• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Slim deactivates its detachable disc drive upon a Full-System Reset, thus requiring you to go online again to play discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

WitchHunter

Banned
I really hate this progression. I'm digital on modern consoles, but only because I don't have to phone home once I have the game on my system. Anything that changes that requirement is an automatic "never buying it" for me.
People do not even know how much data is collected on them while they are playing... They know when you opened your inventory and when you equipped the zweihander...

Once you installed the game and the day1 patch, just pull off the net cable.

sn0man

if your disc drive breaks and the servers are down (or you have no internet access), congrats, you have to buy another used console.

dick move on sony's part, but eh, this whole thing's gonna get hacked so hard anyway.
Honestly they could have made a statement like: “when we end of life the console the last firmware update will disable this online check to plug in a disc drive. We are just attempting to stop piracy right now.”

We would still have to trust them though… so… :messenger_pensive:

CuNi

Honestly they could have made a statement like: “when we end of life the console the last firmware update will disable this online check to plug in a disc drive. We are just attempting to stop piracy right now.”

We would still have to trust them though… so… :messenger_pensive:

That would at least attract media attention and thus pressure them somewhat.

Still not a 100% guarantee but better than the situation you guys are in now.

mrmustard

Banned
I'm extremely confused by the people defending this in the thread. If you don't care about it, okay, but what do you gain from defending such practices?
Some people will defend anything from their favorite toy. Anything. Besides that i don't see how this is news or a problem. If i reset my smartphone all Bluetooth devices will unregister. That's logical.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Some people will defend anything from their favorite toy. Anything. Besides that i don't see how this is news or a problem. If i reset my smartphone all Bluetooth devices will unregister. That's logical.
It's more like having to have an internet connection to use wired headphones with your phone after a reset than it is having to re-pair Bluetooth devices. Or having to check with the phone manufacturer to make sure you are allowed to use your particular Bluetooth device before it will connect.

Drew1440

The main concern is how long sony authenticator servers are going to stay online once the next console is released. People like to play their consoles years after release and there are people who often purchase used consoles years after they have been discontinued.

mrmustard

Banned
It's more like having to have an internet connection to use wired headphones with your phone after a reset than it is having to re-pair Bluetooth devices. Or having to check with the phone manufacturer to make sure you are allowed to use your particular Bluetooth device before it will connect.
People caring about that simply should get a normal super fatso PS5 while it's available.

Larxia

If i reset my smartphone all Bluetooth devices will unregister. That's logical.
I think that's very different. Bluetooth devices just need to be paired again and that's it, it's not a problem.
The issue here is that, from what I understood? You need to go online to activate your disc drive again, which would render it unusable in a future where the servers would be closed.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony makes quality consoles there’s something to be said for that, the lack of hard drives on the digital edition was for downloads. Nobody said you have to buy it.

Codes 208

I'm extremely confused by the people defending this in the thread. If you don't care about it, okay, but what do you gain from defending such practices?
Its not something I’d defend in its own bubble, but comparatively i really dont care or see the big deal about it. Its no different than buying an xbox one/series and setting that up for the first time (which also requires internet, disk drive or not)

So to someone like me who’s used to this shit, its not the dealbreaker some people want this to be

Seems like a good thing, contrary to the current PS5 if the disc drive breaks you can just replace it with another. Or if the PS5 breaks you can at least recycle the disc drive and pair it to a new one.

nikos

I don't need to download the lastest drivers if I already have them saved.

Have you ever set up a PC? You're going to need internet for various things. Even Windows itself will almost always immediately have available updates.

What's next, you're running Linux and keep an offline archive of the latest drivers for all of your hardware on a daily basis JUST IN CASE you don't have internet on the day you need to format, in 2023?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Have you ever set up a PC? You're going to need internet for various things. Even Windows itself will almost always immediately have available updates.

