• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 – unique, unannounced features teased by Sony Interactive Entertainment president

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Jim Ryan: “Each time a new console is released, the processor and graphics improve. Those are enticing of course, but we need to have special appeals as well. We have already confirmed the use of an solid-state drive. Having load times that are next to nothing is a major change.

“3D audio and the haptic feedback support of the controller are also things that, when you try them, you will be surprised at how big a change they are. Even just playing the racing game Gran Turismo Sport with a PlayStation 5 controller is a completely different experience. While it runs well with the previous controller, there is no going back after you experience the detailed road surface via haptic control and play using the adaptive triggers.

“But you know. There are still more unique elements for PlayStation 5 to come that separate it from previous consoles. The ‘bigger differences’ have yet to be announced.”

trikster40

Soooooooo, feel free to start talking about them at any time! This waiting game sucks so hard. Each party is waiting for the other to show all their cards, and all we can do is argue about rumored Tflops.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

CervantesPR1

Neo Member
I am surprised that they did not reveal the date for their dedicated PS5 seperate event or if they are even planing one.

Which raises some questions:

would it be good for sony to have a seperate event or just wait for E3 to reveal PS5?

If they do have a dedicated PS5 seperate event, should they unveil some games like they did at the PS4 unveiling or just save every game anouncement for E3 period?

Bigpuddycat

Neo Member
I'm gonna take a wild guess and predict that they haven't revealed all of the controller features yet. Big changes to the DualShock -- hell, they might not even call it a DualShock next time -- would be the key to making the PS5 unique. Especially when compared to other platforms and former PlayStation consoles.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Soooooooo, feel free to start talking about them at any time! This waiting game sucks so hard. Each party is waiting for the other to show all their cards, and all we can do is argue about rumored Tflops.

giphy.gif
Yeah it’s a little frustrating but it’s because no one wants to give an ounce right now. Someone’s gonna want to beat the launch by a week or undercut the price or start marketing targeting a console weakness.

Hmmm...dat wording doe......

Anyhow, I actually am genuinely interested to hear more about the SSD implementation and PSVR2. VR is the main thing they have that's truly unique (compared to Xbox).

CJY

Banned
Sony/Cerny seems very keen on customising CPUs and introducing features from AMDs future roadmap.

I think an 8C/16T CPU is super pedestrian for a console expected to be with us until 2027. So my thinking is we're either going to see a 16C/32T CPU, or SMT4 which is 4 threads per core, so there might still be 8 cores, but with 32 threads.

Using currently-available, totally off-the-shelf parts makes zero sense. I'll feel let down if PS5 only has 8C/16T.

I think SMT4 is ony rumoured at this point. Here's a article for reference.

What I want in terms of BC:
4k-8k rendering of PS1-PS2 games along with built-in automatic A.I. based rescaling of those low resolution 2D assets.
I am not sure if this is possible with the current tech, but I feel this will be possible in the future.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
" The ‘bigger differences’ have yet to be announced.”

let us see .. he said bigger differences that separate ps5 from previous consoles let me try :

- maybe ps5 can hold more than two games ( physical ) you can insert two discs or more ( easy to switch without going there and change it ! )

- improved voice commands ( with a reply from that system and maybe giving it a name )

- Full BC ( PS1 PS2 PS3 and PS4 )

- can run 60 FPS with a solid 4k or higher showing a sample from a game ( live )

- a whole new unique dashboard ( editable ) every player can edit their dashboard

- ps5 with a built in camera

- run ps5 with only holding the controller ( sensitivity ) or just hit the goddamn button

- a small screen on the controller ( You can adjust the pressure sensitivity of the buttons )

Hmmmm ..

2fzEkvh.gif

is it too much ?

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I've grown tired of all this non-news and speculation.

I'm ignoring every next gen rumor/speculation thread till we get some substantial and concrete info and previews of actual games and features.

I think it will be more of a play on their existing communication....like

Projected 3d audio

They built in speakers behind the ps5 fans so rather than the constant whine of a 747 in your lounge room it will also pump out the game sounds giving you and your neighbors 3d audio

Haptic feedback

The console will also have the build quality of the ps4 and one of the base plates will not touch the ground....so when the jet turbines of your ps5 kick in the console will vibrate the ground and your surroundings giving you real haptic feedback

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sony have to be careful because they don't want to sabotage their PS4 line-up for the next 2 quarters with it being so strong. Its actually a pretty tricky scenario for them to navigate, to be truthful in many ways I'm kinda surprised they haven't folded TLOU2 and GoT back into the PS5 launch window because the messaging would be much easier to handle that way.

Essentially they need to finish up PS4 with a bang, and then within a period of a few short months create an even stronger impression to get PS5 off on the right foot.

I can only think that what they are going to do is show both PS4 and PS5 builds off at launch, presumably with the promise of free upgrades (or at least compatibility) when the new gen begins at the end of the year.

The only notable thing i can get from the interview is the part with GTS. Is it going to support the PS5 or are they using a demo build to test the controller, because i don't believe that as is the game supports the new controller features.

Tiamat2san

Haptic triggers?
Like a vibration depending on how you press the trigger?
Like the Xbox one controller ?
(I love the sensation on the triggers on Xbox)
Or is it something completely different?

Haptic triggers?
Like a vibration depending on how you press the trigger?
Like the Xbox one controller ?
(I love the sensation on the triggers on Xbox)
Or is it something completely different?

It's an evolution of force feedback. It gives you the sense of touching something, like it haves a shape through the vibration.

It's not like the FF of the xbox triggers. That's just vibration.

CJY

Banned
Wait, there are people who think SMT4 will be in a console APU? Lol, it's not going to be on the Zen 3 desktop CPUs let alone the workstation processors.
Has it been confirmed PS5 will even have an APU and not a discrete CPU? Serious question.

Tiamat2san

The HD Rumble from the Switch is like that. The problem is, to really see the benefits of the technology and not make it another vibration feature, the developer must really put effort.
I was not impress with HD rumble.
I tried several games which should have demonstrate the potential... it’s vibrating, ok, cool, so what?
Wait and see then.

I was not impress with HD rumble.
I tried several games which should have demonstrate the potential... it’s vibrating, ok, cool, so what?
Wait and see then.

The scooter in Mario Odyssey is a really good indicator and the game with the metal balls in 1-2 Switch. Overall a really underused feature.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

giphy.gif
I love PlayStation but I agree I don't like how they haven't showed us much yet, even though I know the reason is because of the 2020 lineup. Luckily February is just around the corner

Dabaus

Banned
Sony have to be careful because they don't want to sabotage their PS4 line-up for the next 2 quarters with it being so strong. Its actually a pretty tricky scenario for them to navigate, to be truthful in many ways I'm kinda surprised they haven't folded TLOU2 and GoT back into the PS5 launch window because the messaging would be much easier to handle that way.

Essentially they need to finish up PS4 with a bang, and then within a period of a few short months create an even stronger impression to get PS5 off on the right foot.

I can only think that what they are going to do is show both PS4 and PS5 builds off at launch, presumably with the promise of free upgrades (or at least compatibility) when the new gen begins at the end of the year.
This.

Top Bottom