• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 version of Elden Ring Runs is a Sad Version.

zeldaring

Banned
Just completed Elden Ring the PS4 version on ps5. I decided to replay new game plus and try the ps5 version. The loading times are lighting, fast but the frame rate is just annoying with slow down constantly compared to the ps4 version which was a beautiful locked 60fps. How the fuck can such a great developer be so shit at optimizing games like the ps4 version 60fps locked and with these load times would have made a huge difference to my experience. So i can downgrade to ps4 version or i'm screwed?

edit: can mod remove runs from the title.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I think think it can be done because I have accidentally downloaded the PS4 version of multiple games before so I assume you’d just uninstall the PS5 version and then navigate till you find the PS4 version again?

Reactions: K2D

zeldaring

Banned
I think think it can be done because I have accidentally downloaded the PS4 version of multiple games before so I assume you’d just uninstall the PS5 version and then navigate till you find the PS4 version again?
The problem is i wanted to do new game plus if i delete can i still keep my save?

zeldaring

Banned
I fell like playing different game than most people, I had barely any framerate issue when I replayed replayed Elden Ring on my PS5.
Dude i have 167 hours in the ps4 version and ps5 version is just shit. Most videos online with fps counters shows the frame-rate constantly dropping 10fps i thought i would not notice but man it's hard on the eyes. Really said that fromsoftware could not lower the setting on PS5 cause those load times are really nice.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Same here. I didn’t have any issues and I was jumping all over the place slicing everything in sight.
Also in my recently playthrough I used parry more frequently, if the framerate was big issue then that parry would have been annoying but I was able to pull it off no problem.
Dude i have 167 hours in the ps4 version and ps5 version is just shit. Most videos online with fps counters shows the frame-rate constantly dropping 10fps i thought i would not notice but man it's hard on the eyes. Really said that fromsoftware could not lower the setting on PS5 cause those load times are really nice.
And I put over 300 hours in to game and platinum it and I never experienced crazy frame drops at all.
9QOXeT4.png

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I haven't played the game but are you playing on a VRR TV?
My tv only goes 60HZ it says it does but i doubt it.

• V-Gaming Engine - Automatically optimizes picture mode for gaming and makes the latest console gameplay even more responsive with Auto Game Mode, Variable Refresh Rate with AMD FreeSync, M-Series lowest input lag, and newly-added gaming menu.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

I didn’t notice too many issues playing on performance mode very recently on PS5, but I haven’t played the PS4 version to compare the two.

Zuzu

My tv only goes 60HZ it says it does but i doubt it.

• V-Gaming Engine - Automatically optimizes picture mode for gaming and makes the latest console gameplay even more responsive with Auto Game Mode, Variable Refresh Rate with AMD FreeSync, M-Series lowest input lag, and newly-added gaming menu.
I'd suggest you go into your PS5 screen settings and check that VRR is definitely turned on.

Zuzu

i just turned it on for unsupported games, hopefully it makes a difference.

Hopefully. Sometimes VRR doesn't completely solve the issue of a game feeling jerky. For example, Jedi Survivor on Series X still feel stuttery even with VRR on in performance mode. VRR does seem to take away the screen tearing I think but it still isn't a smooth game to play (might be to do with other issues with that game like the streaming/loading system they use). Let me know if it makes any difference. (Also, the PS5 VRR window only goes down to 48hz unlike the Series X which can go down to 40hz, so if Elden Ring is dipping below 48fps then VRR won't help when that happens.)

zeldaring

Banned
Hopefully. Sometimes VRR doesn't completely solve the issue of a game feeling jerky. For example, Jedi Survivor on Series X still feel stuttery even with VRR on in performance mode. VRR does seem to take away the screen tearing I think but it still isn't a smooth game to play (might be to do with other issues with that game like the streaming/loading system they use). Let me know if it makes any difference. (Also, the PS5 VRR window only goes down to 48hz unlike the Series X which can go down to 40hz, so if Elden Ring is dipping below 48fps then VRR won't help when that happens.)
I think it's helping or my eyes are getting used to it lol. Thanks.

Back on release I was debating which version to go with and the frame consistency of the PS4 version led me to choose that to run on my PS5. Maybe they'll improve the PS5 version (or slaughter the PS4 version) when they release the DLC, but for now I think PS4 version on PS5 is the right move.

zeldaring

Banned
Its pathetic how it never was fixed. Shame on them. A great game that feels bad to play.
The horse riding really feels bad compared tot he ps4 version even with VVR, but i'm gonna stock the ps5 version since i already beat the game and the graphics look much better. it sucks but what can you do.

How much longer are the loadtimes of the PS4 version?

Because with the amount of times I die I rather have the fast loadtimes instead of a couple of extra frames.

skit_data

I didn't find it too bad, definitely better now than at release. It's not perfect and has some hiccups, but it's playable.
PS4 version was a dream though, rock solid.
Platinumed both versions but I spent less time in the PS5 version because I mainly explored in the PS4 version.

zeldaring

Banned
How much longer are the loadtimes of the PS4 version?

Because with the amount of times I die I rather have the fast loadtimes instead of a couple of extra frames.
PS5 version stutters a lot. would have been nice to have a locked ps5 version with fast load times.

Portugeezer

When a game is so good, you can overlook those things.

That said, the irregular framerate was very noticeable in the open world when moving fast on horseback. Other sections of the game was smooth.

Just completed Elden Ring the PS4 version on ps5. I decided to replay new game plus and try the ps5 version. The loading times are lighting, fast but the frame rate is just annoying with slow down constantly compared to the ps4 version which was a beautiful locked 60fps. How the fuck can such a great developer be so shit at optimizing games like the ps4 version 60fps locked and with these load times would have made a huge difference to my experience. So i can downgrade to ps4 version or i'm screwed?

edit: can mod remove runs from the title.
OP, I think you might have missed this recent GAF thread lol: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/lanc...-build-has-no-compiler-optimizations.1660232/

skneogaf

Pc version also stutters from loading and the ray tracing is very demanding even on my 4090.

Allegedly armoured core runs very well on pc even at 120fps so they are able to fix the issues, hopefully the game will be patched for the better when the dlc comes out in the distant future.

Ogbert

It really is insane how they could not get a solid 60fps on a cross gen game.
They just don’t care.

Look at Bloodborne’s framepacing. It’s not even the fact that the games release like that. It’s more that they don’t care to revisit them and improve the performance.

Compare how much stick Bethesda get.

From are the biggest darlings in the industry.

Embearded

Classic From Software situation.
They never come back to fix their shit. Together with GameFreak they might be the two studios with the worst technical expertise in the AAA area. They should be awarded.

Gudji

Idk I just finished a sorcerer run though on ps5. Just use performance mode and no RT. Seemed fine.
It's hard for people that are sensitive to frame rate drops and stuttering, it gets really annoying. I've downloaded the PS5 version multiple times (each time they introduced new patch) but the sameissues continue to exist unfortunately.

skit_data

My biggest gripe with the PS5 version is that it still has no frame cap on the quality mode. There could be an argument made for playing 30 fps with quality mode + RT but now its just all over the place in terms of framerate which effectively makes the mode a no go.

IIRC it's also necessary to exit to main menu for graphic mode changes to take effect so if you're fiddling around with those don't forget that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom