• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 games list & SPE usages

SamBa

Banned
Truespeed said:
I'd say so especially when you consider how little time it takes to achieve the result and it's totally GPU independent. The PS3 is the new AA king.

Well at least with regard to games console potential. MikeB a few years back wrote:

"Cell can even do a lot of stuff regarding potential aliasing issues as well, just look at Killzone 2 and things will even improve a lot along the road with regard to what developers will be able to achieve down the road smartly utilizing the Cell's potential."

Most were sceptical when MikeB brought up using the Cell for anti-aliasing in the past, but it all seems to pan out well at this point.

SamBa

Banned
Old quote:

> Please explain how cell is good doing AA resolve, with technical reasons, not with void words."

MikeB: Flexibility, there are different methods and approaches for doing AA (and the need for this also depends on rendering resolution, art direction and other lighting/color effects as well).

It seems Eurogamer/Digital Foundry has IMO gotten less biased with their articles, instead of writing meaningless comparisons of for example GTA IV's cutscenes running at 30 FPS on the 360 and hollywoodmovie-like 24 FPS on the PS3 (how meaningless when GTA IV looks better overall on the PS3 anyhow):

"The more flexible nature of the CPU means that while such tasks can be more computationally expensive, you get a higher-quality result. "

"In the case of God of War III, any given frame typically takes between 16ms and 30ms to render, give or take a millisecond or two. The original 2x multisampling AA solution took a big chunk of rendering time, at 5ms. Now, the hugely more impressive MLAA algorithm takes a total of 20ms of CPU time. However, it's running on five SPUs, meaning that overall latency is a mere 4ms. So the final result is actually faster, and that previous 5ms of GPU time can be repurposed for other tasks. "

"The God of War III engine excels in handling dynamic lighting, with up to 50 lights per game object. Helios' head (bottom right) is the most obvious example of the player directly interfacing with dynamic lighting."

"We can place lights in Maya and have them update in real-time in the game on the PS3, it's like being able to paint with lights. Lighting is a fast and a very enjoyable artistic process." "

"God of War III stands out in this regard simply because you don't tend to notice the shadows. They're realistic. The human eye is drawn to elements that stick out like a sore thumb, and that includes shadows.

The result is subtle and it works beautifully. As well as working with his team mates in helping to build the PS3 renderer from the ground up, Sony Santa Monica programmer Ben Diamand spent around three years gradually developing the deferred shadowing system employed in God of War III, that works beautifully in eliminating the artifacts and blending dynamically-generated shadows along with others that are pre-baked into the scenery."

The propaganda days are gone it seems:

"It's games like this, along with Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Killzone 2, that give the platform holder ownership of the bleeding edge of console gaming technology in the current generation."

From http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-making-of-god-of-war-iii?page=4

SamBa

Banned
SamBa said:
Personally I think good edge blurring or other specific edge anti-liasing methods in a high enough resolution should in many cases be the most beneficial for providing a game with sharp top quality graphics.

And that is exactly what s MLAA or morphological anti-aliasing does. :D

prettyvacant77 said:
You're quoting and agreeing with yourself buddy :lol :lol :lol :lol

Not only that but he's also lauding comments made under his former MikeB account.

SamBa - I've found your information tidbits interesting in the past and indeed much of what has been proffered in this thread has finally come to pass. So yes, the PS3 has now leapfrogged its competitor in the graphics department. However the last few pages have descended into a self-congratulating fanboy mire that wouldn't look out of place on IGN/Gamespot/Gametrailers forums. Can I plead with you that you tone it down slightly so that a) this thread doesn't get closed down and b) you don't get banned again?

manzo

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Not only that but he's also lauding comments made under his former MikeB account.

SamBa - I've found your information tidbits interesting in the past and indeed much of what has been proffered in this thread has finally come to pass. So yes, the PS3 has now leapfrogged its competitor in the graphics department. However the last few pages have descended into a self-congratulating fanboy mire that wouldn't look out of place on IGN/Gamespot/Gametrailers forums. Can I plead with you that you tone it down slightly so that a) this thread doesn't get closed down and b) you don't get banned again?

