• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible hate crime in London involving acid thrown on victims

Septy

Most acid attacks are gang related, not hate crime.

Yep, or issues related to spurned marriage proposals or so-called family honour.

Acid attacks are unbelievably cruel, they deserve harsh punishments, The level of hatred to perform such an attack is hard for most people to imagine.

squidyj

so we're using the "both sides" pretense to equate the close companions of the victims in a hypothetical scenario where their loved ones get thrown FUCKING ACID on their faces to racist asses that commit hate crimes? nice one. something on this level of bigotry ain't ever happen to me nor my loved ones and probably not yours neither, but you can't shrug and be like WELL IN THIS HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO I WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT RESORT TO FAULTY VIGILANTISM whilst wagging your finger against those that admit to themselves that they probably won't maintain their composure during something like that. fuck outta here with that nonsense

i think you mean those that casually entertain revenge fantasies and suggest that anyone who wouldn't don't really love anyone. cmon now.

DJ88

I understand both sides of the revenge argument, but the one thing I can't stand is when people say that an eye for an eye punishment here makes some just as bad or worse than the monster who committed the crime.

I call huge BS on that. No it does not make you just as bad, there's a clear fucking difference. One is being done to an innocent person who did absolutely nothing to deserve their lives being ruined. The other is being done to a piece of shit who absolutely deserves to feel the pain and agony he decided to inflict on a completely innocent person.

Two very different scenarios, no where near both being just as bad as the other.

Zakalwe

Banned
The dark hatred you must feel to do something like this, I can't imagine it. I'd blink this guy out of existence in a heartbeat if you gave me the power, but I'd never want to inflict this kind of suffering even on him.

Actions like this are terrifying, utterly unreasonable and fulled by nothing but utter malice. I feel sick thinking about how life will be for these poor people because of this shitty human. Ugh.

They went around begging people for water. Incredibly sad, but just in case (Christopher Hitchens forbid) you come across someone who had strong acid thrown on them and have a bottle of water, DO NOT splash it on them. Water will exacerbate the damage and water only helps if you have a constant stream to wash it out. Throwing some water can very well make things worse. Best thing to do is to guide them to a bathroom where they can stick their face in the sink with a constant stream of water.

Khrno

I understand both sides of the revenge argument, but the one thing I can't stand is when people say that an eye for an eye punishment here makes some just as bad or worse than the monster who committed the crime.

I call huge BS on that. No it does not make you just as bad, there's a clear fucking difference. One is being done to an innocent person who did absolutely nothing to deserve their lives being ruined. The other is being done to a piece of shit who absolutely deserves to feel the pain and agony he decided to inflict on a completely innocent person.

Two very different scenarios, no where near both being just as bad as the other.

I do agree with your argument.

I just think that type of revenge is a bad answer because that person will be punished too, the punishment I don't think should be nearly as high as the hate crime perpetrator, but ironically, revenge would also be a hate crime.

So if the affected person wants to resort to eye for an eye, they will just be getting some fake satisfaction that might somewhat make them feel better, but instead the victim will be alone (at least without them) not having their emotional, physical and even economical support.

So I still thing that revenge is the worst scenario all around, since it is just some momentaneous satisfaction.

DDknO02XcAAVusc.jpg

DDknPzXXUAAHF6n.jpg

Interesting posts shared by the suspect. Can't say I'm surprised.

Breakage

Can mod change the title from possible hate crime to just hate crime?
Is this even a 'hate crime' though? Doesn't the material on his Facebook suggest a political element? The term just feels reductive in this case.

Btw, the suspect is still at large.

Reclaim what is rightfully ours

Using that alongside Crusaders armour. Some motherfuckers just can't stop living in the past.
That 'Great Britain' too. Remember that? When children were either in the workhouse or choking up a chimney, the 'working class' were so impoverished that our lives today are more comparable to that of kings and you were likely dead or dying by the age of 40. Let's all pine for those good old days!

Less than worthless pieces of shit.

Ashes

Banned
Acid attacks being racially motivated seems to be on rise at least if you have your ears to the Muslim community in East London.

The trouble comes when you get people saying anti-muslim = racism how?

Well, Muslims come in all skin colours so you tell me why those who look visibly Muslim or brown tend to get attacked?

T-Rex.

Banned
There were 2 or 3 more acid attacks in London in the last week. In one of them the guy threw acid at a couple who had their 2 year old child with them.

It really is sickening.

Breakage

Acid attacks are on the up in London. I heard on the radio yesterday that there's already been 84 attacks in London in the last six months. The London borough of Newham always comes out on top.

Breakage

I don't think London is as safe as people make it out to be. I'm always amazed at the amount of blades that police regularly seize from people in my borough. I remember hearing an interview with a former Met Chief Inspector a few weeks ago where he said that London's streets have been lost in regard to knife crime. I tend to avoid getting into any kind of argument with a stranger because you just don't know what some people are walking around with these days. Knives and drain cleaners are so freely available. How do you stop people from using these things to cause great harm?...I don't know.

Theonik

You can't really, London is too populous to actually stamp that out but for what it's worth I feel pretty safe in London compared to other major cities I've lived in.

Zaph

So apparently this literally happens literally every fucking day in London with over 450 incidents last year alone?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-39328233

Jesus Christ, London sounds utterly terrifying. Stay safe British-GAF.

I don't think London is as safe as people make it out to be. I'm always amazed at the amount of blades that police regularly seize from people in my borough. I remember hearing an interview with a former Met Chief Inspector a few weeks ago where he said that London's streets have been lost in regard to knife crime. I tend to avoid getting into arguments with strangers because you just don't know what some people are walking around with these days. Knives and drain cleaners are so freely available. How do you stop people from using these things to cause great harm?...I don't know.

