• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your most satisfying "hub" to come back to in a game

Lillie

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Most recent game that felt satisfying: Granblue Fantasy Relink. They nailed it with the two hub town tracks.

I already know I'll be feeling nostalgic about this game and these areas later in life.

As for older stuff, I guess here are three personal favorites:

Ascalon City, Guild Wars 1:

Chaotic Bar, PSO 1:

And Majula which others here have posted already.

Soodanim

Firelink Shrine (Dark Souls)

The reason the original Firelink Shrine is better than any of the hubs in later Souls games isn't just the music (which is superior to Majula and any other false idols you blasphemers pray to). Firelink Shrine is the only hub that isn't just a place you teleport back to instantly. You go off on adventures in this excellently designed spider web of a world and find yourself back home, which is when you first realise there is interconnectivity to this world. Then you go off on another adventure towards your second goal, this time for much longer, and somehow find yourself back home again after a long and ardous journey. Firelink actually feels like part of the world and a place you fight to get back to. Later games lose that because we're given powers that might as well have this sound effect:

Majula shares some properties, like picking branching paths, but there's too much teleporting to and from for it to have any impact. It's just a sea view and bearer seek seek lest.

Firelink Shrine in 3 is even less "in" the world, and you only get some intrigue later when you, through a hidden area, find yourself in a time shifted version of the Shrine. As much as 3's Shrine does eventually feel alive with some NPCs talking about each other, the teleporting takes away any impact it might have by always being accessible. You don't miss it because it never goes away. Same goes for Elden Ring, and at least they both have excellent smiths.

The Nexus (Demon's Souls)

The Nexus from Demon's Souls is the only one that rivals Firelink Shrine if not beats it, but with different strengths.

It shares some properties with 3 (because 3 modeled its hub on The Nexus) but it's better. It feels more alive by default as a result of its starting population, and it manages to feel both cosy and vast at the same time. By having only the bare minimum of safe places within the levels themselves (which are dangerous from the word go), The Nexus inherently has more value than in DS2 onwards because it feels like the only place you're actually safe. That's why the teleporting doesn't work against it, because it's a reward instead of a crutch. And, of course, there's this:

Last edited:

Puscifer

I don't have any screenshots. But Thief 2014 had an incredible hub even if the rest of the game wasn't so hot. Would've been awesome to have a Yakuza sized game with super detailed insides and level design

DelireMan7

Firelink Shrine in Dark Souls

I adore the melancholic yet welcoming music, the contrast of the blazing bonfire against the surrounding greenery and vine-covered ruins, the sight of massive tree branches stretching into the sky.

Dark-Souls-Firelink-Shrine-Characters-Who-Betray-You.jpg

Came to post this obviously.

This Hub is perfect. The music so melancholic and relaxing. Great NPCs.

Really feels like a safe place compared to the others areas (especially when in this game area have no music except for Firelink, and very few specific areas).
Coming back to it and hearing these strings is a blessing.

EDIT : I would say that every Soulsborne Hub is great in term of music and atmosphere (Dark Souls 3 is a bit a letdown for me. Have to make my mind of Elden ring.)

Last edited:
The reason the original Firelink Shrine is better than any of the hubs in later Souls games isn't just the music

Majula shares some properties, like picking branching paths, but there's too much teleporting to and from for it to have any impact. It's just a sea view and bearer seek seek lest.
But it is the music. Most of us Majula fans know the music is a big part of what brings everyone to list DS2 instead of DS1, which just goes to show the massive importance of music to a hub area. For many people, Majula had a nostalgic home-like feeling and I'd say 60% of it is because of the music.

Part of the reason why Code Vein stuck with me as one of my favorite soulslikes is because of it's soundtrack:

Now imagine if the composer who made this piece above did a better hub soundtrack than what was eventually chosen for Code Vein. More people would be bringing that game up in this topic instead of just one person and myself just now.

Edit: And they knew they had a hit with the above track, which is why they composed different variations of it depending on which character's tragic backstory you encountered.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Xbox series X dashboard, amazing, sometimes I have to backout of a first party Xbox game as I get so blown away it gets to much so I backout to the dashboard and relax with 1 of the amazing official dynamic Xbox backgrounds.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's a shame just how much they essentially neglect all the other cities.

Ironforge is and always will be the superior Alliance capital.

The biggest problem in vanilla/classic is that dragonslayer buff only pops in SW/Org. Even if you're not raiding it's a MASSIVE 2 hour buff, so you'd be foolish to miss it and it means I always just hang where I can possibly get it between questing.

Since everyone already said fromsoft/bethesda/bioware, I'm gonna say "the base you build in a farming/crafting game".
Also Tristram. Didn't crash 3 have a hub? And crash bash?

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It's Tanzia Port from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate(also in Tri?). The game multiplayer hub : ]
gaFqrwk.jpg

Last edited:

IAmRei

I can't believe nobody posted

And elden ring of course

Also, tbh, the little homes in forspoken have a great vibe once you get some cats. I like the music

edit: forgot ff16!!!

Hideaway is beautiful, often listen the ost as its quite relaxing

Bond007

Def major cities in Final Fantasy XI. By a far mile for me.
Runner up, the Tower in Destiny was/is good.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Limsa Lominsa hehe

I do like to stay in Grindania, Old Sharlayan or The Crystarium (this one especially for the theme):

For sure, Gridania and Old Sharlayan are much more beautiful, but Limsa is THE place to go for trading.

I always log in and out over there. Pretty much my homebase. Lol

Hero_Select

The biggest problem in vanilla/classic is that dragonslayer buff only pops in SW/Org. Even if you're not raiding it's a MASSIVE 2 hour buff, so you'd be foolish to miss it and it means I always just hang where I can possibly get it between questing.
ahhh yess

i just remember how packed Ironforge used to be and people initiating duels behind the pillar next to the bank XD

Top Bottom