This thread has nothing to do with PS3 info anymore, it's more like an embarrassing mini-fanboy site.

ymmv

Banned
manzo said:
This thread has nothing to do with PS3 info anymore, it's more like an embarrassing mini-fanboy site.

MikeB/Samba should simply post interesting links about the PS3s hardware and refrain from commenting about other consoles/manufacturers. I always enjoy updates in this thread and I hate to see Mike get banned again because he couldn't keep his inner fanboy silent.

SamBa

Banned
Razgreez said:
He's just happy he's confirming his own previous thoughts. Let him enjoy it he's entitled to it

Thanks, I was just happy to be proven correct on this and other matters. I already was confident it was only a matter of time, but maybe most can't imagine the amount of insults I've gotten in the past for stating simple facts like stating the Cell's SPUs are interesting for performing anti-aliasing.

SamBa

Banned
SPU related quotes regarding stereoscopic 3D gaming:

Talking about future work for his department, Ian Bickerstaff reveals that the 2D plus depth system is being used by Sony Pictures for some of its movie projects, and that a good deal of work in implementing it on the PlayStation 3 is in progress within Sony. The ubiquitous SPUs once again reveal their magic bullet properties in overcoming a key technical challenge.

"Optimisation is a big problem with 3D images. With the movie industry they've been creating 3D films for quite a while and one of the techniques they use a lot is referred to as 'parallax from depth map' and the way this works is that you take your normal 2D image and you use the depth map as parallax look-up table to create the second eye image," explains Bickerstaff.

"At our studio we've been looking at doing this, with the left eye generated as normal and the right eye re-projected using the depth map. Basically it doesn't look too bad, it looks similar [to proper 3D]."

Ian then draws our attention to a 3D image of a spaceship in front of a mountain range. It does indeed look similar to a proper stereoscopic image, but there are some deficiencies in the image. Behind the spaceship we can see stretched textures - seemingly interpolating visual information made to fill in the gaps.

"That's there because it doesn't know what's behind the spaceship. It's basically back-filling the pixels there: large amounts of parallax create these gaps which you need to process separately," Bickerstaff says.

The problems in utilising this approach are very similar to those we saw in the TriOviz Batman effort. Effects that are not present in the depth buffer cannot be used for interpolation into a 3D image.

"Anything really subtle like transparency and reflections won't work with this approach, so what you need to do is combine it with existing 3D rendering techniques to use it properly," Bickerstaff suggests.

"Fortunately what you can do while you re-project your RGB values is that you can also re-project a new depth buffer as well and use that for your other rendering. We've been implementing it on the SPUs and found it takes around 3 per cent of total SPU time for a 1280x720 60Hz image. That isn't allowing for transfers between buffers and other things like that but it's not bad and certainly a big time-saver."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-making-of-ps3-3d-article?page=3

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Mr.Potato Head said:
There is a problem when there are too many "chiefs" and not enough indians..in this case..this site has too many biased moderators and not enough reasonable moderators i guess you can say. I've seen the same thing happen when someone talked down on wii in here..thank goodness this particular "nintendo" fanboy of a moderator no longer is a moderator.

I think the mods should keep moderatoring but at the same time.. maybe admins can moderate the mods a bit closer. There has been countless times when i seen good people in here get shafted big time all because some moderator went on a power trip and broke Gaf's own set of rules..and that is simply being a immature fanboy.

Dont get me wrong..gaf has a ton of members and im sure it gets hard on the staff but when good people get shafted because some moderator is a immature fanboy in the closet..its a sad day indeed in gaf.

QFT...

Though I don't agree with your tag link about Xbox360 having the best software line up. Maybe in 2008 when you posted that post... I own 360/PS3/PC with PC being the preferred platform if a given game comes out on all three since I have a GTX 470 now. I probably have a slight preference to PS3, I feel MS has been nasty in their public statements this generation.

My tag came from saying in a Super Mario Galaxy 2 thread that said game is not the reason why I game in response to someone saying "this game is why we play games" and referring to Wii as Whee (having fun Whee) as a lighthearted joke. I got jumped on, defended myself once then got the tag.

