• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Gamestop offering up to $325 for X1X and PS4 Pro

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
$200 for base PS4. $225 for Xbox One S.

More prices here
gamestop.com/trade/?q=Consoles&tileView=list

You need the Gamestop Pro membership to get the $50 extra credit but its only $15 a year so it pays for itself with this trade.

The best part is that they are offering $260 for defective consoles. My X1X's hdmi port is broken and it doesnt even display anything on TV, and they gave me $260 for it lol.

P.S if you dont bring the controller, controller charging cable and HDMI cable, they will deduct up to $20 for each missing part. So be sure to bring everything. The deal might end tonight, but the website doesnt say when the deal ends so it might run next week too.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Too bad they don't have any current gen consoles available since I'm still using my XBOX One X.
I saw a series s (used) for $280.

It might not give you 4k like the x1x, but if you care about 60 fps then its definitely an upgrade. And wont cost you a thing.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty much what you would get on eBay (or better) except no fees or hassle. Good deals. Even last gen gaming is still in incredible demand.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I sold one of my X1X for $275. I didn’t know. Ugh. The other one I sold it for $330 once I realize the chip shortage was playing in my favor.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Only $200, or $220 for a PS4 Pro. Not really worth selling.
No it's not.

Literally says $275 base trade-in credit on their website.

After the promo OP mentioned it is/was $325. Not sure when this ends, that's why I say "is/was".

Of course if you want cash, they're going to offer less. Not like you can't buy digital currency or some other games at GameStop though...

Nope. i got $325 for a PS4 Pro today.

They conveniently are ignoring the "trade-in credit" option and referring to the cash option.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

They also have this going on: trade in 5 games get 50% extra credit.

They are also offering 50% extra trade-in credit (or 60% extra trade-in credit if you're power up pro rewards member) for controllers.

Got ~$19 trade-in credit for an Xbox 360 controller, $40 trade-in credit for an Xbox One controller, and $64 trade-in credit for a pair of switch joy cons.

last time i traded in a console....i read a tip online that said to not factory reset ur console or anything. Just bring it in as is. That way its way quicker for them to test it to see if it works and everything. Otherwise ur gonna be sitting around for awhile.

I was in and out in like 15 mins by leaving my console intact. Then when they are done checking it out....have them factory reset it in front of u.

also. clean ur console and make it look nice. They will use a blow dryer thing in the fan for dust at Gamestop. But i mean the outer plastic shell. I got docked $20 for a scuff mark on the top of my xbox.

Last edited:
As soon as I saw "GameStop" in the thread title, my mind went "are you sure it isn't $3.25, OP?".

But if those prices are true, it's indeed a great deal.

Remember fellas, it's chip shortage time. You can't even buy last gen consoles, new. So, if GameStop are offering these good prices, then you MUST get better offers on your local Craigslist or eBay.

Check the average selling price of your last gen consoles currently, on Craigslist and eBay, before trading them at GameStop for these prices.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Can store credit be used on Steam codes? Are you sure they'll take a defective console that doesn't display anything, or did you just get lucky?

By the way you need a wireless controller for them to take it. Unfortunately I don't have any more for my Xbox.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Can store credit be used on Steam codes? Are you sure they'll take a defective console that doesn't display anything, or did you just get lucky?

By the way you need a wireless controller for them to take it. Unfortunately I don't have any more for my Xbox.
They will just take off around $40 for the missing controller. You can still get $285 for a working x1x.

And yes I asked them multiple times and they said yes. I had to go back home to pick up the x1x and had them verify the price on defective units and then told them exactly what was defective about my x1x. They said is fine. I couldn’t believe it either but it made sense when they rang it up for $325 and charged me $75 refurbishment fee. They must have a contract with a company that fixes these consoles for $75.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Crazy, but I've sold my X1X Scorpio Edition for 7300CZK....where is my calculator....oh yes 330USD, so I guess I got a pretty good deal. But it was in the November last year.

Better deal was selling 4 year old 1050Ti for 1.5x more than it cost me back in 2017. If I would wanted a new house I would sold RTX3090, but thankfully I don't have to.

ManaByte

Gold Member
GameStop prepping their list of games for you to pre-order when you trade in your system:
list GIF

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I have an Xbox One X with a PS3 hooked up to the HDMI out, its own TV tuner and 12tflop Xcloud streaming coming Q4 2021

TRADE IN FOR WHAT!

Dream-Knife

Banned
No it's not.

Literally says $275 base trade-in credit on their website.

After the promo OP mentioned it is/was $325. Not sure when this ends, that's why I say "is/was".

Of course if you want cash, they're going to offer less. Not like you can't buy digital currency or some other games at GameStop though...

They conveniently are ignoring the "trade-in credit" option and referring to the cash option.
Nope. i got $325 for a PS4 Pro today.
I was talking about cash.

I'm on PC now, why would I want gamestop store credit?

How do they make money off this. Ive never really understood tbh.
I remember once bestbuy Canada had a deal where if you traded in any three games in they would trade you 3 brand new games (at the time it was ac black flags, call of duty, and some others game I forgot) we were all like how is this in anyway profitable? lol

People were trading in like 6-7 year old games. lol.

