• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone |OT| Reiji & Xiaomu VS The World

cj_iwakura

bjTH47Z.png

Thanks to BlackJace for the banners!

Project_X_Zone_(JP).jpg

Release Data
US: 6/25/2013
EU: 7/4/2013
JP: 10/11/2012
E-Shop: Yes
Limited Edition for initial run? Sure, why not.
project_x_zone_limited_edition.jpg

Project X Zone is a fully
Japanese
voice-acted
cross-over strategy RPG pitting characters from just about every Capcom/Namco/Sega series you can
imagine against a ton of monsters and enemies from the same series.
Movement occurs on an SRPG-like grid, while battles play out in real-time combo-driven action RPG format.
If you've played Namco X Capcom and Super Robot Wars OG Saga Endless Frontier, you know exactly what you're getting into.
If not, well... there's a demo on the E-Shop. It's best you try it for yourself then ask for help if you're confused(which is totally understandable).

qMZ6m6a.png

The year is 20XX.

The world is in the middle of a silent chaos. Shadows lying behind the everyday life, an inhumane existence lurking within the darkness, a mysterious gate that links the present world and an alternate dimension.

However, as time passed by the society began to accept these irregular events as a part of their lives, with little knowledge of the existence of organizations and people that fight these irregularities.

The Kouryuji Family: a clan that worked behind shadows throughout history. The story begins when their valued treasure, the "Kyokaiseki (Border Stone)" is stolen by an unknown culprit.

Mii Kouryuji, assisted by the private eye Kogoro Tenzai, begins to search for the stolen treasure.

Who stole the stone? And what for what purpose? The thoughts and ambitions of various people, organizations, and mythical beings mingle and eventually the case becomes chaos of a grand scale.

The worlds of the past, future, and even dimensions become involved, thus their long, long journey is about to begin.

9KtxQ7L.png

LTWhMW7.png

Playable

7auVbX4.jpg

Mii Kouryuuji & Kogoro Tenzai (Protagonists)
A member of the Kouryuuji family and a private detective, on the hunt for the missing Border Stone.
rBzgpBu.jpg

Reiji & Xiaomu (From: Namco X Capcom [PS2])
The protagonists from Namco/Capcom's first crossover endeavor. Banpresto loves them, so they're in everything.
Fun fact: Xiaomu is roughly 18 times older than Reiji(600 years and some change), but they're still an item.
QIULULE.jpg

Haken Browning & Kaguya Nanbu (From: Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier [DS])
The protagonists from Banpresto's DS action RPG, also uses a battle system similar to NxC's, and is basically the precursor to PxZ's battle system.

Supports

qAXkyK7.jpg

Saya (From: Namco X Capcom)
The antagonist of NxC. Where Reiji & Xiaomu go, she inevitably follows.
Fun fact: She gave Reiji the scars on his forehead.
n8kOuLc.png

Sanger Zonvolt
(From: Super Robot Wars Original Generation)

The sword that cleaves heaven, this man and his equally badass mech have killing things down to a science.
Fun fact: Sanger is often capable of clearing an entire map solo in SRW.

jmB5xXo.png

Playable

21JQ0v9.jpg

Chris Redfield & Jill Valentine (From: Resident Evil)
Although they've been through many revisions, Chris and Jill appear in their Revelations outfits.
Fun fact: Neither of them appeared in Namco X Capcom. Characters from the Dead Aim spinoff did.
OIheLOr.jpg

Dimitri Maximoff(Darkstalkers) & Dante (Devil May Cry)
The immortal vampire and the killer of immortals(the OG version, thankfully).
Fun fact: Dimitri is one of the most powerful characters in NxC. Dante did not appear.
dDspeKj.jpg

Ken Masters & Ryu (Street Fighter)
Hopefully need no introduction.
Fun fact: Also NxC veterans, they operate as separate units there.
BJyhEVd.jpg