Sorry for the additional derail, I just see people being banned for long periods for times for very dumb reasons. Like Wollan, I miss Wollan. His preference was obviously the PS3 but he contributed a lot of useful threads and rarely did I see him being rude to anyone. Maybe I missed the post he was banned for but for this long?

Glad you found a way back MikeB. I haven't posted here since the Whee tag. This forum is better than most but the quoted text is definitely very true. People should be allowed to have a preference without being called a fanboy. It's only when you get blind with your preference and get emotional about it that it's a problem.

I hope this thread returns to the SPU information, sorry for the tangent. It's just affected a few good posters that contributed to this thread so I felt it was relevant.

Chrange

Banned
SamBa said:
Thanks, I was just happy to be proven correct on this and other matters. I already was confident it was only a matter of time, but maybe most can't imagine the amount of insults I've gotten in the past for stating simple facts like stating the Cell's SPUs are interesting for performing anti-aliasing.

So you're admitting to being a banned account :lol

Chrange

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
Not sure how you came to that conclusion from that quote.
He was responding to someone saying he was congratulating himself - as MikeB - being found to be 'right' about something. How is it unclear?

It's not like the guy's at all subtle about it. He's even spreading his 'wisdom' outside this thread now.

Edit - I have to say that it takes some real balls to evade a ban, start doing the same shit again, AND talk shit about moderators at the same time. :lol

Zoe

Chrange said:
He was responding to someone saying he was congratulating himself - as MikeB - being found to be 'right' about something. How is it unclear?

Actually, SamBa quoted SamBa.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Chrange said:
Oh, derrrr - I was reading through the last 10 pages. Still, it's not like it isn't obvious lol

I hope those horribly biased mods don't spot him. :lol

Maybe you should message one of them since you seem so concerned for his well being on this forum :lol

SamBa

Banned
Developers Shift To Leading On PS3

We speak to the world's leading devs to discover why the PS3 is taking over as the lead of choice...

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/682/developers-shift-to-leading-on-ps3?o=0#listing

Some snips:

"According to Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase, the challenge that the PS3 sets developers is an exciting one of just how far they can push themselves. “When you talk about graphics you can see immediately that the hardware of the PlayStation 3 offers a much higher capacity and is much more powerful,” he told NowGamer, comparing PS3 with Xbox 360. “With regards to designing the game everyone knew that the highest limit of what we could achieve graphically couldn’t be much higher. That made it difficult to set our target of where we should be reasonably happy or satisfied with what we had produced. Is our aim high enough or should we be going even higher?”

"BioWare’s Ray Muzyka insisted that the only way to approach the PS3 was to embrace its differences and then it would open up to you. “Well, you know every platform has its pros and cons and they’re all challenging in different ways,” he explained to us. “The interesting thing about approaching a new platform like PlayStation is that it’s very powerful and it’s just different from anything else. You have to embrace that and make sure that you’re fully aware of the technology differences and make use of all the strengths of the platform.”

"For Crytek, currently making Crysis 2 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, that meant a completely new engine and in places a new way of thinking. “Since we started developing CryEngine 3 we always knew it was going to be a cross-platform engine and so immediately started thinking about how to minimise the dedicated work for PS3 while still being able to run our codebase at full PS3 utilisation,” said Crytek’s lead PS3 programmer Michael Glück told NowGamer. “Therefore we developed a system in-house making the very different build and deployment process for PS3 as ‘PC like’ as possible to give all developers the feeling that it is not as complicated a platform to develop on as most people thought.”

"But like Crytek, Splash Damage needed to make the PS3 work for it a little, too, and once a hook was found that the development team could latch onto the whole system began to open up. “Because id Tech 4 was Mac compatible, there was some PowerPC code in there that we could utilise,” Ham revealed to NowGamer, referring to the id Software engine Splash Damage has been using since developing Enemy Territory: Quake Wars in 2007. “And since some of the Mac PPC code optimisations worked well for PS3, it gave us a little bit of a head start.”

“It’s amazing what developers have done so far, but we haven’t seen all that the PS3 is capable of,” said Richard Ham. “By comparison, just look at the last PlayStation generation. Shadow Of The Colossus came out near the end, and no one could have predicted such a thing of beauty in the early days of the PS2 life cycle. The same thing is true for PS3. Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 are incredible milestones, but there’s still more to squeeze out of the big black box!”

