• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 “Enter Rest Mode” vs “Turn Off PS5”

Quasicat

After my PS4 Pro was clobbered while in sleep mode after a power outage (despite being in a surge protector) years back, i never leave my PS5 in sleep mode. When I'm done for the day, i power it fully off. I'm not taking any chances. I never leave disks in either. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but to me I'd rather be safe.
Absolutely! I live in rural America and the power here flickers and/or goes out whenever we have a storm blow through. I had to replace a PS4 hard drive one time when it tried to rebuild the database and refused to startup normally after a power outage while it was in sleep mode.

Rayderism

I only use rest mode on the short term, like stopping to eat dinner, or running a short errand. Otherwise I shut it off.

As for the disc drive......well, it has one, but I never use it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Question one:

Which method is better for your PlayStation 5 when you’re done for the day? I know “Rest Mode” is for charging the controller etc. But if you don’t have to charge the Duelsense, which method is better for when you’re done playing today but you’re gonna play in a day or two ? Rest Mode or Turn Off?

Question two:

If I’m playing Dead Space and have to stop for the day, but I’m gonna continue tomorrow or the next day, Is it better to leave the disc in or eject it?

Thanks
About the disc. I’ve kept hogwarts disc in there for 3 weeks straight. It’s good

DJ12

My PS5 doesn't download updates when in rest mode (not sure why, everything is enabled, quite a few threads on it over at Sony), and have a charging dock so turn it off.

Esca

I use rest mode. I like picking up right were i left everything. Keeping itself updated and my games all the time without having to waste my time with that and I like to use the app to download remotely even though I have fast internet so no time waiting is better than anytime waiting.

Gamerguy84

1. Rest mode is worth it for updates alone.

Also I cant count how many times I was at work or out doing something and took a few minutes to read on gaf and reddit, got interested in a new game or maybe a demo. Decided to pick it on the app and "download to console". It's waiting on me when I get home.

Actually I don't think I ever visit the store on console it's always by app. It's also connected to both PS5s so I choose which one or both.

So rest mode.

2. If a game is on disc and I'm not done I leave it in.

Justin9mm

Like I know this a gaming 'discussion' forum but this reminds me of Facebook social media threads where ppl ask the dumbest most trivial unimportant questions. Sorry OP, I don't mean to have a dig but this thread feels unnecessary. It feels as pointless as whole thread discussing whether you sit your console vertically or horizontally, or where do you put your controller after a gaming session etc.

P.S. I never turn off my PS5 lol

Eiknarf

Banned
Like I know this a gaming 'discussion' forum but this reminds me of Facebook social media threads where ppl ask the dumbest most trivial unimportant questions. Sorry OP, I don't mean to have a dig but this thread feels unnecessary. It feels as pointless as whole thread discussing whether you sit your console vertically or horizontally, or where do you put your controller after a gaming session etc.

It’s not so much a question as a poll; to see what everyone does… and why

Lasha

Power is expensive where I live. I turn off any device when not in use. Internet is cheap and fast. I download any updates within a few minutes. I use a central charger for all of my USB devices which negates another benefit of the mode.

consoul

Rest mode always.

Rest mode had some problems early on, but newer firmwares made it stable. My only issue with it is that sometimes you'll come back to a notification that an update was applied to the game you're playing while the PS5 was in rest mode. When this happens, it boots you back to the home screen having closed the game and lost whatever unsaved progress you had.

I manually save before going into rest mode whenever possible, but when you're not able to, this close & auto-update feature sucks.

wvnative

Hahaha, why? If only uses power to seek dual sense signal when off while in rest mode more components are powered on (ram?). There is also risk of corrupting data if there is power outage in rest mode.
Games will remain updated in rest mode and you can charge your controllers while not using it. Also automatic cloud save backups, automatic download of pre ordered games...

Full power cycles are more taxing on hardware components to my understanding.

You are correct about power outages, that's a small risk you take. But personally speaking i bought a battery backup, not suitable for everyone but it is an option.

