• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 – unique, unannounced features teased by Sony Interactive Entertainment president

Matt_Fox

I'm going to make my guess... we're living in the Alexa era and I'm guessing PS5 will allow for voice operation. Not just in dashboard but in games too.

Alongside the announcement there will be a whole lot of spiel about how developers might use this function within their games allowing for unique new gaming experiences, puzzles, inventory management, and control systems.

buizel

Banned
Hopefully it'll be some sort of switchable home and portable. Something with a screen. Something that allows you to play wherever whenever.

Something like.... the PSP

Journey

Banned
Is this confirmation that Xbox Series X is more powerful? I mean after all these rumors and leaks, instead of just debunking them, they want to switch the narrative to "Features" :pie_thinking:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Is this confirmation that Xbox Series X is more powerful? I mean after all these rumors and leaks, instead of just debunking them, they want to switch the narrative to "Features" :pie_thinking:

pretty much, they are using the blue ocean strategy now. i do like their controller though, haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, MS will probably sell a separate controller with those functionalities.

scydrex

Just got my PRO not that long ago. I'll probably wait a year or two to get a PS5. I never get new consoles on launch day. Its better to wait for price reduction and more games.

I sold my Pro back in August and got a slim in black friday... I will get the PS5 at launch to play TLOU II, GOT and all the AAA games or exclusive releasing this year.

Just got my PRO not that long ago. I'll probably wait a year or two to get a PS5. I never get new consoles on launch day. Its better to wait for price reduction and more games.

I sold my Pro back in August and got a slim in black friday... I will get the PS5 at launch to play TLOU II, GOT and all the AAA games or exclusive releasing this year.

I got a PS4 on launch day and played all the games, I got a Pro on launch day and played all the games. I have since given my launch PS4 to my bro to enjoy. No regrets. Will pick a PS5 up on launch day and play all the games. ;)

Journey

Banned
Or this is what their narrative was always about and they're not reacting to rumors and speculation?

I mean both the big PS5 info-dumps were almost all about features.

They were pretty confident, borderline cocky during the PS4 reveal, making an early announcement and blatantly showing their exact Teraflop number because they knew they had the power of Xbox One.

I'm sure they're aware of all the 9.2 TF vs 12 TF talks all around the forums, soon after they make a statement saying:

"Don't worry, we have yet to reveal the rest of the features that make us unique, it's not all about power".

At least that's what this sounds like to me. Exciting times nonetheless

Sounds exciting.

What ever it is, I hope they are going to use it this time though. The lack of gyro support is tearing me apart!!! The gyro makes me Switch into...., well Switch where available.

I am usually open to the input widening ideas like the the touch pad(well I was a bit sceptical of the usefulness of the touch pad), in fact new control possibilities are the most interesting part of the hardware for me, but Jesus, you need to have some kind of rough idea what do with it before start manufacturing it.

But new control features are far more exciting to me, than ”even more power”.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They were pretty confident, borderline cocky during the PS4 reveal, making an early announcement and blatantly showing their exact Teraflop number because they knew they had the power of Xbox One.

I'm sure they're aware of all the 9.2 TF vs 12 TF talks all around the forums, soon after they make a statement saying:

"Don't worry, we have yet to reveal the rest of the features that make us unique, it's not all about power".

The announcement of PS4's TFLOPS rating came in the February PlayStation event, not at CES btw.
Also, can you pinpoint where MS revealed the exact TFLOPS number of Xbox Series X? I'll wait... or not ;).

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
The announcement of PS4's TFLOPS rating came in the February PlayStation event, not at CES btw.
Also, can you pinpoint where MS revealed the exact TFLOPS number of Xbox Series X? I'll wait... or not ;).

They haven't, just talking about rumors which can be taken with a grain of salt, just saying that it sounds to me like they're trying to shift focus to "Features" rather than power. Time will reveal all.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They haven't, just talking about rumors which can be taken with a grain of salt, just saying that it sounds to me like they're trying to shift focus to "Features" rather than power. Time will reveal all.
Ok, so we just disagree... partially as neither has made any statements/is focusing attention on power as far as the TFLOPS metric is concerned :).

... and again you are comparing Sony's official PS4 event in February vs a mention at a January's CES.

Last edited:

After a full reveal of their console, yes. Which has yet to happen.

Sounds less like an educated guess to me and more like selective interpretation fueled by confirmation bias, man. Especially given that the actual quote refers to "bigger differences" which aren't necessarily limited to just "features", however you wish to interpret that term.

Kenpachii

Pretty obvious at this point that performance is lower. If they had more performance they would be shouting it off the roof tops.

scydrex

I got a PS4 on launch day and played all the games, I got a Pro on launch day and played all the games. I have since given my launch PS4 to my bro to enjoy. No regrets. Will pick a PS5 up on launch day and play all the games. ;)

Yeah me too...i got the PS4 in April 2014. Then got the Pro sold it because i have a 1080p tv and i decided to get the slim... i will get the PS5 at launch and enjoy the backwards compatibility and the launch games.

Journey

Banned
Ok, so we just disagree... partially as neither has made any statements/is focusing attention on power as far as the TFLOPS metric is concerned :).

... and again you are comparing Sony's official PS4 event in February vs a mention at a January's CES.

Can't wait 'til Feb! Did you see that AMD benchmark? :messenger_smiling_horns:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well they saying differences from the previous consoles. I don't know if he means previous consoles of the Playstation brand alone or all consoles, including Xbox. I think it'll be exciting to see nevertheless. February can't come soon enough.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Will things reverse this gen? Xbox Series X appears to have the upper hand if rumors are to be believed. Sony will have to focus on gaining attention via features.

As long as they don’t have a Mattrick style meltdown the name will sell. I expect the power and price to be in range and they’re gonna have the exclusives to go with it.

Banned
Would USB-C mean that current PS4 controllers won't work with PS5? Maybe with an adapter?

why... w.... what?

are you sure you know what USB-C is?

ok, let me put it this way, the Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2 is USB-C... the other Xbox One controllers are not USB-C

I hope this answers your question

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I would imagine, BC which implements new textures and trophy support, better rez, AA on all prior PS titles......Shareplay 2.0, LCD screen on controller, you can access the store, buy dlc, it will be touch screen....Wifi on the controller, better audio on the controller, you only need the controller to access PSNOW on any device....Enhanced Media features, VR support....Enhanced Raytracing and SSD caching like you've never seen, Next Gen Audio.....

DJ12

Pretty obvious at this point that performance is lower. If they had more performance they would be shouting it off the roof tops.
Just like MS are who have actually released some vague performance metric?

It was only the other day the xbox designer was saying he doesn't understand why people only care about power.

So we have Sony sticking to their plan despite minority internet meltdowns by fans from both sides or reveals from the other side.

And we have Microsoft who appeared to do a "me too" response to the Wired article at E3 and then rushed a reveal at an event no one normally watches just to be first. With the designer of the console actually talking down power.

Seriously, who's worried here..... Why aren't MS confident on power? they probably know more than you that's why.

There is a reason they don't call the xbox series x the worlds most powerful console and that's because they don't think it will be or at the very least aren't sure how it's going to play out.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don't know if SONY will get into eye toy levels of new features but I'm betting they're committing to Virtual Reality.

I cant take this waiting this is so stupid MS and Sony announced these systems way to early this is what I hate about the gaming industry compared to other ones.
For example ill use the sports car industry New Lamborghini,Ferrari,Mclaren,Skyline,Supra,Corvette what ever gets teased
info goes up on said manufacturer website were you can mess around with options a base price estimate is with specs they hope to reach.
they announce a conference at a very specific date more info gets shown in full pre orders go up and reviews come in a month or two before everyone who pre ordered gets that car. Or you get the privilege to go out to a random track and track a test version of that car for a full day.

Only in the gaming industry to we have to wait on pins and needles for years or months on end before we get any concrete info.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
yes but these were software features... software features will be unique for like a month, and then will be copied immediately if people like them
also "PlayGo" wasn't unique, the Xbox also had the same functionality right from launch, so that wasn't unique.

and share play is quit literally unplayable, have you ever tried that? the lag even at perfect conditions is atrocious.

let's hope these features will actually be unique and unlike share play, work

PlayGo is hardware, that’s why it was always better than MS’s software implementation.

Ar¢tos

I cant take this waiting this is so stupid MS and Sony announced these systems way to early this is what I hate about the gaming industry compared to other ones.
For example ill use the sports car industry New Lamborghini,Ferrari,Mclaren,Skyline,Supra,Corvette what ever gets teased
info goes up on said manufacturer website were you can mess around with options a base price estimate is with specs they hope to reach.
they announce a conference at a very specific date more info gets shown in full pre orders go up and reviews come in a month or two before everyone who pre ordered gets that car. Or you get the privilege to go out to a random track and track a test version of that car for a full day.

Only in the gaming industry to we have to wait on pins and needles for years or months on end before we get any concrete info.
Maybe they just can't announce what isn't 100% set yet. Until mass production starts, there is a lot of tweaking to do. They can't announce final specs if they might be forced to underclock for whatever reason. Even 0.1tf difference is enough for them to be grilled and executed by the media and forums.