SamBa

Banned
The above is good news for everyone, for example remember older developer comments.

A developer which lead a project on the XBox 360:

"Secondly, the matters of multithreading policies, the whole job queue architecture, encapsulation of jobs and their corresponding data packets, etc. that work on the PS3 are indeed more than applicable of the 360/PC. And as I've mentioned before, they work better than anything and everything that Microsoft recommends (so far without exception for us)."

From this you can come to the conclusion:
- The developer thinks the development approaches Microsoft recommends, does not work [well] on the PS3.
- And the way the PS3 should be developed for makes sense in terms of performance on the PC/360 as well.

Mike Acton from a tech doc:

* It's not that complicated.
* Good data and good design works well on the SPUs (and will work well anywhere)‏
-Sometimes you can get away with bad design and bad data on other platforms
-...for now. Bad design will not survive this generation.
*Lots of opportunities for optimization.

Truespeed

SamBa said:
The above is good news for everyone, for example remember older developer comments.

A developer which lead a project on the XBox 360:

"Secondly, the matters of multithreading policies, the whole job queue architecture, encapsulation of jobs and their corresponding data packets, etc. that work on the PS3 are indeed more than applicable of the 360/PC. And as I've mentioned before, they work better than anything and everything that Microsoft recommends (so far without exception for us)."

From this you can come to the conclusion:
- The developer thinks the development approaches Microsoft recommends, does not work [well] on the PS3.
- And the way the PS3 should be developed for makes sense in terms of performance on the PC/360 as well.

It's in the best interest of Microsoft that the multi-platform developer adopt the recommended 360 development practices rather than implement a job queue architecture that's beneficial to all multi-core / multi-threaded systems.

Truespeed

A fascinating read on how Sony Santa Monica and the Sony ICE team implemented the AA on God of War III using the SPU's.

Cedric Perthuis (graphics programmer for God of War III) said:
“It was extremely expensive at first. The first not so naive SPU version, which was considered decent, was taking more than 120 ms, at which point, we had decided to pass on the technique. It quickly went down to 80 and then 60 ms when some kind of bottleneck was reached. Our worst scene remained at 60ms for a very long time, but simpler scenes got cheaper and cheaper. Finally, and after many breakthroughs and long hours from our technology teams, especially our technology team in Europe, we shipped with the cheapest scenes around 7 ms, the average Gow3 scene at 12 ms, and the most expensive scene at 20 ms.

In term of quality, the latest version is also significantly better than the initial 120+ ms version. It started with a quality way lower than your typical MSAA2x on more than half of the screen. It was equivalent on a good 25% and was already nicer on the rest. At that point we were only after speed, there could be a long post mortem, but it wasn’t immediately obvious that it would save us a lot of RSX time if any, so it would have been a no go if it hadn’t been optimized on the SPU. When it was clear that we were getting a nice RSX boost ( 2 to 3 ms at first, 6 or 7 ms in the shipped version ), we actually focused on evaluating if it was a valid option visually. Despite of any great performance gain, the team couldn’t compromise on quality, there was a pretty high level to reach to even consider the option. And as for the speed, the improvements on the quality front were dramatic. A few months before shipping, we finally reached a quality similar to MSAA2x on almost the entire screen, and a few weeks later, all the pixelated edges disappeared and the quality became significantly higher than MSAA2x or even MSAA4x on all our still shots, without any exception. In motion it became globally better too, few minor issues remained which just can’t be solved without sub-pixel sampling.

There would be a lot to say about the integration of the technique in the engine and what we did to avoid adding any latency. Contrarily to what I have read on few forums, we are not firing the SPUs at the end of the frame and then wait for the results the next frame. We couldn’t afford to add any significant latency. For this kind of game, gameplay is first, then quality, then framerate. We had the same issue with vsync, we had to come up with ways to use the existing latency. So instead of waiting for the results next frame, we are using the SPUs as parallel coprocessors of the RSX and we use the time we would have spent on the RSX to start the next frame. With 3 ms or 4 ms of SPU latency at most, we are faster than the original 6ms of RSX time we saved. In the end it’s probably a wash in term of latency due to some SPU scheduling consideration. We had to make sure we could kick off the jobs as soon as the RSX was done with the frame, and likewise, when the SPU are done, we need the RSX to pick up where it left and finish the frame. Integrating the technique without adding any latency was really a major task, it involved almost half of the team, and a lot of SPU optimization was required very late in the game.”

