• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Amazon is No Longer offering Release Day Delivery for MANY of its Game Preorders

recma12

This should give you a signal that Amazon no longer cares about physical gaming and if they don't care, it's a dying medium. And honestly, they are probably doing this to push people to digital.

IMO it's a big picture thing, not sth Amazon is doing on purpose.
At the end of the day, Amazon runs on cheap human labor and cheap transportation and since the pandemic + Ukraine war, these foundations are crumbling.

Can only speak for Amazon.de but I noticed how there aren't any great deals on Amazon anymore and shipping times have increased across the board.
3 or 4 years I couldn't even fathom ordering somewhere besides Amazon bc they always had the best deal and everything was free next day shipping (with Prime).

Actually wanted to preorder Hogwarts on Amazon when the reviews dropped but they only offered delivery on Monday 13th.

Alandring

lmao at anyone who buys a game off of amazon. literally just walk into any mom and pop store. or just get it digital.
I bought Fire Emblem Engage on Amazon.fr. It arrives January 26th, but I don't really care (I don't plan to play the game before all DLC are available), but it was by far the cheapest option (40 CHF, against 55 CHF on one of the cheapest retailer in Switzerland, or 77.90 CHF on the Nintendo eShop...).

And for me, Prime is an absolutely amazing deal. It would be worth just for the free sub on Twitch (I sub on one channel every month, so I would pay if it wasn't free), but when you add the free games and Prime Video...

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Leave it out with the ‘fuck physical’ remarks. Fuck Amazon.

Several online retailers (at least in UK) you can still get physical couple of days before release date.

Reallink

I'm not sure why anyone continues paying them $180/year for Prime, everything takes 4-6 days now. I'd order shit on Tuesdays and it wouldn't come til the following Monday.

OuterLimits

I gave up on release day delivery from Amazon ages ago - they don't always ship on time, and when they do it's still quicker to pick it up from GameStop
Not a huge fan of Gamestop, but I have started giving them my business again for this very reason. Some of the wait times for Amazon are laughably bad.

OuterLimits

That’s a bummer, but considering how much of the market has been moving to digital sales it’s hardly a surprise. There may not be enough sales to make such a rushed delivery worth the effort for Amazon.
It definitely seems that Switch games sell significantly more on Amazon than PS4/5. Not surprising though since the digital % of sales on Switch is probably less than PS4/5

Last edited:
It definitely seems that Switch games sell significantly more on Amazon than PS4/5. Not surprising though since the digital % of sales on Switch is probably less than PS4/5
That is true. Going digital on switch is more of a pain due to small onboard memory and their obtuse online verification requirement to play on non home consoles.

One thing I like about Amazon Prime is Amazon Fresh. I have issues with transportation so I find it convenient to order my groceries with that and they usually come the same day or next day.

But, the problem is with it is that they're overpriced somewhat. Plus Amazon Fresh used to have a lot more variety and I could order even video games through it but they stop now unfortunately a while back so it's mainly just groceries and household items now.
Amazon fresh orders is 40% down than last year. They fired many sorters and they operate with 1/3 of the them. But there is no recession, fuck Victoria Nuland and her obsession with wars.

GymWolf

Lol they never did it for me even before this news.

You buy from amazon automatically means no game to play at day one, prime and 1day delivery is a scam since forever.

They don't even have lower\inviting prices, you just pay full price, i swear the only good thing about about amazon is their return policy.

Last edited:
Yep don't buy from those clowns. Once upon a time you could get not only release day delivery, but also a $20 credit along with many of the big games. Now they charge way more for Prime and you hardly get any actual useful benefit. They at least had 2 day delivery on almost everything with Prime even just a year or two ago. Now? Good luck getting most things that quick. The stuff that is actually 2 day shipping is about the only decent benefit left.

Last edited:

Calverz

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but Amazon is no longer offering release date delivery for a large majority of their videogame preorders.

Out of the 5 preorders I have/had with Amazon only one was releasing with launch day delivery. The rest would be shipping 4 days to 2 weeks after launch date. Just a heads up for those that typically preordergames with Amazon.

