• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Slim deactivates its detachable disc drive upon a Full-System Reset, thus requiring you to go online again to play discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really hate this progression. I'm digital on modern consoles, but only because I don't have to phone home once I have the game on my system. Anything that changes that requirement is an automatic "never buying it" for me.

If the media didn't highlight the issues with the detachable drive then people wouldn't know they needed to do that. You seem mad it's being publicised.
No, I'm saying "preservation" is a disingenuous argument and instead of being mealy-mouthed they should just say "will make piracy harder."

And even then it absolutely won't because this will be cracked by the time it ever matters like every single other console in existence. This thing could require the sacrifice of a child to pair and it wouldn't matter because people using it to pirate games will just crack the authentication anyway.

Or like I said, just buy one of the other 46 million consoles.

Elysium44

Banned
No, I'm saying "preservation" is a disingenuous argument and instead of being mealy-mouthed they should just say "will make piracy harder."

And even then it absolutely won't because this will be cracked by the time it ever matters like every single other console in existence. This thing could require the sacrifice of a child to pair and it wouldn't matter because people using it to pirate games will just crack the authentication anyway.

Or like I said, just buy one of the other 46 million consoles.
The people who will be adversely affected will be those who never have any intention of pirating and may have been understandably oblivious to the need to go online and get permission to use the disc drive. Not all consoles can be easily converted to run pirate software by the way, some later revisions of Xbox 360 or PS3 for example require substantial hardware modification which most would be unwilling to do.

It is an issue, it is being reported, the fact it is being reported is good because now people who want to use discs in the long term can make an informed decision to buy one of those other consoles. You just seem mad that it is being reported, which makes no sense.

Roxkis_ii

If you care about preservation, you'll likely need to grab a second console and keep it on an old firmware and hope the hackers have an answer for backing up stuff.

//DEVIL//

I guess if you care about """""""""""preservation""""""""""" you will have to buy one of the other 46.6 million PS5 consoles out there.
What difference does that make ?
If someone worrying about preservation then connect your system online now and be done with it.

Unless you want to unbox one 40 years from now when Sony shut down the online on ps5. ( Assuming they do, because I believe the worse is shutting down the store. The PS3 to this day connects to PlayStation and downloads updates. And that's like what ? 2006 ? 17 years ago .

This whole preservation thing is a joke and it will only affect those collect the system brand new in the box sealed and they want it open in the year 2060.

By that time connection online will be the least of your concerns. As it might not even then on. Blue ray disks will die from old age AND the system will be hacked by then anyway so who cares

Last edited:
The people who will be adversely affected will be those who never have any intention of pirating and may have been understandably oblivious to the need to go online and get permission to use the disc drive. Not all consoles can be easily converted to run pirate software by the way, some later revisions of Xbox 360 or PS3 for example require substantial hardware modification which most would be unwilling to do.

It is an issue, it is being reported, the fact it is being reported is good because now people who want to use discs in the long term can make an informed decision to buy one of those other consoles. You just seem mad that it is being reported, which makes no sense.
I think it's more I'm just getting tired of the Mother Teresa game preservationist act, but you are right it's just news so whatever. I think Sony has quite a few more impactful problems that people instead should raise a stink about right now though...

skit_data

My first thought is

"Well, how else are you supposed to sell the drive if you for some reason want to keep the PS5 itself and sell the drive?"

But then again I'm one of the heretics, since I bought a launch model PS5 Digital Edition with no worries about preservation what so ever.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's a digital console with a disc drive attachment. If you factory reset, it's still default a digital console, so yeah this makes sense, and it also means you can put the disc drive in a different console.
All this.

Now watch how the convenience of what I bolded is also overlooked.

This is actually something I (and probably many) didnt think would work. Makes getting a disc version that much more appealing now.

This is absurd. By the time we would need to "preserve" this shit, everything will be run directly from a solid state storage. Look at the PS1 and PS2 optical emulators. This is no different.

It's almost like the people making this an issue have no idea what they are talking about.

PS: At what point do we start holding OP responsible for perpetuating this false outrage?

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
So they're probably validating a hash of the drive's components against a central web service and then storing the result on the SSD to compare against on future startups instead of having the validation logic be in the PS5 firmware and open to exploit on cracked consoles.

I wonder how often it gets revalidated when your console is connected to the internet?

midnightAI

Angry Star Wars GIF

BootsLoader

Banned
That was a bad decision from their side. But, it will not stop hackers from hacking the system, they will eventually come up with a technique to pair the drive without internet connection.

Imtjnotu

You shouldn't have to register a hardware addon whatsoever.
For any platform.
Ever.

Imagine plugging in an external SSD to your computer and having to register it to that computer.

This is hardware DRM and no one should be okay with it.
If it's your main drive you literally have to register it with windows lol

And this isn't an ssd. It's a disk reader. It's for copyright purposes. Get over it

This whole preservation thing is a joke and it will only affect those collect the system brand new in the box sealed and they want it open in the year 2060.
if your disc drive breaks and the servers are down (or you have no internet access), congrats, you have to buy another used console.

dick move on sony's part, but eh, this whole thing's gonna get hacked so hard anyway.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

if your disc drive breaks and the servers are down (or you have no internet access), congrats, you have to buy another used console.

dick move on sony's part, but eh, this whole thing's gonna get hacked so hard anyway.
When that thing happen, you will be looking at the ps5 disk same way you look at cassette.

Also, you can always just fix the lense or the drive. Just like ... You know.... What you do ever since the PlayStation 1.

Honestly people are crazy sometimes..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom