• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Rogue | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

ubisoft-anuncia-the-rogue-prince-of-persia-106223.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: The Rogue Prince of Persia
Platforms:
  • PC (May 27, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Evil Empire
Publisher: Ubisoft

Critic Reviews​

Gamersky - 细拉 - Chinese - 7.5 / 10
The Rogue Prince of Persia is undeniably a game of solid quality, but its current content is lacking. The innovative parkour mechanics bring a lot of fresh experience to the game, but they also require higher platforming skills from the player. The combat system is simplified compared to Dead Cells, but many aspects still need to be improved in terms of practicality. The game's biggest problem at the moment is the lack of roguelike progression elements.

Press Start - James Wood - 8 / 10
The Rogue Prince of Persia enters its Early Access stage with a little less punch than you might expect but Evil Empire's pedigree means the foundation is rock solid. Thanks to fluid and responsive movement and an overarching commitment to vibe, this is a prince with eyes set firmly on the crown.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 8.5 / 10
Even in its early state, The Rogue Prince of Persia masterfully blends the best of Prince of Persia and Dead Cells in a solid package offering a more involved narrative, excellent platforming, dynamic combat and a lot of death, as is tradition for a proper roguelite. While there's still a lot of work to be done, regarding content and balance, the game's strong core mechanics have the potential to make it one of the best Metroidvania roguelites ever made.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

That first review isn't very optimistic. What I loved about Dead Cells is that it had great progression system. It made me want to keep playing even though I'm not a fan of the roguelike genre (the only other big exception was Hades 1).

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
That first review isn't very optimistic. What I loved about Dead Cells is that it had great progression system. It made me want to keep playing even though I'm not a fan of the roguelike genre (the only other big exception was Hades 1).

The first review doesn't even make sense, roguelikes typically don't have meta-progression elements, roguelites do.

It's a completely valid critisicm of the game of its aiming to be a roguelite but if they are aiming for it to be a roguelike then that's just how the cookie crumbles.

That said, I agree in that if it doesn't have meta-progression elements then I'm not really interested to be honest.

I have a feeling this game won’t be the same day 365 as it is on day 1.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
First mod needs to be making the Prince not purple. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be fired.
False color can be interesting if its done well, Jojo used them all the time.
part-4.png

But here it not working which makes it looks weird in my opinion.

Grabbed it to support the franchise as always. Two games in one year is wild after nothing for like.. .12 years prior. I'm having a good time with it so far, game looks nice in motion and the OST is absolute fire. Gameplay is very much Prince of Persia x Dead Cells, the platforming is fun and the combat is pretty basic. Not a lot of surprises so far but it's fun.

But yeah, no idea why they decided to make everyone purple, that was a weird call.

Top Bottom