameological Society, which was the last gasp for decent online game journalism and see how much more fair and level headed it is in tackling the controversy over Doug than garbage like Polygon and how far we've fallen since 2013.

Last edited:
9OMr.gif

This Polygon?

juliotendo

I hope these “gaming journalists” keep this up — so they keep bleeding credibility and readers, therefore rendering their employment worthless soon and we can stop paying attention to these idiots for good.

What happened to the old days of just reviewing a video game for what it is. Nobody cares about the creators political stance on issues or their affiliation. Normal people don’t give a shit.

I’m pretty sure the guys of naughty dog are bleeding liberals and drink a lot of soy — but I still play their games because they’re fantastic. Maybe the team at Rockstar believes in Marxism and they spend their weekends at Soviet death cults. What do I care?

That’s the thing with liberal activists —- they view the world 24/7 under the guise of their bullshit fanatical cause and anybody against them should be silenced, ignored, or censored.

Fuck them all.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I hope these “gaming journalists” keep this up — so they keep bleeding credibility and readers, therefore rendering their employment worthless soon and we can stop paying attention to these idiots for good.

What happened to the old days of just reviewing a video game for what it is. Nobody cares about the creators political stance on issues or their affiliation. Normal people don’t give a shit.

I’m pretty sure the guys of naughty dog are bleeding liberals and drink a lot of soy — but I still play their games because they’re fantastic.

That’s the thing with liberal activists —- they view the world 24/7 under the guise of their bullshit fanatical cause and anybody against them should be silenced, ignored, or censored.

Fuck them all.
The thing is though, imo a lot of these game journo's and game devs are NOT sjw's, or support their 'cause'. We would still be playing scantily clad female fighters in MK11 if SJW culture had never happened, fact!, no matter what Boon says, same with all the other sjw shite in games.
The problem is everyone with some kind of business in the public eye, is scared shitless of SJW's, even multi-billion dollar companies. And thats because SJW's dont play fair. You dont go along with their phylosophy, or bow to their demands, and they will accuse you of beoing racist, homophobic, bigots etc, and companies are just too scared to risk that. It could mean the end of them in todays loopy world.
Something has to break at some point though, it has to.

Nymphae

Banned
Not sure of the context of the OP content because it's blocked and I'm at work right now, but what does "bomb" the review even mean? They don't even score things anymore, and it's safe to bet they're going to write about the politics of the developers in everything, so does bomb the review refer to them just writing a typically Polygon review? Or just intentionally not give a shit when writing the review? Or write several bad reviews?

How much influence do these people have anymore anyway, honestly.

They really are not journalists, they are product reviewers. Product review has nothing to do with the "behind the scenes" developers. Its about the end product.

Shmunter

Not sure of the context of the OP content because it's blocked and I'm at work right now, but what does "bomb" the review even mean? They don't even score things anymore, and it's safe to bet they're going to write about the politics of the developers in everything, so does bomb the review refer to them just writing a typically Polygon review? Or just intentionally not give a shit when writing the review? Or write several bad reviews?

Journalist brings up developers trans misgendering from 2017 and makes a thinly veiled threat against the upcoming Earthworm Jim game. The conversation escalated from there on twitter.

2019.05.02-03.01-boundingintocomics-5ccb06653c5eb.png

More here...

Shifty1897

Honestly? The liberal games media has some effect on sales. Kingdom Come: Deliverance and A Hat In Time should have both been hits, and while both sold okay, negative attention in the media affected them.

Zambatoh

Honestly? The liberal games media has some effect on sales. Kingdom Come: Deliverance and A Hat In Time should have both been hits, and while both sold okay, negative attention in the media affected them.
Did it? I recall the only reason Kingdom Come even did as well as it did was because of all the free media attention it got. Without it, most people wouldn't even have known the game existed.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I dont know how it did on consoles, but Kingdom Come did brilliant on PC, much better than they were expecting i'm sure. The game has near 30k user reviews, and doing the old Steam trick of 'amount of user reviews times 100' to get a rough estimate of how well it did, well you do the math!. It did a lot better than many mega hyped AAA games on Steam.
It also knocked PUBG off the top spot for nearly 2 weeks, right when PUBG was at its highest popularity.

Last edited:

Petrae

All major gaming journalist sites are trash. They are full of people who don’t actually care about video games, and have an open disdain for people who do. Between their moral grandstanding and fake news, they have no integrity to speak of.

This is a lesson we shouls all know by now. It is all so tiring.

It’s pathetic, really. “Games journalists”— rendered worthless awhile ago now by YouTube and Twitch personalities— desperately try to stay relevant through outrage and slacktivism.

They don’t know anything about video games anymore, but they’re damned good at soliciting attention and being divisive... which is what mainstream “games journalism” sites demand these days, anyway. They know that they can’t compete anymore in the field of actual reviews and talking about the games themselves because pretty much anyone can do it as long as they have a camera and a website.

It’s really sad to see how far things have fallen. I was just leafing through some video game magazines from the 1990s and early 2000s today, and what a difference. Sociopolitical bullshit was saved for the 2-3 pages of “Letters to the Editor”, and those were penned by readers and not the staff. The legit content of each magazine was the other 100+ pages, or 50 if you count ads. When you only have so much room to print what’s really important, you don’t waste it on tangentially related shit. You report on the games.

That concept is sadly long dead.

Nymphae

Banned
"It would be trickier for me to review this one {if he was involved]"

Sounds like a clear conflict of interest if the reviewer is allowing their personal political agenda to prevent them from doing their duty properly, by their own admission. Unless the interest of your company is to remind people of everyone's personal politics and make judgments on products based on those. In which case just review the thing like you normally do. I don't get it, it's like are you going to "throw" the review somehow or something? Just write an op ed on the guy's politics if it's triggering you so badly and let another person who can focus more on the game actually write the product review.

Honest question, how does Polygon factor into Metacritic numbers nowadays now that they don't have scores? I am suspect of Polygon's overall influence level now but I do see your point about the overall liberal games media, even if I don't think they have the power to truly squash something great that the public wants with their review scores anymore.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Well it’s basic ethics. Everyone is entitled to their world view. And everybody can criticize one another for whatever they see fit.

However if you are in a certain position, you need to distance yourself from putting out official press when there is a conflict of interest. This goes for nepotism or for the reverse. If you cannot put forth a position without tainting it with unrelated matters good, or bad you do not do it.

This journalist made the mistake of broadcasting their ideological bias and how it will effect their review. But more than that, essentially saying, remove -or- else bad things will happen. It doesn't matter that it would hurt other people in the process. Disgusting comes to mind.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Honest question, how does Polygon factor into Metacritic numbers nowadays now that they don't have scores? I am suspect of Polygon's overall influence level now but I do see your point about the overall liberal games media, even if I don't think they have the power to truly squash something great that the public wants with their review scores anymore.

It doesn't affect the Metascore, but they are still listed at the bottom of the page and can get clicks.

As for giving lower scores on purpose because of different ideological or political views, welp it's not new, Gamespot's Days Gone review is a good example of that.

Top Bottom