• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 + 2TB external HDD > PS5 + 2 TB internal SSD

CGNoire

What do people here not get about it being way faster to transfer from external 2tb drive then having to re-download from internet?

People her acting like it takes longer...what?

I prefer this approach.

Just drop feed 1 or 2 games from external drive and play them properly instead of confusing yourself with tons of options.

I've heard multiple reports of PS5 owners stripping the screws.

This is a common thing if you don't operate screw driver regularly.

Still it's on customer, they have to hold console together with something.

Last edited:

Darko

Agreed. Unles you’re playing 10 games at a time you can easily use a external hdd and just swap

Last edited:

jm89

In your usecase that makes total sense. Use the 2tb as cold storage and only copy in stuff when you need it.

THe only thing lost is time really, but if your not frequently copying stuff in and out then yeah deifntley not worth buying a pcie4 ssd.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm still completely fine with just the included internal storage. Don't need 10 large games installed at once, just the few I'm currently playing plus some smaller ones I like to jump into now and then (RL etc). I delete stuff I'm done with, and if I ever want to install something again it doesn't take long whether it's from a disc or a download.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
20+ games on a console doesn’t make sense it’s a weird PC mindset thing games today are out of this world and make more money for developers than you can possibly imagine.

It's true, reports all over the net including on this very forum.

People who would ask such a question should be aware of what might happen.
That‘s why I said IF you know how a screwdriver works. There‘s also people who think it‘s a good idea to put a cat in a microwave to dry its fur, but that‘s hardly the majority of people who own a microwave.

Topher

Gold Member

It's very hard.
You better get a mechanic.🤣😂😉

Seriously. It isn't as if parents have been performing this exact same operation on toys for years......right?

iVivn2HWYeXjOSwp.standard
mXEx4dGKS5k6O6ct.medium

Better call a professional.

Rooster Teeth Hair GIF by Achievement Hunter

drotahorror

Feels good to not buy a PCIe4 drive to only have games sit on it when the PS5 internal drive is big enough to play all the games I am playing at any one moment. I'll instead have them sit on a 2 TB spare external HDD.

You don't have to justify your purchase to no one. Some people wanted to spend more money on convenience. Also a bigger internal drive is objectively better than a small one, not the other way around.

EDMIX

lol they not wrong.

I stopped doing that ages ago. Its pointless. You are basically spending money to house shit you already own anyway that can be redownloaded, that you might not re-play in years.

I don't plan on upgrading my PS5's M.2 drive. I realize I just don't play that much games AT ONCE, most are not doing that shit lol So after I'm done with Hogwarts, I'm going to delete it and I'm going install Octopath Traveler 2, JUST like I deleted Dead Space Remake prior.

I don't know what to tell people....why the fuck would I be playing like 15 games at once? huh? It just makes no sense. So I'll cycle out my games until the size of games gets the point where having 5 or 6 can't be done or something like that, but even then...who knows.

edit. and before anyone bothers to bring up PC gaming, I do that on PC too! lol I rarely keep my most important files SOLELY on my main PC, it doesn't even fucking make sense. Keep em only one the machine thats on all day? For hours on end? lolz ok. I look for performance on my main drives and I have 2 externals that I have for storage that I add to every so often. A bigger internal drive is merely saying, I wish to have a lot of files to access all at once, but I find rarely is there any massive importance to having this amount of info 100% always available. Even less in something like gaming where you can only play 1 game at once.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
lol they not wrong.

I stopped doing that ages ago. Its pointless. You are basically spending money to house shit you already own anyway that can be redownloaded, that you might not re-play in years.

I don't plan on upgrading my PS5's M.2 drive. I realize I just don't play that much games AT ONCE, most are not doing that shit lol So after I'm done with Hogwarts, I'm going to delete it and I'm going install Octopath Traveler 2, JUST like I deleted Dead Space Remake prior.

I don't know what to tell people....why the fuck would I be playing like 15 games at once? huh? It just makes no sense. So I'll cycle out my games until the size of games gets the point where having 5 or 6 can't be done or something like that, but even then...who knows.

Same here. Especially when I mostly play single player. There are only a few games that stand the test of time on PC: Starcraft, Oblivion and Skyrim. So I do agree with the OP in that regard, but if someone does play a lot of games then there is certainly nothing wrong with buying additional NVMe storage, transferring from cold storage or redownloading games.

Ran out of space on my PS5 and hooked in a 2 TB external drive I had laying around.

Transferring over 280 GB worth of games, it said it'd take around 50 minutes.

Realistically the 667 GB of the PS5 internal drive can hold more than enough games that I want to play at any one time. Does anyone really need to have 20+ games on their machine?

I probably should have just deleted the games, but I transferred them over to the spare drive just in case.

Feels good to not buy a PCIe4 drive to only have games sit on it when the PS5 internal drive is big enough to play all the games I am playing at any one moment. I'll instead have them sit on a 2 TB spare external HDD.
I'm glad you have made peace with being a poor bc it sounds like it's permanent.

Top Bottom