“For a long time we worked with a reference code, algorithm changes were made in the reference code and in parallel the optimized code was being optimized further. the optimized version never deviated from the reference code. I assume that doing any kind of cheap approximation would prevent any changes to the algorithm. There’s a point though, where the team got such a good grip of the optimized version that the slow reference code wasn’t useful anymore and got removed. We tweaked some values, made few major changes to the edge detection code and did a lot of testing. I can’t stress it enough. every iteration was carefully checked and evaluated.”

SamBa

Banned
Truespeed said:
It's in the best interest of Microsoft that the multi-platform developer adopt the recommended 360 development practices rather than implement a job queue architecture that's beneficial to all multi-core / multi-threaded systems.

Short term maybe with regard to XBox sales, but long term I think it's better for everyone. The transition to a future XBox and future Windows PC gaming hardware will be smoother and yield better results.

AndyD

aka andydumi
SamBa said:
Short term maybe with regard to XBox sales, but long term I think it's better for everyone. The transition to a future XBox and future Windows PC gaming hardware will be smoother and yield better results.

Right.

I think he meant MS is interested in getting devs to use MS recommended guidelines which work on Xbox and nowhere else, so the games end up better on Xbox and devs give up on other platforms. Plus MS keeps having game quality advantage as it did early on.

Devs are learning that its not a healthy approach long term or short term. If they approach it the other way, they can get the same results on Xbox as well as good results on the other platforms.

As gamers, certainly the second approach is better. Because it gives more avenues for games to come out and the games are similar if not identical across all platforms.

Truespeed

SamBa said:

It's really not about the short term, but rather doing what you think is best for your product regardless of the impact it has to other platforms. Just as Microsoft wants you to use .NET rather than Java.

SamBa

Banned
Truespeed said:
It's really not about the short term, but rather doing what you think is best for your product regardless of the impact it has to other platforms. Just as Microsoft wants you to use .NET rather than Java.

I know what you guys mean. Microsoft would love game developers be dependent on Microsoft, middleware solutions they are in control of or are only supported by their platforms, like for example XNA. Historically they have shown they don't care about offering a superior solution unless they have to compete.

For example DirectX vs OpenGL and other open market adopted standards. I know some devs which had to go through hell to port DirectX games to other platforms. At least the end result was far more efficient (running better on the target hardware than those games ran on even higher specced PCs) despite the headaches.

Truespeed

SamBa said:
I know what you guys mean. Microsoft would love game developers be dependent on Microsoft, middleware solutions they are in control of or are only supported by their platforms, like for example XNA. Historically they have shown they don't care about offering a superior solution unless they have to compete.

For example DirectX vs OpenGL and other open market adopted standards. I know some devs which had to go through hell to port DirectX games to other platforms. At least the end result was far more efficient (running better on the target hardware than those games ran on even higher specced PCs) despite the headaches.

Yes, DirectX is one of the most egregious examples of platform lock in. The portability of games would have been so much easier had they just accepted OpenGL. But, once again, that would be counter to their objective.

The thing about MLAA ( going by GOW3) is, yes it looks great when nothing is moving, but as soon as there is movement you can still see some jaggies, or maybe this is some sort of aliasing that the MLAA doesn't cover?

I think it will look great on a game like LBP series.

SamBa

Banned
flipswitch said:
The thing about MLAA ( going by GOW3) is, yes it looks great when nothing is moving, but as soon as there is movement you can still see some jaggies, or maybe this is some sort of aliasing that the MLAA doesn't cover?

I think it will look great on a game like LBP series.

