• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 games list & SPE usages

squicken

How do I miss this thread's resurrection? And thank the Lord an all new poster has taken up MikeB's life's work. Pointing out all his past successes brought a tear to my eye.

SamBa

Banned
CellTV from Toshiba:

toshiba-ces20100133.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/live-from-toshibas-ces-press-event/

RavenFox

Banned
I wonder how much processing power GT5 is using. Hope to see some info on that. That game is just ridiculously good looking and now with the latest info those chips seem to be in overdrive.

Gravijah

RavenFox said:
I wonder how much processing power GT5 is using. Hope to see some info on that. That game is just ridiculously good looking and now with the latest info those chips seem to be in overdrive.

GT5 has an emulated Super-FX chip on the blu ray disc to make the game look so awesome.

spwolf

RavenFox said:

it is using 100% of processing power of course... what you are asking is how optimized it is, and that, we will never know ;-)

RavenFox said:

Yamauchi said they're at the very limits of the PS3, but he thinks there is still headroom for improvement.

SamBa

Banned
An interview with Housemarque regarding the stereoscopic version of Super Stardust HD:

"That was of course just the beginning: after that we had to optimise a lot, as we now had 8.3ms instead of 16.7ms to render a frame. Luckily we had 50 per cent of the SPU power left, so we tapped into that. The current version of the game heavily pre-processes the data that goes to RSX to make sure it can chew through it as quickly as possible."

"For SSHD it was mainly drawcalls and polygons - we have lots of objects with lots of polygons and massive particle effects. I solved the issue by moving vertex processing from GPU to SPU and merging as many objects as possible to one drawcall. Previously every asteroid chunk and every enemy was in a separate drawcall; in the stereo version they go out in a few fell swoops."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/super-stardust-3d-720p120-confirmed-article

elohel

SamBa said:
An interview with Housemarque regarding the stereoscopic version of Super Stardust HD:

"That was of course just the beginning: after that we had to optimise a lot, as we now had 8.3ms instead of 16.7ms to render a frame. Luckily we had 50 per cent of the SPU power left, so we tapped into that. The current version of the game heavily pre-processes the data that goes to RSX to make sure it can chew through it as quickly as possible."

"For SSHD it was mainly drawcalls and polygons - we have lots of objects with lots of polygons and massive particle effects. I solved the issue by moving vertex processing from GPU to SPU and merging as many objects as possible to one drawcall. Previously every asteroid chunk and every enemy was in a separate drawcall; in the stereo version they go out in a few fell swoops."

oh snnap

so it is possible to completely free up some GPU resources by having the SPUs draw polygons?

SamBa said:

this is interesting for the 3D debate on how it's being rendered on ps3, a 8.3ms frame means 120 fps, isn't it?

is it possible for the game to stay fullHD and up the the framerate?

Raist

Banned
°°ToMmY°° said:
this is interesting for the 3D debate on how it's being rendered on ps3, a 8.3ms frame means 120 fps, isn't it?

Well if it's still 1080p I guess Sony should call Kutaragi back :p

SamBa

Banned
°°ToMmY°° said:

The article says full 720p at 120 FPS.

Currently already an amazing game considering the insane amount of onscreen activity and effects at insane speeds with later difficulty levels.

RavenFox

Banned
SamBa said:
The article says full 720p at 120 FPS.

Currently already an amazing game considering the insane amount of onscreen activity and effects at insane speeds with later difficulty levels.
Damn 120fps trophy unlocked with Kutaragi on the side.

°°ToMmY°° said:

Doesnt that mean its rendering two images, each rendering at 60fps, to produce the 3D stereoscope?

spwolf

indeed, it seems they managed to double the fps with engine optimizations and moving things to spu... and SSHD already looked good. thats just crazy.

theBishop

Banned
spwolf said:
indeed, it seems they managed to double the fps with engine optimizations and moving things to spu... and SSHD already looked good. thats just crazy.

I keep thinking of that scene in Avatar where they're looking at a 3D MRI of Jake's brain spinning in front of them... If that's what the planet looks like in Super Stardust 3D, I got wood.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So basically it would run (in 3D) just like the current version, but at 720p top, rather than 1080p right?