What's next, you're running Linux and keep an offline archive of the latest drivers for all of your hardware on a daily basis JUST IN CASE you don't have internet on the day you need to format, in 2023?
You don't need internet for anything. No update is obligatory.

n111ck

Just lol at the anti Sony fanboys desperately trying to turn this into some sort of 'always on DRM' outrage...but, but, but what if I'm working on an arctic oil rig and a sun spot takes out wifi for 5 minutes rage rage rage... :messenger_beaming:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
If people are really crying over this lol. good luck with gaming in the future. I think a lot of people here need to start and search for some other "offline" hobbies.

Are these people who make a HUGE deal over this, the same people who cum over their Gamepass library?

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If it's your main drive you literally have to register it with windows lol

And this isn't an ssd. It's a disk reader. It's for copyright purposes. Get over it
I had a response, but this is better.

Thank you.
But online not required.

I wasn't gonna chime in but now I will....

And where exactly will you get the drivers from. Better yet, the current drivers....

Oh, you do have a set up disc..but your PC doesn't have a disc drive? Hmmm.

As PC has all but abandoned disc drives, you would still need to download them to a USB drive to install offline, if that's even possible. Or find a PC with a disc drive/get a disc drive and take the drivers off the disc.

As I said, as PC folks start to chime in, things will get clearer.

I just didn't expect disingenuous posts from PC folks, but that was my mistake.

Sleepwalker

The current replacement for drives in older consoles means swapping out the daughter board completely. As long as someone can come up with a server spoof to activate these eventually, they'll be easier to replace.

Mr Moose

What hardware updates are obligatory that need connection to a server for registration?
I couldn't watch Blu-Ray movies on my PC, needed some shitty workaround using some other programs. VLC didn't work (which needed to be downloaded), it said it needed some other shit for it to work which still didn't work after downloading that shit.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
And where exactly will you get the drivers from. Better yet, the current drivers....

Oh, you do have a set up disc..but your PC doesn't have a disc drive? Hmmm.

As PC has all but abandoned disc drives, you would still need to download them to a USB drive to install offline, if that's even possible. Or find a PC with a disc drive/get a disc drive and take the drivers off the disc.
From any source including my own backups. I don't need current drivers for any hardware to work.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Probably the dumbest thing I'll read today.

Enjoy worrying about not having Internet to get a disc drive, that you'll probably never even buy, working.
I built my first PC in 2021...and I can't remember what a needed internet for.

I do know to finish installing the OS I needed the internet. Was doing a free upgrade from Win 7.

From any source including my own backups. I don't need current drivers for any hardware to work.
Does your PC have a disc drive?

And I would like to see you play a current game on out the box gpu divers.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

If people are really crying over this lol. good luck with gaming in the future. I think a lot of people here need to start and search for some other "offline" hobbies.

Are these people who make a HUGE deal over this, the same people who cum over their Gamepass library?
Most people complaining over this dislike GamePass model and MS’ drive to make physical media to go away.

You are making wrong assumptions here. The base concern is that this hardware DRM will render the disk drive useless in say 15-20 years when Sony kills their with servers.

People play/buy/ modify retro consoles all the time. This particular feature will make new PS5 and most likely upcoming Pro useless at that time.

nikos

I built my first PC in 2021...and I can't remember what a needed internet for.

I do know to finish installing the OS I needed the internet. Was doing a free upgrade from Win 7.

Does your PC have a disc drive?

I have been doing it since the late 90s. You're going to need Internet, especially these days.

Guy is either trolling or enjoys arguing about stupid shit. Imagine crying about needing an Internet connection in 2023.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What's it like living in the stone age?
Did you understand the discussion? The thread is about a piece of hardware that needs connection to a official server to work the first time or/and if I reset my system. If I reset my PC I don't need to connect to any server of even need internet for some of my hardware to work.

StereoVsn

If you care about preservation you don't buy a digital only console, for starters
It’s also present in the “disk version” which is the same as digital bundled with the disk drive and different panel covers. The underlying console is all the same.

Solution is to buy the OG PS5 but the issue is more for down the road vs now. Right now yeah, it’s quick and easy with a downside that there could be some glitches or outages. But years down the line when Sony kills the Auth servers, and PS5 is somewhat of a retro console, this will be an issue.