Unk Adams

Banned
This would be a good deal if you could put it towards one of the new consoles but we all know it's going to be a pain in the ass actually walking into a GS and finding one anytime this year. Who wants to go through the holiday season without one of these consoles? So yes, the amount they're giving isn't bad but there's a reason they're giving so much. They can probably sell these (even old) things immediately because the demand is so huge right now.

kiphalfton

As soon as I saw "GameStop" in the thread title, my mind went "are you sure it isn't $3.25, OP?".

But if those prices are true, it's indeed a great deal.

Remember fellas, it's chip shortage time. You can't even buy last gen consoles, new. So, if GameStop are offering these good prices, then you MUST get better offers on your local Craigslist or eBay.

Check the average selling price of your last gen consoles currently, on Craigslist and eBay, before trading them at GameStop for these prices.

eBay fees are 12.9% and shipping is probably going to be at least $30. You would have to sell the console for ~$410 on ebay to get $325 after fees and shipping cost. And that's assuming you don't get some scammer who files a charge back and doesn't rip you off and get the console for free.

On Facebook marketplace, craigslist, etc. it's "lowballer/flake central". You'll be lucky if you posted the console for $325, and got people who didn't flake or offer you have your asking price.

It's a good deal, and it's a heck of a lot more convenient than selling on eBay or locally. But I'm sure you don't have any experience doing either of those things and would rather be the vocal group who hates GameStop for the sake of hating GameStop because it's cool. Does GameStop suck in many regards, hell yeah, but it's okay to give credit when credits due.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I was talking about cash.

I'm on PC now, why would I want gamestop store credit?
Yes, because I have a thorough understanding of your situation.

GameStop sells steam gift cards and Xbox gift cards. You can use trade credit to buy steam gift card or Xbox gift cards, to buy games on steam or Xbox game pass store, respectvely.

If this deal isn't for you, why are you paying on this thread though?

Unk Adams

Banned
eBay fees are 12.9% and shipping is probably going to be at least $30. You would have to sell the console for ~$410 on ebay to get $325 after fees and shipping cost. And that's assuming you don't get some scammer who files a charge back and doesn't rip you off and get the console for free.

On Facebook marketplace, craigslist, etc. it's "lowballer/flake central". You'll be lucky if you posted the console for $325, and got people who didn't flake or offer you have your asking price.

It's a good deal, and it's a heck of a lot more convenient than selling on eBay or locally. But I'm sure you don't have any experience doing either of those things and would rather be the vocal group who hates GameStop for the sake of hating GameStop because it's cool. Does GameStop suck in many regards, hell yeah, but it's okay to give credit when credits due.
You're right. GS isn't the problem. People in general are. As bad as GS can be the other options are much worse. Good luck dealing with the nasty and entitled jackasses on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. The customer service in smaller shops or pawn stores in my experience is worse than GS and they give lower trade in values. By the time you actually get a decent buyer (if you do) you've spent more hours dealing with idiots than it would take to actually work and buy a game system brand new.

Oh, and if you sell it yourself on Amazon or eBay and someone scams you? Tough shit. Literally no one will care and you won't be able to do anything about it.

Last edited:

Reallink

Where does the $325 come from, a PS5 or Series X? One X only gives $275 store credit with a Pro subscription.

Last edited:
I sold my original PS4 today. Got $215 store credit for it. $150 base value + $50 bonus + $15 (10% Gamestop Pro membership bonus). I didn't have the Pro membership when I walked in and the manager on duty said he could give me the $200, but if I wanted to upgrade to the Pro membership for $14.99, the extra $15 trade-in value would pay for itself. I don't plan on doing much business with Gamestop, but having what is essentially a free Pro membership could be worth it now that I have a brand new PS5.

However, also note, if you've swapped out hard drives, your local Gamestop may or may not take the console. I went to one GS and the rep said he couldn't accept my PS4 because it was "custom." I told the dude, yeah, the hard drive is swapped out (I replaced the 500GB for a 1TB), but it's a bigger hard drive than the base model. That didn't work, so I went down the street to the next GS and that location had no problem taking my PS4 with the larger hard drive. The manager on duty even said he was going to look through the system and see if he could give me more credit for the bigger drive, but said he couldn't after doing a few minutes of research. So, you know, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
I’m debating on trading in my PS4 pro. I have a big backlog of games I just started to play so I want to keep playing BUT since the ps5 is backwards compatible and this is such a great deal (and I want a 4K UHD player) I may do this. The issue is I may have to sit on it for a year since PS5’s won’t be available at GameStop for a while. (And I’m not paying $$$ for a crappy bundle ps5. I just want the system).

These consoles are going to be even more rare in the holiday season. Thats why they are taking anything. With the chip shortages.. its going to be a bloodbath. Do your holiday shopping soon. Black Friday is going to have the OUYA in demand.

(I remember when people thought that was going to kill consoles, lol. OUYA haha)

Duchess

I took my PS4 (standard) up to CEX when I got my PS5. They gave me £110 cash for it.

I told them that PT was installed to try and wrangle a bit more cash out of 'em, but they said they needed to wipe the machine anyway.

Humdinger

If it's just trade-in store credit, not cash, no thanks. I don't buy anything at Gamestop, so a store credit would just sit on my card for years. Or else, I'd have to visit Gamestop repeatedly, just to use up the credit. Nah. Good deal for those who shop at Gamestop, though.

Top Bottom