Jtrizzy

yes. It will render a 720p image for each eye at 60 fps. I was reading the articles, and IIRC he (guy from Housemarque) said that they had 50% of the SPU left to increase the frame rate to 120. Are they only able to do this because Stardust isn't a full on game like Uncharted, batman etc etc? If couldn't tell I'm just a wanna be tech guy :D

MGR

To be honest I'm slightly disappointed the so called 'magical 3d firmware' just seems to be taking advantage of the additional bandwidth of HDMI 1.4. Still up to game devs to somehow try and double the framerate or halve the resolution of current games to make them 3D capable.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
elohel said:
oh snnap

so it is possible to completely free up some GPU resources by having the SPUs draw polygons?

It has been since the beginning and Sony showed several tech demos drawing a lot of polygons on the SPUs alone. That's why when people say "PS3 is basically only capable of what a GT7800 is capable of" they are wrong. It's more complicated than that.

spwolf

MGR said:
To be honest I'm slightly disappointed the so called 'magical 3d firmware' just seems to be taking advantage of the additional bandwidth of HDMI 1.4. Still up to game devs to somehow try and double the framerate or halve the resolution of current games to make them 3D capable.

imagine if there was an switch you could flick and get double the fps on any game... :lol

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
MGR said:

I'll take 30fps on each eye over 60fps in non-3D any day. The effect is just that impressive.

But also, I am not sure why you are disappointed. That's how "3D" works. When you work on a 3D movie you have to render two frames for every frame (one for each eye). That's what doing all the visual FX on Avatar was like. There's nothing a firmware update could do to get rid of that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MGR said:

it can't be, because PS3s don't have HDMI 1.4

TTP said:
So basically it would run (in 3D) just like the current version, but at 720p top, rather than 1080p right?

It never was actual 1080p, but 1280x1080 at most. 720p120 now sounds like they reached a milestone.

RavenFox said:
Damn 120fps trophy unlocked with Kutaragi on the side.

Someone please post a trophy notification with Kutaragi's smiling/laughing face :D (I couldn't find a decent generator :-( )

patsu

MGR said:

Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_1.4
HDMI 1.3 has the same bandwidth as HDMI 1.4. The latter adds tags to mark 3D content.

leehom

SamBa said:
some moderators are quite extreme and biased around here, MikeB got banned for preferring the PSN over XBox Live (free online gamig for everyone, dedicated servers together with awesome exclusive PSN games like Warhawk, no really liking XNE [like most NeoGaf members it seems], etc.)
truth.

btw, cool thread..it's interesting reading about these kind of things.

SamBa

Banned
"The console’s price-to-performance ratio inspired one Air Force research team to place an order for 1,700 of them to go with the 336 they already have.

The brains behind the Air Force Research Laboratory in Rome, N.Y., are clustering the consoles, along with some off-the-shelf graphic processing units, to create a supercomputer nearly 100,000 times faster than high-end computer processors sold today."

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=140&article=67550

SamBa

Banned
More details with regard to anti-aliasing on the Cell's SPUs, now regarding God of War 3:

http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/more-on-god-of-war-iii-antialiasing/

A snip: "Contrarily to what I have read on few forums, we are not firing the SPUs at the end of the frame and then wait for the results the next frame. We couldn’t afford to add any significant latency. For this kind of game, gameplay is first, then quality, then framerate. We had the same issue with vsync, we had to come up with ways to use the existing latency. So instead of waiting for the results next frame, we are using the SPUs as parallel coprocessors of the RSX and we use the time we would have spent on the RSX to start the next frame. With 3 ms or 4 ms of SPU latency at most, we are faster than the original 6ms of RSX time we saved."

