• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 seems to be quite silent...

PaintTinJr

I expect the PS5 to be better at heat management than the PS4, but the games they tried hardly push the system to any limits. The real test will be when people will have had the console for a year or so.
Going by what was said in the Road to PS5, and Sony sticking with the same CU count of 36 from the PS4 Pro I'm not so sure it matters what PS5 game is running. They said they designed the console to run at effectively constant power use. The variable boosting is to balance the equation:

CONST_pow = VARIABLLE_freq * VARAIBLE_CU_Occupancy

And they said they choose the power based on the cooling noise they deemed acceptable; effectively eliminating all the unknowns. If the PS5 is loud, then either something in their explanation is off, or I think we are going to need to check digital games against disc games for noise, because the noise maybe well be the blu-ray streaming. I've recently noticed that my PS4 Blu-ray drive can make as much noise as the fan - maybe even more - when streaming in games like Ghost of Tsushima when riding fast - and I only noticed this wasn't the fan, recently when I opened my Day 1 PS4 to replace the thermal pads and paste(there was barely any dust inside), and got side tracked experimenting with pad thicknesses and pasting techniques/amounts - to make it as quiet as possible - which disentangled the two noises when the fan was silent in OS but the disc was being read, making as much noise as the fan at maximum volume.

Going by what was said in the Road to PS5, and Sony sticking with the same CU count of 36 from the PS4 Pro I'm not so sure it matters what PS5 game is running. They said they designed the console to run at effectively constant power use. The variable boosting is to balance the equation:

CONST_pow = VARIABLLE_freq * VARAIBLE_CU_Occupancy

And they said they choose the power based on the cooling noise they deemed acceptable; effectively eliminating all the unknowns. If the PS5 is loud, then either something in their explanation is off, or I think we are going to need to check digital games against disc games for noise, because the noise maybe well be the blu-ray streaming. I've recently noticed that my PS4 Blu-ray drive can make as much noise as the fan - maybe even more - when streaming in games like Ghost of Tsushima when riding fast - and I only noticed this wasn't the fan, recently when I opened my Day 1 PS4 to replace the thermal pads and paste(there was barely any dust inside), and got side tracked experimenting with pad thicknesses and pasting techniques/amounts - to make it as quiet as possible - which disentangled the two noises when the fan was silent in OS but the disc was being read, making as much noise as the fan at maximum volume.

The bluray drive doesn't stream anything on the ps4, everything is installed to the system and the disc is only accessed during authentication when you start the game.

PaintTinJr

The bluray drive doesn't stream anything on the ps4, everything is installed to the system and the disc is only accessed during authentication when you start the game.
Have you got Ghost on disc to confirm it isn't accessing the disc more than that? Or even a link to confirm ps4 doesn't access the discs while games are running, just I'm pretty sure by the sound it is an optical drive spinning and a completely different sound to the fan .

,My HDD isn't in the best of shape (being 7year old) and probably needs replaced or given a full format, so I'm wondering if some PS4 games do dual streaming of data like some PS3 games did, to increase read speed beyond the poor 2.5" 5400rpm HDD or maybe just as fallback for HDD read errors when streaming - which might be what I'm experiencing.

PS5 is designed around having consistent heat levels which means the fan speeds won’t change on a game per game basis anymore.

I believe that's one of the reasons why they went with a fixed power budget. When Cerny talked about the cooling he also kept mentioning the power as well. The two go hand in hand.

Let's see if they succeed with this.

71646_46_mark-cerny-playstation-5s-cooling-solution-will-make-you-quite-happy_full.png

Last edited:
Have you got Ghost on disc to confirm it isn't accessing the disc more than that? Or even a link to confirm ps4 doesn't access the discs while games are running, just I'm pretty sure by the sound it is an optical drive spinning and a completely different sound to the fan .

,My HDD isn't in the best of shape (being 7year old) and probably needs replaced or given a full format, so I'm wondering if some PS4 games do dual streaming of data like some PS3 games did, to increase read speed beyond the poor 2.5" 5400rpm HDD or maybe just as fallback for HDD read errors when streaming - which might be what I'm experiencing.

As far as I know the PS4 hardware isn't designed to run games off the disc, though maybe someone with more intimate knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong?

Yoboman

Gold Member
I wonder if the constant power regulating the CPU and GPU that Cerny talked about will mean that both simple and complex games require the same level of cooling?

Nice to hear but launch titles rarely stress the machine. We're not ultimately going to know until mid gen when we start getting those games whcih start to push against the power. If it was silent when they were on menu screens, it's a good sign though (y)
Really? My launch PS4 got really damn loud with Killzone Shadow Fall.. especially in levels with alot of particle effects like when you board the ship in the space mission. And it's still loud on a PS4 Pro today.

Connxtion

Gold Member
Will wait until someone has it at home or in a room where there is no ambient noise. Since people talking, noises in the background eg... can drown out other sounds.

We ain’t going to be playing this in a noisy place. (Well most of us) My man cave is silent so if it’s noisy a will hear it. XB1X get auditable when the fans ramp up in menus of games. (COD for example)

FrankWza

so i cast my mind back to 2013 and we get this very simple demonstration of Shu Yoshida playing on a ps4 in the August Gamescon ....5 months before ps4 release

and fast forward to today and the first look we get of someone playing on a ps4

vhIMsDl.jpg

and nobody still doesn't have any fucking idea on what's going on and its 6 weeks out

Huh?

cormack12

Gold Member
Really? My launch PS4 got really damn loud with Killzone Shadow Fall.. especially in levels with alot of particle effects like when you board the ship in the space mission. And it's still loud on a PS4 Pro today.

I had a day one console and SF didn't even touch the sides. Weird. I think I heard the fans more on resogun at times but even then it wasn't 'loud', just knew they kicked in.

Azurro

Banned
People are putting too much stock in a controlled preview where they mostly played astrobot. And the console only ran for 80 minutes.

Who has an 80 minute game session other than when just trying to squeeze in a play session before having to go somewhere?

Most of the time when I play it's barely more than one hour or one hour and a half max, so yeah, me.

Kokoloko85

the usual logic from green folks...so silent running old shit.

But PS5? We have to wait more demanding games lol

There out in full force this week....

Every bit of news they try to downplay. From loading times, fan noise and fake cancelling pre orders....
Mods are like my babies are having fun...

I say xbox has no games = 7 day ban....

Tickrate

Honestly, it remains to be seen as a brand new console in a controlled environment isn't indicative of real-world environments e.g. the various media cabinets and hot climate countries.
Similar things can be said about the Series X, but at least those were sent out to people with different setups where Microsoft has less control over.
Both will be praised for their near-silent fans, let's see how it bodes 6-12 months down the line.

A real bummer to me is that both companies neglected dust filters as an option for their console.

Clarissa

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy who hates Sony says that while it's good that it's quiet, he's sure that when playing intensive games like the next Uncharted, it'll be noisy.

6ZTsQAT.jpg

Last edited:

Allandor

Just wait for independent tests. Those are tests in a controlled environment. Who knows what's possible there.
Never trust "influencers" that are part of a PR campaign.

I hope that they nailed the cooling system this time. At least the big case indicates that.
I really don't know why sony is so carefully selecting who tells you what about the new console. Just a bit more than one month and it is out.

Self

My friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy who hates Sony says that while it's good that it's quiet, he's sure that when playing intensive games like the next Uncharted, it'll be noisy.
I guess that's a good point of reference. We should ask more Nintendo fanboys who hate Sony.

Top Bottom