Would USB-C mean that current PS4 controllers won't work with PS5? Maybe with an adapter?
USB Type-C is the end that connects to the controller. Both a Micro-USB cable and a USB Type-C Cable connect to the exact same sort of port. I can charge my Type-C phone off the ports on a PS4, for example.

EDMIX

" The ‘bigger differences’ have yet to be announced.”

let us see .. he said bigger differences that separate ps5 from previous consoles let me try :

- maybe ps5 can hold more than two games ( physical ) you can insert two discs or more ( easy to switch without going there and change it ! )

- improved voice commands ( with a reply from that system and maybe giving it a name )

- Full BC ( PS1 PS2 PS3 and PS4 )

- can run 60 FPS with a solid 4k or higher showing a sample from a game ( live )

- a whole new unique dashboard ( editable ) every player can edit their dashboard

- ps5 with a built in camera

- run ps5 with only holding the controller ( sensitivity ) or just hit the goddamn button

- a small screen on the controller ( You can adjust the pressure sensitivity of the buttons )

Hmmmm ..

2fzEkvh.gif

is it too much ?

I think a chunk of what you stated could be true besides the 2 disk drive thing as I think its more money then its really worth as I don't think most would really have 2 disk in their systems enough to really justify the move. I own most of my games disk based and even I wouldn't really see myself doing that.

The next thing I highly doubt is the whole 60fps thing, that is not a hardware thing, that is a developer thing. That is something a DEVELOPER chooses when creating a game, not Sony. Thus Sony would never really show that as a feature as they are unlikely going to be forcing developers to do that.

So Sony and MS will make the hardware, it will clearly be up to developer to choose if they want 60fps, 30fps, 4k, 2k, 1080p etc. That is developer dependent. For all you know someone is making a GPU intensive realistic looking title that doesn't want to use the GPU power for 60fps, but for more graphical fidelity. Take The Last Of Us on PS3 for example, it wasn't running 1080p 60fps, its not that the PS3 can't do that btw, Wipeout HD runs at 1080p 60fps and a few other titles, its simply that NAUGHTY DOG doesn't want The Last Of Us graphically scaled sooooooo far back just to hit those numbers, thus the will use 720p, 30fps etc and use the most of the PS3 power to make it look very, very good.

So Sony and MS can make the hardware, but a developer chooses if they want performance like Wipeout HD or graphical realism like The Last Of Us on PS3.

Again, they never so much as mentioned specs until they did their PS4 reveal. Why do you think they'd do this now?

Shoot, "leaks" last-gen said the PS4's specs were weaker than the Xbox One's too, having only 4GB of RAM and a much weaker CPU because that was "all Sony could afford" yet they still didn't pop off a peep about their power advantage. Why would that change now?

Or they may be pushing the features narrative because they know that the PS5 and XSX are equally powerful. What's the point of talking about power if their teraflops are the same?

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I think a chunk of what you stated could be true besides the 2 disk drive thing as I think its more money then its really worth as I don't think most would really have 2 disk in their systems enough to really justify the move. I own most of my games disk based and even I wouldn't really see myself doing that.

The next thing I highly doubt is the whole 60fps thing, that is not a hardware thing, that is a developer thing. That is something a DEVELOPER chooses when creating a game, not Sony. Thus Sony would never really show that as a feature as they are unlikely going to be forcing developers to do that.

So Sony and MS will make the hardware, it will clearly be up to developer to choose if they want 60fps, 30fps, 4k, 2k, 1080p etc. That is developer dependent. For all you know someone is making a GPU intensive realistic looking title that doesn't want to use the GPU power for 60fps, but for more graphical fidelity. Take The Last Of Us on PS3 for example, it wasn't running 1080p 60fps, its not that the PS3 can't do that btw, Wipeout HD runs at 1080p 60fps and a few other titles, its simply that NAUGHTY DOG doesn't want The Last Of Us graphically scaled sooooooo far back just to hit those numbers, thus the will use 720p, 30fps etc and use the most of the PS3 power to make it look very, very good.

So Sony and MS can make the hardware, but a developer chooses if they want performance like Wipeout HD or graphical realism like The Last Of Us on PS3.

yeah I know but still showing with a live demo will bring no harm

and yes it depends on the developer but still you have a powerful console no excuse to make

Jigsaah

Gold Member
why... w.... what?

are you sure you know what USB-C is?

ok, let me put it this way, the Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2 is USB-C... the other Xbox One controllers are not USB-C

I hope this answers your question
I don't have an Elite Series 2 controller for my X. I thought USB-C was like what the Galaxy Note 10 uses to charge. It's a different connector. Am I mistaken?