Yes this also includes Prime members
What country you in? Amazon almost always deliver a day early for me. I got ps5 day before launch.

This has been such a long running problem in Canada, even with prime. I think the last game they fucked me over with was Spider-Man, but even prior to that it was a 50/50 draw whether you would get it on time or not. Spider-Man was the last time I ordered one from them, now if I want something on release day I go pick it up.

Seems weird. I never buy at launch but if regular small shops have it on launch day and or other mail businesses too, amazon would shoot themselves, handling it with lowest possible priority and than get even less orders as the shrinking market anyway offers.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ayo Fuck Physical.

mark-wahlberg-what-no.gif

This is like the worst takeaway from this topic ...

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but Amazon is no longer offering release date delivery for a large majority of their videogame preorders.

Out of the 5 preorders I have/had with Amazon only one was releasing with launch day delivery. The rest would be shipping 4 days to 2 weeks after launch date. Just a heads up for those that typically preordergames with Amazon.

Yes this also includes Prime members
They pretty much quit doing that YEARS ago when they quit offering discounts for preorders. Probably 5-6 years ago. There were (and still are) some games that they will offer release day delivery but it depends on the game and the customer location.

Impotaku

Order frequently from amazon uk and amazon japan and 9 times out of 10 any game I preordered turns up when it’s supposed to hope my luck holds out.

Synless

So this has been true for a while now. I have had several games miss that deadline. Worse than that however is their preorders on other shit like figures, or niche electronics That are movie/game related. I have had many, that I’ve preordered the day it went up get delayed, then delayed again, and finally cancelled. I don’t preorder shit from them anymore.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I wish I had a local Best Buy, but they do great on day one shipping.

As a bonus they occasionally offer steelbooks. In RE4 REmake's case, I can't seem to get the steenbok with it though. I see the product page for the steenbok, but it simply says Not for Individual Sale.

Bond007

Ive been using amazon almost exclusively for a few years now on preorders. Always got release day shipping and always arrived on time. I actually cancelled my Jedi Survivor cause i was seeing it come nearly a week later. Bummer- hopefully not the new norm in my area.
Funko Pops via amazon preorder? Dont bother

And yea i prefer physical. I have two sons with a PS5 each/ sharing discs is nice and we own the discs we can ultimately decide to trade if were ever inclined. (Ownership)

Last edited:

Portugeezer

That sucks, guess people will have to walk down to their local stores to order.

Usually got my games day 1 with no issues.

I wonder what % of gamers still order physical copies. Bet its not even in double digits.
That's incorrect. I don't remember the exact number but I believe it's pretty high, around 40%. Probably even higher for day 1 releases.

Last edited:
IMO it's a big picture thing, not sth Amazon is doing on purpose.
At the end of the day, Amazon runs on cheap human labor and cheap transportation and since the pandemic + Ukraine war, these foundations are crumbling.

Can only speak for Amazon.de but I noticed how there aren't any great deals on Amazon anymore and shipping times have increased across the board.
3 or 4 years I couldn't even fathom ordering somewhere besides Amazon bc they always had the best deal and everything was free next day shipping (with Prime).

Actually wanted to preorder Hogwarts on Amazon when the reviews dropped but they only offered delivery on Monday 13th.
There's no reason for Amazon to compete. Stores like Best Buy have completely left my area and I have to drive over 20 miles to visit a Gamestop. Amazon usually wins by the sheer convenience of delivering the game to my doorstep for no shipping charge vs. Me needing to make a roughly one hour round trip to puckup from a Gamestop. With brick and mortar stores in decline all Amazon has to offer is the same product at the sane price for more convenience these days.

night13x

Amazon is progressively going bad to shit while having the balls to keep on raising their price for prime.

Latest experience with prime:

Preorder when the game first went on preorder. Delayed my copy for 2 weeks while putting the product back up for available day after release

Constantly putting expensive items in shitty boxes with no packing.

Now taking away 2 day / release day delivery.

But hey hopefully the rich shareholders and CEO gets paid. That's the most important thing we all should be concerned about

Top Bottom