You can use your consoles however you want, but anybody not defaulting to rest mode is using it in a way not intended by Sony, same for Xbox and Switch

Ever since I put a M.2 drive in the system, it has to rebuild the database whenever it comes out of sleep mode. So it's always off for me.

Bond007

I generally power mine down. Here in Florida- random weather can make the power flicker or go out during the summer or hurricane season. A console essentially being unplugged while in rest mode isnt a great idea in my book.

Filben

Almost always rest mode so it can keep my games and the OS up to date (and charge my controllers after the session so I never have an empty controller for the next one). It's one of the advantages over my PC. Games and OS on PS5 is always up to date and I don't have to download a 10GB update when I boot it up and just want to play already.

I only turn it off if I know I won't be there for several days.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

C'mon man, that's unneeded, the guy had a question, trivial or not...

Still better than the nth topic about acquisitions/sales numbers and the usual shilling ones where it attracts the usual suspects and everything becomes an infinite Vs topic.

To answer op's question, I always turn my consoles off, game disks remain in the drive only when I'm playing them.

Cheers

Bojji

Games will remain updated in rest mode and you can charge your controllers while not using it. Also automatic cloud save backups, automatic download of pre ordered games...

Full power cycles are more taxing on hardware components to my understanding.

You are correct about power outages, that's a small risk you take. But personally speaking i bought a battery backup, not suitable for everyone but it is an option.

You can use your consoles however you want, but anybody not defaulting to rest mode is using it in a way not intended by Sony, same for Xbox and Switch

You are right about most things. I use rest mode to download stuff sometimes or keep game suspended but most of the time i don't have need for that. PS5 has amazing downloading system with no caps when playing so I can download games with 1Gb/s speed while playing other games (it's slow as fuck on Xbox in comparison).

There is also this thing that with 3 gaming platforma (PS5, XSX, PC) there are sometimes days between turning on my PS5 (same goes for other 2 systems depending on what i play) so all this power to keep console in rest mode is wasted.

omegasc

Have mine from day one. Always used rest mode, with USB HDD for PS4 games back then, but took it off since I added 2TB extra space. Only turn it off when I will be away for more than a week. Never had problems with that. Exception being Jedi Fallen Order (PS5 version), which used to lose all sound sometimes for no reason when coming back from rest mode. Lots of tiny tech issues with this one btw.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why would you eject the disc unless you're switching to a different one? The only time you shouldn't leave it in is if you're gonna move the PS5.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
If I don't plan to use it for a week, I'll leave it on rest mode.

The power spike of booting it from cold probably negates the saving you'd make in turning it off. I also like rest mode for the speed of getting into a game.
Is there any truth in this?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
what's the risk if power goes off when console is in rest mode? is there any at all ?

Bojji

what's the risk if power goes off when console is in rest mode? is there any at all ?

Risk is low but it is there. I saw rebuild database errors many times on PS4 and few times on PS5 when using rest mode, once it fucked up my PS5 USB drive (SSD) so i had to reformat it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Unplugging the console when it's going to Rest Mode! /s

I turn it off, unless I'm downloading a game or charging my DualSense or Pulse 3D.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Restmode is not only for updates in the background, but also storage management with the PS App and remote play when i'm away from home. Mine is in rest mode most of the time, but i do turn it off some days during the week.

My stand: when i'am done with gaming for a day ore two, my disc is back in the box and my PS5 is turned of.
When there are updates for games its turn on, i download the updates and i turn it of again. In standby its using power, and the cost of energy is high, so non of my electronica is on standby, even not my TV.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Rest Mode always, because I often want to connect from other devices (at night I often use Remote Play on the PS4Pro in our bedroom to play on the PS5 which is upstairs).

Rodolink

sadly I stopped relying on ps5 rest mode, after 3 crashes i only let it on rest mode during the weekends. found out after 3days of rest it usually crashed. so weekends rest mode, and off during the week (since i don't play anyway).
shitty because the ps4 i always let it rested never had a problem.

chinoXL

launch day 5 here and she's always been in rest mode. had one or two outages since and she just prompted to scan and repair. rock solid since

DanEON

I always turn off. I kinda like the process of turning on the console (hear the UI sound) and opening up a game, etc...

Top Bottom