• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 style horror game Christmas Massacre is only coming to PlayStation because according to the dev, both Xbox and Nintendo won't allow it

I absolutely hate the graphical style and I did even when it was modern back in the 90's so I especially have no nostalgia whatsoever for it. The gameplay however looks really fun, honestly 😄

Might actually buy this, looks very different, super gory and creepy.

Davevil

mc-jugger-nuggets.gif

tommib

Anyone shitting on puppet combo games don’t know what they’re talking about. They’re one of the few devs that totally get VHS 80s horror and PS1 survival horror aesthetics. The soundtracks alone make the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

This is not your enemy, GAF.

They made one of my favourite games of the last years:

Anyone shitting on puppet combo games don’t know what they’re talking about. They’re one of the few devs that totally get VHS 80s horror and PS1 survival horror aesthetics. The soundtracks alone make the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

looks garbage, as you said straight to video 80s horror crap 🤣 If you enjoy that good on you.

The "Easter Ripper" 😆

Soodanim

Gold Member

That looks better than this thread's game, at least there's method to the madness and you can see that there's influence from various horror sources. It looks like there's a game there.

This Christmas one seems like one of those awful free games Dunkey used to do videos on to laugh at, except with less unintentional or intentional humour. You can't even laugh at it, it's just bad.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The developers nailed the look of a 32-bit console game, but other than that it’s just the shock value.

Actual “gameplay” looks straight out of a dumpster sitting outside an adult store.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

There is a Youtuber that plays alot of these style games too. I can see CoryXKenshin playing this, and he probably already has on PC.

Three

I can't say that I've ever played any of them but good for those that enjoy puppet combo's games.

Deerock71

I have this in my Switch backlog. So Nintendo allows this, but not Christmas Massacre? I'm pressin X for doubt.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I have this in my Switch backlog. So Nintendo allows this, but not Christmas Massacre? I'm pressin X for doubt.
You don't see the difference between escaping a killer and being a mass murderer? Or do you think he means they won't allow it because of its low fi gfx?
It's got the shitty prerendered backgrounds like the original resident evils! Nice touch
Huh? It doesn't. It's clearly real time 3D, just low res/fi, the camera doesn't stop moving in the trailer. This is what old school pre-rendered would look like:

I don't think it quite captures the look of PSX real time 3D, maybe more like an older PC game or something, with stable large areas & crowds at > 20 fps.

Deerock71 said:
You could replicate similar situations in GTA, if you so desired. I'm thinking they wanted to stir up Sony sales. False controversy, etc.
Could is different to being the whole point. That'd also arguably be playing GTA (or Hitman) "wrong" as it provides no benefit to the player, only negatives with the higher attention, inability to progress, etc., either way, it's a whole different argument because you don't want to admit being wrong.
Deerock71 said:
It's getting more free publicity by us talking about it on GAF than it will ever get by Steam reviews. I believe this is pablum, and you're being played like a fiddle. Like it's been said, Postal is sitting on the eShop right now.

[X] Doubt
And this is you doubling down and arguing a whole different thing, with yourself. Just admit your original take was wrong and idiotic, then you can move on, I've not at all commented on if this game has truthfully been barred from other platforms or not. I don't even care as much as you do, though other games not being barred doesn't mean this also wouldn't be so that's another dodgy take, but again, it's not what I replied to initially. Go back to your first comment and my reply rather than constantly deflect to completely off topic rants about me being played or whatever delusions you got.

Last edited:

Deerock71

You don't see the difference between escaping a killer and being a mass murderer? Or do you think he means they won't allow it because of its low fi gfx?
You could replicate similar situations in GTA, if you so desired. I'm thinking they wanted to stir up Sony sales. False controversy, etc.

*shrug* Looks like they have to lean hard in on the shock value to make up for damn near everything else. Being banned on the other platforms is the best thing to happen to this game for whipping up interest.

peronmls

This is entertainment for people who don’t play video games and enjoy shock value. I mean I wouldn’t want it on my platform either.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Sad is not coming to Nintendo switch
Yeah they even allowed Postal Redux on Switch, Xbox blocked it.

I always wonder why these fake "we care about censorship" websites like Niche Gamer exist when they never bring this up with Xbox. And I'm sure they won't mention this game and investigate the policies of why some violent games won't come to certain systems. Unless it's Sony, of course.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah they even allowed Postal Redux on Switch, Xbox blocked it.

I always wonder why these fake "we care about censorship" websites like Niche Gamer exist when they never bring this up with Xbox. And I'm sure they won't mention this game and investigate the policies of why some violent games won't come to certain systems. Unless it's Sony, of course.

They allow a piece of shit like Christmas Massacre, but they won't allow this in the US:
R.5ba19497c018dbaa1c186ea56660f551

Last edited:
Top Bottom