Chun-Li (Street Fighter) & Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
For whatever reason, the strongest woman in the world and the craziest succubus in existence unite.
Fun fact: Also NxC vets. Chun-Li operates solo, as does Morrigan.
AKbfhRD.jpg

Mega Man X & Zero (Mega Man X Series)
Just because Capcom ignores them doesn't mean Monolith will!
Fun fact: Although Zero was in Marvel VS Capcom 3, this is X's first appearance in a crossover(to my knowledge anyway).
S6VMBfv.jpg

Frank West (Dead Rising) & Hsien-Ko (Darkstalkers)
He's covered wars, you know. She runs China, by the way.
Fun fact: Hsien-Ko is the NxC vet, and was paired with the Dead Aim female protagonist.
G4F8WAw.jpg

Lady (Devil May Cry) & Arthur (Ghouls'n'Ghosts)
Skirt and boxers, the ultimate combo.
Fun fact: Arthur is another NxC vet, and quite overpowered there.
T40Q6WI.jpg

Batsu Ichimonji (Rival Schools) & Juri (Street Fighter IV)
Sadly, one of the few characters from RS that Capcom makes use of, paired with one of the craziest females from the SF line-up.
Fun fact: the only characters from RS to ever make appearances outside of the series are Batsu and Kyosuke. Poor Hinata.
(Hideo and Kyoko also appeared in Namco X Capcom, and are awesome.)

Supports

GMmuMx6.jpg

Tron Bonne (Mega Man Legends) & Princess Devilotte (Cyberbots)
They both command legions of robots, and are borderline insane. A perfect match!
Fun fact: Tron Bonne is playable in NxC. As she should be.

UuA5ZFs.png

Playable

byyUCIE.jpg

Yuri Lowell & Estellise Sidos Heurassian (Tales of Vesperia)
That makes two consoles they're localized on, and neither by Sony.
Fun fact: The playable Tales reps in NxC were from Destiny. I think.
HGUZGtc.jpg

Jin Kazama & Lin Xiaoyu (Tekken)
They play in 2D just fine, ask Capcom!
Fun fact: Jin was in NxC, but Xiaoyu was not.
X8V5COt.jpg

Kite & Black Rose (.hack)
It's not a new mainline game, but it'll do.
Fun fact: This is their first crossover appearance.
U8nzOzD.jpg

T-Elos & KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Monolith will use them as many times as they can.
Fun fact: Shion was in NxC along with Momo. Their XS1 appearances.
zU1vkGq.jpg

Soma Schicksal & Alisa Ilnichina Amiella (Gods Eater Burst)
Quite possibly the biggest weapons in this game, and that's saying something.
Fun fact: They're NPCs in the game they're from.

Supports

JXk3uld.png

Lindow Amamiya (Gods Eater Burst)
Fun fact: He wields a long blade, but it's not really that long.
wSzR7tx.jpg

Neneko (Yumeria)
Fun fact: This is the only game represented here I have never heard of.
eV2FRtI.jpg

Flynn (Tales of Vesperia) & Valkyrie (Legend of Valkyrie)
Fun fact: Valkyrie was in NxC as one amazing party member.
cjE4T25.jpg

Alisa Boskonovitch & Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
Fun fact: Heihachi is now perpetually young due to his former VA's tragic passing.

lRSISDC.png

Playable

Di8UVpj.jpg

Riela Marceris & Kurt Irving (Valkyria Chronicles III)
Sadly, this is the only official love you're liable to see Sega give them.
Fun fact: VC3 went back to a more mature tone after the heavy criticizing VC2 received for its light-hearted, academy-based plot.
nNwwruX.jpg

Sakura Shinguji & Ichiro Ogami (Sakura Wars)
Same as above.
Fun fact: The cast of Sakura Wars were recruited from live-action theater acting circles so their voices could sing as well as act.
Sr5qMXh.jpg

Erica Fontaine & Gemini Sunrise (Sakura Wars)
Representing the Paris and North America troupes, respectively.
Fun fact: Ohayo, Ohayo, Bonjour!
rVV5nS8.jpg

