• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Amazon is No Longer offering Release Day Delivery for MANY of its Game Preorders

Gambit2483

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but Amazon is no longer offering release date delivery for a large majority of their videogame preorders.

Out of the 5 preorders I have/had with Amazon only one was releasing with launch day delivery. The rest would be shipping 4 days to 2 weeks after launch date. Just a heads up for those that typically preordergames with Amazon.

Yes this also includes Prime members

Last edited:
I gave up on release day delivery from Amazon ages ago - they don't always ship on time, and when they do it's still quicker to pick it up from GameStop

Reactions: TLZ

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I had to cancel all of my pre-orders of theirs for this reason. All of them were arriving late. Some many weeks late.

LordCBH

Amazon raises the Prime cost consistently every couple of years while making the product actively worse. Fuck Amazon, fuck Bezos, and fuck the current dick running Amazon.

Edit: Aso, fuck The Rings of Power. They stupid amount of $$$ they pumped into that abortion is probably why the rest of the service suffers.

Last edited:

phant0m

I stopped ordering games from them years ago. Trying to stop in general too but some stuff is just SO much cheaper

Lunarorbit

I never thought I'd adopt digital as quickly as I did this generation. Between best buy getting rid of their game deals and Amazon's horrible service it was made easier.

Going into target and seeing the ridiculous prices of physical games is stupifying. Ghost of tsuwhatever is still $60. Re village was $9.97 and me legendary edition is $6. Retail shops don't even try to give a fuck anymore

Laieon

They've been hit or miss with games and movies for awhile now. I almost always get books delivered a day or two early than release date though, so I guess they're sticking to their roots.

Barakov

Definitely not preordering stuff off there anymore. Amazon is only good for lower prices on items for me now. I'll think I'll just go to gamestop for physical games from now on. Amazon made things quick and convenient. Now they're making things slow and unconvienent. Fuck'em.

TLZ

Banned
I'm not sure I've ever had a game delivered from them on release day, even though they say same day delivery.

Happened a couple times that I'd preorder very early then close to release my order gets pushed back. Then I look at the game's product page and it still shows buy now delivery tomorrow etc. So I cancel my pre-order and reorder again and I get my delivery the next day. I don't understand why.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Physical games are getting difficult to get. Thankfully I’ve got few smaller shops who send day before release. Sometimes even day earlier, so I was playing Elden ring and hogwarts day before release

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've actually been using GameStop more recently because of this. Although they have been good recently, Amazon has slacked overall the past few years for day of game releases.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Best Buy is 100% reliable for me and I get release day shipping for free with no stupid subscription.

Don't order anything from Amazon ever. Buy from other stores.

This is what happens with this sell for a loss until you become a monopoly thing. Once you get everyone, you lessen costs and/or increase prices.
I used to get a free month of Prime everytime I didn't get something with 2 day shipping. Now a lot of my orders don't get here in 2 days.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Moved all my pre-orders off them last year after having about five games in a row arrive 1+ week late. Moved everything to Walmart, they seem to be pretty responsive, and there are a few times the games have arrived a few days early!

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Amazon is not as good as it used to be but one problem they always had was that I received games with loose discs or it would be banged up a bit. They ship them and flimsy bubble envelope.

Most of the time I use eBay now for video game orders. At least you're dealing directly with a person who wants to make sure they keep their number of stars up for their positive rating. A lot of times I'll tell the shipper to make sure they ship it in a bubble envelope or if it's something really valuable, in a padded box. I've been fortunate enough to have most sellers be pretty good about shipping things.

Darkmakaimura

I also recommend using Walmart. I don't know if this is the case with all Walmarts, but if you pick it up in store the games are $10 less than listed on their website. That even includes things like Nintendo first party games which are never on sale but on Walmart it'll still be $10 less than the listed price.

Solarium

Neo Member
this has been the case for physical album/movie preorders as well for a while

if you complain or say anything you get the "this is an expected arrival window, not guaranteed." *eyeroll*

Solarium

Neo Member
additionally, I've had better luck getting the most obscure physical releases at even best buy rather than attempting to get them on amazon, it's literally crazy

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm still waiting for my Metroid Prime Remake (not even shipped).

Edit: oh wait the date of arrival was moved to April 7~10 haha.
Same here - my copy says it'll arrive March 27th. Sadly it's sold out everywhere else, or I'd buy it somewhere else.

I wonder if they made a SUPER limited number of copies of this game or something.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
UK here, I noticed the other day RE4 would be delivered the day after release if I pre-ordered it. Weird.

Zelda is still release day for me.

Darkmakaimura

You pay more for less now (Prime).
One thing I like about Amazon Prime is Amazon Fresh. I have issues with transportation so I find it convenient to order my groceries with that and they usually come the same day or next day.

But, the problem is with it is that they're overpriced somewhat. Plus Amazon Fresh used to have a lot more variety and I could order even video games through it but they stop now unfortunately a while back so it's mainly just groceries and household items now.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's why I rely on Best Buy for games themselves these days.

If it's a new game, I go with BB 9/10 times as well cause the store is close to my house and also they often have exclusive launch steel books.

And I like collecting steel books.

The RE4 remake is next

6532907_rd.jpg;maxHeight=2000;maxWidth=2000

ReBurn

Gold Member
Amazon's reliability has been in decline for the past year or so. The last physical game I bought from them was the Atari 50 collection for Switch. It arrived two days after release even though they advertised release day delivery.

I don't buy many games day 1 any more so I'm not too concerned about this but what used to be next day or two day seems to be a day longer now.

Dane

This is the standard in Brazil lol, if you want it on day and date you need to pick up at independent stores, sometimes you get even days earlier.

I did preorder RE3: Remake from Amazon awhile back on received it on day one. If you are not getting the game on day one from now on, then besides maybe a few exclusive extras included what’s the point in preordering with Amazon then? Well, besides convenience I suppose.

Last edited:

njean777

That’s why I just buy digital now. I wake up before stores open, and I don’t want to wait till 8pm or the next day for Amazon.

Only games I buy physical are switch games, I don’t trust Nintendo when it comes to digital games.

Last edited:
That’s a bummer, but considering how much of the market has been moving to digital sales it’s hardly a surprise. There may not be enough sales to make such a rushed delivery worth the effort for Amazon.

Hip Hop

This should give you a signal that Amazon no longer cares about physical gaming and if they don't care, it's a dying medium. And honestly, they are probably doing this to push people to digital.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Welcome to the world of third world countries retail

Eh. It's just amazon and that too mostly with games. Some other retailers here in India indeed do release day delivery. Amazon too is excellent with other items, often offering same day delivery, but for games they are pretty bad. They mostly even ship after release date, let alone release date delivery.

Top Bottom