• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portable Gaffers What's your solution for in home PC Streaming?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Very interested in what devices / software people are using to stream games from their home pc's to mobile device for gaming around the house?
I have access to Geforce now and have been using it for the majority of my mobile gaming needs at home with a 5Ghz wifi. For the most part it has allowed me to play some of my games away from the desktop which I tend to enjoy more and more as I get older.

However in the past when I have tried to use streaming software from PC to say steam deck / Rog Ally / Logitech G / iPad etc I have run into a lot of issues ranging from resolution issues / HDR issues / Latency and just other weird issues preventing me from enjoying pick up and play.

Used steam before but that doesn't work with all my games as I have a lot in different launchers / services so id be limited to mostly steam only titles.

So Im asking for myself and others what has your solution been to house gaming via portable devices? Is there a one stop solution in 2023 or any tricks or tips / recommended software to allow me to move freely around the house and play my PC games without having to troubleshoot stuff?

Thanks in advance!

zephiross

I use sunshine with moonlight, Sunshine being the streaming tool on the PC (base on geforce gamestream), and moonlight the app on the receiving hand. It works remotly too so I can stream my PC games on my phone on the go (small input lag) or on another PC (virtually no input lag on a fiber connection).

It's fully free and you have access to everything on your PC since it's well, your PC you are streaming (meaning mods etc...)

EDIT: I use this with my iphone, ipad, appletv, and work PC, it's quite universal

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Moonlight / Sunshine and my Logitech G Cloud handheld. I also use Playnite as my console-esque UI for accessing my games.

Works INCREDIBLY well. Virtually non-perceivable latency and super high bitrate video. You get 60fps maxed out visuals (depending on the rig you're streaming from of course) on a handheld.

I would take this combination 100x over a Steam Deck, personally.

Housh

I use the built in Steam client Remote Play for playing JA3 and BA3 on my Macbook Pro in bed off my gaming rig downstairs. Works flawless and I don't notice any latency but then again I'm playing turn-based combat on my WIFI 6E mesh network.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I play on Deck using Moonlight on PC, Chiaki for PS5, and xCloud for slower paced Xbox games.

The key for the local stuff is having my PC and PS5 on wired/ethernet.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
How is game discovery via moonlight don’t I have to manually add my games? What’s sunshine do or for?

zephiross

Seems like the defacto solution, does it mean I can put the PC on my office room and play from the TV in the living room without any noticable lag?
yes exactly, my PC is upstairs but I have moonlight installed on my appleTV downstairs so I can play 4K60 HDR with next to no input lag. Moreover, the apple tv remote touch surface is used as a trackpad for the PC and I have a dualsense paired with it and it's recognized as a xbox controller through moonlight. It can even send multicanal sound signals through streaming i believe if you have a soundbar or anything else connected.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Wifi 5 isn't the latest now that 6 is out, and signal issues can slow things down, especially if you're using those garbage wifi extenders instead of a proper mesh network for bigger homes. As others have said, it's possible to stream games without hardly any input lag across a correctly set up home network.

Top Bottom