Pai Chan & Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
Their franchise may be on life-support, but they can still be cameos!
Fun fact: They also guest-star in DoA5 and Sonic All-Stars Racing for some odd reason.
hc8UHXP.jpg

Toma & Cyrille (Shining Force EXA)
Quite possibly representing the least-good game on this list.
Fun fact: There hasn't been a tradtional Shining Force game since the GBA remake of SF1.
86poMsX.jpg

Zephyr & Leanne (Resonance of Fate)
From the closest thing to a John Woo RPG you'll ever play.
Fun fact: I likely spent more hours customizing their outfits than I did beating the game.

Supports

wpnqIGL.jpg

Ulala (Space Channel 5) & John McClane Bruno Delinger (Dynamite Deka/Cop)
Respectively representing one of the best rhythm and beat'em'ups games ever made.
Fun facts: The lead singer of a pop band known as Dee-Lite attempted to sue Sega, claiming Ulala was a rip-off of her appearance. She lost.
Bruno appeared as John McClane in Die Hard Arcade.
I8zoP06.jpg

Bahn (Fighting Vipers)/Vashyron (Resonance of Fate)
One destroys outfits, the other has more forgotten lovers than stars in the sky.
Fun fact: Vashyron was going to be playable, but was deemed too distracting by the female PCs*.
*conjecture
Bkosy5J.jpg

Imca (Valkyria Chronicles 3)/Rikiya Busujima (Zombie Revenge)
Imca is a lead role in VC3, so she's been demoted a bit here.
Same for Rikiya from ZR.
Fun fact: I assumed Imca was from Gods Eater Burst at first. Not surprising.

1IkD2AG.png

Screens

SupportAttack_%282%29.jpg
FiveCharactersAttack_2_3_%282%29.jpg

Chat_after_battle1_%282%29.jpg
Event3_%282%29.jpg

Chat_before_battle1_%282%29.jpg
Ichiro_2.jpg

i9JArS6jhythd.gif

Videos

Opening

Extended Gameplay

c0BXqn0.jpg
kXeb3K8.jpg
ihNoUWT.jpg
u59t5tt.jpg
uJfMB3K.jpg

ReSbfte.jpg
TEJtHL1.jpg
kWdonCq.jpg
3GyGeWF.jpg
eGKszbb.jpg

lvpmOil.png
kaguya.png
xiaomu.png
haken.png

CHu6mUE.jpg
jnQRPTK.jpg
wKjStTB.jpg
BPcFsdS.jpg
klVcVTq.jpg

1BdK4ne.jpg
YK7hyjg.jpg
7hsmQfW.jpg
AX964Ll.jpg
ItXIrBQ.jpg

YuOzqli.png

Game Informer - 7.75/10.
Diehard Game Fan - Generally positive (unscored)
Nintendo Life - 8/10
RPG Gamer - 4/5
GameZone - 8/10
CineKatz - 8/10
ZTGD - 9/10
Hardcoregamer - 4/5

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Buying this game based on fanservice alone. The demo was pretty interesting (after finally understand how combat works. Not a big fan of the generic aliens that I saw in the demo though, possibly it will be explained in the game?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
This demo was a lot of fun. I'm not expecting anything good from the story, just a lot of fanservice and visually appealing combos. I played a lot of SRW:OG or whatever it was on DS, and had a good time with it.

I've got this pre-ordered.

cj_iwakura

Buying this game based on fanservice alone. The demo was pretty interesting (after finally understand how combat works. Not a big fan of the generic aliens that I saw in the demo though, possibly it will be explained in the game?

Probably. Some of them were from other games. The Morolians were from Space Channel 5, and I'm pretty sure the rest were Gnosis from Xenosaga.

The boss you fight is from Sakura Wars II.

TWILT

Banned
Nice OT, cj!

Had a lot of fun with the demo. I don't expect anything deep in terms of gameplay mechanics, but I'll enjoy it for the fanservice and my man Dante of course.

