• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold more games than Xbox Series X in Europe last year

Pelta88

“That's according to sales data from GSD (via GamesIndustry.biz), which reports physical media sales across major European markets. In total, more PS4 games were sold throughout the whole of 2023 than games for the Xbox Series X console were sold in the same period.”

Source Data: This is based on GSD data, which tracks all physical game sales across major European markets, and digital sales from most major games publishers across every country in Europe.

Not like this.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Xbox fans on GAF sitting in the trenches, watching the never ending warfare against their platform.

scared war GIF

jm89

Tbh it's not shocking.

There are probably around 25 million or so x series consoles out in the wild, most of that will be in the USA and smaller portion in Europe.

There are possibly 50-60 million+ ps4s users who haven't converted to ps5 and europe will have a big chunk of that ps4 marketshare.

Add that up there are probably more active ps4s then series consoles in europe and it's pretty much expected.

Last edited:

Woopah

It's not a great look, but also not too shocking given:
  • The huge difference in userbase
  • Its physical only

diffusionx

Gold Member
Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

This again? Xbox is doing badly, we know this already. We also already know digital makes up by far the largest part of their sales. No need to make up some narrative.
I've seen no evidence that the sales of digital and physical are not highly correlated.

onQ123

Something something dying brand something something Gamepass ,

Something something PS4 & Switch being the competition

3IKdbjr.png

MtfRZTM.png

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
What do people hope stories/stats/headlines/numbers/posts will achieve with posts like this?
Are Xbox fans supposed to see this and suddenly question their platform choice? Are you hoping to hasten the decline of the brand? I was going to play Forza Horizon today but you're right, fuck xbox. Is that what you people want to hear?
The people who play on xbox dont care about this crap. This, and shitty replies do nothing but fuel console wars and it feels like a desperate attempt to pat yourself on the back to justify your own biases. These replies are nothing more than a group self-suck/circle jerk.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
“That's according to sales data from GSD (via GamesIndustry.biz), which reports physical media sales across major European markets. In total, more PS4 games were sold throughout the whole of 2023 than games for the Xbox Series X console were sold in the same period.”

You mean the console that does up to 80% sales digitally is recorded selling less physical only media?

Season 5 What GIF by The Office

Mr Moose

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

This again? Xbox is doing badly, we know this already. We also already know digital makes up by far the largest part of their sales. No need to make up some narrative.
This is based on GSD data, which tracks all physical game sales across major European markets, and digital sales from most major games publishers across every country in Europe.
Not sure how they missed it's physical and digital.
PHYSICAL.....

It's both.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Something something dying brand something something Gamepass ,

Something something PS4 & Switch being the competition

3IKdbjr.png

MtfRZTM.png

Three

Not sure how they missed it's physical and digital.

It's both.
They only copy pasted the first part from the original source article to explain what GSD is and missed the part that says it includes digital too.

"This is based on GSD data, which tracks all physical game sales across major European markets, and digital sales from most major games publishers across every country in Europe."

Can't sell games with no consoles sold. Xbox sells very little in Europe and has a small install base.
Which is crazy knowing the OG Xbox and 360 sold like Hasj brownies here in the Netherlands.
But the Xbox One never got a decent footing here. It's been in decline ever since.

Last edited:
It's a last gen system, There more poor's than are folks who have shelled out for an XSX to be expected. Basic economics right here. LOL

It's a last gen system, There more poor's than are folks who have shelled out for an XSX to be expected. Basic economics right here. LOL
You forgot the fact that PS5 is skyrocketing? Basic economics is apparantly something you need to work on here. LOL

It has zip, zero, ziltch to do with economics but with the Xbox ecosystem. Which is lacking BIGTIME.

Basic economics my furry ass.....
Good thing you're not my accountant or I'd be too poor to buy new hardware.

Ken Jeong Burn GIF by Crave

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The PS5 usually outsells the PS4 by a wide margin in games though.

Also, I have a hard time believing this if it's both physical and digital. Usually, when we see platform breakdown, PS5 is first, PC is second, Xbox is third, and PS4 is practically irrelevant. PS4 for instance represented only 9% of Elden Ring's sales.

Hogwarts Legacy, the best-selling game of 2023 also didn't come to the last-gen consoles until later. There are also some decently successful titles such as Remnant II, Lords of the Fallen, Dead Space remake, and a few others that didn't even make it to the PS4.

I struggle to see what major games the PS4 had besides God of War Ragnarok that made it outsell the Series X.

You forgot the fact that PS5 is skyrocketing? Basic economics is apparantly something you need to work on here. LOL

It has zip, zero, ziltch to do with economics but with the Xbox ecosystem. Which is lacking BIGTIME.

Basic economics my furry ass.....
Good thing you're not my accountant or I'd be too poor to buy new hardware.

Ken Jeong Burn GIF by Crave
My mistake, Just that OP didn't include any mention of PS5 in the post was just doing comparison based on PS4 software sales to XSX?

SkylineRKR

Yeah but its common knowledge no one buys games on Xbox because Gamepass. Look at the amount of subs for reference.
The PS5 usually outsells the PS4 by a wide margin in games though.

Also, I have a hard time believing this if it's both physical and digital. Usually, when we see platform breakdown, PS5 is first, PC is second, Xbox is third, and PS4 is practically irrelevant. PS4 for instance represented only 9% of Elden Ring's sales.

Hogwarts Legacy, the best-selling game of 2023 also didn't come to the last-gen consoles until later. There are also some decently successful titles such as Remnant II, Lords of the Fallen, Dead Space remake, and a few others that didn't even make it to the PS4.

I struggle to see what major games the PS4 had besides God of War Ragnarok that made it outsell the Series X.

Just any game that came out. PS4 still gets a decent amount. More than enough to outsell MS.

Think about this also; The PS4 isn't even cheap. Its still 300 bucks. It absolutely fucking crushes the Series X but also the budget Series S which was offered at a lower price than the PS4 for a good while.

Moriah20

Xbox is a complete failure in Europe since XB1 launch. X360 was actually doing pretty well and they earned a lot of goodwill. Immediately pissed it away when the X1 didn't even launch in most countries for like a year and half the console features weren't even usable.

Top Bottom