• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible hate crime in London involving acid thrown on victims

Toxi

Banned
"possible" hate crime? How can this be anything else except that?
We don't know anything about the attacker's motives or relationship with the victims. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hate crime, but it also could be other things.

More information will hopefully clarify this soon.

Daingurse

And then you'll exist in jail for the rest of your life, away from your loved one. Come on.

Still doesn't change the urge. You just have to be rational, and not act on it. If someone did this to a family member of mine, I would want to kill said person with my own two-hands.

Ric Flair

Banned
I know it's barbaric but when it comes to crime like this,I think the eye-for-an-eye punishment is the only suitable justice. Dump the same acid on his face and see how remorseful he becomes

the use of noxious chemicals—or "face melters"—as a weapon of choice is now horrifyingly frequent in the UK. Figures released by the Metropolitan Police found there has been a steep rise in the number of reported attacks in London to more than one incident a day, from 261 in 2015 to 454 in 2016. The rise in the capital is mirrored nationally, with growing numbers of people being treated for acid attacks in the hospital and in incidents reported to police across the UK.

What in the heck?

We don't know anything about the attacker's motives or relationship with the victims. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hate crime, but it also could be other things.

More information will hopefully clarify this soon.
They have looked at the Facebook of the guy they're looking for and it's full of EDF (English Defence League) and Britain First right wing bullshit. It's not hard to join the dots. In other cases of acid attacks it's nearly always between gangs or people who know each other. The BBC and Channel 4 links explain better.

What in the heck?
It's also a big problem in Italy. But there it's mainly used against women. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/29/acid-attacks-italy-gessica-notaro
In India sales of acid had to be regulated because of attacks against women. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-23358264 I can see the same thing happening here in the UK.

All I'll say is this. You don't know what people will do.

Someone did this to my father, brother, sister, mom, daughter etc.

I'm liable to take matters in my own hands. I'm truly happy some can know they'll hold themselves back. But I don't know.

Personally I'd reenact the scene from Law Abiding Citizen.

If you make the conscious effort to throw acid on someone's fucking face, the last thing you deserve is to sit in a comfy jail cell.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Personally I'd reenact the scene from Law Abiding Citizen.

If you make the conscious effort to throw acid on someone's fucking face, the last thing you deserve is to sit in a comfy jail cell.

There's nothing comfy about prison cells, but I know what you mean.

Toxi

Banned
They have looked at the Facebook of the guy they're looking for and it's full of EDF (English Defence League) and Britain First right wing bullshit. It's not hard to join the dots. In other cases of acid attacks it's nearly always between gangs or people who know each other. The BBC and Channel 4 links explain better.
Oh, thanks for that clarification. Yeah, then it sounds like a hate crime.

bionic77

I know it's barbaric but when it comes to crime like this,I think the eye-for-an-eye punishment is the only suitable justice. Dump the same acid on his face and see how remorseful he becomes
Society can't sink to the levels of these monsters.

Easier said than done when you see the victims pictures and read their account of the attack.

ss1

Neo Member
Absolutely terrible thing to happen. Hopefully, the perpetrator will be brought to justice.

I came across a UK charity that fights on the behalf of victims of acid attacks worldwide in case anyone wants to donate to help support victims of this type of barbarism: http://www.acidviolence.org

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There are pictures of the victims in the article as well .. absolutely ridiculous that this is being treated as a 'possible' hate crime. Fucking bullshit. Lock that motherfucker up and throw away the keys for a good few decades.

Cuburt

There needs to be more restrictions on people getting that stuff, especially since it sounds like it's something that is growing as a chemical weapon.

Horrific, deplorable attacks.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Acid attacks are horrifying - it's worse than rape and the penalties should be for life. I would argue for the death penalty in most cases.

daviyoung

Banned
He won't, because he knows I'm right. He just won't admit it.

Oh dear. The answer to the question is "I don't know" because I don't know how I'll react. I could harm myself or I could harm someone else. Whichever way I expect society to react as it does now, and if I were to harm others to not praise my vigilantism

Regarding trying this person in court-- what is the extent of the punishment? Jail time? What if they just don't care or don't mind being in jail?

This is such a heartbreaking crime.

Kin5290

Horrible. It may or may not be race related, the guys mug shot probably indicates it is race related though.

Don't like how the victim has been saying if it was a white victim the media would be reporting it more.

Erm pretty sure this is getting coverage and most acid attack gets reported by media regardless of race.
Acid attacks require a certain level of hate to pull off. There's a reason why they were used by the fucking Taliban.

Speaking of, white nationalists are borrowing tricks from the Taliban now.

Rmagnus

Banned
Acid attacks require a certain level of hate to pull off. There's a reason why they were used by the fucking Taliban.

Speaking of, white nationalists are borrowing tricks from the Taliban now.

How ironic they are becoming the very thing they hate and fear

Dan1984uk

Banned
The guy who did this is a cunt, to see what a beautiful young lady she is and to have this happen to her and to her cousin is just heartbreaking.

I hope they lock this guy up and throw away the key.

Symphonia

Banned
Oh dear. The answer to the question is "I don't know" because I don't know how I'll react. I could harm myself or I could harm someone else. Whichever way I expect society to react as it does now, and if I were to harm others to not praise my vigilantism
The majority of people in this thread disagree with you. If someone chucks acid - fucking acid - over a loved one, the law goes out the window. You might not love someone enough to avenge them and deal justice accordingly, but most people in this thread do. Eye for an eye really is the only correct punishment.

daviyoung

Banned
The majority of people in this thread disagree with you. If someone chucks acid - fucking acid - over a loved one, the law goes out the window. You might not love someone enough to avenge them and deal justice accordingly, but most people in this thread do. Eye for an eye really is the only correct punishment.

No, most people in this thread also don't know how they'll react, but you can carry on roleplaying your righteous and judgemental vigilante role if that makes you feel secure. Just don't expect me to play along with the emotional character you want to build for yourself. Just a reminder, eye for an eye is why white nationalists are using acid to harm muslims.

Rmagnus

Banned

Lol it's laughable how you think taking revange shows how much you love someone. When that someone needs you the most you land yourself in a cell. Great way to show your love boo

Jacked

Neo Member

I don't agree with you.

My main priority would be supporting my injured love one by being there for them, not selfishly putting myself in jail too just so I can take out revenge. That would only hurt the victim more.

I also think it's plain disgusting that you are accusing him of not loving anyone enough to take revenge for something like this, just stop.

squidyj

I don't agree with you, fucking psycho.

Nether!

What are the logistics of your revenge fantasy?
Walk through the scenario for yourself, step by step, see how far you make it before you realize it's not plausible.

takriel

If they get him, and they will, they should publicly livestream throwing acid over his face. Let this be a warning.

I know, this is a terrible suggestion, but I'm really angry right now.

Symphonia

Banned
No, most people in this thread also don't know how they'll react, but you can carry on roleplaying your righteous and judgemental vigilante role if that makes you feel secure. Just don't expect me to play along with the emotional character you want to build for yourself. Just a reminder, eye for an eye is why white nationalists are using acid to harm muslims.
And I'm white chucking acid over a white person. This is to do with making sure a just punishment is served to some monster who has ruined lives.

Top Bottom