Edit: I am really not a fan of iOS autocorrect. Jeez it’s terrible.

Last edited:

nikos

Did you understand the discussion? The thread is about a piece of hardware that needs connection to a official server to work the first time or/and if I reset my system. If I reset my PC I don't need to connect to any server of even need internet for some of my hardware to work.

Yes you do. Your hardware won't properly function at the most basic level without your motherboard's chipset drivers. You're also more than likely going to have BIOS updates. You often won't even be able to connect to the Internet to get those without LAN drivers, which you'll sometimes need a second device + the Internet to obtain.

I can't believe I'm even arguing this. I wish you actually DIDN'T have Internet so you couldn't share your stupid fucking opinions.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yes you do. Your hardware won't properly function at the most basic level without your motherboard's chipset drivers. You're also more than likely going to have BIOS updates. You often won't even be able to connect to the Internet to get those without LAN drivers, which you'll sometimes need a second device + the Internet to obtain.

I can't believe I'm even arguing this. I wish you actually DIDN'T have Internet so you couldn't share your stupid fucking opinions.
WIndows 10 and 11 already has chipset drivers. What year is it? Bios are not drivers and updates are only needed if your motherboard is too old for the CPU and still can be done offline.

Hugare

It’s also present in the “disk version” which is the same as digital bundled with the disk drive and different panel covers. The underlying console is all the same.

Solution is to buy the OG PS5 but the issue is more for down the road vs now. Right now yeah, it’s quick and easy with a downside that there could be some glitches or outages. But years down the line when Sony kills the Auth servers, and PS5 is somewhat of a retro console, this will be an issue.

Edit: I am really not a fan of iOS autocorrect. Jeez it’s terrible.
Yeah, I meant buying the OG if you really care about preservation

This should be expected. The "disk version" is by all means a digital console only, so people should be aware of that.

nikos

WIndows 10 and 11 already has chipset drivers. What year is it? Bios are not drivers and updates are only needed if your motherboard is too old for the CPU and still can be done offline.

You're wrong. Built four systems for myself in the last five years, latest being in September, and even more for others. You don't know what you're talking about.

Keep crying about having to need Internet for things...on the Internet.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You're wrong. Built four systems for myself in the last five years, latest being in September, and even more for others. You don't know what you're talking about.
Sure I am wrong. Or my Windows is unique with chipset drivers included plus also included on motherboard driver disk.

Keep smiling about don't needing Internet for some things.
Ftfy.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to register a hardware addon whatsoever.
For any platform.
Ever.
Well, yeah, in a perfect world where every artist, engineer, and programmer is adequately compensated by society. A world where greedy middle-men haven't inserted themselves into the process and convinced manufacturers that they need to "protect IP".

I shouldn't "have to" have a lock on my front door, either. We shouldn't "have to" have standing armies, pollution regulations, or welfare. Maybe someday.

sn0man

Nah. Not the same people. Microsoft sucks and has since the Xbox one required online to set up a device. These are people that love games and love ownership.

sn0man

I can't believe I'm even arguing this.
Yet here you are arguing with someone about PC hardware and drivers when he was just trying to make and analogy and the whole time you could have stopped but you didn’t.

So now we get to see you and the other person get into a PC dick measuring contest when all we said is essentially “Sony is being shitty for requiring an internet connection for a video game console to use its physical game distribution method hardware that comes shipped in the box.”

sn0man

Well, yeah, in a perfect world where every artist, engineer, and programmer is adequately compensated by society. A world where greedy middle-men haven't inserted themselves into the process and convinced manufacturers that they need to "protect IP".

I shouldn't "have to" have a lock on my front door, either. We shouldn't "have to" have standing armies, pollution regulations, or welfare. Maybe someday.
Ironically for video game consoles that day was before the XboxOne showed up and decided we should have internet and now Sony saw that enough folks have shrugged and decided these devices are disposable like diapers.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Hand Give GIF by Fantastic3dcreation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom