• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 – unique, unannounced features teased by Sony Interactive Entertainment president

DJ12

It's going to be 3d stacked with hbm memory then for sure with extreme bandwidth available I guess.

bellome

As I said on Twitter:

VigorousVengefulConey-size_restricted.gif

Shin

Banned
I am surprised that they did not reveal the date for their dedicated PS5 seperate event or if they are even planing one.

Which raises some questions:
Either way they probably have 2 speeches prepared, if they go before E3 they don't have to be mindful or what MS is going to say.
If at E3 then they'll probably change their message (if weaker than Scarlett), the meeting date will be telling IMO.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
doubt. what features does the ps4 have? none its literally a PC with a different OS.

What is different about anything? It is literally a bunch of transistors and wires running software ;).

.... Customisations in the GPU (8 ACE’s with 8 compute queues each, GPU cache bypass, volatile bit to mark dirty cache lines, etc...) arrived to their desktop cards and APU’s at a later date, background processing and suspend mode OS and co-processor (ARM SoC), and yes a lot of software features built on top :).

Virex

Banned
Well Sony will have to push and advertise the other features since they won't be able to use the most powerful console angle given that the Series X has won on that front

SleepDoctor

Banned
I hope this is not another case of the Ps4 launch where lots of Ps3 features were missing out the gate.

Just pick up where you left off.

OT: Honestly don't think anything can outdo shareplay. If anything i hope they can build on it a little more.

Tiamat2san

Do you have an iPhone, it’s how the home key works, feels like you’re pressing a button when your actually pressing against solid immovable plastic.
Yeah a X , I remember when I had a 7 , the force feedback of the home button.
It was weird at first.
They use the same thing on their MacBook Pro if I remember correctly, on their keyboard.
It’s cool on the phone but horrible on the keyboard.

Still wait and see.
It could be an awesome feature.
Like I said just the vibration in triggers on Xbox one are great ( in gears or forza there’s a real sensation)
So if it’s going further, I’ll love it.

Technology ♥️

sinnergy

Is this a new take on: just wait ??? I mean they can be a bit more open ... what do they have to lose?

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
cant compete on power so they are using the unique approach.
Of course they are, how they’re going to enhance their games is how you market the system to your 105 million PS4 users. We all know a Xbox has *a lot* of work to do on that front.

Add to that Twinfinite. Abriael_GN Abriael_GN and his co-workers are good and unbiased so I like them very much

Most sites now are obviously biased towards PC, Xbox, PS or Nintendo. So their credibility is zero to me.
I'd add Niche Gamer to the list, but after the whole plagiarism debacle idk. The guy responsible did step down as EIC, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth for an otherwise quality site.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Add to that Twinfinite. Abriael_GN Abriael_GN and his co-workers are good and unbiased so I like them very much

Most sites now are obviously biased towards PC, Xbox, PS or Nintendo. So their credibility is zero to me.

Since I've been summoned (also, thanks for the kind words), here are a couple of details that the article quoted above fails to mention (and they're not irrelevant).

1: Japanese does not distinguish between plural and singular. So we don't 100% know whether it's one unannounced differentiating feature is one or multiple. Assuming plural is incorrect. As a matter of fact, the wording and context seem to indicate that Ryan is teasing ONE specific feature, but it's impossible to know for sure unless he mentions it again in English.
2: And this is *really* important, Ryan said the part about the unannounced feature *while laughing* which can potentially mean a lot of things. This is not something that should be omitted when reporting an interview, especially if the original interviewer felt it was relevant enough that he specifically mentioned it.

Incidentally, it's not that we're unbiased. Unbiased is impossible. We simply have a lot of people each with their own bias and ideas, and since pluralism is encouraged, I guess the various biases and ideas balance out well enough 😂

Me, I'm biased for Muv-Luv. Muv-Luv is literally god and everyone on Earth should play it.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

We already now about the „stadia“-like DualShock feature. Meh.
doubt. what features does the ps4 have? none its literally a PC with a different OS.
This cryptic shit is getting old, both systems are no doubt finalized so just spill the beans already.

I hope this is not another case of the Ps4 launch where lots of Ps3 features were missing out the gate.

Just pick up where you left off.

OT: Honestly don't think anything can outdo shareplay. If anything i hope they can build on it a little more.
There was a patent someone dig up here, about playing the videos your friends upload to psn. I think they can go up to 15min, that's what ps4 automatically saves in the background, maybe they can increase that number, but even if it is a 15min clip/demo that's a really nice feature to help you decide in buying a game, without having to ask a friend online to share play.

The triggers will also have tension adjustment too, I believe.
Finally. A function I can get value out of!

SCENE: A warm but functional living room. Large sofa, big SONY branded TV and a PS5 set up beside it. PS5 controller laying on the sofa seductively.

GAMER, a tired office-worker with a crooked tie staggers in and lands themselves carelessly onto the sofa, the SONY TV switches on as they pick up the PS5 controller with one hand and rub the back of their neck with the other

CONTROLLER: Welcome home Dave. Hard day?
GAMER-DAVE: Ugh. I don't wanna talk about it.
CONTROLLER: OK Dave. Ready to play?
GAMER-DAVE: Am I ever!
CONTROLLER: Dave. I can't help noticing you're holding me more tightly than normal. Is everything OK?
GAMER-DAVE: Well. No. Actually it's not.
CONTROLLER: Dave. I think I know how I can help.
GAMER-DAVE: What do you mean?

SONY branded music-centre lights up and some sultry jazz starts playing

CONTROLLER: Dave. Your hands are so strong. Hold me.

EXTREME CLOSE UP on GAMER'S raised eyebrow. JUMP CUT to hand squeezing PS5 controller harder.

CONTROLLER: Yes Dave. That feels good.
GAMER-DAVE: More.. ?
CONTROLLER: No. Let me help you relax Dave.

CAMERA SLOWLY PANS AWAY as Dave looks left then right. Sofa and GAMER are no longer in view.
UNZIPPING sound.

CONTROLLER: [OFF SCREEN] Oh Dave..

Last edited:

FranXico

Finally. A function I can get value out of!

SCENE: A warm but functional living room. Large sofa, big SONY branded TV and a PS5 set up beside it. PS5 controller laying on the sofa seductively.

GAMER, a tired office-worker with a crooked tie staggers in and lands themselves carelessly onto the sofa, the SONY TV switches on as they pick up the PS5 controller with one hand and rub the back of their neck with the other

CONTROLLER: Welcome home Dave. Hard day?
GAMER-DAVE: Ugh. I don't wanna talk about it.
CONTROLLER: OK Dave. Ready to play?
GAMER-DAVE: Am I ever!
CONTROLLER: Dave. I can't help noticing you're holding me more tightly than normal. Is everything OK?
GAMER-DAVE: Well. No. Actually it's not.
CONTROLLER: Dave. I think I know how I can help.
GAMER-DAVE: What do you mean?

SONY branded music-centre lights up and some sultry jazz starts playing

CONTROLLER: Dave. Your hands are so strong. Hold me.

EXTREME CLOSE UP on GAMER'S raised eyebrow. JUMP CUT to hand squeezing PS5 controller harder.

CONTROLLER: Yes Dave. That feels good.
GAMER-DAVE: More.. ?
CONTROLLER: No. Let me help you relax Dave.

CAMERA SLOWLY PANS AWAY as Dave looks left then right. Sofa and GAMER are no longer in view.
UNZIPPING sound.

CONTROLLER: [OFF SCREEN] Oh Dave..
So, that's what that hole is for!...

SleepDoctor

Banned

There was a patent someone dig up here, about playing the videos your friends upload to psn. I think they can go up to 15min, that's what ps4 automatically saves in the background, maybe they can increase that number, but even if it is a 15min clip/demo that's a really nice feature to help you decide in buying a game, without having to ask a friend online to share play.

I hope so. I hated that for me to share a clip i have to upload to YouTube or Twitter. Idk how familiar you are with xbox features but it has exactly that. You go to a friend's profile and all their uploads are there and can even be sent via message.

I like using it for mp whenever i do something nice, funny, catch a glitch or etc.

Well, he is about as interesting as Phil, but has has crazy hair!
I can only think that what they are going to do is show both PS4 and PS5 builds off at launch, presumably with the promise of free upgrades (or at least compatibility) when the new gen begins at the end of the year.
This is what I expect to happen, along with a few true PS5 exclusives that make good use of the systems extra capabilities.

RPGCrazied

Just got my PRO not that long ago. I'll probably wait a year or two to get a PS5. I never get new consoles on launch day. Its better to wait for price reduction and more games.

Elios83

I think that Jim is mostly talking about OS based features that make use of the new hardware already announced.
Cerny already announced some of those features like the ability to launch games jumping immediately into a particular mission or in-game activity or loading the last save through the game folder in the OS and not needing to launch the game in the traditional sense. Partial installations and resume multiple games have also been hinted.
These are pretty unique and experience-changing features and it seems we can expect more of these.

D7im

Sony Interactive Entertainment's president and CEO Jim Ryan has teased that PlayStation 5 will have more "unique elements" that distinguish it from the firm's current console.
So far the details released about the upcoming device have been largely incremental improvements on the PlayStation 4's technology, such as 8K support and USB-C powered controllers with 'adaptive triggers.'
But you know. There are still more unique elements for PlayStation 5 to come that separate it from previous consoles. The 'bigger differences' have yet to be announced."

Verdanth

Bet the light on the front of the console will be custom. Via OS you can change it's color.

I mean, it would be a pretty small but neat feature for me. That white and yellow stand-by get tedious fast.

Last edited:

Banned
SharePlay and PlayGo were both unique.

yes but these were software features... software features will be unique for like a month, and then will be copied immediately if people like them
also "PlayGo" wasn't unique, the Xbox also had the same functionality right from launch, so that wasn't unique.

and share play is quit literally unplayable, have you ever tried that? the lag even at perfect conditions is atrocious.

let's hope these features will actually be unique and unlike share play, work

Top Bottom