Maybe they just can't announce what isn't 100% set yet. Until mass production starts, there is a lot of tweaking to do. They can't announce final specs if they might be forced to underclock for whatever reason. Even 0.1tf difference is enough for them to be grilled and executed by the media and forums.

I get what your saying but then there are already dev kits in the wild so the system not being done or use able is out the window. These companies are going to get grilled regardless sony has made a bunch of empy promises before If 0.1TF off of what they projected gets them grilled it wouldnt be any different then the ps3 KZ2 e3 demo. All of it just seems like a huge co out to me no what sony wants is for you to have your hyped peaked at 11 for the next 10/11 months with no blow back and thats how the gaming industry has been going this entire gen keep people hyped for an unhealthy amount of time and then when you under perform or dont live up to the insane hype you set play the sympathy card.

I don't have an Elite Series 2 controller for my X. I thought USB-C was like what the Galaxy Note 10 uses to charge. It's a different connector. Am I mistaken?
The connector to the DEVICE is different, but it uses the same ports. Just use the cable you already use to charge your DS4 and you're golden.

Ar¢tos

I get what your saying but then there are already dev kits in the wild so the system not being done or use able is out the window. These companies are going to get grilled regardless sony has made a bunch of empy promises before If 0.1TF off of what they projected gets them grilled it wouldnt be any different then the ps3 KZ2 e3 demo. All of it just seems like a huge co out to me no what sony wants is for you to have your hyped peaked at 11 for the next 10/11 months with no blow back and thats how the gaming industry has been going this entire gen keep people hyped for an unhealthy amount of time and then when you under perform or dont live up to the insane hype you set play the sympathy card.
I think Sony wants you to take a chill pill and enjoy the 11 months of what the current gen has to offer instead of burning your brain out with conspiracy theories.
This unhealthy obsession with needing to know specs 1 year in advance can only be harmful. Since when it is the most important thing (for players) to have the most powerful console? Shouldn't the games be the priority?
The best games I played last gen and current gen weren't certainly the best looking ones, and I fully expect next gen to be no different.

Bryank75

Banned
Well, we have no solid figures from Xbox... Spencer said 'twice the power of the One X' which is 12 Tflops GCN or just over 9 Tflops RDNA.
I understand Xbox fans being excited and everything, I am sure XSX will be great whether 9 or 12 but it is a bit premature to be claiming victory when we have no really solid details on both fronts.

Wait I'm confused now. DS4 is also USB-C? When you say "DEVICE" you mean the PS5 or the controller?
The controller. These are a Type-C connector and a Micro-USB connector.
hqdefault.jpg

Both of these cables can connect to the exact same types of USB port.
th

Because, at the end, both look like this.
51tL7oNDpPL.jpg

Is that easier to follow?

I think Sony wants you to take a chill pill and enjoy the 11 months of what the current gen has to offer instead of burning your brain out with conspiracy theories.
This unhealthy obsession with needing to know specs 1 year in advance can only be harmful. Since when it is the most important thing (for players) to have the most powerful console? Shouldn't the games be the priority?
The best games I played last gen and current gen weren't certainly the best looking ones, and I fully expect next gen to be no different.
If you announce something you need to follow up with it either its ready to be announced and is going to release soon or its not.

"I think Sony wants you to take a chill pill and enjoy the 11 months of what the current gen has to offer instead of burning your brain out with conspiracy theories. "
they teased this system since last year either show the system in full now or have a concrete release date. This drip feed info does nothing but turn people off in the long run or creates incredibly high expectations that wont be matched. The only sony only games i care about next year is P5R and FF7R unless YS9,shin sakura and yakuza 7 come state side before the years up.

"This unhealthy obsession with needing to know specs 1 year in advance can only be harmful. "
They showed it off and brought up specs early last year follow through if your going to bring up specs show whats these specs can do.

"Since when it is the most important thing (for players) to have the most powerful console? "
Ask MS and Sony but since most of there western games only push for graphics and story over anything gameplay.

"Shouldn't the games be the priority? "
extremely lacking this gen we same with variety

"The best games I played last gen and current gen weren't certainly the best looking ones, and I fully expect next gen to be no different. "
I want good games with good gameplay and a unique art style I also want 0 censorship of jp titles. But this gen we seen the worst monetization and policies ever

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Like they were in January 2013? Like MS related rumours always did no matter what?

Whatever will be will be... but this shows projecting/wishful thinking :p. You have no concrete data from anyone.

Gamernyc78

Banned
And again although not verified someone else saying they are a dev and saying ps5:gpu is stronger. Almost all insiders whether verified or not have pointed to this. This shit is going to be glorious.

Top Bottom