• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS5-TV] VRR and ALLM on a 2019 Samsung Q70R (HDMI 2.0)

Nestunt

Hi everyone, I'm looking for help on this subject, please =)

My father got himself a PS5, and his TV is a 2019 Samsung Q70R.

Since that's HDMI 2.0, but I've read in more than one place that it works for some TVs (because of FreeSync Ultimate), I don't know what's the best configuration in the PS5 menu:
  • VRR – Off or Automatic?
  • Apply to Unsupported Games?
  • 120 Hz Output – Off or Automatic?
  • ALLM - Off or Automatic?
(It says that even if I turn this setting off, ALLM will be enabled while using VRR)
  • HDR – On When Supported or Always On?
And on the TV menu:
  • Game Mode On?
  • FreeSync – Basic, Ultimate or Off?
Is there any benefit in activating VRR for this PS5-TV combo? And ALLM?

Thank you for your help, if any of you have come across with this.

You're in luck today, friendo. I recently replaced a Q70R with a QN85C.

The Q70R pre-dates HDMI 2.1 VRR and if you connect it to the PS5 using HDMI 1 port ONLY (do not use 2, 3, or 4) it will report to the PS5 as being VRR capable. If you try to use HDMI 2, 3, or 4 it will fuck up very badly with picture constantly cutting out while trying to use VRR. However, even on HDMI 1 it is buggy because it is actually FreeSync, which is what HDMI 2.1 VRR is based on, but it is not actually HDMI 2.1 VRR. Some games will work correctly, others will not. You can try it with the games you have and see how it goes.

On the PS5:

VRR = Automatic, or OFF if the game fucks up trying to use VRR. Symptoms of the game fucking up include showing just a black screen, having washed out or wrong colors in VRR + HDR, or the picture constantly cutting out.

Apply to Unsupported Games = OFF

120 Hz Output = OFF. The Q70R is a 60 hz TV. It does not support 120 hz. (Technically it supports 1080p/120 hz but I know of zero PS5 games which use this mode.)

ALLM = OFF. The Q70R is too old to support ALLM. (See below)

HDR = On When Supported, or OFF if you don't like how HDR looks on that TV. The Q70R is a pretty early HDR supporting TV, and the HDR doesn't really get much brighter or look much better than the SDR. If the HDR seems too dark or dim on that TV while gaming, just turn it off.

On the TV:

Game Mode = ON. The Q70R does not support ALLM, you must turn Game Mode on and off yourself.

FreeSync = Ultimate

In the end, I had enough issues with my Q70R trying to make VRR work right on my PS5 that I just gave up and bought a new TV. Also I wanted 4K/120 hz support for my gaming PC. That's why I bought the QN85C which is a 2023 model.

Last edited:

Nestunt

You're in luck today, friendo. I recently replaced a Q70R with a QN85C.

The Q70R pre-dates HDMI 2.1 VRR and if you connect it to the PS5 using HDMI 1 port ONLY (do not use 2, 3, or 4) it will report to the PS5 as being VRR capable.

FreeSync = Ultimate

Thank you so much for your real-life account.

Two extra questions, regarding what I'm quoting:

I am almost certain that I connected the console to the HDMI 1 port, and the PS5 reported VRR as "not supported".

If I end up switching everything on the PS5 to OFF, should I switch FreeSync to OFF also?

Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your real-life account.

Two extra questions, regarding what I'm quoting:

I am almost certain that I connected the console to the HDMI 1 port, and the PS5 reported VRR as "not supported".

If I end up switching everything on the PS5 to OFF, should I switch FreeSync to OFF also?

Thanks again!
Turning FreeSync on the TV to OFF will make it not support VRR.

The HDMI ports are numbered bottom to top. HDMI 1 is the lowest port.

If the PS5 is reporting VRR is not supported even with FreeSync set to Ultimate, your dad probably has never connected the TV to the Internet. It needs the latest firmware updates to properly report that it supports VRR to the PS5. So start by doing that and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Nestunt

If the PS5 is reporting VRR is not supported even with FreeSync set to Ultimate, your dad probably has never connected the TV to the Internet. It needs the latest firmware updates to properly report that it supports VRR to the PS5. So start by doing that and see how it goes.

It was probably this. I'm pretty sure that his TV has up-to-date firmware, since it was also me who configured the internet and other apps (Netflix, HBO, etc) on his TV.

I must have disabled the FreeSync option.

So, you say "Some games will work correctly, others will not"... Is it worth the risk? Bear in mind that I won't be there on a daily basis and can't micro-manage if his experience is being diminished/buggy because of changing these settings to accommodate VRR.

Top Bottom