The MLAA approach in God of War 3 was already greatly improved compared to past MLAA efforts. In general it works far superior compared to other AA methods out there. It does not degrade image quality of other graphics (causing problems) and far more specifically removes aliasing problems where they it's truly needed (on the edges).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I wonder if MLAA can be easily implemented in multiplatform games which use 2x or 4xAA on the 360. Going by Saboteur I'd say yes, but then again I do wonder if it's really something you can add easily.

Schrade

Tisan said:
Just wanted to say thanks for the info SamBa. Having these snippets collated is much appreciated, as I find this stuff interesting :)
I agree that this thread rocks. It's nice to see how the unique approach that Sony took with the Cell is really paying off after people finally came up to speed.

Schrade

makingmusic476 said:
I want to see it in Killzone 3. Quincunx AA was the one weak link in Killzone 2's overall graphical package, imo.
Oh, it's coming for sure. The God of War devs stated in one of their interviews that it was the Sony Europe team that helped them with the MLAA in GOW3. That has got to mean Guerilla Games :)

makingmusic476 said:
I want to see it in Killzone 3. Quincunx AA was the one weak link in Killzone 2's overall graphical package, imo.

QAA worked beautifully in Killzone 2, though. It's gives smoother edges than 2xMSAA and worked well with the level of post-fx work the game uses extensively. They fair better either going MLAA or don't bother touching MSAA with the graphics they are going for and stick with QAA.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
HomerSimpson-Man said:
QAA worked beautifully in Killzone 2, though. It's gives smoother edges than 2xMSAA and worked well with the level of post-fx work the game uses extensively. They fair better either going MLAA or don't bother touching MSAA with the graphics they are going for and stick with QAA.
I agree that QAA worked fantastically in KZ2, but there are you can tell that the textures are being blurred a bit by it. MLAA would edges even smoother and allow for sharper textures as well.

KillerAJD

Schrade said:
Oh, it's coming for sure. The God of War devs stated in one of their interviews that it was the Sony Europe team that helped them with the MLAA in GOW3. That has got to mean Guerilla Games :)
Could be Evolution Studios as well :p Hell, it could be one of many European studios Sony has. Regardless, I have a feeling it will definitely be part of many Sony games from now on. It seems to be too perfect for it not to be.

KillerAJD said:
Could be Evolution Studios as well :p Hell, it could be one of many European studios Sony has. Regardless, I have a feeling it will definitely be part of many Sony games from now on. It seems to be too perfect for it not to be.

The smoother edges than QAA, the sharper detail of MSAA, but with better performance to be had. It's all win-win!

Schrade

KillerAJD said:
Think of what first party Sony Studio is known for post processing and graphics excellence. Yeah, that'd be Guerilla. They are seriously into the tech.

RoboPlato said:
I agree that QAA worked fantastically in KZ2, but there are you can tell that the textures are being blurred a bit by it. MLAA would edges even smoother and allow for sharper textures as well.
That was my only issue with it.

Schrade said:
Think of what first party Sony Studio is known for post processing and graphics excellence. Yeah, that'd be Guerilla. They are seriously into the tech.
And neither MotorStorm made good use of AA, imo. Hopefully they get on the MLAA bandwagon with MS3.

Truespeed

Why is everyone still calling it MLAA? Wasn't that DF guess debunked some time ago? A better description I've seen is SSAA (Screen Space AA) or just even SPU AA.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Truespeed said:
Why is everyone still calling it MLAA? Wasn't that DF guess debunked some time ago? A better description I've seen is SSAA (Screen Space AA) or just even SPU AA.
Technically yes. It's MLAA for now :p

Afrikan

Lagspike_exe said:
Let's hope that MLAA gets implemented in more and more SCE WWS games. :)

you know when SolidSnakex broke the news to me about StarHawk maybe using MLAA.....and I got kind of excited to say the least.....

but Warhawk already had great AA, imo.....for its time.

now Motorstorm on the other hand....oh man, just thinking how more beautiful Pacific Rift could have looked with MLAA or excuse me SPUAA....just blows my mind.

doesn't the size of the object need to be big enough for MLAA to work effectively? or was it just Saboteur doing the basic and that the wires from the powerline just didn't work out so well. (i think it was powerline from eurogamer article)

Top Bottom