• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREMATURE EJACULA-TON: PS3 delayed until November 2006 in Japan?

Mrbob

jamesinclair said:
I didnt see this posted...PSP Core Pak is coming to Amerika!

March 14, 2006 - At its PlayStation Business Briefing going on right now in Japan, Sony announced new packages and price points for its PlayStation portable.

For the US, a "base unit" release will be priced at $199 and will hit stores at the end of March. Presumably, this is a slightly scaled-down package that doesn't include headphones, the carrying case and so forth, mimicking the cheaper original Japanese release.

Europe will see a similar package for 199 Euros beginning on March 22nd, so mark your calendars. And for you folks over in Japan (or import lovers), a new white PSP SKU will hit shelves starting April 15th and retail for 19800 Yen (~$168 US).

Wow Sony taking charge on the PSP front too. Will be interesting to see how the lower pricepoint affects Japan hardware sales. :)

I was hoping they would offer the value pack for $199 in USA. Oh well.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Belfast said:
Is it REALLY that hard to understand? Most people thought that a November Japanese launch meant that the PS3 wouldn't come to the US until sometime in 2007. It's not that they're happy about a delay to November, necessarily, but that it will DEFINITELY be in the US before the holiday season.
Once 100% of their competitors announced world wide launches, it was obvious that they had to follow suit.

GhaleonEB

ThunderEmperor said:
free online service. there goes the neighbourhood

but will it actually work properly
For the BASIC service. Sony seems to really mean it when they said they were going to copy Live.

- Dev kit specs fix as of today
- 10.000.000 BD-ROMS manufacturing capability per month @ cost around same as 2-layer DVD
- Price will not be less than 50.000YEN

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
Japanese residents feel the "awwwwww..." the most, US'sers are in the same position, Eu'ers are the big winners. IF it all happens.

Well I'm in US, I don't feel "awwwww". I feel "YES, it's just what I expected/wanted."

gofreak said:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696056p1.html

OK, now i believe it.

"As part of the PlayStation Business Brief today in Tokyo, Ken Kutaragi confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will require the hard drive peripheral. In total, it will be 60GB big, be completely upgradeable, and support Linux OS. Additionally, the peripheral will act as a home server and allow users to store various forms of media to be pulled up elsewhere."

/passes out

This is the greatest machine of all time. Holy fuck.

985boi

junkwaffle said:
keneatsworld.jpg

damn...:lol

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
TheDuce22 said:
So what is the new PS3 info? It seems to be all stuff we allready knew. Unless I missed something or it isnt over yet.

EU and US get PS3 for Xmax 2006

6M units produced for 2006 is ~ triple the amount there are X360s to date, so supplies should be fairly plentyful unless demand is just crazy (possible)

All games on Blu-ray

PS1 and PS2 games upscaled to 1080p

HDMI 1.3 support (48-bit color)

60Gig HDD + Linux

Free online service

Tiktaalik

Basic could probably be something like no friends list and no stats tracking. People would get into multiplayer, and then they'd spend the money once all their friends start playing and they want to play together.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
"Once released, Sony will unleash one million units per month with a total of six million units in 2006 alone. Production numbers are higher for PS1 and PS2 in their initial years."

So... 6 million by 2006 - 1 million for december and possible -1 million for november (semantics), we end up with 4-5million for a global launch? Not bad Sony...

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
watching futurama twice, ok. watching family guy twice, no go. not even mairijuana is perking me up at this point. this was absurd. goodnight.

GhaleonEB

winston_pr said:
- Dev kit specs fix as of today
- 10.000.000 BD-ROMS manufacturing capability per month @ cost around same as 2-layer DVD
- Price will not be less than 50.000YEN
50,000.00 JPY Japan Yen = 425.607 USD

Yoboman

White Man said:
I think this is incorrect. Anyone with a partially functioning brain knew that there was no way they'd let the PS3 launch slip into 2007 in the US, especially after the disappointing PSP launch.
Didn't stop the Xbots from saying it would. But you're right, anyone with a partially functioning brain did expect something like this right?

Monorojo

Banned
Well, i told you so

Media tries to spin the conference into a doomsday scenerio but instead its a flawless victory for Sony on every level.

