• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible hate crime in London involving acid thrown on victims

bionic77

Two people were left with "life-changing" injuries when a corrosive substance was thrown on to them through their car windows.
Cousins Resham Khan and Jameel Muhktar had been celebrating Ms Khan's 21st birthday before the attack.
Officers would like to speak to John Tomlin, 24, and are appealing for information on his whereabouts.
He has been described as 6ft tall, of stocky build and with short fair hair. He is known to frequent the Canning Town area.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40440741

Pretty horrible story. Yet another probable hate crime (per the victim). Seems like we can't go 2 weeks without something horrible happening this year.

It was horrible to see the pictures before and after the acid attack.

nynt9

Here's a good article about acid attacks in the UK and their prominence:

Why Acid Attacks Have Doubled in the UK

An acid attack affecting such a large group of people is rare, but the use of noxious chemicals—or "face melters"—as a weapon of choice is now horrifyingly frequent in the UK. Figures released by the Metropolitan Police found there has been a steep rise in the number of reported attacks in London to more than one incident a day, from 261 in 2015 to 454 in 2016. The rise in the capital is mirrored nationally, with growing numbers of people being treated for acid attacks in the hospital and in incidents reported to police across the UK.

In its 2017 Threat Assessment, Thurrock Council in Essex declared acid attacks "a new and rising concern in gang related violence." In February, there were seven acid attacks in the borough of Havering in just three weeks. Last May, 17-year-old Alexander Bassey was sentenced to eight years in jail for grievous bodily harm after spraying five teenage boys with acid from a bottle at Ockendon train station. The list goes on.

There is a reason why acid is increasingly becoming a weapon of choice in 2017. Unlike high-profile UK victims such as Piper and Naomi Oni, who was attacked by her jealous friend disguised in a veil, the new wave of noxious chemical assaults in Britain are now chiefly carried out by young men on other young men—mainly low-level criminals using acid as a tool of revenge and for settling petty disputes.

For young armed offenders operating under increased crackdowns on knives and guns, a chemical weapon has an advantage: It can be carried incognito in a soft-drink bottle and is legal, cheap, and easy to get. Sulphuric acid, for example, in the form of drain cleaner, can be bought for just a few dollars in any DIY store. But crucially, acid is a weapon with a uniquely grotesque impact.

sflufan

Banned
Even without seeing the picture of the suspect, I had already formed a picture in my head of what he'd look like and turns out that it was pretty damned close.

The attacks against Muslims in the west has really become insane and disgusting. But since the media, the culture, doesn't think it's a big deal at all, I don't see it stopping.

Horrible. It may or may not be race related, the guys mug shot probably indicates it is race related though.

Don't like how the victim has been saying if it was a white victim the media would be reporting it more.

Erm pretty sure this is getting coverage and most acid attack gets reported by media regardless of race.

bionic77

This is beyond fucked up. Acid attacks are among the most abhorrent crimes imo.
Reading about the victims started screaming and ripping off their clothes (which were falling apart) was horrible. They were out celebrating their fucking birthday too.

There is no punishment severe enough for this asshole.

Zelias

Banned
I'm generally against capital punishment and torture but shit like this really tests my principles. Catch this thug and lock him up.

lol, you can use that as your defense in court

I would hope I would keep my shit together if somebody hurt my loved ones but Kendrick speaks to my heart and soul here:

Yesterday I got a call like from my dog like 101
Said they killed his only son because of insufficient funds
He was sobbin', he was mobbin', way belligerent and drunk
Talkin' out his head philosphin' on what the lord had done
He said, "K-Dot can you pray for me?
It's been a fucked up day for me
I know that you anointed, show me how to overcome"
He was lookin' for some closure
Hopin' I could bring him closer
To the spiritual, my spirit do know better, but I told him
"I can't sugar coat the answer for you
This is how I feel—if somebody kill my son
That mean somebody's gettin' killed"
Tell me what you do for love, loyalty, and passion of
All the memories collected, moments you could never touch
I wait in front a niggas spot and watch him hit his block
I'll catch a nigga leavin' service if that's all I got
I'll chip a nigga then throw the blower in his lap
Walk myself to the court like, "Bitch I did that"
Ain't no black power when your baby killed by a coward
I can't even keep the peace, don't you fuck with one of ours
It be murder in the street, it be bodies in the hour
Ghetto bird on the street, paramedics on the dial
Let somebody touch my momma
Touch my sister, touch my woman
Touch my daddy, touch my niece
Touch my nephew, touch my brother
You should chip a nigga then throw the blower in his lap

I hope they catch this sick fuck. Attacking another human unprovoked is absolutely terrible and using acid is especially cruel as it will likely have lifelong implications mentally and physically for the victims.

Horrible. It may or may not be race related, the guys mug shot probably indicates it is race related though.

Don't like how the victim has been saying if it was a white victim the media would be reporting it more.

Erm pretty sure this is getting coverage and most acid attack gets reported by media regardless of race.

It was race related. It would get more coverage from right-wing media if the attacker was brown.

We gonna waste this thread chastising someone for their visceral reaction to the thought of their loved one being a victim of a fucking acid attack?

Dice//

Banned
Sick. Why people would do that kind of damage to someone they don't know is repulsive.

I know "an eye for an eye" is bad policy, but fuckit, throw acid on him as punishment.

Symphonia

Banned
if you want to waste your life away in jail as well, that's all yours mate
The justice system in this country is fucked. You know that as well as I do. I'm not going to leave it down to the crown court to settle on a 'punishment' for scum like him. As others have said, eye for an eye.

Aren't tear outlines for attempted murder charges?

The teardrop tattoo can mean different things. The most common is if they killed or they have spent time in prison. If it's just an outline that means it can represent attempted murder. It could also mean that someone they knew was killed and they want revenge. However, this happened in the UK, so it could mean something different there.

Boke1879

After such a tragedy your daughter or sister or mother would need you near them, not rotting in some jail.

All I'll say is this. You don't know what people will do.

Someone did this to my father, brother, sister, mom, daughter etc.

I'm liable to take matters in my own hands. I'm truly happy some can know they'll hold themselves back. But I don't know.

daviyoung

Banned
The justice system in this country is fucked. You know that as well as I do. I'm not going to leave it down to the crown court to settle on a 'punishment' for scum like him. As others have said, eye for an eye.

you definitely sound like the kind of rational person I expect to be in charge of the justice system

Famassu

All I'll say is this. You don't know what people will do.

Someone did this to my father, brother, sister, mom, daughter etc.

I'm liable to take matters in my own hands. I'm truly happy some can know they'll hold themselves back. But I don't know.
I've been the victim of violence and to this day I wouldn't do anything different.

That is, call the police & let them and the justice system handle it. Don't become as bad or even worse than the people who do this kind of shit. History has proven it a billion times. The cycle of hate & violence won't end with more hate & violence.

Top Bottom