• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 is fully stocked for first time and on track for record sales this year, top Sony exec says

onQ123

• Sony's PlayStation 5 is at full capacity at retailers and other distribution channels around the world, according to Eric Lempel, the company's head of business operations.
  • That comes after a series of successive console shortages which saw many players around the world unable to get their hands on PS5 units.
  • In the face of increased competition from Microsoft, Lempel said that Sony is constantly on the hunt for new developer partners to build exclusive titles for PS5 — though this may not always mean acquisitions.

The PlayStation 5 is fully stocked in stores around the world and will hit Sony's sales target of 25 million units for the year, an executive at the company told CNBC exclusively.

"This holiday season is the first holiday season we will be fully stocked on PlayStation 5 in every geography," Eric Lempel, Sony's head of business operations said in an interview earlier this week.

Unknown?

Now if only MS can follow in Sony's footsteps and solve their stock and shortages issues. Im sure their sales will skyrocket as competition is always good :p
I know this is in jest but this year they've been down all year, I suspect that next year will be down in the double digits. PS5 has all the momentum this year and by the time Xbox has a chance to rebound, Switch 2 will steal all the exposure next year along with a strong PS5.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
"We've done more M&A [mergers and acquisitions] in the past decade than we've ever done," he said. "We're always looking to work with new partners, whether that's somebody as an external provider … or working with a developer along with the way and then acquiring them later."
quote from the interview

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Well I would hope so, you’ve invested hundreds of millions into Spider-Man and Insomniac. It would be a catastrophic failure if this holiday season wasn’t one of the best ever.

first time i heard of this guy , seems very positive for ps5
He’s been with Sony for 20 years, could be a candidate to replace Jimbo.

Last edited:

zedinen

first time i heard of this guy , seems very positive for ps5
ikS4XUr.jpg

qkfXgZf.jpg

zDvlUbv.jpg

HcZ9bOY.jpg

Last edited:
Eric always have done these statements? This looks like something Jimbo would be doing. Seems like he will be the next CEO.

Eric has done this in the past, but largely they would speak through Jim. I think it is clear that Jim is focusing on transition now, so we'll see less and less publicly from him as we near spring.

If Eric does a good job, Totoki will give him the nod, it's probably his job to lose. There isn't really an heir apparent for Sony now.

As I mentioned in other threads, since they've restructured SCEI as SIE, you don't really have regional senior leadership anymore that would make it clear, oh one of the regional leaders will be next up to lead SCEI.

There are other options for Totoki though. He could install someone from Sony Group to oversee SIE or he could get someone from outside the business for the first time ever.

You really have to think about who has the vision to deliver serious growth over the next 5 years. Jim Ryan has created a lot of new pillars as I've discussed, but they need to come to maturity and they need to be expanded on.

You could look at Eric as too much of the same, so he needs to convince Totoki that he has a growth mindset and execution above and beyond Jim. He'll need to present this growth plan to Totoki. He'll need to show how he has delivered on PSN and SIE business operations. Don't know if Eric speaks Japanese either. That's something I think every other head of SIE (SCEI) has been able to do.

kaizenkko

"We've done more M&A [mergers and acquisitions] in the past decade than we've ever done," he said. "We're always looking to work with new partners, whether that's somebody as an external provider … or working with a developer along with the way and then acquiring them later."
quote from the interview
If Helldivers 2 review well, Arrowhead will be probably Sony's next acquisiton.

Three

If they hit their target I will be surprised. Props to them if they do since it seemed overinflated to me.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If Helldivers 2 review well, Arrowhead will be probably Sony's next acquisiton.

I wonder why they haven't purchased them yet. Firewalk and Haven got purchased years before those studios released their first game. Could be a red flag with Arrowhead.

kaizenkko

I wonder why they haven't purchased them yet. Firewalk and Haven got purchased years before those studios released their first game. Could be a red flag with Arrowhead.
Firewalk and especially Haven acquisitions are probably more than just about the games these studios are making.

DaGwaphics

Seems like they've been fully stocked for a minute. I doubt we would have seen the $50 discount and the free game bundle offer if they were still in short supply.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I guess the question is will it just make the 25 million mark or how much will it pass it.....

Thirty7ven

Banned
Seems like they've been fully stocked for a minute. I doubt we would have seen the $50 discount and the free game bundle offer if they were still in short supply.

That’s not the point, the point is that they have found an equilibrium in where stock it more available and less. Going into the holidays, even if they do another discount, means people who want a ps5 should be able to get one wherever they are.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
That’s not the point, the point is that they have found an equilibrium in where stock it more available and less. Going into the holidays, even if they do another discount, means people who want a ps5 should be able to get one wherever they are.
Exactly.

On top of that, of course you want to make as much noise as possible when your biggest release to date just dropped!

And that helps sell consoles.

:)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think they'll make that 25 mill, which is absolutely insane!

Major props to their console sales this year. Ps5 has been an absolute beast.

vanillaFace

Neo Member
took a picture of one (PS5 fat) at Bridgepointe Target (Foster City/Fashion Island/SF Bay Area) a week ago. Glad to see them finally in stock 3 years later, now that they're obsolete.

Top Bottom