I already know to expect a middling at best SRPG that gets repetitive, but I'm buying this for the fanservice and character interations alone. Can't wait.

Fun fact: the only characters from RS to ever make appearances outside of the series are Batsu and Kyosuke. Poor Hinata.

I thought Hideo and the school nurse (Whose name currently escapes me) were in NxC?

Fun fact: The playable Tales reps in NxC were from Phantasia.

Wasn't that Destiny?

Seik

Banned
Oh shit, already? Time goes by so fast! D:

I'll pre-order it next week, I wanted to buy it via the FS E3 deal but it was out of stock. :(

Btw, great job OP!

I played a little bit of Namco X Capcom and enjoyed it. I have a feeling I'll enjoy this far better, not just because of the extra company either xD

Can't wait to get my Ulala on.

Videoneon

Subbed. Nice work cj_iwakura (and thanks BlackJace for the banner.) Will be there on day one. Can't wait for Sega to localize some of its games like Sakura Wars and VC3.

When will Mega Man X grace gaming again?

Ramune

In case you missed it, if you familiarize yourself with only one character from a game you've never heard of, Make it Erica Fontaine.

Erica.gif
Is <3
Erica_Nekogirl.gif

Another 3DS game to add to my growing backlog once I actually acquire a system to play these games on. How can I say no to Fanservice the Game?!

I knew there was a reason why Erica stood out in the demo so much...

Ha! Is that so? I lack a 3DS, so that's good to know! XD

rpmurphy

Excited for the release. I'll play it for the fanservice, hoping that Namco will someday create a new Valkyrie game...

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
( ´&#1079;`) Mii is the best

and Xiaomu

and Kaguya

Banpresto originals are always great

MechaX

As "meh" as the demo was, I'll probably end up buying this simply because of how rare a localization of this kind of game truly is. That, and I have to support Xenosaga/DMC characters in some way.

i had no clue what the fuck i was doing during battle in the demo but it was fun enough that i pre-ordered it

also OP you should put in there that the initial run (i guess?) comes as a limited edition version at no extra charge!

Danj

Definitely hyped for this game. Had it preordered on Amazon UK for a while now. 2 1/2 weeks to go!

EDIT:

i had no clue what the fuck i was doing during battle in the demo but it was fun enough that i pre-ordered it

also OP you should put in there that the initial run (i guess?) comes as a limited edition version at no extra charge!

Is that exclusive to the USA?

Videoneon

In case you missed it, if you familiarize yourself with only one character from a game you've never heard of, Make it Erica Fontaine.

I have that burned in my mind. I loved it when I first saw it; it was one of the first things that compelled me to give Sakura Wars a chance.

The scene where Erica wakes up Ohgami is awesome too, because she is oblivious and he is so...himself.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't like the demo that much. Will wait for impressions here. Nice OT as always cj.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Buying this because I loved Super Robot Wars OG Endless Frontier on DS.
whyyyyyyy can't Suzuka-hime be in this whyyyyyyyyy

Markun

Very nice OP, CJ. This will be the game that'll finally move my copy of FE Awakening out of the cartridge slot.
I downloaded New Leaf so yeah.

I can't wait to see how the original characters act in this game, more Reiji, Xiaomu, and Saya hijinks, and more Ulala.

Toad.T

Banned
Little annecdote: I went to preorder this at EB for the collector goodies and struck up a conversation with one of the employees. Paraphrased:
Me: It's weird that in a game with Sega, Capcom and Namco that they wouldn't have Sonic.
Him: Well they wanted the game to have real characters, not cartoons. I know Ryu's cartoonish, but he's not a cartoon.

The guys running that EB were great and totally chill, so I know they were joking.

Labrys

I'm so mixed on whether I want this or not. One one hand, it has Frank West. On the other hand, I don't know anything else about the game.
Downloading the demo now, though. Are the cutscenes voice acted?

Top Bottom