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
SamBa said:
More details with regard to anti-aliasing on the Cell's SPUs, now regarding God of War 3:

http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/more-on-god-of-war-iii-antialiasing/

A snip: "Contrarily to what I have read on few forums, we are not firing the SPUs at the end of the frame and then wait for the results the next frame. We couldn’t afford to add any significant latency. For this kind of game, gameplay is first, then quality, then framerate. We had the same issue with vsync, we had to come up with ways to use the existing latency. So instead of waiting for the results next frame, we are using the SPUs as parallel coprocessors of the RSX and we use the time we would have spent on the RSX to start the next frame. With 3 ms or 4 ms of SPU latency at most, we are faster than the original 6ms of RSX time we saved."
It's really interesting reading about this! I was really amazed with GoW3's outstanding graphics in the gameplay, so it's a treat to read on the process of optimizing the game to reach that point.

Massa

SamBa said:
Crysis 2 PS3 'performs better than 360 version'
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242728?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Doubt they did much optimizing for Blu-Ray capacity/streaming though. And likely they will be able to do much more on the platform with future low level OS / game engine optimizations for the eight 3.2 Ghz processors inside the PS3.

Nice to read coming from a highly acclaimed PC developer using a multi-platform engine.

Crysis 2 isn't finished yet.

SamBa

Banned
Massa said:
Crysis 2 isn't finished yet.

Of course it's possible to make further improvements.

But to optimize for Blu-Ray/capacity streaming I don't think the PS3 version will ship with higher quality / more varierty assets than the PC version, or they will have to make it a multi-DVD game.

Also I think they won't develop the game around the capabilties of the Cell processor per se. You can't have one version of the game with for instance much more onscreen activity than the 360 is capable of, such things would alter the core game a lot between different versions.

SamBa said:
Of course it's possible to make further improvements.

But to optimize for Blu-Ray/capacity streaming I don't think the PS3 version will ship with higher quality / more varierty assets than the PC version, or they will have to make it a multi-DVD game.
Now that's just nonsense... Don't forget that everything on the PC 9GB DVD will be heavily compressed. It won't on a bluray.

SamBa

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Now that's just nonsense... Don't forget that everything on the PC 9GB DVD will be heavily compressed. It won't on a bluray.

But most on Blu-Ray is at least as well compressed as well. It just makes more sense as the Cell can decompress the data faster than the Blu-Ray drive could read and is great for that.

XBox 360 DVDs can only hold 6.8 GB of game data, likely it's optimised for that.

SamBa said:
But most on Blu-Ray is at least as well compressed as well. It just makes more sense as the Cell can decompress the data faster than the Blu-Ray drive could read and is great for that.

XBox 360 DVDs can only hold 6.8 GB of game data, likely it's optimised for that.

No, it really isn't. Compressed textures aren't the same as compressing everything in cab files for installation.

And why are you talking about Xbox 360 now when we we're talking about the PC version?

SamBa

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
No, it really isn't. Compressed textures aren't the same as compressing everything in cab files for installation.

And why are you talking about Xbox 360 now when we we're talking about the PC version?

Because it's the platform with the lowest capacity for storage. This is a multi-platform game also on the XBox 360.

A downgraded Cell can for instance decode 48 MPEG-2 streams simultaneously as demonstrated by Toshiba.

Of course regarding lossy formats it may make more sense to choose lossless formats on the PS3 vs PC.

spwolf

SamBa said:

none of the consoles have problem with playback of compressed videos, so it does not matter that PS3 can decompress them fast, you can not gain better compression like that.

so all of them are compressed, some just have higher bandwidth/resolution/quality for the codec.

SamBa

Banned
An older quote with regard to Heavy Rain:

"I think this game can only be done on Playstation 3, We used all the SPUs.

I think to do the visuals, and all the stuff we’re doing would be too difficult [on the 360]. There are amazing physics there, and stuff with crowds that you just couldn’t really get."

Of course they also stated:

“You need to keep in mind that Heavy Rain is our first title on PS3,”

“It’s not the second or third generation of games on the same platform. We’ve just discovered the platform right now. So yeah, there’s plenty of room for improvement I’m sure.

“At Quantic Dream we know we can do much better than what we do here.”

Old PS3 tech demo (Most seemed sceptical at the time):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9QbYWEd7AE

Top Bottom