London is a massive metropolis. Yes, there's violent crime and innocent civilians are often caught up in it, but the knife and acid attack numbers are heavily skewed by gang violence.

I've lived here most of my life, and if you're an average joe, the chance of even encountering crime (let alone being the victim of it) is so low. The only thing that slightly worries me is riding a bicycle - the overall standard of our cycle lanes is still quite poor.

bionic77

I am surprised he has not been caught yet after they circulated his picture.

It's been more than a week since the attacks.

Breakage

London is a massive metropolis. Yes, there's violent crime and innocent civilians are often caught up in it, but the knife and acid attack numbers are heavily skewed by gang violence.

I've lived here most of my life, and if you're an average joe, the chance of even encountering crime (let alone being the victim of it) is so low. The only thing that slightly worries me is riding a bicycle - the overall standard of our cycle lanes is still quite poor.

I guess your view of London depends on which borough you live in. If you live in a pleasant borough, London's probably a great place. I live in the south, so I suppose that's why my opinion of the city is not so positive. I was looking at the Mail today and there's a video of a violent road rage incident in south-east London where one guy goes straight into a punching mode and the other guy takes off his belt in order to lash his opponent. They then proceed to fight like barbarians on a busy main road. This almost instant escalation to violence did not surprise me. These days it feels as if there's no intermediate point anymore; people just seem to resort to a violent solution straight away. I suspect it is because authority (ie the police) aren't feared like they used to be.

Jumeira

Banned
So it is a hate (racist) crime - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40535

She was beautiful, to take that away from someone, something that is provided to her by nature is unforgivable, my blood is boiling to see this piece of shit lowlife take THAT away from a bright, fun loving aspirational young woman, she's not only scarred he's taken away her ambition, her future prospects of finding her partner, he has condemned her to a life of physical and immense mental suffering. He then stayed and threw more acid at her passenger! He should have acid thrown at his face fuck him.

Worshippers getting run over, MPs being shot, acid bring thrown in the faces of people who are brown, this particular hatred is something I've not seen here before and really needs the same type of attention from police as terrorism, these criminals are going after the innocent people due to hateful political ideas, potentially just as dangerous.

Kittygirl

Ugh. Where I live, each facial tear represents a murder he committed.

Even if he hasn't murdered, yet, lock him up to protect random people from people like him.

bionic77

The attacker is still at large.

Would have hoped they had caught the asshole by now. Police gave out update pics on him 2 days ago.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
not sure about the rules on posting this, but shes got a gofundme if anyone is interested.

what a horrible fucking thing to happen.

edit:

has he been caught? apparently he turned himself in?

Ushay

not sure about the rules on posting this, but shes got a gofundme if anyone is interested.

edit:

Good, I hope he fucking rots. He's devastated two lives from what looks like a demented attempt to 'purify' the country he lives in, going by that barbaric crusader imagery he shared.

This shit makes me worried to even take my kids out of the house. Fucks sake.

cameron

It's been mentioned already that the suspect is in custody, but here's the reporting by The Guardian: Beckton acid attack suspect in custody after handing himself in
The chief suspect in an alleged acid attack on two cousins in east London has handed himself in to police.

John Tomlin, 24, has been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent after Jameel Mukhtar and Resham Khan were attacked while waiting at traffic lights in Beckton on 21 June.

Tomlin entered an east London police station on Sunday and remains in custody, Scotland Yard confirmed.

Both victims suffered life-changing injuries to the face and body and Mukhtar was initially placed in an induced coma.

The arrest comes after the Metropolitan police released fresh CCTV images of Tomlin on Friday as part of an appeal into his whereabouts. Police had initially ruled out a religious or racial motive for the crime, but reclassified the attack as a hate crime when new evidence came to light at the end of June.
Looking at previous acid attack cases in the UK, some GBH with intent convictions can carry "life" (25 years?) sentences, with a certain minimum years that must be served.

Sevenfold

knife and acid attack numbers are heavily skewed by gang violence.
I don't think that's the case anymore. There was a piece on London news last week about kids with knives and the kids they spoke to didn't seem to think it was a big deal to carry.

edit:

Yeah, he turned himself in. How the hell metro police couldn't capture this guy?

Sevenfold

Ugh. Five more attacks last night. Teen arrested. GBH seems inappropriate for this scum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40604002

One 32-year-old man on a moped was left with facial injuries after a moped, with two male riders, pulled up alongside him in Hackney at about 22:25 BST.
The pair threw a corrosive substance in the victim's face, say police, with one stealing his moped and the other driving away on the vehicle they arrived on.

Burt

Ugh. Five more attacks last night. Teen arrested. GBH seems inappropriate for this scum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40604002

This shit is abhorrent.

I'm generally predisposed posting driveby condemnation or RIP or ineffectual disgust

But jesus christ, this is some sub-human shit

Is there anything being done legally to combat this?

And - not that I'm trying to veer too far from the real into the hypothetical - but is there any confirmation about this being race/religion/hate crime-related? I did read earlier in this thread that people were using acid because carrying it is less of a legal liability, so while it doesn't make anything better, this not being another race/religion-based series of attacks would make them a different beast.

bionic77

It's been mentioned already that the suspect is in custody, but here's the reporting by The Guardian: Beckton acid attack suspect in custody after handing himself in

Looking at previous acid attack cases in the UK, some GBH with intent convictions can carry "life" (25 years?) sentences, with a certain minimum years that must be served.
He doesn't seem too remorseful.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/east-london-acid-attack-latest-updates-john-tomlin-court-suspect-smiles-blow-kisses-a7835776.html

I can't copy the text in the article because it is some horrible format or maybe intentional but apparently he was blowing kisses to his "well wishers".

Who the fuck would be cheering or encouraging this asshole?

Top Bottom