All doubters owned, now all we need is price.

Amir0x

Banned
I just don't understand how Microsoft let Sony come in and beat them at every single thing they pimped for an entire gen.

Only possible setbacks:

- Online sucks?
- Price?

xaosslug

gofreak said:

OK, now i believe it.

"As part of the PlayStation Business Brief today in Tokyo, Ken Kutaragi confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will require the hard drive peripheral. In total, it will be 60GB big, be completely upgradeable, and support Linux OS. Additionally, the peripheral will act as a home server and allow users to store various forms of media to be pulled up elsewhere."

/passes out

Cell storage? =-O

golem

good move on making br standard for games... it might be a bit pricey at first but the volume is sure to drive down br production costs eventually.

pilonv1

gofreak said:

OK, now i believe it.

/passes out

"Will require the hard drive peripheral" sounds like it's not included. And it "supports Linux" which sounds like it's not included too. So $399 + $??? hard drive then?

TheDuce22

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
EU and US get PS3 for Xmax 2006

6M units produced for 2006 is ~ triple the amount there are X360s to date, so supplies should be fairly plentyful unless demand is just crazy (possible)

All games on Blu-ray

PS1 and PS2 games upscaled to 1080p

HDMI 1.3 support (48-bit color)

60Gig HDD + Linux

Free online service

Ok, just making sure I didnt miss anything. Overcompensation FTW!

gofreak said:

OK, now i believe it.

/passes out

You forgot this:
IGNPS3 said:
Interestingly, Kutaragi didn't confirm if the system will actually ship with a hard drive or not -- just that it's required. It's semantics, we know, but we thought that it was worth pointing out.

Stay tuned.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
GashPrex said:
corrected

is any of this beyond the delay a suprise to any of you? really?

and why are people quoting some nonsensical price, nothing was announced.
There was nothing to correct since I didn't specify a region, well whatever.

White Man said:
I think this is incorrect. Anyone with a partially functioning brain knew that there was no way they'd let the PS3 launch slip into 2007 in the US, especially after the disappointing PSP launch.
I guess you missed their comments regarding their disdain for a worldwide launch.

Mrbob

GhaleonEB said:

Signs pointing towards a $399.99 USA pricepoint. With all that tech included (w/ hdd) I'll easily shell that out for a PS3 on day one.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Amir0x said:
I just don't understand how Microsoft let Sony come in and beat them at every single thing they pimped for an entire gen.

Only possible setbacks:

- Online sucks?
- Price?
Here's the thought, come november, 360 could be 50$ cheaper, have reached 90% backwards compatability and they might make basic online play free. They will also have a good library built up and an existing community. Nobody got beaten at anything yet. It's all in your hype endorphin loaded head so far. Ken is good at that.

bigfurb

White Man said:
See, that was your mistake. You're giving certain Gaffers here far too much credit. Just go back and read some of the earlier posts in this thread

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oh so PSP will be $200 for PSP alone. :lol

On the other hand, I totally see Nintendo announcing NSMB+DS Lite package for $150 now.

GhaleonEB said:
So maybe $399.99 is a more accurate launch price for the US then? I'll get it still, I guess $350 was too good to be true though.

pilonv1

Interestingly, Kutaragi didn't confirm if the system will actually ship with a hard drive or not -- just that it's required. It's semantics, we know, but we thought that it was worth pointing out.

If you're shipping with a hard drive why would you not state that? Sounds like we're headed for a new "tard" pack (hopefully I'm wrong).

Borys

Banned
HOLY FUCK

Doubters owned.
Haters owned.
Microsoft owned.
Xbots owned.

Sony wins the world.

Kutaragi is a mastermind.

Mrbob

Ahahah. Kuturagi had another wonderful quote at this conference!

Kuturagi-is-not-impressed-by-Xbox-360-2.jpg

"The Cell will be able to realize a 4-dimensional world"

Kuta-chan said:

「Cellは4次元の世界を実現できる。皆さんと夢を追いましょう」

"Cell realizes a four dimensional world. Let's chase this dream together"

Top Bottom